Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

The Mark burger was excellent. I love beetroot and egg.

I don't really follow my carb consumption etc. My stomach isn't always the best so I could possibly experiment with less dairy or carbs or something. Problem is I love food 😋

Conditions look perfect for my 5k tomorrow no wind fine and frosty.

I'm hoping they use the alternative start which measures the full 5k.  The usual start is muddy and measures short. Either way I will keep running until I hit 5k 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - good luck for tomorrow!  Weirdly I have established a tradition whereby my usual pre-race dinner now is a burger and fries.  I did it before Dunedin Half in 2018 and it's kind of stuck from there.

Keen - have you thought at all about checking the level of fats in your diet?  That was one of my big takeaways from the nutritionist I saw a few months back (excuse the pun).  Doesn't need to be much, yogurt, cheese, dairy etc. are all helpful but a few squares of dark chocolate (ideally 90%+ cocoa) is one of the most effective ways of getting it.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Keen - have you thought at all about checking the level of fats in your diet?  That was one of my big takeaways from the nutritionist I saw a few months back (excuse the pun).  Doesn't need to be much, yogurt, cheese, dairy etc. are all helpful but a few squares of dark chocolate (ideally 90%+ cocoa) is one of the most effective ways of getting it.

I get plenty of fats - that's my primary energy source. I am quite picky about the fat sources I eat. Protein being a building block for muscles/bones, then carbs or fats are for fuel/energy. I know it's quite non-standard (particularly for a runner), but I choose to use fats over carbohydrates as it just seems to work better for me from both a running and overall health perspective.

5k: 17:58 11/22 â”‚ 10k: 37:55 9/21 â”‚ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 â”‚ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

I haven't seen anymore discussion about the Cicadas...are they all gone now?

I didn't realize this but Earth quakes in South Carolina are fairly common averaging 10-15 per year albeit fairly mild ones and most are never felt or perceived. South Carolina is in the top 16 states at risk of earth quakes, and in 1886 the Charleston earthquake was one of the most powerful an devastating on the East coast of the US. estimated to have been at least a magnitude-7 It wa felt as from Main to Florida and as far west as the Mississippi.

I have lived here for the last 15 year and have felt 2.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

watsonc123

Christchurch NZ was only known to have mild quakes, until September 2010.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Marky_Mark_17

The Salomon S/Lab Pulsars arrived.  Kind of interesting... they're super light and the overall profile is not dissimilar to the Next% albeit with a much more pronounced rocker sole - glad I'm a midfoot striker these days as you probably wouldn't want to be a heel striker in these things!  They've got an almost sock-like liner which presumably will limit the chances of any sticks or stones getting into the shoe.

I'm kind of keen to try them out so I'll probably try and detour on to some trails next week to give them a go.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

This happened while I was at work

https://www.kolotv.com/2021/07/09/aftershocks-expected-after-60-magnitude-earthquake-hits-california-nevada/

No one got out of their chairs at work. One of the 70+ year old ladies said ‘hang on it’s not over’ when it slowed down and the second one hit. It was 11 45 miles away. Someone online described it as ‘a cheap coin operated vibrating motel bed’ and I just thought of this thread when it was going on. It felt like a non rhythmic fluid swaying. I work on the 4th floor of our building with engineers and when someone ask if it was still going or just the building swaying I said ‘not sure. Never took an earthquake class to see how long buildings sway after an earthquake’ but I HAVE played with them at the discovery museum. Quite an interesting moment.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Christchurch NZ was only known to have mild quakes, until September 2010.

Isn't NZ on a fault line? That's a bit different than SC, which sits nowhere near one.

We're still waiting for the big one in California.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

zebano

An earthquake is one of those things I have not experienced, I would probably freak out if the ground started moving.

Keen That's pretty interesting about your diet. Very unusual for a runner to forgo carbs though I do know a few but they went full keto which is IMO more absurd. That said, Zach Bitter is known to be keto when not competing so it clearly works for some very high level athletes.

I personally eat a lot like Piwi. See food, eat food. Good luck with that 5k, is sub 18 in the cards?? Actually I was curious so I looked up Jim Walmley's diet. Apparently he has a pizza place sponsoring him and eats pizza 5 times per week  That's living the good life.

