Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

zebano

Some prefer the phrase ‘detail oriented’ and others ‘nerd out’ and I’m a little surprised. I expected you to have specific shoes for specific purposes just based on your abilities and (if I remember correctly…actuary?) your job. I have multiple pairs of the same shoe, and convert old shoes to ‘dad shoes’ which sucks when the only shoes I have to go out are bright Orange, blue, green, or some off white stained color. 

dwave I like the ‘treadmill’ shoes. I wish gyms would have thought about that. The problem I’ve found with having multiple pairs of the same shoe in the same color is keeping track of them. Break them in evenly and you have 8 shoes to track. It gets confusing. It’s easier to allow yourself two colors to make tracking them easier. 

anyone else give your shoes ‘nicknames’ in Garmin? I call mine ‘orange swoosh’ and ‘NEWER Orange Shoes’ so I don’t mix them up. Also because I’m different in a weird way. 

My gym does ask that we bring in different shoes for the gym than the ones we enter in. I firmly believe that Pink shoes are the fastest shoes around and I think your dad shoe collection is clearly missing out. More importantly how are your non-white shoes not stained? As for nicknames, yup for some of them: "green speedies", "black trailers", "pink kicks" nothing very creative.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

The problem I’ve found with having multiple pairs of the same shoe in the same color is keeping track of them. Break them in evenly and you have 8 shoes to track. It gets confusing. It’s easier to allow yourself two colors to make tracking them easier. 

Take a sharpie and write a number on the back.  i.e. your third pair of blue Nike Streaks has a "3" written on the outsole of each.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I honestly never cared about having different shoes for the treadmill (because I didn't run on treadmills) until I bought one.

If you wear your outdoor shoes on the treadmill, that's more dirt and gunk that goes onto the belt.  Which can then get into the motor compartment.  So having different "indoor only" shoes for the treadmill extends your treadmill's life.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

A couple weeks ago DW did some reorganizing in our closet and afterwards told me "you have a problem" - referring to my collection of running shoes.

Altra Escalante - Everyday mileage, usually LRs.
          Altra Rivera - Basically a slightly more cushioned version of the above. Combo of recovery runs/easy/maybe LR.

Altra Superior - Trail shoes (don't get much use).

Altra Escalante Racer - Former race/workout shoes, these are now a "travel" pair of shoes that I typically keep in a drawstring bag in my car, along with a pair of shorts and socks. You know, just in case I end up somewhere and want to go run randomly...
          Saucony Endorphin Speed - Workouts.
          Saucony Endorphin Pro - Cheater race shoes.
          Nike VF 4% - Workouts/former cheater race shoes

Of course she didn't see the NIB pairs (one each) of Escalantes and Endorphin Speeds that are sitting in the garage awaiting their turn in the rotation...

I do use nicknames for my shoes in Garmin/Strava to help keep track of them. Hazards of buying multiple pairs in the same colorway due to no one else wanting those colors (leading to them being discounted, which is why I bought them to begin with).

Has anyone run in the Skechers Razor Excess? I've heard good things, but haven't been able to try any locally.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

Zeb of course pink shoes are faster. Why do you think Nike added pink on those ultra fast running shoes used on a closed course, and made their next% shoe option pink. It wasn’t a female version (shrink it and pink it).

dwave i considered numbering the,. After about 100 miles. It was easier when I kept them at different locations (work/home) but that’s so 2019.

keen with your weekly mileage it doesn’t even make sense to track shoes other than by month. If I ran as much as you I’d consider buying 6 pairs of shoes at the beginning of the year hoping to make it to the next sale.

I wish the days of $60 shoes would come back. I miss those days.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Outdoor track workouts - Adidas Adios Boost 2 (Black)

Outdoor long runs - Adidas Sub 2, Adidas SL 20, Adidas Adios Boost 4 (white+red)

Easy runs - Adidas Adios Boost 5, Adidas SL 20, Nike Streak 6.

Treadmill speed/tempo - Adidas Adios Boost 2 (blue)

Treadmill Long - Adidas Adios Boost 4 (all white)

Treadmill easy - Sketchers Go Meb

Marathon - Vaporfly OG 4%

10 Mile to Half - Nike Next % or possibly Puma Deviate Nitro Elite.

10K - Puma Deviate Nitro Elite.

