Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - I absolutely agree that solar radiation makes things SO much worse. Particularly if a person is used to doing the majority of their runs before/shortly after dawn, or even later in the afternoon when the sun isn't directly overhead.

Also, I'm sensing a gap in the NZ market for properly measured races. Perhaps we should setup our own race company and show those islanders how it's done??

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Jmac that sounds terrible. Meanwhile we have a cold front hitting us. I even had to wear thermals underneath yesterday 😩

That same race I did the 10k last year and even that was way off 9.8X kms. The half is over $90 kiwi earth credits too so not cheap.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Also, I'm sensing a gap in the NZ market for properly measured races. Perhaps we should setup our own race company and show those islanders how it's done??

I'm pretty sure that's why NZ isn't letting non-citizens in.   We'd fix all their short courses and erase all their PRs.

In strength related news, I started my leg strength focus.  Did a 5x5 of squats to almost-kinda-parallel at 105 pounds (47.5 kg).  That felt like work, but on the slightly easy side.  I'll go back on Friday and increase by 5-10 pounds.   I'd like to get back to squatting 135 pounds (61 kg), and I've got my work cut out to get there.

I've seen a lot of people mention body weight stuff, but that has never worked for me.  I've always seen my best running gains from barbell work, with a focus on split squats, barbell lunges, and squats.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac - Awful conditions.  When I was in Florida I scaled back my expectations with almost every run and in the end accepted even very easy paced runs would cause suffering.  Maybe if I hadn't just come from Christchurch winter I would have adapted better but I decided if I lived there I'd never train for a race.

I also would get really pissed off at the end of a race if it was obviously short.  Multiply that by 1000000 if I was close to a PR.

piwi - Yep, first real cold weather this year.  I'm glad it was a rest day yesterday - I usually don't mind that weather occasionally but with a slight hit to motivation it would have been a struggle dragging myself into 50-60km/h winds at about -5C (23F) with ice and snow stinging my face.

me - Thanks all for the support, it means a lot.

I got chased by a dog yet again on Monday - I entered the domain and saw a woman running with her dog (off leash) and when it saw me it took off in my direction and started nipping at my legs.  I was fine with its initial excitement but when it started going for me and not backing off I got really pissed off (possibly over the top) and yelled "FFS" at the lady.  She did yell sorry and was trying to get him to come back.  After he'd given up I had gone about 30 metres when he came for me again.  This time I turned and ran straight at him and told him to "f**k off".  He freaked and took off.  I do get sick of owners having no control of their dogs but he was probably just playing and I felt bad for possibly seeing red more than required.

My knee has calmed down a lot, although still some minor soreness.  The coach is waiting to hear how it feels today before constructing the workout for tonight, but I've told him I think it should be easy or moderate at most.  He will definitely listen because it's not often I say that.  I'm starting to feel the motivation build for the South Island Half-Marathon in 4.5 weeks.  It's a bonus that I get to use this fitness for a real crack at a half.  I don't have much speedwork behind me in recent months so I'm not sure how ready I'll be to go fast.  I expect to be able to hang in without fading, unless I go way too fast.  I was ready for a crack at a PR in this race last year but got a minor cold 2-3 days out and decided against racing.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Solar radiation is no joke. I'm now sold on the idea that you cannot do any major portion of your run between 10 AM and 4 PM if TDPs are north of 150 (unless it's cloudy out).

DW - my friend gave me a p90x workout of legs to do once. No weights and I've never felt as hobbled as I did the day after that, and I've done a lot of weight-based work previously. You just have to do the right stuff at the right intensity.

Steve - what is "the domain?" Sounds like somewhere the purge is allowed. And what the hell are earth credits Piwi? You guys are talking some crazy Kiwi language!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac - "Domain" is an old school name for park which is used in countries which use the English language correctly 

We also use "reserve" which I guess is land reserved to be used as a park, or at least, not to be developed.

So basically domain = reserve = park.  No wonder non English speakers, and even some english speakers get confused.

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

So basically domain = reserve = park.  No wonder non English speakers, and even some english speakers get confused.

Having three different words for the same thing is a particular trait of the English language.  I'd imagine if I was to tell JMac that trail race I did was at Sanders Reserve he would have images of the run being on the equivalent of an indian reservation.

JMac - I hate running in the middle of the day even in our comparatively mild summers.  The only minor advantage of doing it here is that, although it's a lot hotter, it's often less humid than running in the mornings.

