Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Keen - so I measured to the hip bone, but just above the pant's pocket. I guess if I measured it by the side it would be different.

I can play too.

I measured to the top of the iliac crest (I'm assuming that's what you meant).  36 inches exactly (91.5 cm)  I'm 5'4"/1.62m.  So .5625 is my ratio.

If you measure to the greater trochanter then my legs are obviously shorter.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Alright, it's going to be the top of the iliac crest.

It will be closer to the side, you can follow the bone to find the top (Yes Piwi, it's the anatomy forum 😂)

Mine is 1.11m or 43.7 inches so my ratio is exactly 0.6. woahhh

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Marky_Mark_17

I'm intrigued by this discussion but I'm gonna have to wait until tonight to measure or I'm going to get some very strange looks from people in the office.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

I'm intrigued by this discussion but.....I'm gonna have to wait till I can work out ratios 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Running Problem

Problem Child

Top of iliac crest: 38 9/16 inches (38.5625 inches)

height: 68 inches

Ratio: 0.56709 according to the internet. 

I’ll have to figure out water loss. Do we wipe ourselves down after the run and weigh in the nude, or fully geared up? I’ve always done the measurement sweaty right before stepping in the shower. I don’t drink electrolytes when I do long runs.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I'm intrigued by this discussion but.....I'm gonna have to wait till I can work out ratios 

It's getting too math heavy here.

Instead, I can talk about how I watched a show last night about a NZ air crash (Ansett flight 703). The story is sad of course as a few people died, but the majority did survive crashing into a hill outside the Auckland airport. I couldn't help but laughing when they revealed how they found them. A passenger had a cell phone (crazy for 1995) and told investigators that the nearest thing they could identify was a huge sheep pen. Of course, someone on the other line knew exactly which sheep pen it was and they were able to find them. It was about NZ as a plane crash can get.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Anyone who does 3x1 mile at 5K pace is insane.

Ummm.....

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4093358513

Is this what you're talking about, or is the rest period too long? This is before I actually ran a 19:34 5k. Training for CIM 2019. I'm pretty sure I look forward to this workout ending because it is the END of speed work for marathon training, and it becomes "marathon pace minus 10 seconds" workouts a week later.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Flavio - Gadget count is 4, actually. Watch, Stryd, armband oHR, and a thermometer! Mostly just for review, honestly. During most runs I won't even look at my watch except to check distance when I'm running a distance that doesn't allow me to make a turn every mile, Stryd is mostly for helping pace workouts (particularly on hills). HR I really only check after the fact.

JMac - "Getting too mathy"?? Said no actuary, ever.

RP - I checked my post-run weight after showering and drying off to be closest to the state in which I measured myself before the run.

Ratios - 43.5"/1.1m to the top of the illiac crest, 6'1"/1.85m tall. .5959 ratio.

Has anyone tried the Skechers Razor Excess? I've heard good things and I'm curious.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

JamesD

JamesD

106.7 cm/182 cm = 0.586.  In the middle of the group, which surprised me since I've always thought that for my height I have relatively short legs and a long torso.

Looking forward to Olympic track starting tonight, even though I assume lots of the runners are doping.  Haven't been able to get into the other sports this time.  We've watched some beach volleyball (DW played indoor for her university) and the men's triathlon, but that's about it so far.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

darkwave

Mother of Cats

106.7 cm/182 cm = 0.586.  In the middle of the group, which surprised me since I've always thought that for my height I have relatively short legs and a long torso.

I'm pretty sure I'm bringing up the rear.   I'm all torso.

As a US east coaster, I've appreciated the timing of these Olympics - it works well for watching Tokyo evening sessions while running on the treadmill before work my time.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Looking forward to Olympic track starting tonight, even though I assume lots of the runners are doping.  Haven't been able to get into the other sports this time.  We've watched some beach volleyball (DW played indoor for her university) and the men's triathlon, but that's about it so far.

you have a slightly higher ratio than me and you're 4 inches taller. Keen is the same height (roughly) as you and has an even higher ratio.

Maybe tall people have longer legs, and short people have shorter legs.

EDIT: I use the You Tube TVs and while I don't like how they're organizing things it gets me what I want. I watch it when I have nothing else to do and fast forward commercials. It's amazing how fast a triathlon is when you're cutting out breaks, or the part where they're just riding in a straight line around a track like a NASCAR race.

VDOT 53.37 

Ah OK so I only have to divide the leg length by height. I can manage that.

103cm/173cm = .595 same as Keen.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

No such thing as too much maths!

JMac - I’d completely forgotten about that. It crashed in some mountain ranges outside Palmerston North, not Auckland. Less likely to find sheep in Auckland but it’s still possible.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

It's getting too math heavy here.

Instead, I can talk about how I watched a show last night about a NZ air crash (Ansett flight 703). The story is sad of course as a few people died, but the majority did survive crashing into a hill outside the Auckland airport. I couldn't help but laughing when they revealed how they found them. A passenger had a cell phone (crazy for 1995) and told investigators that the nearest thing they could identify was a huge sheep pen. Of course, someone on the other line knew exactly which sheep pen it was and they were able to find them. It was about NZ as a plane crash can get.

I remember seeing this on the news after school.

I think the flight had left Auckland bound for Palmerston North, and the crash was near Palmerston North Airport.  This actually makes it more amusing because Palmerston North has a lot more sheep pens than Auckland.

Anyway, Ansett went bust a few years later like most airlines do. 

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Wait, so Mark does not have a pet sheep? That's disappointing 😁

RP - Watching later is so much better, you can save more than half the time.

I do that for UFC fights and I can watch like all the fights in under 2h (as opposed to 6 or 7h of a full event).

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly