Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

Welcome Timbo.  Those are some great numbers, and your marathon PR looks set for a take down based on your HM PR.

Thank you! I'm fully confident I would have broke 3 if I didn't have to take two weeks off due to ankle tendonitis. I wasn't properly prepared for a pfitz 18/55 plan. Not sure when I'll marathon again, but we keep grinding.

https://www.instagram.com/tfilarski/

watsonc123

+1 to Steve running Selwyn if it is on.

Mark - I also thought of Michael Voss.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Steve nice job on the 10k tempo. That looks good for sub 1.30.

Yeah I think back in the 80s when running was on a high there were alot of builders, farmers etc who competed. I'm sure they had amazing strength but it would have been a long day working and running.

Tim welcome congratulations on that half time.

Keens week is amazing except for my strava mate who lives near me who has a log like this

I got my 2nd shot yesterday. I wasn't booked but took my 17yr old daughter who was and my 15yr old son who wasn't booked and had one shot already. They were very quiet and easily accommodated us.

The usual sore arm and a few aches today but overall pretty seamless.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Good stuff Piwi.  Getting those vaccination numbers up is key for us getting back to normal!  I was all good the day after my second shot apart from a bit of a headache.  I timed it to line up with my usual Friday off running haha.  It's way easier now that a lot of the time you can just rock up to your local pharmacy and get it done without an appointment.

Unfortunately after today's case numbers I give us almost no chance of going to Level 2 next week, which means the odds are not looking good for Steve next weekend.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Piwi - That guy definitely has me by ~200 miles/322km so far on the year. That's a ton of volume, and very impressive.

There's a local guy who I've been chasing in miles most of the year, but since he's running the OKC Marathon (Sunday) and I'm getting in to higher mileage that gap is finally under 100 miles and closing quickly!

Mark - I do hope you're right about things getting back to normal with those numbers increasing and that NZ doesn't run in to Israel's issues with that.

Forecasted chance of rain during my race has nearly doubled in the last couple days! I do think that would be a lot of fun, though based on forecasted rainfall total it likely wouldn't be a very heavy rain.

ETA: NB Rebel v2s just showed up! First impressions are largely positive. The upper is pretty thin and breathable, and the midfoot/forefoot seems to have a bit more room than my Skechers Razor Excess. Cushioning seems a bit softer than the Skechers or other shoes I have.

Slight negatives are that the sizing seems to run very slightly small (these have maybe 1/2 a thumb's width between my toes and the end of the shoe instead of a full thumb's width), the laces are offset somewhat (comfortable, but leaves me without a great place to put my Stryd pod, not an issue for most others), and the exposed foam on the bottom is at the same level as rubber on the sole, rather than being recessed somewhat and protected by the rubber on the sole.

I'll probably try them out tomorrow morning and report back later.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Mark I feel fine today so very minor reaction and it's done now . I see those numbers were up yesterday although apparently expected. I try not to watch the news obsessively as it can be so sensationalized. TV one news feels like it's owned by Labour too....

Keen that particular guy with the high mileage was running very short fast stuff on low mileage about 2 years ago. I have to say I'm impressed at how well he's handling the extreme mileage but wonder how long he can keep it up for.

Nice to get those new shoes. Rebel 1 had quite a smoothe outsole which when new could be quite slippery on some wet surfaces. I think version 2 fixed that.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Good to hear the second shot hasn't had too much impact.  If Wellington doesn't go ahead I might bring mine forward.  No confirmation from Selwyn yet about whether they can go ahead at Level 2.  If they do confirm that then it is at least some light at the end of the tunnel, albeit having to peak yet again in 5 weeks, when I feel ready now.

