Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

zebano

Kyle Sorry about the sickness but glad you recovered so quickly. Your down weeks are nearly 70 miles!!

If you have time I have a few more edits for the front page

Robins roundup: 19:38 (~100m short, 90F and humid, major success!)

Palo Fun Days 5k can be removed or marked DNS as I went camping with my kids rather than run it.

Blazing 5k should be removed I will run PCTR instead (same day).

Hillbilly Hike should be removed. I was only considering it because my rival is running it but I've no real interest other than that.

Living History Farms is officially November 20th!!!! WOOT WOOT.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I didn't feel uncomfortable at all during the race.

A phrase nobody has ever said during a mile race. Seriously though, nice job. As someone who recently ran a mile for the first time since high school, it's an impossible distance to get right without a lot of practice. You just don't realize how hard you really have to push it in lap 2 and 3. It feels like an all out sprint because we're used to half marathons and fulls.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Watson nice shoes. That new women's half marathon time is amazing.

Zeb nice week. What race and time trial are you doing ?

Keen thats a very nice down week. Hope you get over that bug soon.

Flavio downhill at the start at least allows you to warmup before the uphill at the end. Are you planning a trip to Nazare to watch surfing 🏄‍♀️  ?

Darkwave very nice week and thanks for all the conversions.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

watsonc123

Keen - fine week, as always. I got the v1.

Zebano - nice week also.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

darkwave

Mother of Cats

A phrase nobody has ever said during a mile race. Seriously though, nice job. As someone who recently ran a mile for the first time since high school, it's an impossible distance to get right without a lot of practice. You just don't realize how hard you really have to push it in lap 2 and 3. It feels like an all out sprint because we're used to half marathons and fulls.

I think inexperienced milers also tend to go out TOO hard in the first quarter.  Which explains why they fade in the second and third quarters.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Piwi excellent work out, capped off a great week!

Watson hope you get to feeling better soon, nice shoes

Mark nice week bummer on the cover situation and having everything looked down.  their are really not a lot of road miles around here either I wish there were they are fun.

Steve nice week also bummer about the lockdown situation hope everything works out for Wellington.

Flavio nice week glad to hear you are on the upswing! I just got the RC elites and wanted to race in them I do have a pair of flats that may have been a better choice.

DW nice week glad your bloodworm came back with good results

James nice week and yes it is always good to run with my son I don't get to see him much so I enjoy the time we get

Zebano not sure I'll do TT depends I do feel like I left some time on the table but really was just trying to run a consistent race didn't think i'd do well enough to break 6min.  I'll have to see the next few weeks are gong to be busy really through the end of the year.  Nice week too

Keen nice week despite catching a bug hope you feel better soon.

Jmac yes seems odd but true I wasn't struggle to breath and legs felt strong I think I could have pushed myself just a bit more in the 2 and 3rd quarter maybe taken a few seconds off.  but I'm happy as I had no expectation going in other than to run a consistent race.

Have a good week everyone

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

Marky_Mark_17

Zebano - nice week.  I only really did quality in my LR's when I was training for the marathon last year.  Normally I run them on Sundays, after doing a track session on Saturday, so my legs aren't really up for efforts within the LR.

Watson - keen to hear what you think of the Saucony Endorphins.  I have heard pretty good things and am a big Saucony fan in general, but haven't tried those.

Keen - impressive mileage despite the fact you weren't feeling great.  Hope you are feeling better now.

Flavio - I'm amazed / impressed how light you can travel.  You would laugh so much at the amount of crap we take when we go on holiday with our 4 year old (and we're not even the worst... my father in law brings an unimaginable amount of crap!).

Steve - that's a nuts workout that Oska did.  Personally though, I'm not sure I really see the point.  Big risk of injury and big recovery time required after that... for what?  Unless he was planning on doing Dunedin Marathon and figured he may as well attempt a race-type effort given that got postponed.

Vaccinations - had my first last night (Pfizer is the brand of choice in NZ).  There are some big mass vaccination centres in Auckland that are mostly for those with appointments but have been taking walk-ups too so my wife and I took our chances last night (successfully).  Very well-run and efficient, from the time we walked in to the time we left was less than half an hour and most of that was sitting around for 15 minutes after the vaccination to make sure we hadn't started saying "BRRAAAAAIIINNNSS".  Seem fine today other than feeling slightly bleh and having a slightly sore stomach and a dead arm.  Shuffled my tempo workout to tomorrow just in case.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark - Yeah I get the impression from some comments on Strava that it was either lockdown craziness or replacing a missed race or both.

