Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

Will hop back on later tonight

my week last week I managed to continue to stay within my target 30-35 miles again.

The last four weeks I had managed at least 1 HM distance per week this week I opted for 2 double digit run back to back haven't done that in forever.

same route both days, same perceived effort but much faster the second morning. I think because I got out a bit earlier on Sunday.

Weekly for period: From: 06/07/2021 To 06/13/2021

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
    in ft
    06/07 Evening Walk with Becky in Neighborhood 1.00 1.61 01:22:00 82:00 50:56 0
    06/08 Evening Run 4.40 7.08 00:41:56 09:32 05:55 26
    06/09 Evening Walk with Becky in Neighborhood 1.50 2.41 00:29:00 19:20 12:02 0
    06/10 Evening Run 5.31 8.54 00:48:56 09:13 05:44 72
    06/12 Morning Run 11.01 17.71 01:40:05 09:05 05:39 305
    06/13 Morning Run 11.01 17.71 01:34:56 08:37 05:22 305

Total distance: 34.22mi

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

zebano

Zebano - nice race.  Sorry you lost your bet.

I did 34:2x in the cross country, I was late stopping the watch.  It was about 300 metres longer than 2019, so although I was slower, my pace was a little quicker than two years ago.  Conditions were very good, quite warm for winter.

Nice work year over year! You have the flattest XC races! Good luck with recovery.

Piwi  Good week, especially the 2k repeats @ 10k! The front door just screams "a runner lives here"!

Mark Solid week but most of the titles are just gibberish. At least you explained the 600 million. Have fun with the trail 10k!

James You have become Mr. Consistent. I'm jealous. 4mile tempo at 150 Kiwipoint is stellar.

RP Sounds like a fun little adventure. Trips like that do a lot to keep running fresh and exciting for me. Glad you're strong enough the climbs don't destroy you anymore.

Steve - So sorry about your Mum. Good week and I hope you can find enough rest to get back to a healthy mental state regardless of if you race or not.

Flavio - All the best to your Dad.

Keen  - I did not need to know that!! I actually have a pair of Kinvara 11s sitting boxed up waiting for my NB 890s to expire.

DW Good luck with the race and weather, I've a couple of clubmates heading up there. I think one is targeting 2:30 for the marathon and the other is racing the half. I love that lake.

CFarr Nice back 2 back long runs!

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Zeb Oh I'm still worried about the climbs destroying me. I almost have a fear the running I'm accompanying will get great weather and be in a Sub 24 hour shape, and I'll slow him down. Lass time (only time) it was more of a "just get through the night together and keep him moving. He knows what he has to do" kind of thing. It's very much NOT like a marathon where I could do some math and figure out a pace we need to keep to finish a 3:30 marathon with a 1:30 first half.

Steve My grandfather passed away the weekend of a goal marathon. I decided before anyone called I was doing the race. When I received the phone call I told them "if you plan on doing this Sunday morning I won't be there. I have a race and I know this sounds selfish, but I'm going to the race. If you have it at like 12:30 I'll show up because it's a 2 hour drive and I won't even change." Sorry you have to deal with this right now. Similar to JMac I found running to help me keep things blocked out until it was a better time to deal with things. I did a similar thing when one of my groomsman passed away. I blocked it out until jogging home one morning I had to take a detour because I knew the emotions were coming and I wasn't going to be able to block them out. I PR'd my marathon, and still miss my groomsman but neither were delt with in anger (my usual prefered method) and I had MY time and moment to handle them. I also felt bad for my uncle at one point and traveled to help empty the house knowing it wasn't an easy task and he wouldn't get help unloading the stuff no one wanted (books, silverware, beds, couches, etc.).

Piwi I kind of agree. I'll see if my youtube video skills are up to snuff. I took my GoPro and there were DEFINATELY some sections that were just vertical and too much for me. The strava segment leaderboards just put me into a "how the fuck is that even possible" mentality when I see other runner's times. It's like seeing Marky Mark and JMac run their workouts and try to comprehend their paces being not good enough.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Steve - my dad died of cancer, so we knew it was coming. About 2-3 weeks before the race we knew treatment was off the table, so it was just a matter of time. I think that made a big difference in whether I was able to run the race. I knew that going and running was a benefit for me given how much time I had spent with him over the previous weeks. Plus, I had clearly dealt with emotional part for months at that point. If he had died suddenly, I don't think I would have been able to run.

Non-runners will never understand your decision if you go to run. You will be viewed as selfish. You just can't let that bother you. I had a cousin of my dad's who said she wouldn't come to the wake because she "didn't want to remember him like that" and I 100% understood. Everyone deals with grief differently.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

Non-runners will never understand your decision if you go to run. You will be viewed as selfish. You just can't let that bother you. I had a cousin of my dad's who said she wouldn't come to the wake because she "didn't want to remember him like that" and I 100% understood. Everyone deals with grief differently.

+1

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

I just found out my coach got hit by a car while riding her bike on Sunday.  She has fractured ribs and a fractured pelvis and apparently has also smashed her femur up inside the hip socket.  Really gutted for her.  I was actually a bit worried anyway as she hadn't updated my program for this week which she is normally super diligent in doing so I was concerned something might've happened to her.  Then I got a message from her when I got back from my run and my heart just sank.

Ugh, I remember being in hospital with my knee injury a few years back.  They are the worst.  Going to go up and visit her as it's quite close to work.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Thanks for all the insights and thoughts on what to do.  I have a meeting today with all the health professionals and a social worker to plan the next move.  I hope that will bring some clarity as to what might happen in the next few weeks.