Might as well keep the delusion going for a few more days...the first forecast for race day is out!  And, it's not great.  10 days is a lifetime in weather forecasts of course, but the first forecast is rain and Northwesterlies which makes for tough conditions around Wellington harbour.  Similar to the forecast for marathon day back in June, but without the severe gales.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Piwi - The local jr high track/xc coach is a guy who does pretty low mileage stuff, but very fast. Last year he ran a HM TT in 1:35 or so (with a sub-18 5k, though that's improved now). I think he's doing the OKC Memorial half on Sunday and yesterday he posted a final workout doing miles at HM pace - 6:00/mi / 3:44/km. I think he could actually pull that off, too, if the weather weren't as horrible as it's supposed to be for OKC - 60F/15.5C, same DP, and full sun (after 3 days of rain).
                  He's a pretty young guy (25-ish), and it'll be quite interesting (and obnoxious) to see what he can really do if he starts running more than 30-40mpw.

I got in a 9 miler today in the NB Rebel 2s, so here's a quick note on them:

They seem a good deal more plush when running than they did when just walking around, and are a good deal softer than any other shoes I have (Altra Escalante/Rivera, Saucony Speed/Pros, Skechers Razor Excess). There's no second eyelet at the top, which I found a bit odd, and so no option of a runner's loop.

They seemed quite quick, and by halfway through the run I didn't notice the plushness the way I did at first. I did get some very light rain for part of the run, and traction absolutely SUCKED with any noticeable amount of liquid on the road. The VF 4%s have more traction on wet pavement than these things do.

Overall quite comfortable, and I didn't have any issues with hot spots/blisters (the only shoes I really ever do are the Razor Excess, and only on one spot on my left foot). They don't feel as fast as the Endorphin Speeds, but so far I do think I prefer them to the Razor Excess (not just because of the occasional blister problem with those). I'll definitely get a lot more miles on them soon (once the roads dry out) and will update this if anything really changes my opinion on them.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Keen thanks for the shoe report. I thought they might have addressed the outsole this time round.

Darkwave may not like the softness etc if she's used to the adidas low stack models of the past.

That dude will go out fast then you will reel him in at mile 10 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Keen thanks for the shoe report. I thought they might have addressed the outsole this time round.

Darkwave may not like the softness etc if she's used to the adidas low stack models of the past.

I almost certainly will not.  Plush, poor traction, and no ability to heel lock?  Not my type.  Thanks for saving me some $!

I did get my pair of Puma Liberates today.  I'll do a test run in them tomorrow, but walking around they feel like what I wanted.  Low stack, light, flexible but not too flexible, and a bit of bounciness (at least when I'm walking)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Steve Yeah I can't imagine have a full time job that was physical and trying to run, of course if I did I might be in better physical shape and it wouldn't bother me as much.  Hope Wellington comes through for you!

Piwi Congrats on getting your second shot.

I managed to get a run in on Tuesday with the local run club.  It was a pretty quick pace for me and with n miles in for the prior 11 days I experienced a but of soreness on Wednesday.  To much going on around the house again last night to run but hopefully will get in some miles this weekend and start rolling again.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

zebano

Corey, you're a brave man to jump from 0 to a run club run.

I ordered some Endorphin Speeds (again). The last place I ordered from ran out and cancelled my order, hopefully these show up as <$100 for some near-super shoes is amazing.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Since we're doing shoe updates....I took my Puma Liberates out for a test run.  I think I like them, and they may end up being my long run shoe.  Light, low stack, with just enough cushion.

If we could somehow blend the Adidas SL 20 with the Puma Liberate, I think we'd have my perfect shoe for training, and perhaps even for shorter races.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Marky_Mark_17

Since we're doing shoe updates....I took my Puma Liberates out for a test run.  I think I like them, and they may end up being my long run shoe.  Light, low stack, with just enough cushion.

If we could somehow blend the Adidas SL 20 with the Puma Liberate, I think we'd have my perfect shoe for training, and perhaps even for shorter races.

Since we're doing shoe updates, those Alphafly's I got were definitely fake.  High stack but didn't have any of the bounce that you would expect.  Oh well, it was worth a go.

On the bright side, I got some heavily reduced Saucony Endorphin Pro's when Running Warehouse Australia had a sale a few days back.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

Are they the v1 or v2?  I just looked and they gave the v2 on a very good sale price.  I guess with Australia mainly in lockdown of some sort, selling race shoes are hard hence the sale price.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25