Mark Those shoes sound interesting. Report back after the trail run please.

RP Do the old-timers get a sense for earthquakes ? Around here the old people can only tell you when a storm is coming.

CFarr I had no idea the east coast got earthquakes at all. I thought those were limited to fault lines.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Keen - that’s a lot of numbers. I know some people work better without carbs but that’s definitely not my case. I need my carbs.

Piwi - best of luck on that 5k .Please don’t run faster than 17:56 😈

me - I've experienced only a mild earth quake in Italy, we were in a train and the train started dancing a bit I found it weird but didn't think much of it.

So I'm the oldest sibling. My second oldest brother got vaccinated yesterday. And my sister will get vaccinated in a couple of weeks.

Good news all around.

If I had stayed in Italy I would be vaccinated by now but I've traded that to be with my dad for his 70's birthday.

On running news (because this is apparently a running forum), I've gotten my legs back and had an excellent tempo session yesterday and then 5x100m sprints around 17s per 100, that made me happy.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Cicadas really weren't a thing in Oklahoma this year. It's been a while for them.

No earthquakes for a couple years, either, ever since waste water injection from frac'ing operations was stopped.

Zebano - My protein intake is likely a good deal higher than most, and with my activity level there's certainly more of that being turned to glucose than would be the case for most people (gluconeogenesis being a demand-driven process). Low carbohydrate doesn't necessarily mean that the body will be low on glucose.

Zach's trans-con run later this year will be quite interesting to follow.

GRRRR! My room reservation for CIM was cancelled in the middle of the night last night with no reason given. And they're not answering their phone. Somehow I did manage to find another room available, though I'm not at all a fan of the rate hike for the night after the race.

It looks like my 5k TT is going to happen Monday, simply because the temperature is supposed to be ~65F/18.3C, as opposed to around 75F/23.8C the rest of the week.

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

zeb no. The earthquake started to slow down like it was going to end, but it was still moving and you could feel it, then it started to pick up more. Almost like a workout. Run 5k pace for 30 second, job 10 seconds, marathon pace 10-15 seconds. It's sort of uneventful to feel an earthquake now. I've never been in one knocking stuff off the shelves or shattering windows.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/?extent=38.39522,-119.80145&extent=38.6335,-119.25213

This is "the one" that happened Thrusday at 4pm PST. A 6.0 didn't move anyone out of their chair. It kind of felt like I was rocking in my chair, stopped, but that feeling kept going but at a different rhythm I couldn't quite figure out. When it slowed down is when my coworker asked "is it still going or is that the building?" The 6.0 and the 5.2 are probably what I felt. I didn't feel any after that.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/?extent=37.15404,-121.6727&extent=37.16921,-121.63837&sort=largest&listOnlyShown=true

This one happned in my home town. I doubt anyone felt it.

2011 Christchurch

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/usp000huvq/executive

If you check out the intensity map you can see how far it was felt. 6 km deep is pretty close to the surface. The Loma Prieta 1989 earthquake was 17.2km deep and it wasn't even centered in San Francisco but all the media coverage was about San Francisco.

Apparently Auckland doesn't get many earthquakes.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - did you book with a major hotel? IF so, you need to talk to their corporate office. That's unacceptable. That reeks of some "VIP" coming in (either actually VIP or someone slipped the hotel manager a BF to make this work). Also 65F for a 5K is good, as long as it's not 100% humidity. 65 with a 55 DP probably wouldn't impact you at all for such a short race.

Flavio - amazing how different it is post vaccination. Feel like COVID was so long ago for me at this point. Humans are so adaptable to the environment they're in.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Keen where are you staying at now? I need to find a place, and time to train.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - The forecast is for 66* temp, 63* DP, 89% humidity.

It wasn't one of the big ones - at the time I booked nothing close to the finish had availability for all of the dates I was looking to book. I wanted to try simplifying logistics by being close to the finish and I didn't want to mess with staying one place for a couple nights and then moving to another hotel for another.

RP - "The Exchange Sacramento, Curio Collection by Hilton". I ended up cashing in on some rewards points to help make it happen. A consolation is that it looks to be right next to a bus stop for the ride to the start.

Upcoming Races: