Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Keen you got the snip ? I consider you gender neutral now .

I'm not a gun fan. They freak me out. I've shot one a couple of times on farms at Rabbits or Possums.

I think murder rates by guns is probably a good indicator of their danger for the general public.

That would be a great way to instantly up the age grade of my PRs!

I think those murder rates are a better indicator of the danger posed to the general public by the general public.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

RP yeah cars are very dangerous. My van has no engine in front of me so not good in a head on collision. I don't think you guys have that type over there ?

Keen there were people calling me Andrea after I got the snip 

A Valium tablet and shot of whiskey at 9am on a Friday morning sure was a good way to start the day 😀

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

darkwave

Mother of Cats

That would be a great way to instantly up the age grade of my PRs!

It's definitely the way to go, if an option.  My BQ time is 3:50. Read it and weep.

RP yeah cars are very dangerous. My van has no engine in front of me so not good in a head on collision. I don't think you guys have that type over there ?

Wasn't that the Ford Pinto?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Marky_Mark_17

I have this image in my head now of you pedalling your van like Fred Flintstone.

Probably good cardio training tbh.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Just trying to save the environment Mark and build up my calves 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

RP - A valiant attempt but "yonks" means "for a long time".

"piwi won't be at his next job for yonks because he has to pedal that thing"

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

It's definitely the way to go, if an option.  My BQ time is 3:50. Read it and weep.

I did get a chuckle out of this.

3:50.... Are there any marathons that run past a tea room that doesn't have a dress code? A mid-race stop for tea and scones would be amazing.

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

I have this image in my head now of you pedalling your van like Fred Flintstone.

Probably good cardio training tbh.

Replace van with 1989 jeep cherokee and you got it pretty much nailed. Somehow stuff rusts in the high desert. Probably the snow.

Piwi rear engine vehicles scare Americans. I think they're concerned with their groceries getting smashed when the person ahead brake checks them for driving too close. I think the mid engine corvette disgusted every corvette appreciator. Oh and when my brother went for his snip he apparently showed up a week early. drugged up ready to go. He kind of laughs about the whole thing because he told the front office "no WAY I messed up THIS appointment." *checks calendar* ****.

Steve yonks...duration. comprehended. "Dude I ain't heard someone say 'hella' in YONKS." Next someone can explain what "wicked pissah" means.

NOT fun times on an attempted tempo yesterday. Goal was 6 miles. I set a pace of 7:00/mi and it felt manageable for 3 miles, and the chest started hurting in mile 4. When I say a 7:25/mi pace I pulled the plug because I'd be setting myself up for a long uncomfortable jog home and the point wasn't to suffer. Heart rate was LOCKED on 170 so I kept going until it became too uncomfortable to run. It could have been a few things:

1. I'm not in 7:00/mi tempo shape. (19:10 5k, 3:03 Marathon)
                  2. I was still sore from Wednesday TRX/Intervals
                  3. I'm training for where I want to be and not where I am at.

I'm going to try a 7:10/mi tempo next week and see how it goes. It was the first tempo run of the training plan and I had to guess (ignore facts) of where to start. The legs didn't feel tired. It was the chest. It just wasn't comfortable. During the recovery jog home (including walking breaks to lower the heart rate) any time I'd try anything resembling running the heart rate went straight to 170 and locked in. Either I'm this far out of shape, or something was going on with the optical HR monitor. An easy jog felt much different than a 7:00/mi for the heart rate; however the heart rate monitor always said 170. It might have been higher for the workout and I had it positioned wrong. Way too many variables. I decided to try out the hard workout and the downside is I think the only thing I learned is a rest day between them works better for me with this plan. The way it is structured. imagine that.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

RP is your air quality ok now ? Perhaps that was a factor.

I've rebooked my covid jab for September 3rd. They only stopped vaccines for one day which was the day I booked previously. I hope that isn't some sort of sign 😬

We are in level 4 till at least next Tuesday. Probably longer as the delta variant is here now.

Running is one thing we can do so I doubled yesterday.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Piwi the day I did the workout it was actually a blue sky. Today it is starting to LOOK like it will get worse. It all depends on the wind. I don't think the air quality the day I did the workout caused the discomfort. I wouldn't have run the workout if it was bad air. I was actually excited to have a day where I could see where I was at for endurance/marathon fitness IN training and maybe bit off more than I can chew with pace and double workout days.

Where I'm at, I see people commenting on your "lockdown" in various levels. some think you're overreacting because ONE case of Delta made it through. Others seem to think it's a standard all should follow. I even saw one headline where your PM declared the country COVID free. I think your level 4 is our "lockdown 2020" so it's interesting to hear it from the "locals" about how it's working.

1629439180453.png

It's getting so bad you have to show your ID to prove YOU are actually the one who is vaccinated..

https://nationworldnews.com/new-york-city-begins-requiring-proof-of-covid-19-vaccination-photo-id-in-restaurants-and-gyms/

All so there isn't a need to go back to "sanctions." I'd rather just stay home and stay safe than have to show my ID to support a local business.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

RP - 170 is high.  Any time I hit that threshold, it's a matter of time until I can't hold the pace anymore.  I'll bite my tongue about a picture of that person appearing in this thread...

