Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Mick: it's about $100+ for a lift ticket. 25% capacity, and it depends on the weather. I grew up going to Bear Valley which is a smaller resort. Tahoe has a lot of nice place (Alpine Meadows, Heavenly, Kirkwood, Northstar) and typically nice weather. Heavenly has a run where you can get some good photos of Lake Tahoe. There are Double black diamonds like KT 22 at Squaw (they hosted the Olympics once) and The Wall at Kirkwood. There are also PLENTY of "average joe" runs. *CAUTION* linked videos show people not socially distancing, not wearing masks, and companies not operating at a reduced capacity due to existing prior to covid ninteen.

Apparently Keen tries to get to your Strava before you can come up with a title. Fun little fact I forgot about.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

runethechamp

KT-22, quite possibly the best ski lift in the world.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Running Problem

Problem Child

Rune You spelled "Gondola ride at Heavenly" really weird.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

runethechamp

RP - Haha, for a second I actually thought you were serious, but that's a good one 

Getting back into it

Marky_Mark_17

I'm jealous Rune, being within driving distance of those resorts would be awesome.  We've spent a bit of time in Colorado and BC, I liked Copper Mountain in CO but I'd have to say Sun Peaks, BC, was by far my favourite overall.  Great resort with a huge variety of terrain, also has the advantage of being pretty quiet and nowhere near as busy as places like Whistler, Tahoe and many of the CO resorts.  I'll leave the double blacks and hardcore cliff jumping to the people that can do it without injuring themselves, but I do enjoy a lot of the gladed tree runs.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

RP & Rune: Ok I am convinced and gotta go one day. Next time I go to spend Christmas in the bay area probably. But freaking $209 for a regular day pass and I assume its before tax like everything in the US. WTF. I mean here in the Alps the snow might taste different but a day pass barely ever runs at more than 100bucks. You guys must all be working for Facebook or Google and drive Teslas. Sun Peaks looks much more reasonable at CA$109 (also made it on my bucket list)!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

zebano

Flavio - When you called me out on strava, I thought you were commenting on one of my easy runs and thought wow, that's super harsh. I did some broad jumps yesterday, but didn't measure them as my 13 year old out jumped me =(

MRakers that's an excellent year, I hope the Indy mini happens.

RP  I love that race idea. I'll have to see if my local club will implement it. Do the time trial, they're fun, I promise.

Rune It sounds like you're in better aerobic shape than neuromuscular. That's awesome as it's much easier to fix leg strength in my opinion. It's funny you mention skiing and the tiny jumps as I was thinking about a trip my brothers and I took to Colorado. We went downhill mountain biking at Breckenridge but after a couple runs lightning ruined our fun. Thankfully they had a course at the bottom we could still ride and we did jumps which felt huge but were quite tiny. Then I went off the big jump, got some actual air and lets just say landed really funny and ended up in the fetal position. Anyways, I hope the hammy lets you get back to both running and skiing soon.

Piwi  It's not my fault you Kiwi's don't know what day it is Wink

In other news, single digits with below 0 windchills have arrived and I am not looking forward to it.

For what little it's worth, Alta in Utah is the best ski resort I've ever skied at.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Hi Zeb - Alta made it on my bucket list! But have you ever skied in Canada? What do you compare Alta to? I have heard a lot of good things about Canada, and BC in particular (besides Mark's comments). Also, the color code in the US is a bit different from ours. I only see black and blue in Alta. How technical is it there i.e. are the black runs really technically challenging? We split it into blue, red and black, with our red being your black and our black being your diamond shape but not sure if this is really how it is.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

All you people and your talk of fancy ski resorts! The nearest one to me is ~ a 12 hour drive west.

Whooooooo! Awesome workout today, and I think I had something of a fitness breakthrough mid-workout. Lacked some motivation this morning, and almost decided to run on the treadmill because I didn't want to deal with the reported wind (weak sauce, I know, and the wind wasn't even there). Made it outside anyway for one of my 1k at ~10k effort sessions. Repeats 1-3 felt about usual for the effort, but #4 was just plain awesome. The effort felt a bit too easy so checked my watch and watts from Stryd were actually a good deal above what I wanted (~320 instead of ~310, which is quite an increase). I tried easing up a bit for #s 5 & 6, but the last 3 all felt easier than the first 3, despite all being faster.

My watch reported an increase in VO2Max after this one, and while I don't put much of any stock in that specific number, it just interests me that whenever I have a workout like this that number always goes up.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

zebano

Mick -- I compare it Breckenridge and a bunch of midwest ski places that don't compare at all. This was also 22 years ago that I was there so my suggestion probably shouldn't carry any weight. I have never skied in Canada.

Keen Congratulations that feeling that your old paces just became too easy is awesome.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Yeah stop all this ski talk....let's talk surfing 🏄‍♂️

Keen awesome job on the intervals. Very encouraging for you.

Did my run this morning alongside a big half Ironman triathlon. Lots of money in flash bikes 🚲 out there.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Piwi - No surfing available around here, except for a couple weeks of wind surfing local lakes in the spring and fall when those conditions are favorable.

I'm sure there were a bunch of spendy bikes. The dirt/gravel road 50k I did last spring was put on by a bike shop (foot race was an offshoot of a 100 mile gravel bike race). The first bike they had on display when you walked in was ~$14,000USD. Of course they assumed you would also buy your own favorite pedals for it, too...

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

runethechamp

Mark - Yes, it's pretty cool to be that close to the mountains and still live at a place where it never really gets cold. Can't complain. A buddy of mine has skied a bunch in NZ so you must have some good resorts there as well?

Mick - Yes, skiing has never been cheap here. Earlier I always had a season pass somewhere, or was part of some sort of discount ticket program, so I can't even remember ever paying full price. And I tend to stay away from the holidays because of crowds and ticket prices then.

Zeb - I was thinking along the same line with respect to aerobic vs neuromuscular shape. Let's see how things progress. And yes, the size of the jump thing definitely applies to skiing as well! I've only done one sizeable jump in my life, and it's a long time ago, and I totally crashed the landing (and the snow was soft so it was no problem). Luckily I have a picture too.

Keen - I love those workouts. I haven't had one in a while but found a couple in my Strava archive to reminisce and it's such an amazing feeling when everything seems to click!

Piwi - One of my big regrets is that I didn't take the effort or time to learn how to surf when I moved here. Granted, the more local surf spots are not easy ones to get started on.

Getting back into it

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Just popping in to say we are staying in Vail for the entire month of March since work-at-home is allowing us to be wherever we want. Not great for my return to running, but this feels like a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Very excited 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Just popping in to say we are staying in Vail for the entire month of March since work-at-home is allowing us to be wherever we want. Not great for my return to running, but this feels like a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Very excited 

Way to follow the path of the Californians who want to travel. Can't imagine why COVID 19 can't stop spreading when people just haven't stayed home and stayed safe. Oh wait....we have a vaccine now. Feel free to move about the country.

VDOT 53.37