Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

As a general rule, when people describe an athlete as simply "able to work harder than everyone else/never gets tired"...that's when I get suspicious.

There's a misconception that PEDs substitute for hard work.  When many of them simply enable an athlete to tolerate and benefit from more work then they can handle otherwise.

There are very few serious athletes who are limited by their dedication.  Most are ultimately limited by their bodies.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Emma Twigg, you champion. The drugs don’t work

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

What's the first thought that crosses your minds when you read this?

Twigg won her semifinal on Thursday to be the fastest sculler into the final – but among her rivals is a rower who has come out of nowhere following a decade of middling form.

Hanna Prakatsen has taken the rowing world by storm this year, being undefeated in 11 races at elite level – her first as a single sculler.

I read that article also and had exactly the same thought I suspect you had.

The counterpoint is of course Eric Murray and Hamish Bond.  8 years straight undefeated in the sport, across OIympics, World Champs etc.  No-one ever suggested they were on drugs, but of course they never had a mysterious break partway through either.

Emma Twigg I'm particularly stoked for though, coming off fourth places at London and Rio.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

Hubbard was a good, but nowhere near elite male weightlifter.

The whole argument about reducing hormone levels doesn't negate the years before of being male. One of the reasons that out of competition drug testing is because the drug effects are long term.

A really obvious example is that skeleton from having grown up male - bigger hands which probably helps weight lifting, being taller etc.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Running Problem

Problem Child

As a general rule, when people describe an athlete as simply "able to work harder than everyone else/never gets tired"...that's when I get suspicious.

There's a misconception that PEDs substitute for hard work.  When many of them simply enable an athlete to tolerate and benefit from more work then they can handle otherwise.

There are very few serious athletes who are limited by their dedication.  Most are ultimately limited by their bodies.

7 time Western States Champion Scott Jurek might have been described as such. Ann Traeson as well. Sometimes it’s just their natural abilities exceed what can be comprehended as normal. Andre the Giant is another RARE individual.

These three were greats in their sport probably because their bodies didn’t get tired when their competitors did. Maybe it’s because back then the level of competition wasn’t where it is today.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

watsonc123

Also, one more race for the calendar.  Sorry it being late:

Sanders & Gough Cross Country

~8km

Aim 34:47

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

I was shocked and horrified to see New Zealands Women's rowing 8 who won silver today, has a male member 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Are you assuming the gender of one of that team Piwi?

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Whoops sorry my bad. Facial hair is gender neutral these days 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

As for the crazy...in my life I've been involved in the lawyer world, the goth-industrial music world, the running world, and the equestrian world.  Equestrians are the craziest, and it's not even close.  (the goths are the sanest).

Thanks for the verification, that assessment is exactly what I would expect.

Anyway, in my opinion someone born as a biological male has years of musculoskeletal development as a male which will tend to give them a significant advantage in sports relying on muscular strength or speed.  They arguably need their own category.  Anyway I'm not sure us men are allowed to have opinions on such things any more but interestingly a number of NZ's elite female runners have the same view.

Hot take of the day: Having a strict "XX chromosome only" category and an "Open" category should completely solve this "issue".

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

Hot take of the day: Having a strict "XX chromosome only" category and an "Open" category should completely solve this "issue".

How dare you assume someone’s gender using Deoxyribonucleic Acids. Gender fluidity is real and you’d have to creat a ‘non-binary’ class instead of an ‘open’ class so you can be woke. Yeah. I said it.

Running related edit:

I did a 6x800m @5k pace workout yesterday. Started developing a side stitch around 4 and it ‘kinda sucked pretty bad’ on 5. My GOAL was a 2:18 600m and I think it should have been a 2:20-22 without using the TDP 1-2% slow down. Would going out too hard in hot conditions cause me to breathe harder, peg my heart rate around 175-182 (typically marathons are 160-170) and cause that side stitch? I was kind of short on time but looking at my workout overall I was slowing down with two reps to go and I probably would NOT have been able to keep pace for number 8. 
                        also, to be clear…the 1% adjustment for 2:20 is 1% of 142 seconds so a whole 1-2 seconds slower, correct?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Keen -  I agree they should create a 3rd non-binary category for these people.

Everybody thought hey let's let this happen, nothing will come of it, until people saw that outrageous 800m final in Rio.

