Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

Marky_Mark_17

I have a friend who does every run title as a countdown to his next race.  To be honest in the time of Covid I think that's asking for trouble.  I like your episodic style so I'll probably riff on that.  Except my runs are normally first thing in the morning so there's not much to cover from the day thus far.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Some really good weeks coming in from you guys. Keep up the good work.

Darkwave in NZ we say " she'll be right " which is a casual way of not stressing over something. Awesome week by you again.

Rune I see you are having really warm winter weather.

RP very nice week. 50 miles almost is getting serious.

Zebano excellent over 60 mpw.

Flavio nice 80kms. I too don't enjoy the 20k plus runs. They really drag towards the end. I actually prefer adding in a faster bit to break up the monotony.

Steve looks like you can view splits on desktop but not mobile.

Wife has just booked us for a couple of nights in Christchurch in 2 weeks to help my daughter get into a flat.

Flights were $60 each one way so cheap.

If you are back running we should go for a jog. I probably won't do the Parkrun this time.

Booked a PT appointment tomorrow to look at my upper back pain.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Running Problem

Problem Child

I think it would be better to count UP to the race day. Might be around 700 days before the next scheduled race in my county. Irritating because a 20 minute drive to another county would put me in a race with waves starting 1 minute apart and 100 participants.

Early morning runs are nice. I really wish I was a lot more motivated to get my hour run started by 4am to have it done by 5 am and "working" by 5:30.

EDIT:

Anyone else see K2 was finally scaled in winter? I found a link to one of the people who finished it. Perfect record for climbing over 8,000m elevation, and a 10 time world record holder. Sponsored by Red Bull so I FULLY expect to see videos of this on the Tubes of You. Ideally about 2 hours long.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

piwi - is that Waitangi weekend?  I'm heading down to Mt Cook that week.  Otherwise, I hope to be running, at least enough to do the type of runs we've done before.  My pain has reduced on each run, but increases during the day when sitting at my desk.  So annoying.  Maybe I need to keep my leg straight somehow.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Steve yes although we fly in Thursday and out Saturday afternoon.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

We're heading down on Saturday morning - I'll run quite early that day but will probably go from home so I'm ready for the drive as early as possible.  We can try and work something out though - you're welcome to come over for a beer.

So after waking up with no pain, by lunchtime I was sore again so I tracked down a footstool and have had my problem leg extended for the last hour.  Stood up and no pain for the first time after sitting down for an extended period.  So something about sitting with a bent knee is causing me pain.  My knee coped with my biggest mileage year ever in 2020, but apparently can't handle sitting down at a desk.

2024 Races:

Very good miles and effort for many last week...I see 2021 started well for many here Smile

I did my third week over 35 miles (35 actually) but I feel empty and tired. And I have a strange feeling of lactic acid in the body as soon as I run more than 7-8 miles and it last for a couple of days...

I tried 13 miles on Sunday but had to stop at 10..

I'll see if I can get some test done (although with the pandemic it won't be easy...)

Have a good week everybody

Marco

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

runethechamp

Wow, lots of 50 mile weeks among the people here.

Piwi - Yes, we're having some really warm winter weather here now. Today broke all kinds of daily records at least, with a high of 79F (26C) in Berkeley today. Almost felt too warm on my bike ride today. At 2200 it's still 66F (19C) outside, which is much warmer than a typical summer night here! Hope you figure out your back, back pain really sucks.

RP - Regarding wetsuits and booties, I also found I didn't have to buy many running shoes one I stopped running . I saw that K2 story, that's crazy, that's a really dangerous mountain right there. But don't bag on Sierra Cement, that snow is awesome when it's fresh, just buttery smoothness everywhere (before it heats up and sets again). It's great to jump (or crash) in, similar to the skateboarding/surfing/snowboarding discussion.

Mark - You might have noticed, I keep track of my runs with pictures. Although some of them tend t look the same. But once I'm doing workouts I try to put the workout in the title or early in the description on Strava to be able to easily look them up again later.

Regarding discussion about long runs here I wonder how much they do for you aerobically, especially for a HM? Granted we re talking about a special person here, but I thill like the story when Grete Waitz won her first NY Marathon (and first marathon ever) with zero lifetime runs longer than 12 miles. From a muscular standpoint she agreed this was not the way to go as she threw her shoes at her coach (and husband) after the race because her legs hurt and I think she stated she'd never run a marathon ever again. But I think if your bread and butter are 1-1.5 hour runs (also for your workouts) it will do you a lot of good.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Zeb - makes sense, snowboarding with running shoes is not fun.

Mick - the food is indeed superb. Please reserve at least a week, we need to restart your taste buds so you stop talking about NY pizza.

We’ll get you started on a few of the local traditions:

- capeletti in brodo

- gnocco e tigelle with a proper 24 month parmigiano reggiano

- duo of tagliatelle ragù and gramigna alla salsiccia

- Bistecca Fiorentina (not from here, but anyway)

- Then some deserts, maybe a mix of Tiramisù, Zuppa Inglese and Panna Cotta.

