Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I'm with you on that Steve.  No way am I wearing a mask when running.

I think one thing that is frustrating is the inconsistent responses.  Some Australian tourist in Wellington 2 months ago went to a ton of bars and restaurants while contagious, the advice was "be careful Wellington, everyone else carry on as normal".  We get a case in Auckland and it's hardcore lockdown for the whole country.  Of course if our government had actually done something useful and got on with the vaccine rollout we wouldn't have to go for such an extreme knee-jerk response.

It's lucky we were front of the queue for vaccines.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Running Problem

Problem Child

steve I think I'd be in the "anyone but the current guy" mentality like a lot of people were for the Presidential race. I don't think the guy who feels he can shut down a state, but rules don't apply to HIS party should be in control. He even went so far as to SUE because his people didn't fill out his party affiliation for the recall paperwork, and he was told "you're not getting a D because you didn't fill it out" and he felt the rule didn't apply to him. So...anyone but the current guy. The recall actually doesn't require people vote for a specific candidate. If Gavin loses the recall election the person with the most votes gets the job. Mickey Mouse could actually become Governor of California if enough people wrote him in.

Watson I think my state has had more people DIE from Delta than you have had test positive for it. Still no lock down.

air quality now above 400. I'll see if I can attach a photo. There is an orange/brown tint outside and it is literally raining ash. I have a stomach ache just sitting inside. A 15 minute walk in the 180-200 range gave me an upset stomach. I'd go home but it's just as bad there.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

Top photo is this morning when EPA said it was yellow. This is probably closer to 200. Bottom photo is now. 291. AT my house it is in the 300-500 range (EPA says 229, but the dark purple outline literally says HAZARDOUS) and Purple air says the house is 380+. To put this into perspective the only places I've seen air quality this high/poor is where there is actually a forest fire. No the orange tint is not a camera effect. It's so dirty the sun light is being dimmed. I think today's 600m repeats are called off. TRX too.

https://imgur.com/gallery/45rwzWy

EDIT:

The hill you can kind of make out in the distance is 1 mile away as a bird travels. The 3 or 4 story building in the photo straight ahead is 0.20 miles (321 meters) away. Even in America people can't park straight.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - I've been looking at other marathons, and here's my current short list for a CIM backup - though I'm not seeing a ton I really love. All are within a couple weeks or so one way or another, and are supposed to be quite flat courses with generally favorable marathon weather, and aren't completely tiny. Marathons and some possible cons in no particular order:

Kiawah Island, Dec. 11. Potentially confusing course with a good amount of turns/curves. Potentially not a closed course.

Hilton Head, Nov. 13. Marathon course still pending certification.

Harrisburg, PA, Nov. 14. Certified course, but where the heck is the map??

Coastal Delaware, Nov. 14. Mixed use trail, some crushed gravel.

Tucson, Dec. 04. No closed course. Cheater course. 

Jacksonville, Dec. 12. Florida humidity and Florida Man.

RP - That air quality (or lack thereof, really) is just appalling. Has California not put a prop 65 notice on that yet?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Marky_Mark_17

It is 5 cases now.

The difference with the case a few months ago was that it was NOT community transmission.

Flavio - we have 4 levels:

1 - border restrictions, and masks on public transport

2 - above plus no mass gatherings

3 - above plus schools closed (except for kids of essential workers who have no alternative child care)

4 - above plus most businesses closed (pretty much only pharmacies, supermarkets and petrol stations stay open)

It's not any different.  It could have been community transmission then, or could have resulted in community transmission.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Steve - Story of the pandemic unfortunately. 2.9% decline is not bad if I’m reading this right (though worse in the history of NZ, I’m sure perspective is at play here). Italy tanked like 12%.

Yeah, that I call a light lockdown. I consider a harsh lockdown like in Italy where they closed the industries, pretty much just supermarkets and pharmacies open, schools closed, you could not leave the house unless you had a health emergency or to buy groceries, even then, they’d fine you if they found you in a supermarket that was not the supermarket closest to your home.

Ah, of course you could not leave the house to exercise, they went as far as closing parks.

All for nothing though, that first wave only ended when the respiratory illness season started to end around mid may. The Italians just don't believe in rules 😂

Also mask requirements outdoors is very stupid with the amount of data that we have now showing that like 99% of the transmission happens indoors.

Piwi - that’s annoying, those muscles are all interconnected it’s hard to spot where the pain starts sometimes.

I’m waiting for the video!

Mark - yeah, it’s the inconsistency of the measures and the futility of many of them (Just for show) that irritates me quite a bit.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

watsonc123

Last time it COULD have been community transmission or he got infected in Australia.

This time it was DEFINITELY community transmission.

What has happened in Australia is almost certainly a learning too.  New South Wales have been in roughly our level 3 for months now.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Flavio - What you described is exactly what we have, except we can exercise.  I'm about to run through the domain/reserve/park so will see if they've taped off all the playgrounds again.

2024 Races:

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Interesting. Did they lock park/street benches and cordoned off certain sections of the supermarket so that you can only buy the basic groceries and nothing else?

I remember at the time they forbid Amazon from selling anything other than groceries for a few weeks LOL that didn't go well.

Ok, I agree, you guys have a harsh lockdown. On the bright side it's done after one case not 50 thousand when it's pretty much useless.

And you can run/exercise outdoors.

I mean, if they waited until there are like 300 cases, then they would go even crazier with the measures, so in a way it's better they do it now with just one case.

It's not like you can live like in Florida with the current government you have 😂

Marky_Mark_17

Last time it COULD have been community transmission or he got infected in Australia.

This time it was DEFINITELY community transmission.

So if we are erring on the side of caution, how are those two things any different?

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

Flavio - What you described is exactly what we have, except we can exercise.  I'm about to run through the domain/reserve/park so will see if they've taped off all the playgrounds again.

Water fountain testing at Hobsonville Point will be in progress tomorrow morning for me...

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

Interesting. Did they lock park/street benches and cordoned off certain sections of the supermarket so that you can only buy the basic groceries and nothing else?

I remember at the time they forbid Amazon from selling anything other than groceries for a few weeks LOL that didn't go well.

Ok, I agree, you guys have a harsh lockdown. On the bright side it's done after one case not 50 thousand when it's pretty much useless.

And you can run/exercise outdoors.

I mean, if they waited until there are like 300 cases, then they would go even crazier with the measures, so in a way it's better they do it now with just one case.

It's not like you can live like in Florida with the current government you have 😂

Florida? PFFFF...I WISH my state would lock down at the first Delta case. 18.4% positivity rate and he waiting until we were at 12% (his threshold was 8%) to require masks. NOW he just wants businesses to adopt mandatory vaccine requirements so the people who are unvaccinated can be blamed for ruining the state. 65% of Florida is vaccinated. 48% of Nevada is. I think Florida is doing SOMETHING right. Even WITH a 19% positivity rate.

EDIT: 16 schools have covid 19 outbreaks the first week of school. "nothing to worry about folks. We're not going to go digital again."

VDOT 53.37 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

All this talk and I'm just thinking I'll definitely fly to New Zealand soon after it opens up again. I just want to run on that Tamaki Drive, it seems glorious.

In running news, I've managed a nice workout earlier today, here's to a very boring week!

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Flavio - I'd be keen to run down Tamaki Drive with you.  For inner city running, it's as good as it gets along with the Wellington waterfront (assuming weather etc.)

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Flavio - I'd be keen to run down Tamaki Drive with you.  For inner city running, it's as good as it gets along with the Wellington waterfront (assuming weather etc.)

Much better chance of decent weather than the Wellington waterfront though!  I'll be joining the both of you.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"