Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

zebano

Florida? PFFFF...I WISH my state would lock down at the first Delta case. 18.4% positivity rate and he waiting until we were at 12% (his threshold was 8%) to require masks. NOW he just wants businesses to adopt mandatory vaccine requirements so the people who are unvaccinated can be blamed for ruining the state. 65% of Florida is vaccinated. 48% of Nevada is. I think Florida is doing SOMETHING right. Even WITH a 19% positivity rate.

EDIT: 16 schools have covid 19 outbreaks the first week of school. "nothing to worry about folks. We're not going to go digital again."

Florida is doing something right?? Oye ve. Being so close to California has got to be frustrating. We've had a few bad AQI days, but mostly we just hit 50-150 a couple times a week which is something I can ignore as my asthma is well regulated.

The school thing is totally totally predictable and has Mrs. Z completely on edge (our schools start next week). We have 2 kids vaccinated and 2 who aren't. We're thinking of keeping the 2 who aren't home for the first 2 months while the outbreak sweeps through the school system. I just don't have any confidence they wouldn't get it when they went back to school after those 2 months.

Keen Go with the cheater course!! I want to see you run sub 2:45

Flavio / World Traveler Have fun in New Zealand!

Mark Make sure to schedule the vaccinates sufficiently far from any potential race days. Yes, your lockdowns are much stricter than anything we had in the U.S. Midwest.

Piwi I eagerly await Ryan Hall's response when you post your 60KG deadlift / 6 min mile. 

DW I am completely not surprised by the concealed carry response. My wife works at a pre-school. One neighbor got really really pissed off because people were turning around in his driveway after picking up kids (to be fair it's totally unnecessary) and came out and screamed that he was within his rights to shoot the next person who used his driveway.  Then he threatened the teachers, the police got involved and it was a right mess. Thankfully no further incidents have occurred with that neighbor.

I bombed my tempo run yesterday at least with regard to the pace coach wanted me to run (wanted a 21min 5k, I ran 22). We had a chat and I'm going back to the 2Q type schedule next week which I think is better given how slowly I seem to recover these days (note that I haven't lifted since last Thursday so that's not a factor)

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

James - I kinda/sorta looked at that one, but that temp and the humidity I'd expect from Florida are less than ideal. I kinda expect Kiawah and Hilton Head, which are both on islands, to have similar humidity issues, though the temps tend to be lower.
      Dallas actually falls into the time range I'm considering, but fork Dallas. It's fairly hilly, and I had a horrendous time there in 2019 because 1) I got hit with a stomach bug mid-race without knowing it until afterwards, and 2) it was uncharacteristically warm and humid for the season.
      Out of that list I put out Tucson is actually sounding like the best option to me, though I'd rather not run something quite so downhill.

Steve - What's a Smurfhead (do I want to know?)? From that Bee article, what are "yonks" and "wop-wops"?

RP - I don't think I'd be following a pace group outside of the first couple miles to keep from going too fast. It looks like Beast Pacing was at Tucson the last year it was ran. And it looks like they're at at least one of the other marathons on my potential backup list.

DWave - I'm not sure how I didn't think of or even see White River during my initial search (this is where my PR is from). It looks like they've redone the course and instead of a big downhill to start and very flat the rest of the way they've included some hills - including a pretty massive one (basically the opposite of the one to start the race) that is at the very end of the race.

CFarr - Thanks for the info about Kiawah! Having just light traffic wouldn't be a bother to me - my favorite HM and my PR marathon are both on courses that aren't closed but usually have little traffic.

Zebano - I actually am thinking about the cheater course as a first backup - one major reason is that it's the same weekend as CIM, so the only real change in plans would be destination. I need to have a chat with my coach regarding this.
      The people in your (and DWave's) firearm-related stories are quite unreasonable people. There's exactly nowhere in the US where it would be even remotely legal or within someone's rights to shoot a person just for turning around in their driveway...

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I rebooked mine Mark early Sept for the first shot.

Steve you do match the description 😂 I still occasionally spit but try to be discreet.

Thank goodness supermarkets sell beer.

My 15 yr old has been taking me through some upper body weights in the garage. I might go the Ryan Hall route 🤔

Are deadlifts part of your routine? I bought a shrug bar which I’m finding much better and easier on the back.

Steve - That smurfhead post was hilarious. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey yes they are but you need good form for these ie straight back. I naturally have a rounded back so have to work hard to keep it straight. I should get some proper tuition sometime.