Steve - nah, fair enough.  Having a go at you once is bad enough, but twice?  Should've been on a leash.  Anyway I'd play it safe on that recovery, personally I'd say no workouts this week and see how you feel next week especially if the knee is a little niggly.  But yeah that fitness will put you in a good position to have a crack at the SI HM.  You've got the volume behind you so tuning up the speed a bit shouldn't be too tough.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark - The coach has come back with a shortish run tonight with a few short HMP repeats.  I'll pull up if I feel any unusual soreness though.

CK - Can you please update the front page with my "Postponed" result and South Island Half-Marathon August 1?  Goal is TBD, but if I recover and get some good speed done in the next 4 weeks it will be a PR goal race.  Also, please remove Melbourne Half.  I'm just not going to risk it while we're still so vulnerable to border closures.  My partners' parents are stuck in Perth for the foreseeable future.  They may get back in time for her (surprise) 40th party in 3.5 weeks if they're lucky.

I'm not decided on what to do about Wellington on October 10 or 17.  I also have the option to defer to next year, or downgrade to a half.  I guess I'll wait and see what the confirmed date is.  Wairarapa will not be happy with those dates because it will cost them a lot of runners.

2024 Races:

Jmac i watch Edd Budds shoe reviews on YouTube. Hes English and uses the term earth credits for money 💰

I stole his humor 

Steve I also had a dog chase me today but it was just a friendly young dog. In the end I had to double back and run to its owner as it was with me for the long haul 

Marky_Mark_17

I'm not decided on what to do about Wellington on October 10 or 17.  I also have the option to defer to next year, or downgrade to a half.  I guess I'll wait and see what the confirmed date is.  Wairarapa will not be happy with those dates because it will cost them a lot of runners.

I do feel for the smaller event organisers in situations like this.  There's been a few instances where lockdown-driven postponements of bigger events have created clashes with smaller events and the smaller event organisers have been forced to pull the pin.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mark I looked at a guys strava of the Tauranga Marathon half from 2019 and it was short as well.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW - my friend gave me a p90x workout of legs to do once. No weights and I've never felt as hobbled as I did the day after that, and I've done a lot of weight-based work previously. You just have to do the right stuff at the right intensity.

But getting sore isn't the same as effective. Sometimes the two overlap, sometimes not.    In the US there is a chain of workout studios called Solidcore.  I tried them out, and basically it's a workout designed to make one as sore as possible - very minimal warm-up, and then all the exercises are eccentric.  So all the regular attendees rave about what a great workout it is, because they are so sore the next day.   But as far as I can tell, people don't get long term results (other than a sense of accomplishment from getting sore a few times a week).

I've also discovered that I can make myself very sore with kettlebell swings.  But incorporating them into my routine has never resulted in improvement in my running, which is my ultimate metric.

Steve - it's good to see you have things to look forward to after the post-poned marathon.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

zebano

Zebano - sounds like a great race! Does mountain biking vs. road biking compare in the same way trail running vs. road running does?

Take care in the heat those are dangerous conditions. Consider that the Badwater home page features four out of five runners walking.

Mtn bike and road bike... use the same muscles but don't compare. That's mostly because road biking is a continuous exertion while on a mountain bike there's sufficient quantity of technical terrain where my only goal is to survive and I'm typically not pedaling (or not pedaling hard) on that. That said the winners were at least 33% fast than me so I'm sure the more proficient riders can take those at a better clip.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Badwater was required to change start times to an evening start (because of the heat) a few years ago. It’s also 135 miles and walking is normal even in a 50k with elevation changes. The women hiking are probably around 2700m on elevation. The other guy walking...is a pretty impressive runner from Mexico going up what looks like an 8% grade for 5 miles.  I’d walk that even at night on a cool evening.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Steve - Bother with those dogs! In general I really don't like seeing dogs out on my runs, and it really does stem from people who have zero control over their dogs (most owners, in my experience). Thankfully the worst I've dealt with recently is an over-eager German shepherd puppy who likes to follow me for a bit if I run past his house. I much prefer the older one that just lays in the driveway and watches me go by, though.

That workout looked pretty good on Strava. How did your knee feel during that?

I hadn't heard "domain" before in that context. Reserve/preserve, yes.

Speaking of Badwater, does anyone want to put together a team for Badwater Salton Sea? 81 miles, mixed road and single track, teams of 2-3., with a hard requirement that everyone stays within 25m of each other (the real kicker).

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4