Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - mine has done that once or twice.  Sometimes it shows up on Strava eventually.  Sometimes I get impatient and manually upload it.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

My run this morning appears in garmin connect but not on strava. Have tried a few things but can't get it across.

Any clues ?

Label it with the magic words: that time I ran the same round for the 4th time but Strava didnt believe me - and it will miraculously appear Smile

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

watsonc123

I have had that happen.  If the run is still on your watch, delete from Garmin, and re upload to Garmin.

Alternatively you could upload directly to Strava.  With the risk that Garmin also synch across and you have it twice in Strava.  And then you delete one from Strava.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Marky_Mark_17

I have had that happen.  If the run is still on your watch, delete from Garmin, and re upload to Garmin.

Alternatively you could upload directly to Strava.  With the risk that Garmin also synch across and you have it twice in Strava.  And then you delete one from Strava.

Strava seems to have an algorithm that does quite a good job of ensuring no double-ups.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

I finally got it in by installing garmin express on my laptop and plugging my watch in there. I lost my initial entry in garmin connect after I deleted it as Watson suggested but it wouldn't sync back in although it was in my watch.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Flavio I only just realized that it's you in the video 

Ok I had to try as im old and weak. 1.5m seemed to be doable but I doubt 18 times 

Rune thats impressive at 2.8m. I don't have any confidence in my ankles to jump these days.

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Rune  - 2.88m is super impressive!

Keen - group workouts can be very useful so long as you don’t race them.

me - Alright, not sure what was going on yesterday, but today I managed a better jump.

After my run I set myself to jump on the grass and right away I jumped nearly 2m.

I guess my ankles were sore and I was afraid of the fall and mentally blocked who knows.

I was very excited though so when I got inside I had my wife film myself jumping again 

Jump - part 2

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Flavio: Did I hear a dog bark after you jumped? It looks more pro then your first attempt Smile why are you doing this though?

Interestingly enough below your video youtube shows me sophie arvebrink this crossfit professional I ended up watching for a few minutes. Quite impressive!!!

I joined and posted last year in the 2020 thread. I was in great shape in 2020 as well.

I kept running throughout the year, hit 3200 miles for 2020.

My 2020 Half is no scheduled for May 8, 2021 - Indy Mini.

I will train as though it is happening, with the back of my mind fully expecting them to try and push it to the fall. Either way, just checking in so maybe I can get my hopes up that I can actually race something. I'm slow. 2020 me can kick 2021 me's butt.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Mick     I'm sure you're correct why piwi's run wouldn't show up in strava.

Piwi Was there a privacy change? For me it sometimes takes a little bit for the two to sync up. Sometimes it is hours later. wait...you PLUGGED IN your watch? What kind of dinosaur technology are you working with in the land of sailboats?

keen what massively downhill West coast OTQ late fall marathon would that be? This one? How about this one? Can't be Honolulu can it?

My local 5k I look forward to annually has gone virtural. They have runners and walkers start, then at some point release a D1 NCAA Track star to pass as many people as she can. Each entry is then donated to the discovery museum. If you're not passed you earn a pint glass. Typically a 21:30 or faster is what you need, but it was a motivating factor for me for a LONG  time and is another motivator for other runners in that pace range. Apparently they're going to have a time you need to beat to earn a cup. I'm tempted to go for another time trial 5k with some minimal 5k training again. I was just thinking "I need to do some speed work at some point" on my run yesterday.

Winter has also arrived. Last weekend was mid 50s. This weekend and moving foward is low 40s and in the teens overnight. Perfect time to pack a bag for 4 days in the hospital before brining child #2 home.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Flavio it looks like you are bending better and using your arms more in this 2nd video.

RP i do have Bluetooth but was getting desperate 🙃

It went through in the end. Somebody else started a thread on a garmin connect issue yesterday too.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

me - Alright, not sure what was going on yesterday, but today I managed a better jump.

After my run I set myself to jump on the grass and right away I jumped nearly 2m.

I guess my ankles were sore and I was afraid of the fall and mentally blocked who knows.

I was very excited though so when I got inside I had my wife film myself jumping again 

Jump - part 2

Nearly 2m is impressive in my book!  Is that workout part of your general strength training routine or is it prepping for certain shorter distance races?

I started adding strength training at the beginning of 2016 - I asked a personal trainer from my gym (an experienced marathon/ultra runner) to put together a good all round program...and one of the workouts included box jumps which I still regularly do. Although I’m not sure how much it’s improved my running...especially as I only use the 45cm and 60cm height boxes. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

runethechamp

Even though I know I shouldn't, I really want to try some broad jumps again now. Flavio, that second one looks a lot better. To get into the swing of things it might be better to practice in a place where you land on something semi-soft. A long jump sand pit is great of course, or even some grass, but that way you don't have to worry about what happens of you fall backwards after you land.

Watson - Ouch, your injury sounds painful. I was sure my shoulder was properly screwed but I only needed PT to strengthen and activate the right muscles again to hold my shoulder in place when I lifting my arm above my head.

RP - I like the concept of that 5k! They did something similar here for a local super sprint triathlon where you could try to "beat the pro", with "pro" also really being in quotation marks. Also sounds like the flash who was running at the baseball games here back when we were allowed to attend those kinds of things.

I "upped" my pace on my run yesterday to a hair faster than 8:30 per mile (5:15 per km) for 3 miles to see how it would feel and it was not easy! So I have a long way (and some pounds) to go to get into proper running shape. Funny though, HR wasn't that high, under 170 all the time, but my legs were toast. Humbling that this was my planned start pace for my fist (and slowest) marathon about 5 years ago, and even if I started faster (too fast it turned out) it felt ridiculously easy at the time. I think overall I might be in similar shape, maybe a little bit worse on running leg strength, than I was at this time of the year back in 2016. Amazing what a few weeks of training can do.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

RP I meant to ask you how is the skiing up where you live? I have family in SF and SJ and they talk about it often. Sounds expensive but fun. But I never had the chance to go. Rune might go up there every now and again for some winter fun too?

runethechamp

Mick - Skiing in Tahoe is absolutely amazing. Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWb7X3V_YVk

Btw, I haven't been skiing in a couple of years due to my hamstring injury. Turns out skiing is one of the worst things you can do when trying to recover from that. But when I was younger I thought it was fun to jump off some small tings here and there (way, way, way below the level of the guys in the video) and that whole snow vs asphalt thing definitely applies.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it