Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Olympics - gotta say I'm loving being able to watch this and the running hasn't even started yet!  They were controversial inclusions but I really enjoyed watching some of the skateboarding and surfing.  The mens and womens cycling road races were both really good watches too - the Ecuadorian rider rode a great race in the mens, and I loved the way the womens' race was won by a complete outsider that the 2nd placegetter had totally forgotten about because they're not allowed radios at the Olympics!

The same thing happened in the Women's marathon in Beijing.  Catherine Nderaba reportedly thought she was in the lead and did not realize until later that Constantina Dita-Tomescu was in front of her.

My week:

53 miles running, 3:30 hours pool-running, and 1000 yards swimming.
    M: 1:40 minutes of pool-running and upper body weights/core.
    T: 11 miles, with 2x(1600, 800) and 2x200m. Splits were 6:41, 3:10, 6:33, 3:04, 44, and 43. Long recoveries. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
    W: 9 miles easy (9:41) plus drills and two hill strides, then streaming yoga, followed by 3 miles very easy on treadmill (9:46)
    Th: 1:50 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core.
    F: 12 miles including a 4 mile tempo in 28:12 (7:06/7:10/7:07/6:49). Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
    Sa: 10 miles easy on treadmill (9:50) followed by streaming yoga.
    Su: 8 miles easy (9:44) plus drills and two hill sprints, and then upper body weights/core.

Because I'm lazy I'll just repeat what I said in the other thread - basically feeling like I'm weak aerobically, with my heart rate too high for easy runs (I'm running my easy runs so slow because I'm trying to keep my HR down below 145, but not succeeding).

I suspect that my iron's low again based on some bloodwork I pulled, but I need the doctor to confirm, so I'll wait for that opinion and next steps.  In the meantime, I think the best option is to keep training carefully, being sure not to push stuff too hard.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Flavio I can feel your tiredness through the internet. Marathon training is next level. You are doing great.

Mark im guessing you got caught in the rain today. It's been pouring here. I'm hanging out to run later in hopefully better weather.

Steve nice work on the surprise party and keeping your mouth shut 

Corey great job on that workout.

We won our first medal today, bronze in the triathlon.

Been a small country its hard to snag medals so each one is treasured.

He trains locally here too and I run with his coach sometimes.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Flavio I can feel your tiredness through the internet. Marathon training is next level. You are doing great.

Mark im guessing you got caught in the rain today. It's been pouring here. I'm hanging out to run later in hopefully better weather.

Steve nice work on the surprise party and keeping your mouth shut 

Corey great job on that workout.

We won our first medal today, bronze in the triathlon.

Been a small country its hard to snag medals so each one is treasured.

He trains locally here too and I run with his coach sometimes.

Yeah, I just had a recovery run, howling wind and rain too, I actually quite enjoyed it because it was only 25 minutes cruise and it was kind of nice to experience the elements.  Had it been a workout or long run I would not have been so happy.

Immediately thought of you when Wilde won, as usual the six degrees of separation is more like two in New Zealand.  He is such a strong runner and was always a chance of a medal if he could be near the front off the bike.  It was great seeing how pumped he was when he crossed the finish line, what a great performance in very tough conditions.  The Norwegian guy who won was phenomenal, he was obviously running on nothing but guts for the last 1.5km or so but boy did he have a lot of them.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

I must say I have really not been able to watch any of the Olympics outside of a few of last nights swimming events.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

We just have the Olympics on in the background at this home. YouTube TV for those of you in the US is excellent for it. Their interface lets you skip right to each event within a 4 hour recording, no need to search.

You guys know how much I love Japan so I'm devastated for them. Spent so much money on this and not a single fan in all of these beautiful stadiums. Obviously the Olympics is controversial and often not a net money maker, but certainly not as bad as this one will be.

Flavio I will comment on your long run in the sub 3 thread as I will do a lot of my training talk over there given my switch over to marathon training.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Corey - Once again, that was a great fast workout.

Steve - I have no idea how the body will handle it. I’m quite surprised I’m handling the current mileage to be honest.

Phew I thought we had lost you to cricket Big grin

Mark/Piwi - I really thought the Kiwi guy was going to win the triathlon. That Norwegian guy surprised us all , he does not look like a runner,

He most certainly does not look like someone who can run a sub 30 10k, let alone at the tail end of 1500m swim and 40k on the bike.

That was an incredibly gutsy performance on horrendous weather.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

How am I only as far behind lurking in the marathon thread as I am this one? Clearly you guys have been slacking!

Had a fun time in Galveston with the family. Lots of time at the beach, going to aquariums, an indoor rainforest environment, and eating a ton of fresh seafood.
                The sound of waves on the beach is also much louder when running by than I would have thought.
                Another light-ish week this week, then marathon base + HM prep training starts next week!

Mark - Interesting about the Salomon shoes. When I ran that dirt/gravel road 50k last year there were some people who showed up in VFs. Between the rough road and peanut butter-like mud sections I'm sure those people ended up regretting that decision.

Watson - Great job on the urban ultra. I've got the RR queued up.

Flavio - Best of luck with the upcoming country-hopping adventures!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - I took in 22 ounces of LMNT during one of my long runs this weekend, but still ended up losing almost 6 pounds during the run. (7 pounds once you take that out). I think I need less mixture though: I feel like the incredibly high salt content was making me even more thirsty.