Races - I've already started thinking about what I can do if Dunedin is cancelled.  At the moment I think it's 50-50 of going ahead.  My partner thinks it's 1-99.  Best case scenario (for the South Island) has us dropping to level 3 restrictions for a week from Wednesday, then level 2 for a week after that.  That brings us to level 1 4 days before the race, which means it can run.  One case in the South Island will blow that best case scenario.  It's also possible that the race won't accept that level of uncertainty and call it early.  I haven't entered yet - the cut off for the next price rise is Monday night.  I guess I could delay and pay an extra $15 if it does go ahead but I think I'll enter to support the organisers and accept that 2022 may already be planned out for me with deferred entries for Wellington and Dunedin.

I know there's not much point getting ahead of myself, but there's not much else to do!  Especially on the weekend.  The Sri Chinmoy race in Hagley Park is on the same day as Dunedin and would run at level 2.  It's not a certified course though, and with the low numbers is basically just 9 laps of running by myself.  I cringe even thinking about it and mentioned it to my coach on Tuesday who said not to enter it just for the sake of it.  The problem is, that only leaves Queenstown for this year, and that won't be a PR attempt.  Given it's my biggest and best training year ever, it's extremely disappointing not to have a PR attempt race.  There is the Selwyn Running Festival in November.  It was 3 weeks before Queenstown but yesterday it got rescheduled to a week later to avoid a clash.  2 weeks before Queenstown is too close I think - I know I could run Quuenstown as an easy training run but I want to have a good race there.

Maybe Dunedin will happen and those 2 paragraphs of angst will have been unnecessary 

I'm starting to regret deciding to play some indoor cricket which meant I didn't enter the South Island Half-Marathon on August 1. That would be a PR potential course, it went ahead, and I chose not to do it.  Perhaps a lesson to take any chance you get at the moment.

2024 Races:

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Steve - Fingers crossed for Dunedin (and all those other races for everyone else).
                          If it comes to it and all your races are cancelled, what are the odds of you being able to run a solo TT on a certified course? Or would you want to? I know it's certainly far from ideal, but at least you'd have something to show for your hard work.

I went ahead and booked a room for the marathon in Tucson. It's more downhill than I'd like, but as it's the same weekend as CIM (just a day earlier) there wouldn't really be any adjustments to my training plan if CIM didn't go. Just like my room for CIM, I can cancel that without any charges up until just a couple days before check-in so there's no money actually on the line.
                          Though I'm also thinking if I should go full-DWave and get a backup for my backup...

Upcoming Races:

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Keen - Nice planning there.  Without knowing anything, I feel like surely CIM will go ahead.

Solo TT...I don't know.  I did it once and had a tough day.  It's hard to contemplate doing that again.  I also was planning a road trip to Dunedin 2 weeks after the race for the All Blacks vs Springboks test match which would have been awesome and a flashback to my 20s of pub crawling either down to Dunedin or up to Christchurch.  But that was cancelled yesterday.  Luckily all my accommodation is free cancellation.  Frustration levels building!

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Keen - I had three backups planned last year, just in case.  Admittedly I just had to get the marathon done, and I only ended up needing the first backup when I couldn't do Rotorua Marathon.

Steve - I think there's a chance the South Island is all clear in which case Dunedin is still a definite chance.  But that will depend on how the next few days play out.  There's still 3 weeks until race day which is a long time.  I think you're right to rule out the Sri Chinmoy race based on your past experience and TT's should be a last resort option only.  Anyways I'm definitely of the mindset of jumping on races where the opportunity arises at the moment.

I think there's practically no chance National Road Champs will go ahead in 2 weeks (will probably get rescheduled to Oct or Nov), but still a chance National HM Champs happens in 4 weeks depending how things go.

If Dunedin doesn't happen, you might want to look at Nelson Half, which I'm (hopefully!!!!) doing in early November.  Flat course, looks like nice running, decent size race but not massive numbers.  If we're not in the clear by then we've got bigger problems.  Auckland is the weekend earlier but it's not that fast a course for the half tbh.

Also +1 for free cancellation on the accommodation.  That's like the first filter I put on my Airbnb searches these days...

RP - bummer about that tempo but it definitely sounds like a weird lock-on with the HRM.  Some of the Garmin's used to have a cadence lock issue where the HRM would somehow end up getting confused and lock on to cadence instead.   Even my relatively new Fenix 6 occasionally gets weird blips if I've got it too loose.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Yeah I'm still more optimistic than my partner.  The problem is that even best case scenario, dear leader has already said we will go down through the levels one at a time.  So assuming a week at each, it is tight.

Nelson half is the same day as the Selwyn Running Festival so I would probably do that one if I did a race that weekend but it's too close to Queenstown.

2024 Races: