Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

So, a while back I mentioned that I think it would be fun to do a burro race in the mountains sometime. Well.... In cooperation with a local farm/attraction (they do petting zoos, tours, events, etc.) the local library (as part of a fitness-related event) may do a burro 5k. That's all the info I have on it now, but just the thought is amusing to me.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Marky_Mark_17

So, Nick Willis just qualified for a 5th Olympics in the 1500m.

Sure, he got a bit lucky, but still, to be able to perform at that level over a short distance for that period of time is pretty remarkable.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mark thats great news. I bumped into Sam Tanners mum on the waterways last week and she hoped he would get in so he could mentor Sam over there.

Proof of the Domain name 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Half the posts have started with "so" in the past few pages, I'm demanding every post here on out uses "so" and "domain" wherever possible! I'll pretend I'm still thread dictator and can issue these rules.

Did my first leg strengthening today in almost 2 years. It's great how little work you have to do when starting out. Just did theraband work in all directions for the hips, some eccentric calf for my plantar issue, and lunges.

Our heat wave is over, for a few days. Today was nice at 147 KP, but this weekend should be south of 140. I need a few runs in this weather to get the confidence back, because I couldn't do anything the past few days. I ran 3x1200 out 6 and almost had to walk home. No matter how many summers you run and tell yourself it'll get better in the fall, it's still hard to work through this.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

So, how you doin....

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Steve - we can see how much you love dogs by the way you describe these encounters.

I’d have described it as “a dog attacked me today, I screamed bloody murder to the owner and had to restrain myself from actually committing murder.”

Mark - that color seems proper for when they’re covered in mud 😁

It’s incredible that Nick managed to qualify though it might say something about the rest of NZ 1500m field.

Keen - what if they’re out of Burros, you might have to take the wife instead 🤡 (Though I suspect you will have to play the burro in that case 😂)

Jmac - For you guys to enjoy all that warm feeling we have frozen balls for 3 days here down South. I hope you enjoyed it.

Me - We’ve managed the 48h from Porto to my parent’s home mostly unscathed.

It would always be a long trip. 10 hour flight from Porto to Sao Paulo and in pre-covid times it would have been a 15 hour bus ride to my parent’s town.

We instead took an early flight the next day to an airport 3 hours away from the destination and took a 3h Uber ride.

I know you CAR-PEOPLE are tutting and thinking what a loser, why can’t he rent a car like the cool people do.

Well, it turns out due to the economic crisis the rental companies have not renewed their fleet, so there are almost no cars available for rental and the few available cost an arm and a leg. I’ve heard similar things are happening elsewhere.

It wouldn’t matter though as my driver’s license expired back in 2011 and I’ve never driven a car 😎

We had bought Do it yourself covid antigenic tests in Portugal, so we both did our tests upon arrival and both tested negative (phew).

Quite a temperature variation shock: Coming from 20C 68F in Porto to -1C 30F over here as a cold wave is hitting the whole region pretty hard. It's already warming up a bit though 🙏

Running has taken a hit.

We had to run Tuesday afternoon after arrival. And I’ve not managed to run in the morning since as I’m still recovering from the trip and from a slight cold.

I should hopefully be able to start running in the morning again tomorrow as it’s a shorter 6 mile run.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

zebano

I couldn't help myself and ended up buying a pair of the Salomon S/Lab Pulsar for this trail HM coming up.  I almost talked myself into the fact that I could probably get away with using an old pair of VF Next%'s, then I spotted these.  It's on mostly fine gravel with nothing technical so the VF's would probably do the job, they'll just get a little bit trashed.  But I kinda liked that trail race I did a couple of weeks ago, nice to be out in nature and a good change from the roads and can see myself doing more of them, albeit zero chance I'd run more than 30km.  Anyway that's what I told myself as a justification for buying the flash shoes.

Don't tell my wife.

(also: the reviews are great but could they pick a worse colour for a trail shoe?!)

Mark, those sound great but I agree with the color being a little off. I love the picture of the 2011 S-labs Sense that Journet wore; That is  a sharp color scheme.

Keen Race that Burro!!

So m y wife just found out there's a AirBnB near us that lets you mingle with llamas on their domain and wants to spend a weekend there.  I'll have to see if I can race them.

JMac - isn't it amazing how great a dry 80F feels when you're used to 90+ and humidity?

Flavio Congrats on not owning a car nor ever driving!  Now suck it up and enjoy some amazing long run weather ! That should make marathon training easy.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

One thing confuses me. How do you get a license without ever driving a car?

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - Congratulations on joining the Strength Training Club®! The first rule of the Strength Training Club® is that you should talk about strength training!

One thing confuses me. How do you get a license without ever driving a car?

I should've clarified that I have never driven a car since getting the driver's license.

Of course I had to drive for all the mandatory driving lessons plus the 3 driving exams (I failed the first 2).

I can see most of you are car-people, you make your plans based on the fact that you own a car/can drive a car.

Myself not being a car-person, I instead choose to live/stay within walking distance to things I need and I proudly carry my groceries home.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

flavio - That's what I've always done when I've lived in places like London or on or close to university campus.  Most cities in non-densely populated places just don't have the public transport.  And in the South Island of New Zealand there are so many good places to visit within driving distance.

I can imagine you walking home with groceries doing lunges all the way home so you can lecture us about strength training 

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I know you CAR-PEOPLE are tutting and thinking what a loser, why can’t he rent a car like the cool people do.

Well, it turns out due to the economic crisis the rental companies have not renewed their fleet, so there are almost no cars available for rental and the few available cost an arm and a leg. I’ve heard similar things are happening elsewhere.

Yup.  Can confirm.  My car rental for the marathon was by far the most expensive part of the trip Sad.

I also know quite a few people who are carless.  In my area, you can KINDA get away with it, depending on where you work and what you do outside of work.

I hope you kick the cold soon!

My excitement is that I'm back on line after 26 hours of no power (which means that I was carefully stretching out my cellphone use).  We had some major storms roll through, including a low level tornado (EF 1) touching down just north of our house.  I'm guessing that CK and Zebano may not even get out of bed for a EF1, but for us east coasters this was plenty exciting.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

DW that's hilarious. We make jokes like that about Aucklanders when they have a " crisis "

Zeb good try with that sentence using " domain " but us Kiwis can tell your a fraud. It doesn't quite fit 😕

Flavio no one asked so why are you back in Brazil. Is your Dad ok?

That uber would have cost a fortune. My daughter is complaining about her $40 uber bill yesterday from Christchurch Airport to her flat.

I would for go a vehicle but I can't carry all my ladders.

Marky_Mark_17

Mark - that color seems proper for when they’re covered in mud 😁

It’s incredible that Nick managed to qualify though it might say something about the rest of NZ 1500m field.

Sam Tanner qualified as well, breaking the NZ Indoor record which Willis previously held along the way.  I had a feeling there were 3 Kiwis in the 1500m at Rio, definitely Willis and Hamish Carson and I think Julian Matthews was the third.  No danger of the latter two making the final though.

Anyways hope all is well back in Brazil.  You are truly the thread's international man of mystery.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

Yes, those three made 2016.

What is more impressive than Willis making a 5th Olympics is Allyson Felix who could well medal at a 5th Olympics.

When Flavio said he had a licence but had never drived, I just assumed it was that the Brazilian license system was pretty easy to pass

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25