Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Good luck JMac and Keen.  JMac it always amuses me when you complain about the complaining since you may be the king of complaining .  The weather does look pretty rough for you guys.

Excuse me, I usually complain about complaining. Today, I am complaining about the lack of complaining. If you're going to complain about my complaining, get it right.

Regarding your long run, not sure what the purpose of that run is. What does distance mean? I wouldn't go much longer than a mile or two past your longest run. Whats the point of doing 26.2 miles easy? Itll just tire you out, increase injury risk, and delay recovery for not much benefit.

I'd just keep to your normal routine and do a normal long run this Sunday so that you can jump back into a race fairly quickly, maybe in 2-3 weeks.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Jmac good luck. It sounds nasty so sub 18 stuff will be good.

Keen same to you. No expectations with that forecast!

Steve all the best if you do the 42km training run. I would probably not do it but run something in the next few weeks that takes advantage of your marathon fitness. A half would be perfect as you will have a decent shot at 1.30.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I understand your thoughts that it seems somewhat pointless.  It's a way to get over the disappointment of potentially not doing a marathon for some time when I was really excited to be able to say I was part of the club.  If it wasn't my first I wouldn't do it.

JMac - A mile or 2 longer than my longest would be 39-40km.  Why not add 2 more to (sort of) join the marathon club?

I'm looking at a half on August 1 so I have 5 weeks.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Running Problem

Problem Child

Steve I think his point is doing a 40km long run does more harm than good.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Adding miles after 40 is exponential risk. It's not a linear function. The thing with marathon training is it takes a long time to recover, because the taper is steep and the recovery back is slow. Yes, you aren't running all out, but going 4 miles longer than your longest will take time.

Here's what I'd say: is there any chance of you running a marathon in the next 8 weeks? If yes, I wouldn't do it. If no, go for the celebration and run a nice paced marathon

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Yep, I get where you're coming from.  I've looked at all possible options and I'm still left with Wellington on October 10/17 (unless I want to do 17 small laps in Hagley Park - after doing 8.5 last year, twice, I said I'd never do that for a half again let alone a full).  So I've got about 14 weeks.  I'm looking at a half in 5 weeks.

Edit:  Agreed - if I was doing one in the next 8 weeks I wouldn't even be considering this.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Steve a half in 5 weeks is great. I would love to see you crack 1.30.

DW nice Race report sounds awful and yet you still would have smoked me.

Keen Nice week and good luck on the TT same to you Jmac.  the weather sounds terrible for both of you.

My toe is still bothering me it's a bit on and off, with no rhyme or reason, feels fine then is sore to the touch.  I've backed off a bit on my first 2 runs this week slowing down and cutting the miles to under 5 which sucks because I was hoping to get through the next 2 weeks with some higher mileage before I'm on vacation in July and was planning a down/low week.

I did buy a new pair of daily training shoes (Brooks Ghost 13) they should arrive today so I'm going to give them a try tomorrow and see how my toe and feet feel and determine if I need to go ahead and take some time off soon than I had planned.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - the universe is trying to tell you something, perhaps you should listen 😂

Keen - show up and blow up seems like a nice strategy. Maybe forget the watch this one time.

Steve - I'd run the half instead and cash all that fitness.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Absolutely blew up in my TT this morning. Pulled the plug at ~5.5k in when I realized that no matter how I tried holding on my rate of deceleration was accelerating. Probably should have back off at least 10 sec/mi to make it through. Oh, well.
                      Cut-back week starts tomorrow, and I'm pretty thrilled about it. Extrapolating to the end of the week (even without a recovery day today) I'll have averaged over 81mi/130km per week for the last 10 weeks.
                      A nice 65-70mi / 105-112km week sounds great!

Steve - So long as you really take it easy I wouldn't have a problem with doing the full distance by itself. A person certainly can run that far on just water/electrolytes (I've done this twice), but I don't know that I'd recommend it unless you've been doing all your LRs in a fasted state, and perhaps not unless you're already pretty low carb/ketogenic in your diet.
                      So long as you take it easy recovery shouldn't be too bad. Especially if you get in a lot of protein right after the effort, and if you can take advantage of a cryotherapy treatment center soon after that would (in my experience) tremendously help with recovery as well.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - as I learned in my last 5K at 145 TDP in full sunshine at 8:30 am, it's closer to 15 seconds per mile starting off . I had the same thing of just continual deceleration. It's so hard in the first mile to go slow because you feel like "this is way too easy for the start of a race this short" but the heat and humidity catches up to you unbelievably. I think pacing shorter races in heat/humidity is actually harder than marathon pacing.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - I totally should have double-checked everyone's favorite Kiwi Point adjustment chart before the run. I think I'm in about 30 minute 8k shape right now (given optimal conditions), and the recommended adjustment for 150 TDP is ~16 sec/mi. But wow, that just seems like a MASSIVE adjustment. On the other hand I'm sure that still would have ended up being quite challenging.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Here's what I'd say: is there any chance of you running a marathon in the next 8 weeks? If yes, I wouldn't do it. If no, go for the celebration and run a nice paced marathon

FWIW, I agree with this.  And....if your next marathon option isn't until October, perhaps this is the time to go and just jog the distance, and then take a nice week off.   I wouldn't skimp on the fluids and nutrition, though.  The marathon distance can be hard on the body independent of the pace.  And this might be a good chance to practice taking fluids and nutrition over the entire distance.

CK - I think that sounded like awful weather for a time trial.  And I'm not complaining on your behalf, just being a realist.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Every time I look at that chart, I go "there's no way I need a 15 second adjustment" and then it's almost spot on. You have to trust it. Worse comes to worse, you can negative split if you feel great 2/3 of the way through the race. You're not trying to run PRs in that kind of weather anyway.

Keen I saw your run on strava and was thinking only a 5k I thought it was an 8k race 🏁 🤔

Sounds nasty. The body has to use so much blood for cooling down there's not much left for fueling the aerobic system in that heat.

Your 8 x 1km repeats at 3.35/km show you are in beastly shape right now.

Corey good luck with the toe issue. Metatarsalgia comes to mind. I've had sore/bruised feeling toes from surfing but they don't seem to bother me running.