Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

Andres1045

In strength related news, I started my leg strength focus.  Did a 5x5 of squats to almost-kinda-parallel at 105 pounds (47.5 kg).  That felt like work, but on the slightly easy side.  I'll go back on Friday and increase by 5-10 pounds.   I'd like to get back to squatting 135 pounds (61 kg), and I've got my work cut out to get there.

Hmmm, this is very interesting. Is that about how low you always go? I first did squats back in 2015. I don't know much about weightlifting now, but then I knew just about nothing. So that's about how deep I went for squats. I did that for 5 to 6 months, then took a break from weightlifting. The next year I started it up again, and a friend told me I was doing it totally wrong, and needed to go way deeper.

When I was going about parallel, I was never super sore (beyond maybe the first day), and I increased weight very quickly, getting to a very high amount of weight (can't remember exactly how much though). Then when I went down way lower, I had to start at a much lower weight, and barely increased over the course of 4 to 5 months. I was also a lot more sore two days after ever session. And this kind of gets to the point that you were making about soreness. I can't say that I saw any additional improvement in my running doing the lower squats. If anything, it could be the opposite. Maybe I should just go back to the way I was doing them originally? Maybe for running improvement, that's as low as you need to go?

Upcoming races: Boston

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Hmmm, this is very interesting. Is that about how low you always go? I first did squats back in 2015. I don't know much about weightlifting now, but then I knew just about nothing. So that's about how deep I went for squats. I did that for 5 to 6 months, then took a break from weightlifting. The next year I started it up again, and a friend told me I was doing it totally wrong, and needed to go way deeper.

When I was going about parallel, I was never super sore (beyond maybe the first day), and I increased weight very quickly, getting to a very high amount of weight (can't remember exactly how much though). Then when I went down way lower, I had to start at a much lower weight, and barely increased over the course of 4 to 5 months. I was also a lot more sore two days after ever session. And this kind of gets to the point that you were making about soreness. I can't say that I saw any additional improvement in my running doing the lower squats. If anything, it could be the opposite. Maybe I should just go back to the way I was doing them originally? Maybe for running improvement, that's as low as you need to go?

So....several years ago I worked with a personal trainer who was a retired professional miler - he ran for the "Farm Team", was sponsored by Nike and was coached by Frank Gagliano.  So he had really been exposed to top level coaching and resources.

He told me that during his time as a professional runner, when they squatted they definitely did not go past parallel.  The reasoning was that going that deep was outside the range of motion needed for a middle distance or long distance runner, and so there was little to be gained from doing so.

Now granted, his time as a pro was in the early 2000s, and things have no doubt evolved in some areas.   But I don't think I've ever seen a video of a middle/long distance runner squatting really deep.  (Sprinters - yes,  But it makes sense for them, since they do have a much larger range of motion).

I think the primary argument for squatting deep would be more emphasis on the glutes and hamstrings.  But that may be one of those things that is shown in labs but not supported in real world performance.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - why would you do that to yourself 😂 On that kind of heat you either run at 5am or don’t run at all.

DW - Yeah, I’ve read everywhere that though body weight exercises are all you need for upper body, for legs you still need the weights (for max lift work anyway/explosive/power training)

The body weight exercises for legs are still excellent for balance, muscular endurance, coordination drills

Naturally you can use weights if/when they are available, in my case they rarely are, so just body weight it is.

Steve/Piwi - Who let the dogs out!

Steve - nobody calls a park a domain, this is probably something you and Mark invented to troll us 🤡

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

darkwave

Mother of Cats

As I think about it, your friend's statement that you had to go way deeper might be for other reasons besides training benefits.

For competitive weightlifting you have to go below parallel in order for the lift to count.  So...to that point, squatting but not going past parallel is probably the equivalent of doing all your speedwork on a downhill route.  And if you care about what people are lifting simply because you want to compare, then yes, the depth of the squat matters.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Andres1045

Now granted, his time as a pro was in the early 2000s, and things have no doubt evolved in some areas.   But I don't think I've ever seen a video of a middle/long distance runner squatting really deep.  (Sprinters - yes,  But it makes sense for them, since they do have a much larger range of motion).

My friend that told me I was doing it wrong was a 400m guy/ college football wide receiver. So if I'm taking advice from a single source, your guy and his experience wins out. I'm going back to doing them to just about parallel. I started weights again Monday after over a year off. It's hard to get back to it, but already feels good after two sessions.

Upcoming races: Boston

Running Problem

Problem Child

Speaking of Badwater, does anyone want to put together a team for Badwater Salton Sea? 81 miles, mixed road and single track, teams of 2-3., with a hard requirement that everyone stays within 25m of each other (the real kicker).

