Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

Marky_Mark_17

DW - I definitely notice the HR going up. I don't wear a monitor, but I've stopped and measured when I feel like this and it's 150+, sometimes up to 160, which clearly is out of range for an easy long run.

For fit endurance athletes, you expect a bit of natural heart rate drift over the course of a run.  If you can keep it to 2% (typically measured as the increase in heart rate at a fixed pace over an hour), that's very good.  5% is reasonable.  Any big spikes above that would tend to suggest high fatigue (e.g. after a big workout your HR will generally remain elevated), or dehydration.

I fortunately haven't had too many issues with dehydration, but I recall one run (the day after Xmas and I was probably very hung over) where my HR just spiked after about 15 or 16k by like 15bpm (probably like 10%).

As Keen points out, it's not just about water, the electrolytes are arguably more important as you can replace water more easily.  If I'm doing a long run or workout in summer, I'll always pre-load myself with an electrolyte supplement.  It seems to work OK, I haven't noticed any major differences in HR drift in my LRs in summer vs. winter and although in summer I may look more like I've been for a swim than a 2 hour LR, it's still just normal end of long run fatigue rather than dehydration.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

I'm specifically saying I'm not doing that, I'm trying to maintain myself at only 4 pounds of water loss. So if I hit 5 pounds of water loss, I need to drink one pound of water to get back to 4.

If you lose 7 pounds you MUST drink 3 pounds of water on the run.16 ounces (0.47 mL)  is roughly a pound so you need 3 handhelds or a 1.5L bladder for your 17.6 mile long run. My runs don't allow me to refill most of the time, but maybe you can stop at a store and buy a bottle to refill. I don't think I've ever gone through three bottles of water on a long run. Ever. I possibly reduced the long runs to account for this.

At 1 pound/20 minutes you can do about 10 miles at an 8:00/mi pace without water.

Have the rest of you ever measured how much sweat you lose? I'm trying to figure out how much of that I should replace. I bought that waterlogged book not realizing it's 300 pages on hydration. I don't have time for that (or interest ). I know the current thinking is you're not supposed to replace all of it, but I'm trying to learn where my breaking point is. I think it's over 5 pounds net, which means i need to find a way to take in at least 16oz more.

I know you're super talented, but maybe the breaking point should be closer to 3.5 pounds instead of 4. This would mean a run over 70 minutes means you take SOME water to counter balance the loss and maybe get ahead of it sooner.

I literally cannot imagine how dehydrated you are after losing 4 pounds of water, or how you could lose that much and not feel thirsty at any point until the last few minutes. No I'm not being a dick. I'm being blunt (the real me) about the information presented and someone saying "yeah....never felt thirsty" but I also can't imagine someone running a sub 6 minute 5k saying "yeah it wasn't that fast. I was kinda dogging it today."  Losing that much water on a run and NOT feeling thirsty ever is fucking NUTS to me. Like....Top Tier Athlete problems...."yeah, I just don't get thirsty but I know I HAVE to drink. I just don't feel like it/can't/etc."

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

zebano

Keen - I took in 22 ounces of LMNT during one of my long runs this weekend, but still ended up losing almost 6 pounds during the run. (7 pounds once you take that out). I think I need less mixture though: I feel like the incredibly high salt content was making me even more thirsty.

This, this this!! Tried LMNT because their sample pack was free and it is super salty. When I double the water to mix ratio it comes out about right for me. I'll also add that their "normal" citrusey flavors are great but chocolate salt is an abomination that should be destroyed from Orbit.

Trying to get caught up but my kids are headed to a swim meet after a big vacation so I don't expect them to do well. Oh well.

The most notable thing this week is that I found that cutting out the split squats got rid of the soreness even if my workout included heavy deadlifts and heavy squats.

M: easy 45 min

T:  Mile TT (5:45) ... meh. It's ok and I ran solidly but felt like a workout not a race. Need to go a little harder. + weights + 500yd swim

W; 30 min ez

Th: 1:47 "long" run. Nice and easy

F: 45 min easy + 20 mi bike ride@ family speed

S: 50 min ez + strides. 18 mi bike w/ dad

Sun: 14 mile progression run. Got really hard after mile 10. The right back tightened up a bit. On the plus side I had two types of gels (SiS and a Gu) that were more watery than typical gu and they settled in the stomach really well.