JMac - Yep, I'm sure non-runners who are removed from the situation won't understand.  I'll do my best not to let that worry me, but I won't be afraid to give my views to people who have been missing for the last 5 years while I've been doing everything.

RP - Sounds like you dealt with it as best as you could.  With my Dad's untimely (and horrific) passing, I definitely went the anger and alcohol route.  I was starting to emerge when earthquakes started levelling my home town but that did give me a focus (after a long bout of injury and laziness I got back into running and raised about 10K for the Red Cross appeal as part of a race).

Mark - Ugh, that is terrible.  How long will she be in hospital and rehab?  I agree that those places are not pleasant and I don't know how I'd deal with a long spell inside.

It's getting close to the shortest day, which is next week I think, and I've been paying attention to the light at 7:30am which is race start time and it's been very dark this week, albeit in cloudy and foggy weather.  I hadn't really thought about it until now but the first 30-45 minutes will be pretty dark which is new for me in a race.  With 12 days to go it looks like there will be another significant rain even this weekend (there was extensive flooding 2 weeks ago) which looks like it will be done by midweek of race week.  Usually in behind a southerly is some nice settled weather so I may get lucky.  I really need the southerly to be brutal until about Friday to get the calm after the storm though.  Mark I hope that level of obsessing continues to make you proud.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Mark - Ugh, that is terrible.  How long will she be in hospital and rehab?  I agree that those places are not pleasant and I don't know how I'd deal with a long spell inside.

Surgery isn't until next Monday so I'd say she's looking at another 10 days or so at least in hospital and from the sounds of things a LOT of rehab.  I was lucky to only be in there for like 4 days with my knee, because it was a compound fracture they rushed me into surgery ASAP, and that was bad enough.

It's getting close to the shortest day, which is next week I think, and I've been paying attention to the light at 7:30am which is race start time and it's been very dark this week, albeit in cloudy and foggy weather.  I hadn't really thought about it until now but the first 30-45 minutes will be pretty dark which is new for me in a race.  With 12 days to go it looks like there will be another significant rain even this weekend (there was extensive flooding 2 weeks ago) which looks like it will be done by midweek of race week.  Usually in behind a southerly is some nice settled weather so I may get lucky.  I really need the southerly to be brutal until about Friday to get the calm after the storm though.  Mark I hope that level of obsessing continues to make you proud.

So proud!  The only way I could've been more impressed is if you'd specifically identified the shortest day (21 June).

I do love a good southerly too so I'll hope for the same.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

Steve - with Wellington being more east and more north, 7:30am is light.

Mark - oh dear.  She unfortunately has a long recovery ahead.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

JMac11

RIP Milkman

So proud!  The only way I could've been more impressed is if you'd specifically identified the shortest day (21 June).

If you're really into know sunrise/sunset times, then actually the most impressive thing you could have said is that latest sunrise date is actually after June 21 in the southern hemisphere.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Well now I had to look it up...

On June 27, the sun will rise in Wellington at 7:47am (Christchurch will be 8:03am - I figured it would be a few minutes difference, that is a bigger difference than I expected).  So unless the weather is terrible it will be light enough at the start not to require a head torch or anything.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Running Problem

Problem Child

+2.

Marky Mark https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/truck-driver-16-years-crash-killed-bicyclists-78185962#:~:text=The%20Arizona%20box%20truck%20driver%20who%20killed%20five,Vegas.%20%28L.E.%20Baskow%2FLas%20Vegas%20Review-Journal%20via%20AP%2C%20File%29

This is the article I was mentioning on Strava.

Steve The honest truth about the alcohol route is you still have to deal with literally everything else. You CAN'T drink it away, and you still have to wake up and do all the adulting things. Eventually you hit a point where it's been 3 months and you look back thinking "damn I just wasted 3 months being a drunk idiot" and you now have to catch up.

$10,000 for Red Cross? DAMN! I've never been one to fundraise so congrats and thanks.

sunrise/sunset I went to Yellowstone (45th parallel) on the Summer Solstice 2020. It was miserable because my 2.5 year old son slept when it was dark (9:30pm) and woke up when it was light (about 5am) and was horrible to deal with when his bedtime is usually 7:45-8:00pm and grandparents just want to laugh at my misfortune. It DID come to mind this weekend when at 5am I decided to go running and the last time I remember doing that I needed a headlamp for at least an hour of the run because it was still dark out. The disadvantage THIS time was I was up until probably 11:30pm and had just run to some stupid hut the day before. Oddly, I think this trail running stuff is working well for leg strength and mental toughness. Maybe I'm just making that up as a reason to keep doing it this month.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

If you're really into know sunrise/sunset times, then actually the most impressive thing you could have said is that latest sunrise date is actually after June 21 in the southern hemisphere.

latest sunrise date. Interesting way to put it. I'd call it "shortest day of the year" with "day" meaning "the sun is up" since it's the summer solstice in the land of Bald Eagles and Metric equivalents.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

latest sunrise date. Interesting way to put it. I'd call it "shortest day of the year" with "day" meaning "the sun is up" since it's the summer solstice in the land of Bald Eagles and Metric equivalents.

No that's the point, the shortest day of the year is not the same day as the latest sunrise (and conversely, the earliest sunset has already passed and is getting later for them yet we aren't at the solstice)

Meh if its cloudy or clear that day then all your predictions will be out  😆

Steve thats a fine fundraising effort 👏

My wife and daughter were booked to come down to see the other daughter tomorrow but have canceled but we are coming in early July for my wife's birthday. If you have some calmness in your life by then hopefully we can get a jog in. And if you are recovered from the marathon 😉

Mark biking is so dangerous. It might be better on your knees but not when you crash.

Corey nice week !

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "