Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

Yeah that synchronized swimming looks weird but man it must be exhausting.

I'd imagine equestrian requires a higher level of fitness than we think DW ?

I played cricket one year when I was 14 for Upper Hutt College. I was really bad at batting and shit scared of fast bowling.

A top Australian Phill Hughes was killed by a fast ball which snuck under his helmet and got his head.

Surfing is now in at the Olympics. I really like the traditional track and field stuff but yachting has provided us with lots of medals. We do well at equestrian too DW 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I suspect it is more that they cannot figure out who bribes who

Funny and true

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

watsonc123

If only the forecast for Saturday was a joke.

It looking really bad.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

JamesD

JamesD

Also the athleticism of each sport. If dancing in a pool with your friends is more athletic than your "sport" you might as well compare it to Go Fish and Solitaire.

My impression is that  high-level cricket requires a similar amount of athleticism to baseball, maybe slightly more, and baseball/softball are in and out of the Olympics depending on which nation hosts.  Batting requires freakish hand-eye coordination like hitting a baseball (bigger bat, but the throw can bounce, so more weird direction changes) and much more endurance and focus since you may do it for hours at a time and any one ball can put you out.  Bowling is like pitching a baseball but with a high jump runup first.  Fielding looks similar in athletic demands but I think is less important than in baseball because of the rules/incentives of the game - if you hit the ball and don't want to run, you don't have to, and being put out is such a negative that very few batters/runners risk close plays, so there are fewer plays where fielding can make much difference.

Several sports in the Olympics seem to require skill more than athleticism.  Precise fine motor skills seem more important than athletic ability in archery and shooting and golf, though I'm sure strength and flexibility are required too.  I don't really understand the athletic demands of rhythmic gymnastics or curling, though I expect each is difficult in its own way.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

zebano

Zeb that is a busy fall schedule. Sleep is  good thing! hope you got rested up.

RP Flavio Keen nice week

We were supposed to be on vacation this week and headed to Kentucky to visit the inlaws  unfortunately my wife has been sick for the last week with an apparent cold (not Covid) and is suffering from a muscle strain in her back.  To top it off we are trying to finalize some things with the remodel on our condo so here we are on Wednesday and still at home.  We are supposed to meet our GC today so hopefully we will be leaving in the morning.  I may try and get 1 more run in today I know once we are in KY I won't be able to run much if at all.

ugg, I hope you get to enjoy the vacation.

I actually just dropped my coach an email (he's on vacation didn't really want to bother him with a text) wondering if I'm racing too much. I suspect I'll just tempo the 25k or something like that.

Flavio yeah, he's a good dude, but yeah he wants the plan followed to a T and he's IMO way too suspicious of crosstraining and strength training. His words are "make sure they don't impact your workouts" and lets just say that I've been lifting a little too heavy for his liking lately. I'll have to go find the synopsis but I was reading a synopsis of multiple "effects of lifting on running performance" studies and one finding they had was that females tend to benefit more than males from weight training. The author's conclusion is that there's a baseline of strength needed to run and more doesn't benefit you. I suspect I'm above that line but I'm still far from my goal weights / what Jay Dicharry suggests in his book Running Rewired (body weight * 2 deadlift for 3x8 and bodyweight * 1.5 back squat 3x8). Oh well, I'm actively playing around with my protocols to try and minimize the impact on my running.

Watson Who bribes whom? is a great way to look at all sorts of Olympic sports. The notoriously corrupt FIDE (chess international organization) is attempting to be in the Olympics in 2024. I love chess but I don't see this as a good idea but the most interesting part of that article is near the end when it says the French organizers are considering including eSports which would legitimize chess, go and Shogi as Olympic sports IMO but I would personally keep the Olympics strictly to athletic endeavors. Along those lines, I'd also discourage sports like Football (soccer), basketball, baseball and anything else that has a major championship that is a bigger deal than winning at the Olympics.

Synchronized swimming is much more of a sport than diving. Seriously have you ever tried to just tread water with only your legs and keep a large portion of your upper body out of the water? That's hard work.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

JamesD/piwi I was 90% joking. Swimming already takes a lot of effort. "dancing" while holding your breath and balancing yourself in water is going to be EXTREMEMLY athletic. My father's side of the family was swimmers. I'm actually SHOCKED my family NEVER pushed me to swim with how much the family did swimming (probably due to my upbringing) and I never wanted to join up myself. Having shot a modern compound bow with a 40-50 pound draw I won't say archery ISN'T physical. I guess I'd would say it is comparable to a 60m sprinter saying marathons aren't athletic because of how slow 10 mph is compared to 26-30 mph.

I'm actually going to attempt a speed workout today. Finally NOT 100F (I'm no JMac for a reason) and I'm convincing myself marathon training is here (August officially) so I need to get back into it. Especially if I want another sub 3. I'm just going to use the 5k PR from May 29 as my baseline. 6 weeks ago is still fresh, right?

Self motivation...work is too slow for my old standby of "run out the aggression from work.

ible-And-Stupid-Drivers-Humor-WTF-Shocking-Nope-28.jpg

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

zebano

I'm actually going to attempt a speed workout today. Finally NOT 100F (I'm no JMac for a reason) and I'm convincing myself marathon training is here (August officially) so I need to get back into it. Especially if I want another sub 3. I'm just going to use the 5k PR from May 29 as my baseline. 6 weeks ago is still fresh, right?

Ahh heat doping should help that sub-3 attempt! Carry on.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I'd imagine equestrian requires a higher level of fitness than we think DW ?

Here's some instagram posts from Kent Farrington (member of the 2016 and 2020 US Olympic Showjumping teams) showing off his home fitness routine.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CJoxGrbBuKS/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLmb4KqBsCv/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-pFIoShBxU/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

(and yes, the Kiwis do quite well at equestrian.  That's one of the reasons equestrian stays in the Olympics - it gets strong participation from North America, South America, Europe, and Australia/NZ, with smaller participation from the Middle East, Africa, and Asia.  That global participation is much more important than popularity in any one country)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Anyone see the recent news about Kenyan doping? Two runners ( can't find their names) were dropped from the team.

Who was that other woman who was found guilty of doping and appealing the decision earlier this year?

EDIT:

Training question

Today's workout was 10x400m with a jog recovery. I did them at my most recent VDOT (51) with the goal of getting back into marathon shape. I don't see a 10x400m workout in the JD book and Hanson's puts a 12x400m workout with their goal 17:30 or 18:00 5k time. I followed the JD rule of recovery equal to 2-3 times the work. 1:27-8 (88-89 seconds. Goal was 86) work and a 4 minute recovery (MUCH closer to 3x work than 2x work). I jogged the recoveries and they didn't feel impossible to get done and I feel like my paces were consistent. The JD table would put the ACTUAL workout paces at a VDOT of 50, and I'm not sweating over 1 second. The consistency was key.

My concern is I'm over doing it before starting a Marathon training cycle. I believe the speed I have from the truncated 5k training plan is still there even with some heat acclimation from the past few days. My instinct is to do 8x600m repeats next week which I'd do at the Hanson's paces at either the 2:06/600m using the 17:30 standard, or slowing way down to a 2:18/600m based on a 19:00 goal. Any advice is appreciated. Mostly to avoid injuring myself, but I'm always willing to go out at a fast pace with a goal of holding on just to see what happens. Sometimes I surprise myself.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

watsonc123

So race change for me.  The weather has closed part of the trails.  So the 62km / 3000m elevation and (what I was doing) 43 km/ 2000m elevation races have been cancelled.  And everyone in those races is now doing the 21km / 1100m elevation course.  Although there are three races with the "62" starting 10am, the "43" starting 10:30am and the "21" starting 11am.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Marky_Mark_17

Good luck Watson with your mere 1000m of elevation. Hope the weather isn’t too rough.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Good luck Watson!

Brewing - I don't see anything wrong and a lot of things right with doing some focused speedwork before starting a marathon training cycle.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

zebano

RP Solid workout, I agree with you the consistency is key and you nailed the first workout. I'd honestly try to feel out the next workout a little. If I were you I'd probably do the first couple conservatively in 2:18 and then see if you have the ability to start cutting the pace down toward that goal of 2:06 and try and hit that for the last two reps.

Digression - I hate the fact that in Hansons you do workouts at goal pace; if you set  a good reasonable goal there are no issues but I think many people can make such big leaps during training that it's impossible to predict well and doing those end-of-training workout paces at the beginning doesn't make sense because you're not ready. For the more experienced runners who are taking small incremental steps forward? sure I can see it making sense.

Watson good luck with your mere 1000m of elevation!! That's beastly. Will they not let you run the 21k course twice?

Running Problem

Problem Child

Watson wave start for a half marathon. Sounds like it's time to put some speed into it. I'd expect a few people to go out WAY too fast, but that always happens. Good luck and have fun.

Zeb/Dwave Thanks. I was hoping I kinda had some stuff figured out by now. I would say the "focus" of this month is getting back to the routine of speed/tempo/long runs instead of running just to run. IT (running just to run) is a comfortable place. It's like a couch on any day Shawshank Redemption is on TV (with or without commercials) and you found it at the start of the movie.

zeb interesting about Hansons. I think the goal pace is what I like most about their program. Helps me build lots of confidence in maintaining the pace. I also like the very structured nature and ability to do it with time. I think the ONE time I tried a JD2Q training plan I underestimated the amount of time some of his runs take. It's really the only plan I've ever done and I THINK they talk about adjusting goals in the book. I also think they discuss how to pick the proper goal. 5 miles at goal pace is pretty different than 10 and I'd say part of the training is realizing your goal might actually be out of reach. I could TRY and do a 6:35/mi tempo run on a Thursday and get away with it for speed work and strength training, but come week 9 or 10 when it's closer to 8 miles at that pace I'll either sink or swim, and pick a new goal IF I haven't injured myself by then.

I rediscovered my love of the theragun. I'm blaming IT for waking up so tired/relaxed this morning and NOT the youtubetv binge.

VDOT 53.37 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

watson - Ughh, so annoying when you get a last minute change after all that training.  Still looks like a very challenging event though.  I have friends in Wellington who are dedicated participants in Park Run each week who have decided to give it a miss in the weather today.  I looked at the Facebook page for the Wellington Ultra and it sounds like he's done well to even have the 21km go ahead.  Good luck with all that climbing, that will set up your speed for flat events nicely.

At the risk of starting the cricket chat again...good win last night and I was lucky enough to be MVP.  Which really shows how far the standard has dropped.

RP - That's a fast workout and I agree with dw that it will set you up nicely and help make your MP workouts feel easier.  I did a similar workout during the week - 15 x 400m @ 94-96 secs which is 4 mins/km pace, so slightly faster than my HMP.  I was probably a few seconds quick on each interval but felt it in the last 2 repeats.  This would normally be quite a comfortable workout in the midst of half training but the lack of speed lately did catch up with me.  And possibly not sticking exactly to the prescribed pace...

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024