A Sangiovese to wash all of that down.

Somewhere in frozen Belfast Marco is nodding his head in disagreement 

RP - No, I have all the time in the world, I could run 20 hours per week, alas, I’m a weakling and the current 6h30 already kills me.

It’s that I’m very tired at the end of them, my body needs to get used to these longer runs.

I used to run past that Basilica every day when I lived downtown. It has a tremendous history.

Long story short that church was built by the people of the region. They hated the pope so they built their own church.

For a long while the pope and his army took over the region and built another, bigger, shinier Cathedral nearby.

But they kept using that one, it even has references to the zodiac inside heh.

Darkwave - like a fungus haha. It’s weird to think non islamic domestic terrorism is a current threat for the US. How the world changes from time to time.

Steve/Rune/Mark - You can only see the workout splits in the web, there’s a “laps” button you can click.

Rune - I guess it depends on how long you take to run your HM. If you run it in around 90 minutes , then I guess you can cap the long runs at around 90/100 minutes.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

zebano

Rune  I get super cold toes just biking below 50F, I can't imagine swimming. Booties seem like a good choice. That K2 expedition looks absurd. I always heard K2 was a rougher ascent than Everest. I hope they make a documentary as both Free Solo and Dawn Wall were really good watches.

Mark What's the largest countdown you've seen ? That seems unfortunate at this point in history.

Steve  rough start to the year. Those are some strange symptoms.

Marco ditto for you. I hope the tests turn up something obvious and fixable like iron deficiency.

Rune  I do think the long runs do a ton for me aerobically, and I think Grete is just an outlier who proves that overall weekly mileage and lifetime mileage are as important as a few longer runs. I've got nothing to back that up other than every serious coach assigns long runs to their runners and Grete's experience is an outlier, not the norm.

FlavioI get hungry every time I read your posts these days. How can you classify yourself as the weakling of the group and also the guy who tells everyone they need to do strengthwork??  Something doesn't add up here. I'll also point out that obvious that strength work is extra time under stress and your body needs to recover from that as well as from the running.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

zebano

Oh one more thing I found interesting today. Apparently HRV can be used to predict if you've contracted Covid-19.

Abstract

Yahoo Article

One thing that isn't clear to me as I don't understand the science is if this is noticeably different than say the effects on HRV from overtraining or even heavy training / lack of sleep.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Steve - Sorry about the pain increase, but... firewood? In NZ? Cooking outside or for ambiance or something? Because I know you're not using it to heat anything right now!

Rune - Red meat - the poor runner's EPO!

Mark - Good week.

James - Looks like good progress to me.

Piwi - The fishing alone make it a good week for you!

Flavio - Solid week. And oy! it sure took a long time to get over that soreness.

Zebano - Nice week as well. I'll get back to our game before long - things have been busy lately.

RP - Yeah, I'm trying to do some cross training. Hopefully this sticks. Looks like you're being smart with the mileage progression.

I'm liking where my running is at right about now. I don't think I'll up my mileage beyond what I'm at now, just focus on keeping up this level and hitting some good workouts.
                          I am hopping in to a training group based out of a LRS. I figure it'll be good to get a bit of training with people, plus I can coordinate training stuff with the coaches. First workout is tonight, we'll see how that goes.

ETA: I've noticed that since I've upped my mileage again that my HR for pace has been dropping steadily, which is nice to see.

Weekly for period: From: 01/11/2021 To 01/17/2021

Date Name Distance
                          in mi
                          Duration Avg Pace
                          per mi
                          Elevation Gain
                          in ft
                          01/11/2021 Ronnestads! 3x (13x :30 hard, :15 easy), +1 random uphill interval 11.75 01:26:38 07:22 322
                          01/12/2021 26 ducks 10.10 01:25:52 08:30 367
                          01/13/2021 3 deer (3 strides) 10.05 01:26:18 08:35 525
                          01/14/2021 2x (4x 1k CP w/ 1 min recovery) 11.05 01:23:18 07:32 282
                          01/15/2021 8 geese, 5 deer (5 strides), & 3 rabbits 9.05 01:17:04 08:31 374
                          01/16/2021 4 hawks & 3 owls 17.60 02:29:20 08:29 827
                          01/17/2021 1 owl 2.50 00:21:18 08:31 98

Total distance: 72.12mi

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

darkwave

Mother of Cats

CK - I am disappointed that you did not see 26.2 ducks.

Re: Covid.  I have decided that pretty much everything is a symptom of Covid,

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve - Sorry about the pain increase, but... firewood? In NZ? Cooking outside or for ambiance or something? Because I know you're not using it to heat anything right now!

Ha!  We stock up in summer because the price doubles heading into autumn.

2024 Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

I can't be the only one thinking "New Zealand has trees?" I figured the only trees you had were protected by the government because they were the home to some large bug or animal. How much wood can you really get from a palm tree? (Googles Trees in New Zealand) Hope you picked up a large Karui for the winter.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22