Bike: 39 mi

Run: 53.5 mi

Swim: 0.3 mi

Weights: 30:00

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

This, this this!! Tried LMNT because their sample pack was free and it is super salty. When I double the water to mix ratio it comes out about right for me. I'll also add that their "normal" citrusey flavors are great but chocolate salt is an abomination that should be destroyed from Orbit.

Trying to get caught up but my kids are headed to a swim meet after a big vacation so I don't expect them to do well. Oh well.

I must operate WAY differently than you guys. A pack of that stuff (or my homebrew version of it) in 23oz of water doesn't seem oddly salty at all. 1.5 packets in the same amount of water starts to get there, though.

Watermelon is probably my favorite (tastes and smells like a Jolly Rancher), but the chocolate was oddly good to me (as someone who dislikes chocolate in general).

DD1 had a 5v5 soccer tournament that started at 1pm the day after we got back from Galveston. Not pleasant conditions to be in! Best of luck to your kiddos.

5k: 17:58 11/22 โ”‚ 10k: 37:55 9/21 โ”‚ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 โ”‚ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - you are an interesting man. Those packets have half your daily salt in one packet! I can't believe you don't think that's salty enough. It's not like I drink it and then wow this is awful, but I finish it and think "I'm still thirsty, I need water to wash that out." The flavoring is incredibly delicious though, they did a great job with that. So I just need to water it down more for my runs and take in more actual water. That should solve the problem.

Now I just need to find a way to carry it all. I guess I can always just refill my water jugs on the route, but part of this entire process was I really wanted to avoid stopping all the time at water fountains on long runs.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - you do lose an awful amount of water during your runs. You might have some sort of imbalance.

You know I've lived in a very warm area for all my life, I sweat a lot, I'm like 50lbs heavier than you and yet my max has been around 2.5kg on a 30km run in a very hot day.

It got so bad I stopped sweating and there was a thin layer of salt on my skin.

Zeb - Do you hold that same opinion about caramel chocolate? Cause then we'll have to fight ๐Ÿคบ

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio - that's interesting that's bad for you, that's actually what I look like during the hot but not scorching runs. During the true scorchers (150+ TDP), there's so much water loss I don't get the salt ring. It will be interesting as your marathon training ramps up if you see the sort of weight loss I do once you get to 20 miles. It's definitely just a heat issue for me though: I can easily do 22 mile long runs in October with not a single ounce of water drank. I just seem to sweat a lot during these hot summer runs and it impacts me severely.

My brewery run this weekend actually looking decent for summer. Temps in the low to mid 70s, dew point around 60. Obviously not great racing weather but for mid-summer racing, that's top 20% weather. It's a 5 mile race (or just a hair over 8K), so I think a time of 28:XX would be good in decent summer weather and where I'm at with training / recent 5K times.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Water loss - Bothersome Kiwi Point this morning, but I did a pretty easy re-introduction to speedwork this morning. 6x 3 min M effort, 2 min Easy, 10.25mi/16.5km,80 minutes overall. Overall I lost a bit over 4.5lbs/2kg after accounting for water consumed during the run.

I'm looking forward to my upcoming marathon cycle, partially just due to the coach but also that it looks like he's targeting 5x races/tune-ups prior to CIM (not counting the hot chocolate 15k I'm pacing). This is way more racing that I'll have ever done before a specific goal race, which I think will absolutely be a huge benefit. Plus, I've always wanted to really run a turkey trot, but have never been able to do it.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

zebano

Jmac - you do lose an awful amount of water during your runs. You might have some sort of imbalance.

You know I've lived in a very warm area for all my life, I sweat a lot, I'm like 50lbs heavier than you and yet my max has been around 2.5kg on a 30km run in a very hot day.

It got so bad I stopped sweating and there was a thin layer of salt on my skin.

Zeb - Do you hold that same opinion about caramel chocolate? Cause then we'll have to fight ๐Ÿคบ

JMac I totally agree, I suspect it has to do with his low-carb diet. I'm not a fan for anything shorter than 2 hours but hydration packs really are the way to go if you want to carry a lot of water. I'm with you in that I hydrate heavily (with electrolytes) in the hot & humid months but once September rolls around I'll rarely drink anything while running.

Flavio Are we talking Caramel Chocolate Salt LMNT packet that you mix with water or something like a Caramelo which is delicious? Chocolate was made to be mixed with milk, not water.

JMac  Report back on the electrolyte content / rehydration powers of those brewskies. Inquiring minds want to know.

Keen That's a lot of tune up races, sounds like fun! Turkey trots are incredibly hit or miss but the one in my town usually has 30-50 people faster than me which makes it a great race to run fast at since it's also flat and well-measured.

