Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

I went running earlier today. The temperature was very pleasant and mild. I don’t know what you guys are talking about, the weather is perfect for running 😎

But since we're talking about weather, can I rant about the fact that everybody else is seemingly unaffected by the sun rays, sitting on direct sun light in the cafes as if nothing is happening, whereas with me it seems there's a press iron pressed against my skin at all times.

Also, I think we've talked about this before, but during summer you can only run at 5 or max. 6am. Anytime after that is silly.

Piwi - yeah, me too, I’m old fashioned I guess. I just call it humid, too hot, cool and “hell is freezing over”.

I also use a simplified color pallet with just about 6 or 7 colours.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

I prepped a bottle of electrolytes last night for this morning's workout, and naturally forgot it.
      The workout was certainly tough - particularly the last mile of the 2x 2mi, and the 800s felt worse than they were. 140+ Kiwi Point didn't help (freakin' fog on the track, though it has largely burned off as of now). I think this workout would have been substantially easier last week when we had some cooler weather, or even if I did it again in a couple weeks after some more heat acclimatization.

A 17 mile-long HM??? If that was any sort of "go hard" race I'd certainly crash and have to run/walk it in after no more than 13.25-13.5mi.

RP - You're right about a lot of Alaska. I lived up there for a summer after I graduated high school. During that summer they hit all-time highs of maybe 93F/33.9C. I didn't have any problem with the heat at all (even wore jeans some), but everyone else up there thought they were going to die, ice cream was literally selling out everywhere... Of course these are also people who would go to the store wearing shorts and a hoodie when it's 0F/-17.7C out.

5k: 17:58 11/22 â”‚ 10k: 37:55 9/21 â”‚ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 â”‚ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

darkwave

Mother of Cats

RP - You're right about a lot of Alaska. I lived up there for a summer after I graduated high school. During that summer they hit all-time highs of maybe 93F/33.9C. I didn't have any problem with the heat at all (even wore jeans some), but everyone else up there thought they were going to die, ice cream was literally selling out everywhere... Of course these are also people who would go to the store wearing shorts and a hoodie when it's 0F/-17.7C out.

In contrast, I was in Florida a few years ago in January when they had a cold snap.  Dropped down to 28 degrees (I think that's -1 C).  So I jogged to a local yoga studio in tights, a running jacket, and mittens.  As one does.

The staff of the yoga studio was STUNNED I had jogged two miles over from my hotel.  And begged and pleaded for me to let them call a cab for me, rather than expose myself to such severe conditions again for another 20 minute jog.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Since we've been talking about electrolyte drinks, any recommendations? I want to avoid sugar in my drink as I complete all of my long runs with no nutrition. I think Nuun is the go to here, but wondering if there is anything else out there.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Letesenbet GIDEY just broke the 10000m record that was 2 DAYS old from Sifan Hassan (She ran 29:01). You may not have heard of her but she's also the World 5000m record holder with a time of 14:06 earlier this year.

How about that olympics 10000 race huh?

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - I've really been liking LMNT for electrolytes. It's a powder packet with a greater quantity of electrolytes than probably anything else, but you can vary the amount of powder/water to get the level you like.
              Just a tiny bit of Stevia in the flavored versions (10 calories total here), and I haven't noticed any weird film or aftertaste with it.
              While I do have a referral link I'll send if you want it, I thought I also had a way to get a free sample sent out but I can't find it right now (still looking).
              It is more expensive per packet/tablet than most other stuff (mixing a discount code + subscription box and pushing the deliveries out a bunch until I actually need more helps cut this down) but on a $/mg of electrolytes basis it's probably a wash or a little less expensive.

Wow, that message ended up being much longer than I figured...

Flavio - I want to believe. But with the lack of testing since covid cropped up I'm more suspicious than I usually would be.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Flavio - I want to believe. But with the lack of testing since covid cropped up I'm more suspicious than I usually would be.

Ditto.  Should mention that my suspicions are not limited to non-US runners.

The good news is that USADA/WADA do have some other ways to bust dopers besides testing, and they have been having some success.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - that looks great! Nuun I was never crazy about, I can't pin point what it was, but the one race I ran it was almost like a chalky taste. Send me a DM with your referral link.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

zebano

That's better than me. I just assume they're all doping.

Speaking of doping, has anyone watched Icarus?

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Flavio was that at the Ethiopian trials ?

I watched most of that on YouTube yesterday except the ladies 10 000m.

Talk about a ridiculous amount of talent in those races. So many great runners missing out on not been top 3 for their country.

I don't have any clue about the doping. Alot of these athletes seem so nice and innocent doing the best for their families.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

watsonc123

+1 for most/all elites are not clean. Across most sports.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Running Problem

Problem Child

Electrolyte drink

i did this one. Doesn’t taste like anything. If I remember correctly they’re in Oklahoma.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Yeah unfortunately too many runners been busted over the last few years. Remember Aspel Kiprop or Kiptum the half and 10k sensation.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Since we've been talking about electrolyte drinks, any recommendations? I want to avoid sugar in my drink as I complete all of my long runs with no nutrition. I think Nuun is the go to here, but wondering if there is anything else out there.

I use Endura Rehydration Performance Fuel but that won't tick the box for 'no nutrition' for you as it does have carbs as well.

Re doping - I think most/all is probably too cynical although I get why people could form that view.  Substantial minority would be my uninformed opinion of how widespread it is.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

DWave - I certainly don't think Americans are beyond suspicion, either.
                                Some of the non-active drug testing methods I'm aware of rely on comparing old/new blood values or statistical analysis of past and current running abilities. Which kinda falls down the "newer" a competitor is on the scene when a huge performance happens.

Zebano - I've seen it. Lance is/was a super-sketchy something-or-other, but outside of the doping and related stuff is/was an incredibly gifted athlete. The Western States 100 essentially has a "Lance Armstrong rule".  A few years back he said he'd like to run it, and they rather quickly came out with a rule stating that anyone who had been banned from any sport for drugs can never run States.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4