Zeb I forgot you have 4 kids. Must be tough not knowing whether to send them back to school or not. When can you get the youngest 2 vaccinated ?

I enjoyed feeling my upper body get pumped up yesterday. Re awakening my biceps etc 😃

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

darkwave - Not that I want to start an argument on this, but I think threatening to shoot people should lead to at least temporarily losing your concealed carry license.

Keen - "Yonks" = a long time.  "I haven't done a race in yonks".

"Wops wops" = "in the middle of nowhere".  "Mark's last race was in the wop wops"

"Smurf-head" = Unknown until yesterday.  I now know it is used by upper middle aged Karen's to insult people doing things which has zero chance of impacting them.

Personally, I use much better English than this...

Mark - Your strategy of planning a ton of races looks to be a good one.  You should at least get some of them.  At the moment I think Dunedin in 3 weeks is 50-50.  It wouldn't run at Level 2 or higher.  That Sri Chinmoy I did last year is on the same day and would run at Level 2 but I doubt I would enter.  I discussed it with my coach and he pointed out just how negative everything I said about it was.

Florida - Definitely my favoured destination in terms of how it is run.  But this place would collapse under the weight of my weather complaining.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Running Problem

Problem Child

I didn't think we had a "right" to carry concealed. I thoguht it was always "permission" and part of getting permission was getting some kind of license, a government FBI/CIA/DEA type backgroudn check, interviews with local police, training and testing requirements and then you get a license for like a year or something. I know california only lets you have it for a year and that's AFTER you have an interview explaining why you wanted it. For DECADES the reality was you had to be a celebrity or government official to get it. Perhaps I'm out of the loop.

smoke was better today. It tried at 4:00am but I could SEE ash falling out of the sky. The reports were saying 100ish but when I'm seeing why stuff falling out of the sky I figured it wasn't the best time to be running. It worked out for the best because the air cleared up to under 100 (haven't see THAT in a very long time) and just hammered out an 8x600m. Pretty sure they were 2:18-2:20 (2:21 goal) along a multi use running path with a tailwind/headwind. The wind was probably more mental than actual cause of speeding up/slowing down. It probably worked more to keep me from starting too fast. I was REALLY afraid of this workout just because I haven't been running at all and it seems I don't do well with an extended period off from running hard workouts. I might try the tempo run on Friday to keep with the scheduled plans. It would make the Saturday long run less than enjoyable, but I gotta do what I gotta do.

Zeb yeah the smoke sucks. A buddy has been running in it when the numbers are above 150. Today it is 120-130 and he's saying his eyes and throat don't agree with the numbers. I really think it is because he's been out there for two or three weeks breathing it on walks and runs even with a mask, and now it's slowly caused enough damage to not be worth the miles he got in or the "I just gotta get out of this place" walk with an N95ish mask on.

As for Florida, a "family member" by marriage has come down with the Covid and is old. He's more upset about being sick than he is about having the Covid.

Keen Cheater International Marathon is the same weekend as another Cheater Marathon? INNNNNNNNteresting. The two lap marathon seemed like it would be small when they said you could park at the start/finish on an island. I wonder if you'd run into (pun not intended)to  much slower marathon traffic on a 2 lap course like I did at Mt. Charleston going all downhill where they had a 13 mile head start. Perhaps not since you'd crossing halfway when they're probably 6-8 miles into the half.

I foudn out New Zealand has three official (is that the correct word?) languages. Sign language was adopted mid 2,000s. I think it is cool.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Keen - Update!  I've found out from someone older that "smurf" is (or was) often used as a replacement swear word, like "bleep".  Smurf head makes more sense now, especially given her age.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

RP I don't know much sign language, mostly use this one

Marky_Mark_17

Zebano - heh I was able to book my 2 vaccination slots, both several days AFTER scheduled races, so that is looking pretty good assuming the schedule holds.  Sucks for you guys on the air quality thing, that is just not a factor here in NZ, apart from that one time when someone accidentally set a skyscraper roof on fire when they went on their break and left a blowtorch on.

Steve - yeah I'd say Dunedin is a better shot than races in my area.  You might get lucky if there are no South Island cases and restrictions are eased more quickly there.  I'm expecting National Road Champs (Sun 5 in Hamilton) to get rescheduled, probably to November.

DW - yeah I just don't get the gun culture in the US at all.  There are a ton of legitimate reasons people might want to own guns but a lot of the US gun culture seems more based on ideology than logic.  Someone will probably yell at me for saying that.