Have the rest of you ever measured how much sweat you lose? I'm trying to figure out how much of that I should replace. I bought that waterlogged book not realizing it's 300 pages on hydration. I don't have time for that (or interest ). I know the current thinking is you're not supposed to replace all of it, but I'm trying to learn where my breaking point is. I think it's over 5 pounds net, which means i need to find a way to take in at least 16oz more.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac - On a particularly warm day I did a before and after weight comparison (the run was 2 hours easy).  I was down 4.5kg (9.9 pounds).  I don't know how accurate the scales were but I did know I had lost a lot of fluid, and I'm a particularly extreme producer of sweat.  I didn't take anything in, had a high heart rate and was miserable, especially in the last 30 mins.

Flavio - I discovered that there's a difference between being MVP against a lower ranked team and playing one of the best teams.  I'm guessing these numbers don't mean much but we went into the last partnership of 4 overs needing 47 - me and the guy I bat with had scored 59 the previous week so we thought we had a slight chance, albeit against better bowling.  We had a partnership of -2....I didn't get out but my partner scored -18 so it wasn't a disaster personally but it reminded me of the awful feeling of losing when you had a chance to win it for the team.

Marathon - So I've found I really do still have the itch...on my training runs at the moment I find myself fantasizing about the last few km of a marathon rather than my upcoming half.  I've got some good speed sessions coming up so I will definitely give it a crack but I am thinking about my plan longer term.  Mark after our fun interaction with the director of the Christchurch marathon on Facebook where I said I'd never attempt a full on the new date in April....I think I'm going to do the full at Christchurch.  A few reasons:

1)  It always has been my favourite race and I like the course.

2)  This year was hot but it was really a one off freak warm day.  28 degrees (82F) in mid-April in the morning is very unlikely again.

3)  The atrocious weather on the date of the postponed Wellington marathon this year is reasonably likely to happen again

The downside is most of my training will be in the hottest months of summer (upside to that is nailing my hydration strategy and hopefully getting the bonus of a cooler race day in Autumn).  I do have a rolled over entry for Wellington.  It's normally about 11-12 weeks after Christchurch so if I decide to travel I'll likely downgrade to the half, hope for a nice day and use my marathon fitness to have a crack at a fast half.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - I've been using one packet of LMNT in a 23 oz bottle for most runs, though for a LR I've been taking an additional 8oz soft flask of plain water. I usually empty the flask then start in on the electrolytes out of convenience (tucking the flask into a pocket or my waistband), but hitting the electrolytes first would likely be better physiologically.
                      I've found that water at all makes me want to drink more during a run. I'll be fine for 10 miles without any, but I'll suck down 23oz without thinking about it by mile 8 during that same run if I have it. Having the electrolytes doesn't change thirst for me one way or another, but the more electrolytes I get the better I typically feel later in a run.

Waterlogged boils down to

1) Drink only to thirst.
                      2) Sodium intake isn't necessary (no mention of potassium or magnesium).

3) Don't worry about weight loss during exercise unless it specifically affects performance. Losing more than the generally-accepted 2% of body weight is perfectly fine.

Part of point 2 is that most people on a SAD (standard American diet) get a ton of sodium from their typical hyper-processed foods and so will excrete excess sodium during exercise. I don't know of specific recommendations for anyone who eats mostly/completely whole foods, or people on low carbohydrate diets (who typically need more electrolytes than others as a rule).

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JamesD

JamesD

JMac - On a 2-hour long run in April, I lost 2.7% of my bodyweight, or about 3-1/2 pounds.  Temperature was around 68/20 with only 50% humidity, and there was shade on about half of my path and sunshine on the rest.  I'm sure I sweat a lot more in the summer.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Running Problem

Problem Child

JMac I measured it a few times. I don’t lose much and I think drinking water all day long helps more than just on the run. 6 pounds is crazy! I think the most I’ve lost is two on a long hot run. 
                          300 pages is a ton of detail that’s probably summarized by ‘drink to thirst’ and a bunch of science about how the body uses water.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - worst case scenario for me in summer was roughly a 2.5kg /5.5lb weight loss on a long run, which was more like mid-morning than dawn, think it was around 27-28km worth (~17 miles) with a lot of hills.  I was drinking water on the way through, probably had a gel or two as well.  Like Steve I tend to sweat quite heavily.

Flavio - yeah, Blumenthal didn't look like the most fluid runner, was basically just muscling it from around the 7km mark but it sure worked for him!

CK - I remember visiting Galveston once with the family when we were in the US in the late-1980's, I must've been around 8 at the time.  I don't remember much about it though, we'd been in Houston as Dad had some work stuff there, my brother and I were more excited about going to California and Disneyland which was the next stop.

Steve- I don't blame you for picking CHC marathon, even if the race director is a dork.  It is without doubt the fastest marathon course in the country, it's home for you, and the odds of good conditions in autumn are much better than the odds of a repeat of this year's weather.  I'm a little tempted to give the half there another crack to be honest, I'd be a shot at taking out the Masters depending who shows up.  Just make sure you take some decent down time, probably around August and December rather than continuously plugging away at high volume, that was my mistake last year.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark - Yep, there's 20 weeks between Queenstown and Christchurch so I'll have 2 very light weeks, then probably 2 light-ish weeks before getting into it around the time of all the Christmas parties.  It would be great to see you down here for the half...if you have anything left you could do an easy warm down at my MP 

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Interesting perspectives folks, thanks.

I will say i always thought drinking to thirst is bullshit. It looks like I sweat about a pound every 20 minutes, about 16 oz. There is NO universe where once I hit that point, I could drink 16 oz of water every 20 minutes in order to prevent further dehydration. I would literally vomit. The maximum I can drink is probably 6 oz every 20 minutes.