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

zebano

Speaking of Badwater, does anyone want to put together a team for Badwater Salton Sea? 81 miles, mixed road and single track, teams of 2-3., with a hard requirement that everyone stays within 25m of each other (the real kicker).

uff-da. That sounds awesome and terrifying but is totally the wrong time of year (my 2 biggest races of the year are mid/late November) and I don't think I can take more time away from the family this year. It's on the bucket list now, I'm interested in 2022. 

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

DW i don't think I can get past parallel anyway. I already struggle to keep my feet flat on the ground in a squat as my hammies are so tight. I'm interested in your 5 sets ? I've only been doing 2 sets of 8 so far. My weight is still light at 30kg. I still haven't got a squat rack.

Our local Tauranga Domain also contains the local track 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW i don't think I can get past parallel anyway. I already struggle to keep my feet flat on the ground in a squat as my hammies are so tight. I'm interested in your 5 sets ? I've only been doing 2 sets of 8 so far. My weight is still light at 30kg. I still haven't got a squat rack.

Our local Tauranga Domain also contains the local track 

So....I'm lifting for strength/power, not muscle growth.  My understanding is that 4-6 reps per set is optimal for those goals, with a weight selected that is heavy enough that the final reps are hard, but not approaching failure.  (I also try to explode a little on the "up" part of the lift for power - so controlled down for 1-2 seconds, then explode up).  When you do lower weight/higher reps, it shifts the focus towards hypertrophy, in my limited understanding.

I also understand that 5x5 reps is the classic beginner-to-intermediate structure for building strength - kinda similar to 6x800 being the classic default track workout for distance runners.   When I'm lifting after the track, I limit to 2-3 sets, but that's because I've already got a track workout on my legs.

Disclaimer - all I know about lifting comes from a) the personal trainers I've worked with on occasion, b) T-Nation articles, and c) "the New Rules of Lifting" book.  I am really very far from an expert, or even a knowledgeable journeywoman, on this subject.

Separately, I can confirm that the term "domain" is most properly used in the internet context.   You guys are all confused.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

uff-da. That sounds awesome and terrifying but is totally the wrong time of year (my 2 biggest races of the year are mid/late November) and I don't think I can take more time away from the family this year. It's on the bucket list now, I'm interested in 2022. 

Of course 2022! Doing it this year would get in the way of CIM training. 

5k: 17:58 11/22 â”‚ 10k: 37:55 9/21 â”‚ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 â”‚ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Googles hypertrophy  😳

😆

Thanks DW. Yes seems like high weight low reps. I will stay with lowish weights until I get technique and strength up.

I wore shoes with this mornings session which helped me at the lowest point of my squat because of the heel lift.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Sometimes I see my 4 year old squatting when she's playing with her toys... kids can almost get their bums on the ground when they squat without even flinching!  I lost that level of flexibility a LONG time ago.  Anyway I generally only go to around parallel when I squat, tbh I'm not flexible enough to go much deeper than that.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

Going too low has the risk of rounding the back.

Re volume - it is supplementary training for a runner so lower volume is fine.  E. G. a powerlifter should do much more than 2 sets, but for a runner it is OK. 

Also 5x5, the first 2 sets are more like moderate warm up sets in terms of how hard they are.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve - Bother with those dogs! In general I really don't like seeing dogs out on my runs, and it really does stem from people who have zero control over their dogs (most owners, in my experience). Thankfully the worst I've dealt with recently is an over-eager German shepherd puppy who likes to follow me for a bit if I run past his house. I much prefer the older one that just lays in the driveway and watches me go by, though.

That workout looked pretty good on Strava. How did your knee feel during that?

I hadn't heard "domain" before in that context. Reserve/preserve, yes.

I really do love dogs but I feel so vulnerable when running, especially if I'm tired or going hard.  Getting tripped means there's great potential for injury.

The workout was good, and the speed felt easy and trended below 4 mins/km at times which is significantly quicker than HMP but didn't feel like it.  Knee is improving - still minor soreness but it's either stable or improving.  Had a long day at work for a deployment yesterday so couldn't run until after 8pm on my way home.  Very peaceful in the park/domain/reserve at that time on a wet and freezing night!  First time ever I haven't seen a single runner (normally would be hundreds at any one time).

5km: 18:34 11/23 â”‚ 10km: 39:10 8/23 â”‚ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 â”‚ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

I couldn't help myself and ended up buying a pair of the Salomon S/Lab Pulsar for this trail HM coming up.  I almost talked myself into the fact that I could probably get away with using an old pair of VF Next%'s, then I spotted these.  It's on mostly fine gravel with nothing technical so the VF's would probably do the job, they'll just get a little bit trashed.  But I kinda liked that trail race I did a couple of weeks ago, nice to be out in nature and a good change from the roads and can see myself doing more of them, albeit zero chance I'd run more than 30km.  Anyway that's what I told myself as a justification for buying the flash shoes.

Don't tell my wife.

(also: the reviews are great but could they pick a worse colour for a trail shoe?!)

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"