Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

DW it was scary when Kipchoge casually fistpumped 👊

the other dude about 1/3 into the race.

My recovery heartrate when running about 8.48 pace is normally 120ish. That run was a bit slower but not sure if that 114bpm is totally accurate.

The Kiwis didn't do so well in the equestrian. Bruce Springsteen will be 😊

I hope your new medication works well for you.

Steve nice week. HMP or tempo pace is tough.  I usually feel more comfortable with it after the first couple of kms.

That photo would have been in August so not too hot. Just the beach scene gives that impression plus I'm just about to finish the 10k so I'm pretty pumped with blood.

My son is coming down to Christchurch tomorrow to go snowboarding and catch up with my daughter.

Flavio I remember been constipated once for about 5 days. I started to really worry about it too but once the blockage cleared I was back to normal.

Damn you on beating us in the medals 🏅 😕

Zebano that was a great 1500m. Jacob is amazing.

Hocker finished strong. He should be a beast as he gets stronger.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

zebano

Steve is that just me complaining about the humidity or are you actually looking at the weather data?

Regardless I think you're underrating your "reasons" especially donating blood as that can take weeks to really recover from. Also HMP is hard, especially in the middle of training. At least your Wednesday run went well. I still find it interesting how fast your easy pace is.

DW  7 miles near tempo effort is good work. Eeek. I hope the meds work for you.

Piwi I saw that 114 HR run, that's crazy low. Yeah Hocker is pretty awesome right now but I keep hearing "he's only 20" he'll get faster ... which is true, but that's also the same age that Jakob is. He's got a tough road if he wants to start earning medals on the world stage but I think he's got a shot.

How did the math teacher get rid of her constipation?

She worked it out with a #2 pencil!

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Steve - that’s a very interesting workout, I guess don’t sweat it unless you have a string of bad workouts. That 8k at 4:30 is a silent killer 

Darkwave - that Tuesday workout is interesting. You ran the miles at roughly tempo pace, so you should have plenty for the 800s which are probably at 3k pace for you, so it seems doable.

me - I have edited out my rant once I realized I sounded like a 5 year old screaming cause he lost his pet fish. I do realize there are a billion things worse than my past week.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Darkwave - that Tuesday workout is interesting. You ran the miles at roughly tempo pace, so you should have plenty for the 800s which are probably at 3k pace for you, so it seems doable.

Those miles weren't at tempo effort - they were hard.   Aerobically, I was really struggling.  As the interval got shorter, aerobic ability became less of an issue - the 400s were fun.

This iron deficiency/whatever has turned my running inside out - I'm now much better at shorter distances right now....

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I am mainly going to be living over in Sub 3 for the rest of the year, as I've tried to keep track of both threads but it is every difficult (kudos to those of you who do). However, I wanted to chime in on Steve's workout because I commented on it over on Strava.

Frankly, that workout seems way too intense for someone going for sub 1:30. Running 16 miles for a long run is already near the peak of how long I would run for a half, but also adding in 4K at HMP and 2K at LT pace to finish it off? Maybe if you're running sub-75 minutes and running 100+ MPW, but that is just nuts for someone with your goals. It also probably works for people much slower because HMP and their easy pace are pretty close. But I can't think of many people that can run 16 miles with the last 4 miles at HMP or faster.

If I was going to run something like that, I would have done it in a 90 minute long run instead. That type of run you did is classic marathon training. It is overkill for a half.

Just my opinion. Obviously listen to your coach. But no wonder you couldn't complete the workout, and you do have a excuse: it's a ridiculous workout.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

dwave I learned early on NOT to question your workouts. With all the new/changing medications I really don't know how you continue to train just mentally. New medications would make me worry about some kind of delayed onset emotional change.

flavio no smoke coming from Asia. It's all the Dixie fire (Lake Almanor, CA) and a little bit from the River Fire (Colfax, CA). I won't run if it is an AQI of 150+ and it was 175-225 the entire weekend. Even today's run where the federal website showed an AQI of 82 (yellow, not a problem with running) and other sensors are reading 110 it seemed to be worse. When I finished and took a shower the "non-federal" sensors were reading 150. My stomach agreed. It is weird to see the equivalent of a smog layer hovering over the area trapping in the heat, but also blue skies.