I guess at that point it became obvious why we need to put brakes on the woke people.

Look at how competitive the 800s suddenly became when it was only non-enhanced females competing in it.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

why did you have a 2:18 600m target if you were running 800's? Or was it the workout actually 8x600 ?

Running related edit:

I did a 6x800m @5k pace workout yesterday. Started developing a side stitch around 4 and it ‘kinda sucked pretty bad’ on 5. My GOAL was a 2:18 600m and I think it should have been a 2:20-22 without using the TDP 1-2% slow down. Would going out too hard in hot conditions cause me to breathe harder, peg my heart rate around 175-182 (typically marathons are 160-170) and cause that side stitch? I was kind of short on time but looking at my workout overall I was slowing down with two reps to go and I probably would NOT have been able to keep pace for number 8. 
                            also, to be clear…the 1% adjustment for 2:20 is 1% of 142 seconds so a whole 1-2 seconds slower, correct?

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Keen -  I agree they should create a 3rd non-binary category for these people.

I wouldn't say a 3rd category, because (among other reasons) that 3rd category would eventually "need" to be split into multiple others in order to accommodate particular individuals. Speaking at a biological level, the presence of a Y chromosome is probably a greater performance enhancer than anything else when comparing equal levels of competitors. Yes, there are many women who can absolutely destroy me in any running event, but those that can will also have a higher age-graded performance for the distance than what I'm capable of and therefore it's not a good comparison. When comparing equivalent levels of athletes (absolute top of sport, mid-pack college runners, local age groupers, etc.) men's records are simply faster than the women's. Comparative results here.

Additionally, how would a 3rd category fit in with competitions and broadcasts? What's the size of the market that would tune in specifically for a 3rd category that may only have a couple entrants in any particular event? What would the return on investment be for broadcasters and advertisers?

What I'm proposing is that the women's becomes the "XX chromosome" category and the men's becomes an "Open / anyone who wants to compete/anyone who doesn't strictly fit into the XX division" category.

ETA: I certainly don't think any of the regulars around here would accuse me of this, but just to cover myself in general... I'm absolutely not saying, nor do I think, that men are superior to women in general. There are plenty of areas in which women far outperform men as a general rule. I'm just pointing out that when it comes to purely speed/strength related endeavors that men will usually come out on top.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

darkwave

Mother of Cats

ETA: I certainly don't think any of the regulars around here would accuse me of this, but just to cover myself in general... I'm absolutely not saying, nor do I think, that men are superior to women in general. There are plenty of areas in which women far outperform men as a general rule. I'm just pointing out that when it comes to purely speed/strength related endeavors that men will usually come out on top.

For myself, I have no issue with acknowledging the reality that women are at a deficit against men physiologically in certain sports.  The sexes are NOT equal in physical performance most sports (I think this is a reality that those who do not compete seriously in sports don't quite get - since they never observe women and men training together).

In fact, so many of the issues that we wrestle with in running (i.e. BQ times, OTQ times, having a separate elite start for women) come down to the fundamental dilemma that we are trying to ensure equal treatment when there is unequal ability.

I don't think that chromosomes is the way to go in running, though.  In running, the differences between the sexes appear to mostly hinge on testosterone levels, and it is entirely possible for a woman to be XY, but to have a defect in her Y chromosome so that she does not respond to testosterone and doesn't gain any of the advantages from it.  (this is DSD with CAIS - complete androgen insensitivity syndrome; as opposed to DSD with PAIS - partial androgen insensitivity syndrome, which is where Semenya, Niyonsaba, Wambui, and others fall). 

I really think that the current testosterone standard used by World Athletics is the fairest way to handle a difficult subject.  To CK's point, I would like to see a distinction drawn between sex and gender in competition - basically, you can identify however you feel best genderwise, but competitive sex is based on eligibility rules.  Similar to how Nicki Hiltz is handling it - they identify as non-binary from a gender standpoint; but physiologically qualify for the women's sex division, so they compete in that division.

I do like the idea of a third non-binary division being offered (some of our local races are offering this) - basically it's a way for people who are really uncomfortable with checking one box or the other when registering to still enjoy the race.  Generally this division has no strict criteria and does not offer money - if you want money you need to check the box for your physiological sex.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.