Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

It's funny because it's true.

Ha, exactly what I commented on the article.  The money quote:

"Authorities assured the rest of the world that Prime Minister Ardern's move was in no way an overreaction and is completely reasonable in every way. "

2024 Races:

JamesD

JamesD

JMac - I've been looking at other marathons, and here's my current short list for a CIM backup - though I'm not seeing a ton I really love. All are within a couple weeks or so one way or another, and are supposed to be quite flat courses with generally favorable marathon weather, and aren't completely tiny. Marathons and some possible cons in no particular order:

Kiawah Island, Dec. 11. Potentially confusing course with a good amount of turns/curves. Potentially not a closed course.

Hilton Head, Nov. 13. Marathon course still pending certification.

Harrisburg, PA, Nov. 14. Certified course, but where the heck is the map??

Coastal Delaware, Nov. 14. Mixed use trail, some crushed gravel.

Tucson, Dec. 04. No closed course. Cheater course. 

Jacksonville, Dec. 12. Florida humidity and Florida Man.

RP - That air quality (or lack thereof, really) is just appalling. Has California not put a prop 65 notice on that yet?

Keen - Have you looked at Space Coast in Cocoa (maybe Cocoa Beach?), FL on Nov. 28?  Might be a little warm for you, though - average low temp that day is 56 according to my source.  There are others in the southeast that look possible in mid-January, like Charleston, SC, but that's a little late to be a good substitute for CIM.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

This is slightly running related.  Here is a post from my community Facebook page:

"So here we are in a full level 4 lockdown owing to a virus that transmits by human breath and some smurfhead trots by our house this morning and spits on the footpath! Well thanks a bundle matey! Anyone who has walked down Tosswill road today should perhaps clean their shoe soles and wipe their dogs feet"

Because I was worried about a niggle in my calf, I did 4 small laps around the neighbourhood including going down Tosswill Road 4 times...could I be the Smurfhead?  Quite possibly.  Note that any time I spit I check my surroundings carefully, especially downwind.  I don't check for Karen's watching out their window.  One question I have, what is she doing hygiene wise if she's worried about catching the virus (which hasn't been in the South Island for over a year) from the sole's of someone's shoes or from a dog's foot???

2024 Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

Is Australia’s government really vaccinating 24,000 kids in a stadium without allowing parents access?

Keen Tucson doesn’t look like it has a pace group for 3:00 if you thought about riding their coat tails.

harrisburg map?

http://ymcarun.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/2020-Marathon-Turn-by-Turn-Map.pdf

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Marby

Ash

Is Australia’s government really vaccinating 24,000 kids in a stadium without allowing parents access?

Yes, no carer unless they have a special requirement. The 'kids' are in their final year of high school, 17 & 18 year olds. They be packed together for final exams before too long. The controversy is not having the stock to do it sooner.

Next: Ballarat, April 28, Pacing 3:50

Best: 5k 19:46 (Parkrun, 2016), 10k 40:37 (Track, 2022), Half 1:26:41 (2016), Full 3:00:23 (2021)

Marby

Ash

Next: Ballarat, April 28, Pacing 3:50

Best: 5k 19:46 (Parkrun, 2016), 10k 40:37 (Track, 2022), Half 1:26:41 (2016), Full 3:00:23 (2021)

Marky_Mark_17

This is slightly running related.  Here is a post from my community Facebook page:

"So here we are in a full level 4 lockdown owing to a virus that transmits by human breath and some smurfhead trots by our house this morning and spits on the footpath! Well thanks a bundle matey! Anyone who has walked down Tosswill road today should perhaps clean their shoe soles and wipe their dogs feet"

Because I was worried about a niggle in my calf, I did 4 small laps around the neighbourhood including going down Tosswill Road 4 times...could I be the Smurfhead?  Quite possibly.  Note that any time I spit I check my surroundings carefully, especially downwind.  I don't check for Karen's watching out their window.  One question I have, what is she doing hygiene wise if she's worried about catching the virus (which hasn't been in the South Island for over a year) from the sole's of someone's shoes or from a dog's foot???

If someone is that paranoid about the whole scenario then surely the solution is, just don't go outside, for anything, ever.  No doubt the same person was probably out in public yesterday not even thinking about the fact that they could catch all sorts of things other than Covid.

At least common sense has prevailed and the new mask requirements are only when you are in a supermarket.  It does seem though that every time we go into a lockdown there's a new, extra restriction.

At least I was able to book my vaccinations today (although they aren't until Oct/Nov).

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

I rebooked mine Mark early Sept for the first shot.

Steve you do match the description 😂 I still occasionally spit but try to be discreet.

Thank goodness supermarkets sell beer.

My 15 yr old has been taking me through some upper body weights in the garage. I might go the Ryan Hall route 🤔

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Running Problem

Problem Child

If someone is that paranoid about the whole scenario then surely the solution is, just don't go outside, for anything, ever.  No doubt the same person was probably out in public yesterday not even thinking about the fact that they could catch all sorts of things other than Covid.

At least common sense has prevailed and the new mask requirements are only when you are in a supermarket.  It does seem though that every time we go into a lockdown there's a new, extra restriction.

At least I was able to book my vaccinations today (although they aren't until Oct/Nov).

Why just supermarkets? Are other businesses closed?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Marky_Mark_17

Why just supermarkets? Are other businesses closed?

Everything except supermarkets, pharmacies, gas stations and dairies (corner stores).  Have to wear a mask if you're in those.  Everything else is shut.

The definition of lockdown seems to vary a lot from country to country, I think our level 4 lockdown is generally regarded as being at the tougher end of the scale.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

darkwave

Mother of Cats

JMac - I've been looking at other marathons, and here's my current short list for a CIM backup - though I'm not seeing a ton I really love. All are within a couple weeks or so one way or another, and are supposed to be quite flat courses with generally favorable marathon weather, and aren't completely tiny. Marathons and some possible cons in no particular order:

Kiawah Island, Dec. 11. Potentially confusing course with a good amount of turns/curves. Potentially not a closed course.

RP - That air quality (or lack thereof, really) is just appalling. Has California not put a prop 65 notice on that yet?

So...I would make sure your list included:

Harrisburg (which you have)

White RIver for Kenya (didn't you point that out to me?)

Lousiana (in January)

The first two marathons went as planned last fall; the third was delayed until March but still went.  All 3 are on my list of less likely to be cancelled.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Sounds exactly like the dialogues we had my area of the US last year.  Much social media hostility against outside runners, as our heavy exhalations were spreading virus everywhere.  One guy on my local social media referenced concealed carry (the right some have in the US to carry a firearm underneath clothing) as a possible solution to outside runners....

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Keen Concerning Kiawah Island, this is the Marathon I qualified for Boston, while it does have a lot of turns I never felt confused or like I didn't know where to go next.  It is a relatively small race and well organized, and although it is not 100% closed there is very little traffic (I may have seen 3 or 4 cars) through the island neighborhoods and there are lots of people out cheering you on too.

The biggest advice with Kiawah is to Stay on the Island do not attempt to stay off Island and travel in the morning of the race.  One way on and off the island and traffic gets backed up.  You park in a field and they bus you to the start line. If you do stay off island plan on arriving in time to catch the earliest bus.   You may have to sit a while and wait for the start but you won't risk arriving late to the start either.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)