I bombed yesterday's workout. The legs just weren't there after Sunday's cutdown so coach is restructuring the rest of this week to bring mileage back into the 40s though he has said he wants me in the 50s regularly by late July if we can do so safely..

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Water loss - Bothersome Kiwi Point this morning, but I did a pretty easy re-introduction to speedwork this morning. 6x 3 min M effort, 2 min Easy, 10.25mi/16.5km,80 minutes overall. Overall I lost a bit over 4.5lbs/2kg after accounting for water consumed during the run.

(takes out abacus, does some crunching): seems like our sweat rates were near equal at about a pound every 20 minutes! I'm not deformed (take that Flavio!)

Regarding racing, wow that's a lot. I have only 3 tune up races planned. My beer run this Sunday, a 10K in mid September, and then a half in October. That's always the right amount of races for me, including lengths. I start with something shorter, than a 10K, then finally a half. 5 races can work if 2-3 of them are around 5K given the quick recovery.

Zebano - agreed, exactly what I thought regarding low-carb diet. That's also cool with your turkey trots: they usually get the fast college kids to run. I've never run one either, CIM will not help this year either!

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - I can't really say I agree with the general recommendations around sodium intake since the studies that lead to them weren't interventional and were confounded by healthy/unhealthy user biases.
                        While I certainly don't agree with everything they say, the American Counsel on Sports Medicine recommends 7-10 grams of sodium (more than double that if we're talking salt, which is only ~40% sodium) per day for someone who exercises at high intensity or at all in hot and/or humid conditions.
                        It's actually really, really difficult for a person to overdo sodium intake as any excess just gets excreted via sweat or the kidneys. Low sodium can have some very nasty effects, though.

As for the races, there's a "maybe" 5k in early September, but more likely I'll be doing a 10k mid-September, the HM in Texas I've been trying to win for years, then an actual tune-up 10k in mid-November and a sharpening 5k (or 8k if available) turkey trot as a last real workout. 5k & 10k PRs should be a given, but there's a chance I might be able to PR the half, even though it's not what I'd consider a PR-course.

Zebano - It's certainly way more races than I've ever done before a target, but I do think it'll be good for me to sharpen/keep sharp that edge. I know DWave is a fan of racing frequently.
                        I ran one of the two local turkey trots a couple years ago with my wife, but it's the other I hope goes forward this year as it's a faster course and will have better competition.
                        Also, Caramelos are delicious.

ETA: I just took the shoes I wore for my workout this morning in off the porch (letting them dry out, as you do) and when I put them in the closet noticed that the soles were glowing quite brightly. I had no idea these shoes had glowing soles at all, or that any did for that matter. Assuming one "charges" them properly before a run that actually seems like a super-nifty safety feature for road running in the dark.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Zeb - Oh, yeah I agree, nuke that shit. ๐Ÿคฎmixing powder chocolate with water ๐Ÿคฎ

Jmac - You’re shedding more weight than an MMA fighter cutting weight. And they drink gallons of water in the lead up to the weight cut.

I'm thinking the most logical explanation is that you place your scale just slightly different and it measures low.

Would you do me a favor: Could you please check under your scale if it says "Made in New Zealand"?

Legs - So I measured my legs from the ground up to my hip bone. 107cm or 42.13 inches. I'm 1.85m tall so the ratio is 0.5784 (leg length to full height).

I'm just going to throw that cause I know you guys are crazy about numbers and we had an important discussion a while ago about leg length.

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Flavio - You just came up with something else I can measure, thanks! If I can remember I'll figure out that ratio myself this morning. Measured to the very top of your hip bone?

JMac - I meant to post this before, but could it be that you getting thirstier when you drink that electrolyte mix is your body saying that you need those extra electrolytes?

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

zebano

Legs - So I measured my legs from the ground up to my hip bone. 107cm or 42.13 inches. I'm 1.85m tall so the ratio is 0.5784 (leg length to full height).

I'm just going to throw that cause I know you guys are crazy about numbers and we had an important discussion a while ago about leg length.

Oh no. More numbers. I've also read that weight in the calves and the ratio of tibia to femur plays a role.

One source: https://www.letsrun.com/news/2013/07/sports-gene-by-david-epstein-a-must-read-for-all-coaches/

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Keen - so I measured to the hip bone, but just above the pant's pocket. I guess if I measured it by the side it would be different.

What's your current gadget count?

Is it still 3 (gps watch, armband hrm and power meter)?