Mile to 5K - New Balance RC Elite 1.

[I used to use the Next % for everything short of a marathon, but I really like both the Puma Deviate Nitro Elite and the NB RC Elite 1.  For the marathon, I think nothing is better than the OG VF 4%.  Unless it's raining.]

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

If we're going to toss around pseudo-psychiatric classifications, I think hoarding is a better fit.  OCD would be if I only bought my shoes in one color, and only on certain days of the week.

Ok, so it's just Mark then (Blue shoes, blue singlets, blue armbands...)

Zeb - I just need to start small with the Xeroshoes. I probably can run 1 to 2k with them.

They are very low to the ground, you can actually take out the insole so they’re even lower (5.5mm).

They’re very comfortable for walking around and I do walk a bit in them.

They’re also wide, so comfy for my duck feet.

Keen - I giggle a bit with the "DW" there, of course I know it means "Dear wife" but the thought of Darkwave going through your closet was pretty funny.

RP - Yeah, like Darkwave suggested, when I had many pairs of the same shoe, I've marked them with numbers 1, 2, 3.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Keen - I giggle a bit with the "DW" there, of course I know it means "Dear wife" but the thought of Darkwave going through your closet was pretty funny.

This was my thought too...I assumed "you have a problem" meant "you need more shoes"

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

watsonc123

I have never heard of the  Puma Deviate Nitro Elite.

RC Elite v1 for the 5k?  The reviews I have read were moderately good, v2 has better reviews although is more of a maximalist marathon shoe.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Running Problem

Problem Child

All this talk had me check sale shoes. I was so close to buying a pair of Altra Superior 4.5s just because they were on sale. I bought diesel fuel for my truck instead. Spending problem solved. Shoe obsession curbed.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Marky_Mark_17

Ok, so it's just Mark then (Blue shoes, blue singlets, blue armbands...)

That's just for races.  I would clearly exhaust all luck out of blue if I wore it all the time.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I have never heard of the  Puma Deviate Nitro Elite.

RC Elite v1 for the 5k?  The reviews I have read were moderately good, v2 has better reviews although is more of a maximalist marathon shoe.

Puma is making a real bid for the distance running market.  I recommend checking out their new line.  Here's a review of the Deviate Nitro Elite.

The RC Elite 1 has much less cushion/lower stack height, which I prefer.  My main issue with it is that it's structured to encourage pronation, which means that it can encourage you to collapse inwards.  For that reason, I don't feel I could wear it for anything longer than a 5K.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I should also mention that I am of course available to all on this thread to come out and go through your closet.  I'll even be happy to tell you if you have a problem.  You will need to cover airfare, housing, and food.  Priority given to those locations within a half mile/800m of a Chipotle.

JamesD

JamesD

James - Have you had good luck with eBay shoes? I'm cynical enough I always wonder how many miles are really on those shoes and I've heard stories of knock offs that don't perform anywhere near the name brand.

The Turbo 2s have been my only eBay purchase so far, and I was reasonably satisfied with the process.  The price was around $100, enough lower than Nike's standard price ($140 or $150, I think) before the model was discontinued that I thought it was worth the risk but high enough that I was pretty sure they were real.  They looked new as advertised and came by the promised date.  The seller seemed to be a high-volume operation with lots of positive reviews, and the shoes came with an authenticity guarantee from eBay (not the seller).  They certainly seem legit.  The only issue was that they were listed as men's 9.5 (women's 11), while the pair that arrived are labeled as women's 11.  I don't know if there's any difference.  The shoes do seem longer and more narrow than my feet, but I don't know if that has anything to do with their being a women's size, and running in them has been fine.

When I'm looking for discontinued shoes, I've usually had good luck with Amazon.  They just didn't have any Turbo 2s when I looked.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

JamesD

JamesD

A couple weeks ago DW did some reorganizing in our closet and afterwards told me "you have a problem" - referring to my collection of running shoes.

You do have a problem, but it's not your shoes, it's the phrase, "our closet."  Separate closets have been the foundation of our long and happy marriage.  My DW has more purses than darkwave has active shoes (to be fair, the purses last longer and she buys them less frequently), but as long as we don't see each other's excesses, we're good.  

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32