Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Piwi Very interesting. I don't think construction slowed down other than the first two weeks in March locally. Supply and demand is the only thing slowing stuff down. The prices of a 2x4 are at stupid high levels when they resemble Lombard Street.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

RP - The "old" guy actually found me on Strava. Flipping through pictures from the race here he is (finishing first 5k lap):

Dude runs sub-6 min miles for 10k wearing basketball shorts and a t-shirt! Makes me feel about like I haven't earned my fancy running clothes.

While looking through those pictures I decided that I run ugly. Whether or not I'm an ugly runner is also up for debate. Finishing the first 5k loop:

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

JMac11

RIP Milkman

That man was probably running 2:2X in sweatpants and cotton t shirts when you and I were playing with Power Rangers. Respect to him.

I also respect your pink theme.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

RP - The "old" guy actually found me on Strava. Flipping through pictures from the race here he is (finishing first 5k lap):

While looking through those pictures I decided that I run ugly. Whether or not I'm an ugly runner is also up for debate. Finishing the first 5k loop:

That's not an ugly running picture.  I've got quite a few much uglier than that.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

arunnerd

Roads Scholar

:delurk

After seeing his pic I had to look up the "old guy" in the PP10K results.  He is in the 40-44 age group.  Which means I was running in sweat pants and cotton T shirts when he was watching Scooby Doo.   Sigh.

Don't get me wrong.  Dude is still impressive as hell, just not as old as he looks.  He is almost impressive enough to be a Kiwi. 

Carry on.  You young whippersnappers are doing great.

:lurk

I strive towards laconic wit, my wife says I'm halfway there.

arunnerd.blogspot.com

zebano

Keen Looks like you got beat by Oklahoma's version of Piwi!

Love the pink kit!

Interesting point about the ratio. I too tend to have lower cadences ~168 easy runs ~174 tempo ~ 180 5k pace.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

I've got 10 years on that guy 

Keen is wearing long shorts too but his legs make them look short 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

watsonc123

I have had way worse photos than that.

Re NZ lockdown.  Auckland is REALLY locked down.  Much milder outside Auckland - no mass gatherings (so many races cancelled / postponed) , mask wearing in shops & public transport,  physical distancing required in doors.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Marky_Mark_17

Australia/New Zealand how are your lockdown(s) going? I don't trust anyone other than the people here to tell me the truth about things. Much like Dwave asking about traveling to New York and what it requires, or what the air is like due to Caldor or Dixie fires in the Great state of California. Like...is it really so bad someone woudn't want to live on a beach anymore?

Honestly pretty sick of it tbh.  We might be able to start lifting some restrictions here in Auckland from next week if things go well, so there's hopefully light at the end of the tunnel.  The media have been fearmongering as usual, so a certain section of people are behaving like it's the bubonic plague or something, meanwhile another subsection of people are just sick of it and ignoring the rules altogether.  At the moment everything is still shut except for supermarkets, pharmacies and gas stations.  Next week we might be allowed to get takeaways.

It's fine if you're outside of Auckland like Piwi, Watson and Steve, but even they are having to deal with some restrictions while things get under control in Auckland.  To be honest if I was a restaurant owner in the South Island I would be considering starting a secession campaign about now.

Keen - sweet outfit!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark - Despite zero cases for a year down here, you still see people driving alone in cars wearing masks which I find hilarious.  Level 2 is definitely better than level 4, but it's not enough to save a lot of businesses.  We still have to work from home which basically means week days are the same as level 4, only leaving the house for walks (or runs) and I have to admit I'm starting to crave a bit of alone time, or time with mates rather than 100% with my partner....(happy for that to be 90% of course!).  If we don't start dropping levels soon the frustration will really start to build.  And don't get me started on vaccine passports/covid papers.

Keen - Great race and report.  That guy is around my age which is scary....at Tekapo last week when we saw Mahe Drysdale, I pointed out to my partner that he's a couple of years younger than me and she was gracious enough to pretend to be shocked.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Mark - Despite zero cases for a year down here, you still see people driving alone in cars wearing masks which I find hilarious.  Level 2 is definitely better than level 4, but it's not enough to save a lot of businesses.  We still have to work from home which basically means week days are the same as level 4, only leaving the house for walks (or runs) and I have to admit I'm starting to crave a bit of alone time, or time with mates rather than 100% with my partner....(happy for that to be 90% of course!).  If we don't start dropping levels soon the frustration will really start to build.  And don't get me started on vaccine passports/covid papers.

Yeah.  This is the fear thing I was talking about.  I mean, if they really enjoy wearing masks, fine, but as it stands in the South Island, they're actually putting themselves in more danger by getting behind the wheel of the car, which they probably didn't think twice about.  Ironically even more so if they're wearing glasses which get fogged up by said mask.

Unfortunately being presented with an obvious threat (supported by additional media fearmongering) leads some people to view things in a less-than-balanced way and overweight that risk compared to real but more mundane everyday risks.

And as the saying goes... "familiarity breeds contempt".  I actively look for excuses to go to the supermarket or dairy just to get out of the goddam house.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

Keen - couple of edits for me.

National HM Champs on Sept 19 is cancelled.

National Road Relays on Oct 2 is almost certain to not be open to Aucklanders due to Covid restrictions, and will therefore get downgraded to a non-championship event, so may as well call this cancelled too.

Then a couple of additions:

Run Orewa 10km on Oct 17 (goal: actually just get to run the damn race!)

Run the Point 10km on Nov 28 (goal: have fun)

Omaha Half Marathon on Dec 12 (goal: course PB 1:19:14)

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

:delurk

After seeing his pic I had to look up the "old guy" in the PP10K results.  He is in the 40-44 age group.  Which means I was running in sweat pants and cotton T shirts when he was watching Scooby Doo.   Sigh.

Don't get me wrong.  Dude is still impressive as hell, just not as old as he looks.  He is almost impressive enough to be a Kiwi. 

Carry on.  You young whippersnappers are doing great.

:lurk

If that guy is in his early 40's, I'm 18. Piwi looks 10 years younger than him, not 10 years older! Either aged terribly or something ain't right here.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Poor guy leave him alone 😔 he has good skin 😉

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I hope he never finds this forum.  I agree with JMac though, he looks older than that age group.  He's pretty quick whatever age he is.

So the rest of NZ will be staying in Level 2 while Auckland is in Level 3 or higher.  My hopes for Wellington have decreased significantly.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024