Piwi I thought the fist bump was cool. I'm guessing the guy from Brazil who initiated it was just honored to have been running with him.

Zeb nice dad joke.

My week.

I skipped the Thursday TRX workout. Just kidna tired and didn't want to do it an dalso blamed it on the wife wanting to take a shower and me having to "make the rounds" and make sure the inmates didn't escape their cells. I think I need to step up the TRX effort/difficulty. It almost seemed easy. The workouts don't make me feel comfortable about where I'm at. Lots of work to do towards another sub 3 attempt.

Weekly for period: From: 08/02/2021 To 08/08/2021

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
              in ft
              08/02 That time I tried to be a morning person. 7.01 11.27 00:58:05 08:17 05:09 115
              08/03 That time it’s like being offered help by the one who kicked you down. 6.90 11.10 00:57:16 08:18 05:10 154
              08/03 Evening Activity 0.00 0.00 00:28:52 00:00 00:00 0
              08/04 That time I had more to say. 6.08 9.78 00:51:25 08:27 05:15 285
              08/05 That time the theme was Thirsty Thursday Throwbacks. 7.63 12.27 00:57:30 07:32 04:41 358
              08/06 That one hundred isn’t as good as TWO. 1.00 1.62 00:08:29 08:29 05:14 7
              08/08 BRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPP 6.94 11.16 00:21:10 03:03 01:54 823

Total distance: 35.56mi

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

zebano - Mostly from your complaining but I did click into one to see the stats.  Not fun.

darkwave - Nice week.  I agree with RP that given some of the health issues you deal with, your training is amazing.  I guess the blood donation could have had a 1-2% impact which would be enough to throw me off in a tough workout.

RP - Sounds like you need a few easy weeks to get over your motivation hump (and get to autumn).

JMac - I did think it looked like a huge workout when I saw it, and checked if he'd put a typo or something in there.  I also tried gels for the first time in half training since I've had a series of fades in races, I want to try something different.  Having said that, I thought it should have been achievable with my base.  The 4:30 pace into the wind didn't feel too hard, although maybe it was killing me silently as Flavio said.  I figured that since we're going for it for the next race, he was upping the ante.  A sub 1:15 runner would do the same workout at much faster speeds so isn't it basically the same thing for such a runner?

When I questioned him, I suspected he'd meant to make the 4:30 block 4km so the total work was 10km.  I feel like that would have been a pretty comfortable workout.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Mark - Great job on the race, I'm glad you got out of it what you wanted.

Flavio - Glad you got those issues figured out and are doing better.

James, Piwi, Zebano, Steve, DWave, - Nice weeks.

DWave - I hope the new medication works well for you. Could there be any sort of dietary trigger for the UC?

RP - Sucky about the AQ getting in the way. If only the left coast would institute practices that would help reduce forest fires.

Marathon training week #1 is in the books! The LR was pretty easily the hardest I've had in quite a while, but overall I'm pretty happy with how it went.
                  There was exactly zero nutritional need for it, but I did try out two of the new SiS Beta Fuel gels. They're certainly larger than Maurten or others, but I may prefer them. They went down quite easily with no GI issues (effort wasn't super high, but it was pretty darn warm), even without taking any water with them. If Maurten have a texture like chewed jello, these are more like jello that hasn't completely set yet. Certainly not solid at all, more thicker than a liquid (and not syrupy). I preferred the orange flavor to strawberry & lime. I don't have any of the lemon & lime, but may pick up some to test. Plus, there are more calories per gel in these than others, so fueling could be less frequent.

For anyone who's curious, they currently have a challenge on Strava that will get you a 50% discount code for a fuel bundle if you don't mind handing out an email address.

