Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

No that's the point, the shortest day of the year is not the same day as the latest sunrise (and conversely, the earliest sunset has already passed and is getting later for them yet we aren't at the solstice)

I just keep headlamp/torch ready to go and dont check when sunrise is. Much easier than checking an app on my phone to figure out when I can run. 😃

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Marky_Mark_17

If you're really into know sunrise/sunset times, then actually the most impressive thing you could have said is that latest sunrise date is actually after June 21 in the southern hemisphere.

YES!  Although it only makes around 3 minutes difference.

Marky Mark https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/truck-driver-16-years-crash-killed-bicyclists-78185962#:~:text=The%20Arizona%20box%20truck%20driver%20who%20killed%20five,Vegas.%20%28L.E.%20Baskow%2FLas%20Vegas%20Review-Journal%20via%20AP%2C%20File%29

This is the article I was mentioning on Strava.

Ugh that's terrible.  We see a bit of car vs. bike here but fortunately very little truck vs. bike.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/117044552/christchurch-barber-student-cycling-to-course-when-fatally-struck-by-truck

Unfortunately it still happens sometimes.  This happened in a construction zone for a new motorway which was completed last year.  The area was where a bridge was being built which is now the main route into Prebbleton, where I live. The poor parents live here and I often wonder how they feel when they have to drive over it.  There's a bike path up the motorway now and under that bridge is a cross and a photo of Fyfa which I reflect on every time I go past even though my only contact was when I went to the Fruit and Vege shop she worked at.

Any time I think of becoming a cyclist, even just for commuting, I stop and think about the danger.  Piwi makes a very good point on this.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Piwi that's a lot of shoes at the front door nice job on the 3x2km run to go with a nice week

Zebano good job on the 5k race too bad you came up a bit short..and the Green Apple Gatorade and burpees don't sound like a good mix and for the record I agree with DW I'd choose Burpees before the Gatorade too..

glad you had fun though.

Watson nice Job on the XC race nice week as well

James Sorry about your nagging injuries, hope you recover soon

Steve nice week, So sorry to hear about your Mum too, all the best to you and your family, Sounds like you have made your decision about racing or not. I agree with Jmac just do what you think is right for you.

Flavio nice week good luck with your journey, sorry to hear about your father, best to you and your family

Mark nice week sorry to hear about your coach hope she recovers soon.

DW nice week good luck with the taper

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Zebano - Sounds like a good race in poor conditions, with rather unpleasant punishment afterwards! I agree with DWave's assessment of both gatorade and

Flavio - Sorry to hear about your dad. Here's hoping he makes a full, quick recovery.

JMac - I do agree with you on running through family crisis.

Mark - Hate to hear that happening to your coach. Is she doing any better today, or can they really tell yet? Hopefully it's not going the other way.

Piwi, Mark, Steve - Good weeks.

DWave - Best of luck with the remainder of your taper week.

RP is trying to turn himself into a mountain goat training for States.

Random: Does anyone else seem to remember gatorade being really salty back in the early 90s, instead of sweet like it is today?

Booked a room for CIM - a B&B a mile from the finish. Largely due to DW deciding that she can (and will) be accompanying me. Because there's no way a grown man can handle travelling halfway across the country for a race without his wife there to help him.

Another big workout coming tomorrow. This time I need to make sure I don't forget my water bottle.

Weekly for period: From: 06/07/2021 To 06/13/2021

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
            in ft
            06/07 6 rabbits, 1 mama armadillo with 4 babies, & 2 lightning bugs 13.11 21.10 01:45:42 08:04 05:01 574
            06/07 1 tiny turtle basking in the sun 4.65 7.49 00:39:58 08:36 05:20 190
            06/08 6 rabbits, 3 ducks, & 1 Mississippi kite 9.50 15.29 01:21:18 08:33 05:19 289
            06/09 2x 2mi @ ~10k (4 minute reco) + 2x 800m @ >5k effort (3 minute reco) 13.80 22.21 01:44:23 07:34 04:42 217
            06/09 Everything smart is staying out of the sun 4.15 6.67 00:36:34 08:49 05:29 174
            06/10 7 turkeys, 3 rabbits, & 2 herons 8.56 13.77 01:15:19 08:48 05:28 331
            06/11 4 deer (4 strides) & 2 rabbits 8.65 13.92 01:13:48 08:32 05:18 390
            06/11 1 blind spot (not mine) 4.15 6.68 00:35:47 08:37 05:21 161
            06/12 9 Mississippi kites & 3 rabbits 15.11 24.30 02:03:11 08:09 05:04 577
            06/13 2 rabbits & 1 owl 4.25 6.84 00:37:10 08:45 05:26 118

Total distance: 85.94mi

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

Mark This was a pretty remote area. Searchlight, Nevada isn't a popular area to travel to. 539 people live there. Population density of 44.1. Summer temps of 43-44C and winter temps of 24-27C. It is a 2 lane highway with enough of a shoulder to consider a bike lane, and a rumble strip for drivers to wake up if they fall asleep. Oh and a few MASSIVE solar fields.

Keen is right. I'm trying to become a mountain goat. The guy I'm pacing at States is possibly in better shape than SeattleMax when I paced in 2019. Max happened to do Dragon's Back shortly before States, and I'd just run my heat stroked 3:05 at Mt. Charleston after Chicago so I had a good solid base. It was a lot of hiking, and the race had a boat at the river. No boat this year and probably more running. Maybe that will help. Either way it's another bad decision I've made in life.  Roll this into CIM training soon. A sub 3 is going to take more work this time. I can't even imagine doing a tempo run at 7:00/mi right now.

