Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - You certainly don't HAVE to use it. Try whatever you like without regard for me!

Weight lifting - All this talk really highlights my own lack of knowledge (and experience, clearly) in this realm.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

The one I have is from Reno.  Synerplex. Tastes the same as yours.

I've run past this place many times and NEVER heard of them. I guess I would have expected them to give out free supplies at races to get more well known.

EDIT: caffeine free? i'll pass. 

Marky Mark Locally I have to show ID when purchasing the same medication for the same reason. Apparently I can buy only a certain amount of allergy medicine, but not enough for a month, because meth. "Oh I'm sorry, I follow the law. How about you use your little database to see if I've been caught making meth, and if I haven't sell me a 30-45 day supply so I don't have to come back every 10 days or risk running out for three days."

squats I use to LOVE leg day. I never had someone show me the proper way to do the clean/jerk/snatch Olympic lifts so I never attempted them. I probably would have liked it though. Seems much easier than racking weights for squats. I'm more into TRX these days. By "into" I mean I remind myself I should be doing it more frequently because it helps with running. Monday's session was a LOT more uncomfortable because I re-read the instruction book about how each exercise is SUPPOSED to be performed. I must have let my form slip over the past year of doing nothing with them and going off memory. OOF I can see why it helped.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Thanks for all the advice on weights etc. At 53 its probably surprising that I've never done weights before but I'm encouraged that you all rate it so highly.

I don't think my recent 1.23.30 will progress to 1.19 like Andres but if I can shave something off it with the help of strength then its worth it.

The split squat looks interesting.

The front grip squat will allow me to get a bit more weight up as I don't have to lift it over my head.

I may bang together a makeshift rack that I keep in the garage.

Darkwave for extra testosterone...I know a Facebook page 💀 🤣

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

zebano

whelp, I took my son to buy shoes for XC and I walked out of there with some Saucony Pro V1s. Not sure what I'm going to do with my Vanish-R but I'm excited to wear these.

Piwi - Great callback

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

whelp, I took my son to buy shoes for XC and I walked out of there with some Saucony Pro V1s. Not sure what I'm going to do with my Vanish-R but I'm excited to wear these.

I wonder what percentage of people on these boards buy shoes they don't truly need. I will say: I could shop in running and golf stores all day long. I hate normal shopping, but I LOVE looking at these places.

I feel like I've heard of some of you having like 10 different pairs of shoes in your home.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

watsonc123

Re squats v deadlifts, I think squats are a better lift.  It is easy to grind out a large deadlift.

I am very unbalanced between the two. A long time ago, I would back squat around 60kg and deadlift 180kg.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I wonder what percentage of people on these boards buy shoes they don't truly need. I will say: I could shop in running and golf stores all day long. I hate normal shopping, but I LOVE looking at these places.

I have many, many, many running shoes

Sig other used to give me trouble because there was no way I needed so many pairs of running shoes.

My defense was to point out that he had two cars, and there was no way he needed so many cars.

He sold one of the cars a month ago.  I've been dodging the topic ever since.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Marky_Mark_17

I feel like I've heard of some of you having like 10 different pairs of shoes in your home.

I don't have as many as Darkwave, but I've got probably 6-7 pairs of running shoes actively in the rotation at most points in time.  Plus probably another 6-7 pairs stockpiled.

If the topic comes up, I would offer to sell one of the pairs of shoes and leave it there.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

zebano

Jmac, absolutely true. I think I have 8 pairs of running shoes right now. It's a bit  ridiculous but I looked at everything in the store from hydration packs, to shoes and electrolyte supplements. They even gave me a margarita made with nuun.

Re squats v deadlifts, I think squats are a better lift.  It is easy to grind out a large deadlift.

I am very unbalanced between the two. A long time ago, I would back squat around 60kg and deadlift 180kg.

Having a better DL than squat is normal, but that is a huge difference. For me the difference is like 30kgs.  Huge deadlift btw, kudos.

DW  oh lol that is .... impressive.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I have many, many, many running shoes

Sig other used to give me trouble because there was no way I needed so many pairs of running shoes.

My defense was to point out that he had two cars, and there was no way he needed so many cars.

Where is RLK when we need her?

If one car is inoperable or unsafe to drive above 35 mph does it really count? It’s like saying running shoes that aren’t for races/workouts count. They don’t, do they?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

DW sponsored by Adidas 

I love buying shoes but my wife has me in her sights and generally I wait till its Xmas or my birthday or Father's day etc. My retired shoes go to piwi junior who is the same shoe size and is young enough to not notice the wear in the midsole.

I think the weights are already starting to pay off for me. I did a 3 x 2km workout today and had really good butt tension 😬

Felt strong throughout 💪

JamesD

JamesD

...I could shop in running and golf stores all day long. I hate normal shopping, but I LOVE looking at these places...

Well, it looks like you could buy ProV1s in both kinds of stores.

Thank you, darkwave.  Your spreadsheet will be useful the next time my son suggests that my interest in running is excessive for a grownup.  I'm pretty sure your active shoes are worth more than my (2001 model year) car.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Adios 6 is out Darkwave....just saying 😌

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Adios 6 is out Darkwave....just saying 😌

I am aware.  Considering it.  Though I'm not happy with the direction the Adios line has been going.

FWIW, that list does slightly exaggerate my Imelda Marcos tendencies.  Basically I'm saving the highest mileage shoes for my next trip - often times when I travel, I bring a pair of about-to-be retired shoes with me.  Then I toss them at the end of the trip rather than lug them home.  But I haven't travelled much in the past year+.

I'm also about to list the Endorphin Pros and the Adizero Pros on eBay, so those will come off the list also.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

If one car is inoperable or unsafe to drive above 35 mph does it really count? It’s like saying running shoes that aren’t for races/workouts count. They don’t, do they?

Both cars were in very good shape when he sold the one.  Lovingly maintained (he IS a car guy).

He actually hung onto the one (a VW GTI) until he had a chance to drive down to NC/Tennessee to drive the Tail of the Dragon.  Which I guess is similar to one of us running the NYC Marathon or something.  Then once he had done that, he sold it.

[and yes, this means that he drove several hundred miles so that he could drive a dangerous road in the middle of nowhere before driving several hundred miles home.]