Do you mean Pfizer?  I'm booked for mine in 2 weeks, unless I'm one of the casualties as that is when we're due to run out (seriously, lol at our govt).

I did a 2x4km HMP workout this morning - the longest tempo blocks I usually do are 2 x 5km before a race - which is a decent enough workout by my standards with still 5.5 weeks until race day.  There was a bit of a breeze in the second half which sometimes troubles me on the exposed roads I run on from home but I felt like I nailed it.  I feel similar fatigue to some "easy" runs, almost feel like I could go again.  Hopefully this continues and means I'm finally comfortable at the faster paces.  It's taken a while to get accustomed to half-marathon training after the marathon block, although the first month had some external factors that possibly made it take longer than it usually would.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Do you mean Pfizer?  I'm booked for mine in 2 weeks, unless I'm one of the casualties as that is when we're due to run out (seriously, lol at our govt).

I did a 2x4km HMP workout this morning - the longest tempo blocks I usually do are 2 x 5km before a race - which is a decent enough workout by my standards with still 5.5 weeks until race day.  There was a bit of a breeze in the second half which sometimes troubles me on the exposed roads I run on from home but I felt like I nailed it.  I feel similar fatigue to some "easy" runs, almost feel like I could go again.  Hopefully this continues and means I'm finally comfortable at the faster paces.  It's taken a while to get accustomed to half-marathon training after the marathon block, although the first month had some external factors that possibly made it take longer than it usually would.

Sorry, yes I did mean Pfizer.  I suspect you'll be fine for your first one, looks like more risk we'll run out later this month / early next month when I have my second scheduled.

Just saw your workout on Strava - really good stuff mate, well done.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

I re-booked my vaccine - first one is this Friday.  Second 15 October.

I'm really hoping the Endorphin Pro's will be good!  Admittedly it's only one runner, but she had the same results as the Next %:

https://www.outsideonline.com/health/running/malindi-elmore-shoe-test-vaporflys-saucony/

I know Molly Seidel ran in Puma's for six weeks before feeling confident to sign, she had previously been with Saucony.  I don't know if Molly did lab tests, or just ran in them and made a judgement that they were really good.

I suspect pretty much all runners getting sponsored are doing thorough testing of the potential sponsors shoes these days.

The shoe brands that have release data have all admitted there's a range from roughly 1% to 6% (or more) economy improvements.  I also suspect that certain shoes work better for certain people, and that it may even be different by distance.

Which makes it pretty much impossible to know for an individual without spending a lot of money on shoes and then testing them.  Which is pretty much Darkwave with different shoes for different distances!

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Sorry, yes I did mean Pfizer.  I suspect you'll be fine for your first one, looks like more risk we'll run out later this month / early next month when I have my second scheduled.

Just saw your workout on Strava - really good stuff mate, well done.

Thanks!  I feel close to race ready, which I probably couldn't say a week ago.

I was really meaning the master plan to reduce demand (again, lol) by slowing down the roll out even more.  You have to laugh.

watson - I've done 2 pre-race runs in the Endorphins and they seem to be awesome.  Is it a placebo effect?  Maybe, I guess a race is the only real way to know.  The difference in weight surely will make some difference at least, especially for me, with my heavy training shoes.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Watson, Flavio and I are up on Friday too for the first shot.

The first run in my Next% was the 10k tt on my birthday. They felt freaking amazing and I ran a time much better than I hoped. 2nd run was my half and felt good but over all was slower than I hoped. The last run was a 5k in Christchurch and I was slower than in my Takumi Sens.

I guess my conclusion is they are fast but I have to be on form on the day too.

Steve nice workout. The money one for me is a continuous 10k tempo. That will really let you know if hmp is doable.

Mark good work getting the vaccine. Warm enough for a singlet here today although I ran at 11am.

Level 3 for me so back at work although I had 3 urgent callouts in level 4 to repair faulty alarms. My wife is back at work today too.

watsonc123

I remember you running a very good half at around 1:24?

Watson I ran 1.23.30 but was hoping for sub 1.23 based off my 10k tt.

watsonc123

31s off in a half is not much.