Weekly for period: From: 08/02/2021 To 08/08/2021

in ft
                  08/02 4 fawns (1 segment), & 1 owl 13.15 21.17 01:45:57 08:03 05:00 354
                  08/03 8 strides, 0 wildlife 9.05 14.57 01:16:40 08:28 05:16 397
                  08/04 40 minutes @ HM effort 13.25 21.33 01:35:30 07:12 04:29 433
                  08/04 Soccer practice wanderings 5.31 8.54 00:44:37 08:24 05:13 121
                  08/05 1 owl & 1 shooting star 8.05 12.96 01:09:34 08:39 05:22 387
                  08/06 1 shooting star & a fluffy white dog in the dark 11.75 18.91 01:37:07 08:16 05:08 456
                  08/07 9 lightning bugs & 7mi @ M effort 16.05 25.83 02:05:54 07:51 04:52 755
                  08/08 Nothing to see here 5.10 8.21 00:44:38 08:45 05:26 200

Total distance: 81.73mi

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JMac - I did think it looked like a huge workout when I saw it, and checked if he'd put a typo or something in there.  I also tried gels for the first time in half training since I've had a series of fades in races, I want to try something different.  Having said that, I thought it should have been achievable with my base.  The 4:30 pace into the wind didn't feel too hard, although maybe it was killing me silently as Flavio said.  I figured that since we're going for it for the next race, he was upping the ante.  A sub 1:15 runner would do the same workout at much faster speeds so isn't it basically the same thing for such a runner?

Regarding the faster runner: I'm thinking more that they have a huge base (100+ MPW), not necessarily the overall speed, as their legs can handle that type of beating more.

Regarding gels, you already know my stance on that for sub 1:30 runners, but hey, if it works for you, go for it!

I'll also say fast finish long runs are huge in the half marathon, I do love them in training. This just seemed excessive, that's all. I would do something like 90 minutes easy, 5K at HMP as an absolute peaking workout, and it would be rough.

Given Mark's success at the half, would be interested in his thoughts here. Maybe I'm just being dramatic 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JamesD

JamesD

James - are the glutes pain? Or is it that good sign of productive soreness? I've always thought that if both glutes are hurting you're doing something right....

I don’t think it’s really the glutes, but glutes is easier to say than the top of the hamstrings where they connect to my pelvis (proximal/upper hamstring tendinopathy, I think).  It doesn’t feel like productive soreness, but it’s not a sharp, jabbing, you’re-tearing-something pain either.  The feeling is similar to that of mild-to-moderate DOMS, but I feel it during the run and for several hours after, not starting a day or two later like DOMS.  Usually both sides hurt, but one more than the other, and recently the left has been worse even though my right hamstring/upper hamstring was the main injury in both 2018 and 2020.  

Since resuming running in December, I’ve had the soreness in varying degrees pretty consistently, at least a couple of days every week, and the frequency & severity haven’t diminished like they did after several weeks back in 2018.  I delayed starting tempo runs until May because I hoped I could wait until the soreness went away, and then I delayed starting speedwork until July for the same reason.  It’s been maybe a little worse since I’ve been doing either a tempo run or cautious speedwork every fourth day, but it hasn’t been so bad that I’ve had to stop.  With a half in two months, I want to keep gradually stepping up my tempos and intervals so the race isn’t such a shock.  A 5K on the 21st should give me an idea of whether that’s a realistic plan.

As for preventative measures, I foam roll my glutes, hamstrings, calves, & quads before and after each run.  I ease into each run and often don’t reach my regular pace until 4-5 miles into a regular run, and I do warmup jogs & strides before tempos & speedwork.  After each run I gently stretch my quads and hamstrings, and after every postrun shower I stretch my hamstrings in a way suggested by my PT.  I did glute bridges for a while, but I’m reluctant to resume them and/or start new strengthening exercises until the soreness goes away and/or I get past the half.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

zebano

Kyle the humidity was stupid and you said "marathon effort" but if you're not already in sub 3 shape I'll eat my hat, I can't wait to see what crazy workouts you drop when the weather improves.

Re: SiS. Thanks for the heads-up, I actually saw that strava promo because you signed up for it. I've had good luck with SiS (non-Beta) gels so far (fingers crossed, I've not used them in a race yet). I'll have to supplement with some cycling to hit their 70 mile week minimum (or maybe that was a different promo and this one needs a 2.5 hour activity .. who remembers these things?).

RP It doesn't sound like the wildfires will end soon, it might be worth investing in a treadmill given where you live (ugg - I feel bad for typing that out).

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Just dropping in for a quick note on my week, i'll jump back on in the morning

I'm on Vacation again this week but will be busy trying to finalize things for our move.

I fell a bit short of my 25 to 30 mile target range this week in large part to

an issue during my WO on Saturday when my Hamstring tightened up. I went very easy and short on Sunday instead of the longer run I had planned.

