Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

darkwave - Great you're feeling better by the day.  That's a lot of detail on your gut!

zebano - Yep I'm doing more half-marathon specific pace at the moment, along with some Vo2 Max.  The race is 4 weeks away.

Flavio - Surprising lack of confidence, tied to how hard I'm working when at HMP or faster.  I've pulled up with a sore lower calf from last night's easy run which is concerning me a bit.  I may need to be careful this week.  I learned about a month ago the benefit of listening to my body and took one run off which saved me taking 2-3 weeks off.  It's feels like a tough decision when I'm not 100% sure there's an issue.  It does feel like more than the usual niggle though.

piwi - Hope you don't get too sick from the vaccine.  I gave blood 2 weeks ago and still have a big dark purple bruise covering half my forearm.  First time that's ever happened.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Zebano - sorry no pics from Mt. Iron.  I never take my phone out when I'm running, although in this case I arguably should have.  I hate carrying stuff and running is generally my chance to switch off.  I actually have an iPod nano that I take with me on long runs for music, specifically so I don't have to take my phone. There are some shots here.  Anyways good week and congrats on getting over the 50 miles.  I'm impressed you're trying to fit two weights sessions in a week, I basically have one that I split in half to cover everything.

Keen - congrats on your daughter's football results!  No doubt you will start racking up mileage that us mortal can only dream of now that you are getting into full-on marathon training.

Steve - not gonna lie, I stopped a few times on the way up.  And the descent was slowish because it's quite steep too.  But I was in a bad mood that day which probably sped me up a bit on the other sections.  That was a nice week from you anyways and particularly the long run with the workout in there.  Also you've reminded me I should probably give blood more often.  I'm a bit lazy with it but I'm O-.

Flavio - hope that back situation is improving.  You will notice the elevation difference once you get back to sea level I'm sure!  It makes a huge difference.

Darkwave - I applaud your weather complaining.  Good to hear the energy levels are improving.  I did a bunch of work a few years back for a radiology business and it is crazy some of the stuff they can pick up with MRI's and PET-CT's now.

Piwi - hope the vaccine goes well for you.  From what I've heard, mostly the first shot is fine, sometimes people are a bit crook for a day or two after the second one.  I should be able to get my first shot fairly soon but I might hold fire for a couple weeks and do it after national champs events.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

Oh good, a community case emerges just as race season is about to begin.  I guess we'll find out more soon, but looks like Sunday's race is definitely toast and I'd say out of four races in the next 6 weeks I might be lucky to get two.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

Yes, I think Saturdays Wellington Road Champs won't happen.

Sorry for being AWOL.  I ended up with 5 days off as I realized my calf doms from the steep hill training was actually a pulled muscle.  It is getting better, so back running.

Been busy with other commitments, so forum has slipped.

Darkwave - great news for you re no Chrones dicease.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Marky_Mark_17

Yes, I think Saturdays Wellington Road Champs won't happen.

Sorry for being AWOL.  I ended up with 5 days off as I realized my calf doms from the steep hill training was actually a pulled muscle.  It is getting better, so back running.

Been busy with other commitments, so forum has slipped.

Darkwave - great news for you re no Chrones dicease.

Ditto Auckland Road Champs on Sunday.  Which might make Nationals in 2.5 weeks interesting (if it goes ahead) as the regional champs normally double as selection for national champs.

Bummer on the pulled calf, glad to hear it's improving again.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Piwi I checked out the Ryan H. video & took a quick look at another video of him training for Boston back in 2009 you are right huge transformation.  It's good you have the vaccine coming too hope for a mild reaction. nice week at 50 miles

Keen congrats on the Daughter soccer team winning their bracket, Nice week too.

Flavio  sorry about the back paint on the long run but a nice week, great job

Watson sorry to hear about your calf

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - I echo your worries about CIM from the marathon thread. I still haven't bought tickets since prices seem to be going down very slightly, but the temptation to get the more expensive fully-refundable tickets (instead of just transferable credit) is quite strong.
                I'm also looking at backup races from about mid-November to mid-December.

Kiwis - Bummer about that one case. Hopefully there aren't a ton of restrictions coming down because of it.

ETA:

SIS + Strava challenge - I knocked out the requirements for this (15% discount) out on my LR last weekend, but when I tried redeeming the discount code I didn't get an email. Not to worry, I figured it might just take a bit. Fast forward to today and I received 9(!) discount codes across maybe an hour and there's zero way I could possibly use them were I inclined to try.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

Just watched Ryan Hall deadlift 500lbs and then go for a sub 5 mile. Unfortunately  could only manage 5.28 but man his body transformation from 2.04 marathoner to now is unreal.

https://youtu.be/Xo1bdNyBsE0

People were actually saying his body transformation was unhealthy when he first did it. I was shocked at how many health experts existed on his social media platforms saying a person with his abilities was unhealthy because how much muscle he packed on.

Mark wow I'm actually surprised you hadn't been vaccinated yet. With all the lockdowns I've read about I would have assumed you got the jab already. Bummer about the upcoming race being canceled. Mt Iron looks nice and steep.

CFarr best of luck with the race. Sometime just finishing is a good enough goal.

dwave good news on not having chrones. 78F and 71 dew point....ew but I'd take it over smoke filled air.