Keen I think the wife more wants a weekend away from the kids and is blaming your previous marathon experiences out of town on her requirement to accompany you. "honey remember last time when your tummy hurt? I have to be there to make sure you don't get another tummy ache."

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Booked a room for CIM - a B&B a mile from the finish. Largely due to DW deciding that she can (and will) be accompanying me. Because there's no way a grown man can handle travelling halfway across the country for a race without his wife there to help him.

As much as I love the wife and kids, traveling to CIM on Friday alone is pretty great. You have all the excuses in the world to just sit in your hotel and do absolutely nothing for 48 hours except watch movies and read books. It's a rare opportunity to actually do that, even on other vacations. Plus, Sacramento isn't exactly a touristy town 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Sacramento isn't exactly a touristy town 

It might not have as much to ignore as New York, but it is no New Jersey.

Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 17-55-43 Themuffreport on Instagram “You know it’s bad when even a Ca...png

At least Sacramento has a golf course or five, some local breweries, museums and the State Capitol, a library, a nearby off road park, a baseball team, an NBA team that no one really watches, and a high population density. Big grin

VDOT 53.37 

Keen excellent marathon training week for you. I'm already halfway through this week 

Jmac yeah my wife loves traveling but it means the day before the race is likely to involve alot of sightseeing and walking 🚶‍♂️ 😀

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

zebano

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Marky_Mark_17

RP - I love that you guys have places with names like "Searchlight, Nevada".  It's like you have so many places that you've just taken to naming them after random objects.

Coach - went up to see her this morning and spent a couple of hours chatting.  She's in good spirits but not optimistic she'll run again after they've put her hip back together but I said it was probably too early to make that call one way or another.  Sounds like the driver just wasn't looking / alert and hit her from behind.  Anyway she'll be in hospital for a bit as the surgery isn't until next Monday, I'll try and visit her again as I know from experience how utterly boring hospitals can be (particularly if you're killing time waiting for surgery) so a bit of company goes a long way.

Keen - nice week.  So much wildlife!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark - I'm glad she's alive but that still sounds like a devastating outcome.  Good for you for visiting and helping her get through it.

I've felt a bit better this week and had some pop in my legs today with a small workout at HMP feeling pretty comfortable.  I actually hit paces 5-10 secs per km quicker than targeted and felt like I wasn't working too hard.  My sleep hasn't been great but hopefully that will pick up.

Had a meeting yesterday during which the health professionals advised that they will be executing power of attorney (which I have) and discharging Mum to a hospital care level rest home.  I've got a week to find a place and then get her settled in which won't be ideal for race week but I'm relieved there is a plan.  Obviously she's not too happy but seems to understand.

There is a very long term forecast out, which for Wellington (and most places) is pretty meaningless but I might as well obsess over it...

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/new-zealand/wellington/ext

12 degrees and light winds...perfect.  Lock it in please.

Still anxiously waiting to hear of some craziness from darkwave.  Does anyone have any particular strategies for eating in race week?  Any pre-loading of carbs or is that completely debunked now?  I do load up on water the day before race day so I don't need too much on race morning.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Still anxiously waiting to hear of some craziness from darkwave.  Does anyone have any particular strategies for eating in race week?  Any pre-loading of carbs or is that completely debunked now?  I do load up on water the day before race day so I don't need too much on race morning.

I wouldn’t get too obsessed about drinking loads of water unless it’s going to be really hot and sunny. I normally have my last big meal at lunch time the day before a marathon and then stick to snacks and liquid carbs. I used maurten drink mix 320 for pre loading and maurten gels during the race for my last couple of marathons as their products are meant to be easier on the stomach.

https://www.maurten.com/products/drink-mix-320

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Sorry - I've been tied up getting work and other matters all set so that I can take a few days of vacation to run my marathon.

Re: carbloading - this is something unique to each runner.  Some people will massively carb-binge before a marathon and it works for them.  I've tried that, and felt awful.  For myself, I can definitely overdo the carb-loading, and when I've done so, I've raced horribly.

Instead, I just eat a certain meal (rice with steak and veggies on top) from Chipotle (US chain) for the two days before a race.  I don't stuff myself, but try never to be hungry - I think that's the best rule of thumb.  Satiated but not bloated.

At this same marathon a few years ago, I got very nauseous and could barely eat anything the day before - a moderate lunch was all I could handle.  I ran a PR and earned a Moose mug.    So for me, the clear lesson is that I personally have a larger margin of error underdoing the carb-loading than overdoing it.

But you may be different.

If your long runs have gone well, just duplicate what you did for those.  That's much safer IMHO than trying to reinvent your dietary wheel the last days before your marathon.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

One year I did try crazy carb loading (eg was eating a bag of sour patch kids in between meals for any form of sugar). That didn't make me feel so good. I still do, for marathons only, try to focus on more carbs than usual. The one important part is a big reduction in fiber: I move from whole grains to simple grains for digestion reasons.

In terms of hydration, I've learned over the years it's much more important to be hydrated the night before and just have maybe one bottle of water the morning of. I used to overdo it morning of, and I'd have to use the bathroom 3 total times before the race, which is just excessive.

For gels, I took one at the start line last year and I'm glad I did. It's so much easier to digest that stuff earlier on in the race, so getting your first gel in at the start helps a lot if, like me, you struggle ingesting anything from mile 20 onward.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)