Good times in our house as our daughter has a pretty nasty stomach bug.  Just what you want to be locked inside with.  Hoping I can avoid it.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

The Smurf family are lovable people and I think Steve (aka smurfhead) is a decent guy.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

zebano

DW - yeah I just don't get the gun culture in the US at all.  There are a ton of legitimate reasons people might want to own guns but a lot of the US gun culture seems more based on ideology than logic.  Someone will probably yell at me for saying that.

Yup that seems accurate. That said, it also feels like it's overblown to the rest of the world. For instance I'm in Iowa which recently changed their laws so anyone 21 or older without a conviction can basically own a gun and open carry or concealed carry without a permit (prior to this year a permit was required for concealed carry). While you get a few assholes like the guy with his driveway the only times I actually see a gun are when a police officer is walking around (holstered). I frankly don't like how easy they are to obtain here but were I to run for political office, it's certainly not something that would rate enough attention to be part of my platform.

Piwi

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Mark: Best of luck with the stomach bug. Since all your races are being canceled I'd say you have better luck than Keen with sick kids during a training cycle. Gun culture in the US seems to mirror tattoo culture. The only people who care/have a problem about your tattoos are the people without tattoos.

NZ seems to be immune to earthquakes AND poor air quality. Do you get hurricanes? Lots of annoying tourists? What was that tree people use to make animals, or was that the other way around?

zeb: Truthfully, the 1996 Oklahoma City bombing didn't even us a gun and the same chemicals (Nitromethane is a racing gas and fertilizer is available everywhere) can be purchased along with a delivery truck without a background check which is scarier. We've all seen what pressure cookers can do. Thanksgiving day, downtown Reno, with a BAC of 0.162 behind the wheel of a car six people were killed. Downtown Reno still sells alcohol and allows cars. Guns scared me until I learned about everything else in the world capable of causing comparable damage. I actually thought the comment about spitting on the sidewalk was encouraging runners to carry firearms to protect themselves from crazy neighbors. "dude don't spit here. They'll probably chase us down with a car for spreading covid. we need to protect ourselves." Not a "keep your guns out in case runners come by. This will stop them from spitting" comment. I love NOT being part of social media and just sticking to the COVID 19 thread.

Steve Interesting terms. "yonks I didn't know I was in the wops wops with a bunch of smurf heads. I just wanted to get my long run done before dinner." Is that correct?

To compare it...

y'all - both of you/three people

all y'all - the whole group of you.

"hella" (California) - a lot. "that's HELLA cool" or "this is HELLA sick." or "Mark's race times are HELLA fast."

Tucson I'm contemplating, like Keen planning this as a back up. Being so close to California, and still proudly labeling myself as a Californian, I'm really 50/50 on the possibility of CIM happening. Since Tucson is the same weekend and probably a direct flight it would be my first choice.

Piwi: That time my online friend gave me half a piece sign.

I am on another board where the  has one of these “half piece signs” in the left and right. It’s really funny to send to friends with an iPhone using the “invisible ink” feature. 
                          I actually met a deaf kid when I was in elementary school. He was really fun to hang out with. Probably the number one reason I wanted to learn sign language. When we would talk to parents on the phone he always wanted to see our faces and ask who it was.

RP I don't know much sign language, mostly use this one

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Mark: Best of luck with the stomach bug. Since all your races are being canceled I'd say you have better luck than Keen with sick kids during a training cycle. Gun culture in the US seems to mirror tattoo culture. The only people who care/have a problem about your tattoos are the people without tattoos.

NZ seems to be immune to earthquakes AND poor air quality. Do you get hurricanes? Lots of annoying tourists? What was that tree people use to make animals, or was that the other way around?

*snip*

Not any more! 

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Keen you got the snip ? I consider you gender neutral now .

I'm not a gun fan. They freak me out. I've shot one a couple of times on farms at Rabbits or Possums.

I think murder rates by guns is probably a good indicator of their danger for the general public.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Keen you got the snip ? I consider you gender neutral now .

I'm not a gun fan. They freak me out. I've shot one a couple of times on farms at Rabbits or Possums.

I think murder rates by guns is probably a good indicator of their danger for the general public.

https://vpc.org/regulating-the-gun-industry/gun-deaths-compared-to-motor-vehicle-deaths/

Cars are still pretty dangerous. Unsure if this website is reliable or not. Thankfully we don't have many regulations about owning a vehicle. 

VDOT 53.37