Keen good news on the winning of the bracket.

JMac any new plans/news for water on the long run? Weather getting ANY better so maybe you don't sweat as much?

I'd post my week but it's pretty much nothing. AQI is just not worth it TO ME to run in. I see plenty of people out there on Strava running and posting pictures or comments of "well not that great" and pretty much admitting they went out running knowing it was crap and their run was crap, but hey they got to run. I'm just not willing to do it. Heat and humidity are one thing. Damaging my lungs from prolonged exposure to unhealthy air for 14 days isn't worth it. I woke up to ash landing on my truck this morning and it's currently hovering around 300 at my house.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Keen - good Lord!! I wonder what’s your ceiling with regards to weekly mileage.

Piwi - I’m happy to hear the vaccine is arriving for you. Yeah, my issue is up in the spine erector in between the scapulae, that same injury from April flaring up again.

It does not help that I spend 10 to 12 hours a day typing on a computer.

Zeb - Yeah, he does mix, I had not noticed that, I guess your OCD is worse than mine Big grin

Steve - Hopefully no hard efforts 10 days before the race this time Smile

Mark - Are most of the cases appearing in the northern island ? Is that because that island is way more populous perhaps ? I’m guessing the Auckland metro area is prime for an outbreak as compared to the rest. I'm fairly certain by now that Covid does not pop up out of nowhere, so there are certainly breaches in the managed hotels used by border control (someone is sleeping with someone and is not telling).

I know Steve hates the lockdowns, but honestly it seems to me the best strategy for a place like New Zealand, out of the way without much re-seeding of the virus and your lockdown is very light if I'm honest. To top that, I read that New Zealand's economy actually grew last year and you had a lower mortality compared to previous years?

It's a pain for the tourism industry and anybody trying to travel abroad though ( though I suppose a lot of the jet setters end up traveling domestically instead).

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Flavio - last time all I did was 2 x 5km of race pace. Aren’t you the one who recommends a 10km tempo 10 days out?

I’m not sure I’d call the lockdown light. All workplaces closed, schools, restaurants etc. No leaving the house, except for essentials and exercise. They’re even considering a mask mandate for runners. They’ll need to arrest me.

If this was actually serious I might see the point. There’s one case. It’s not even on the island I live on. But let’s kill off a few more businesses.  Not sure where you read our economy grew last year? We had our worst GDP numbers in history by many orders of magnitude. There was a bounce back this year but there had to be. A lot of it is the money printer.

2024 Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

Steve my Governor (guy in charge of running the entire state. 1 for each state.) said "if the exercise is too hard to do with a mask then pick a different exercise" in winter when the coronavirus numbers were going up. Now....he just tells a business to submit a plan on how they're going to stop the spread. This avoids him being the bad guy and creating a lock down. He put out a mandate to follow CDC guidelines. CDC said it RECOMMENDS wearing a mask. All of a sudden every business is requiring masks be worn. Governor was very smart with the words he is choosing. I think a mandatory lockdown would do a LOT of good here. People not allowed to leave their homes for work or play would definately let the virus work through those who have it, and slow the spread. He won't do it though. Too worried about re-election campaign this fall.

EDIT

New Zealand in lockdown over single Delta variant Covid case | News | The Times

WHOA! you lock down when ONE case shows up? We have had people DIE of delta and social distancing hasn't even come back. Just "please go get vaccinated. the vaccine works." which shocks me.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Yep, one case. Our govt has zero ability to be agile, even after 18 months.

I follow a few US political podcasts so I know how bad Newsom is. Would you prefer Caitlyn Jenner or Larry Elder? 

We don’t quite have people yelling at people or calling them murderers for not wearing masks yet. I won’t respond to that too well. I’ll wear them in private businesses if they want me to of course, but never for running.

2024 Races:

I must admit one case for the whole country to go into level 4 seems extreme to me.

So much disruption with no income for the next few days at least for alot of businesses.

The positive is we get to chill as a family at home. My oldest son moved back in for lockdown.

At least running around the neighborhood is ok.

My vaccine shot tonight is postponed I think ?

Flavio I get sore in my shoulder blade on most runs now from holding my arm carriage. It's a pinched muscle or something. I've kinda got used to it but it's a nuisance.

I'm bringing out a video soon.

60lb deadlift straight into a sub 6 min mile 😃

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

I'm with you on that Steve.  No way am I wearing a mask when running.

I think one thing that is frustrating is the inconsistent responses.  Some Australian tourist in Wellington 2 months ago went to a ton of bars and restaurants while contagious, the advice was "be careful Wellington, everyone else carry on as normal".  We get a case in Auckland and it's hardcore lockdown for the whole country.  Of course if our government had actually done something useful and got on with the vaccine rollout we wouldn't have to go for such an extreme knee-jerk response.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

It is 5 cases now.

The difference with the case a few months ago was that it was NOT community transmission.

Flavio - we have 4 levels:

1 - border restrictions, and masks on public transport

2 - above plus no mass gatherings

3 - above plus schools closed (except for kids of essential workers who have no alternative child care)

4 - above plus most businesses closed (pretty much only pharmacies, supermarkets and petrol stations stay open)

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25