Seems like it just knotted up on me I don't think it is strained or anything serious so doing some light stretching and some message.

I'll try my normal easy run tomorrow morning and see how it goes. if I feel back to normal by the weekend I'll proceed with another WO Saturday or Sunday.

Weekly for period: From: 08/02/2021 To 08/08/2021

in ft
                          08/03 Easy Run good recovery from Sunday’s WO 5.03 8.09 00:45:21 09:01 05:36 59
                          08/05 Evening Run 7.01 11.28 00:57:01 08:08 05:03 151
                          08/07 Was supposed to Be 1 up (600,4,2)x 2, on 5 min rest between reps and 2CD 5.42 8.72 01:17:17 14:16 08:52 52
                          08/08 Morning Run 4.60 7.40 00:55:17 12:01 07:28 30

Total distance: 22.06mi

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I don’t think it’s really the glutes, but glutes is easier to say than the top of the hamstrings where they connect to my pelvis (proximal/upper hamstring tendinopathy, I think).  It doesn’t feel like productive soreness, but it’s not a sharp, jabbing, you’re-tearing-something pain either.  The feeling is similar to that of mild-to-moderate DOMS, but I feel it during the run and for several hours after, not starting a day or two later like DOMS.  Usually both sides hurt, but one more than the other, and recently the left has been worse even though my right hamstring/upper hamstring was the main injury in both 2018 and 2020. 

As for preventative measures, I foam roll my glutes, hamstrings, calves, & quads before and after each run.  I ease into each run and often don’t reach my regular pace until 4-5 miles into a regular run, and I do warmup jogs & strides before tempos & speedwork.  After each run I gently stretch my quads and hamstrings, and after every postrun shower I stretch my hamstrings in a way suggested by my PT.  I did glute bridges for a while, but I’m reluctant to resume them and/or start new strengthening exercises until the soreness goes away and/or I get past the half.

Oh yeah, that's not glutes, that's high hamstring tendonitis.  I've dealt with that one.

FWIW, what has worked for me is:

a) making sure that I stretch my psoas and quads regularly (when those are tight, they pull on your pelvis, which in turn tilts and places more stress on the hamstrings).

b) not stretching my hamstrings (doing so just puts more stress on that attachment)

c) getting my glutes really strong and firing (when the glutes aren't doing their job, the hamstrings have to come in and compensate).

Not offering these as prescriptions - you have your own team and know your own body.  Just listing out what works for me, in case it is of any value.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JamesD

JamesD

darkwave - Thanks, that's helpful.  I really should resume some strengthening exercises (including swimming) after my half.  This close to it, I don't want to risk reaggravating my hernia, which has been pretty much ok the last couple of months.

Corey - Where are you moving to?  Our son loved his summer term at Clemson.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Thanks all for the well wishes for my son.  He should hear one way or another next week.  Yes Apparently there are still some companies that do in person interviews.

Flavio Are you feeling better? Hope you have a better week this week.

Piwi Nice week really putting in some good mileage! Nice Race Poster good luck if you sign up!

James Nice week.  We bought a small condo in the downtown area of Spartanburg last year.  We have been working with a GC on a complete remodel.  It's been slow but he is starting to wrap things up.  hopefully we will have our house on the market this week or next.

As fast as houses have been selling in this market we are trying not to end up without a place to live until we are at a point where we can move in.  (Hopefully beginning of Sept.)   My Son Loved Clemson too Where is your son staying?

Mark Nice week nice race as well, great job on the 2nd place finish!  Great video too looked like a beautiful place to run trails looked nice and compacted.

Zebano nice week

Steve another Great week sorry about the long run but there will be days like that just keep pushing through! I can see where Blood donation can set you back a little even if not an immediate impact.

DW nice week hope the new meds and med routine work out for you!

RP nice week Just sucks with all the Fires and Air quality issues going on out there right now.   A couple weeks back we had Air Quality Warnings all the way in SC due to the fires out there.

Keen nice Week congrats on Week 1 done

I need to go and catch some replays of the Olympics I missed a bunch of races, I did get to see the last 4 or 5 miles of the Women's Marathon Great effort by all!.

Getting ready to head out on my morning run we shall see how the hamstring feels today plan is for nice and easy.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)