Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Keen - Sounds like pretty rough conditions for a race.  I think you should focus on the fact that you had over 3 miles where you desperately wanted to walk but didn't and write off the rest of the experience as bad racing weather.

Zebano - There's no guarantee of any racing, except the possibility of very small races, until December which is well past our racing season.  The only reason our racing season extends into November is because of so many postponed races.  If I get a race in early November it's unlikely that the weather will be crazy hot for a 9am start.  In mid-December, when the last half-marathon in my area runs, it's much more likely.  Fingers crossed for November 7 for a PR race!  If that doesn't happen it's time to write off a half this year and start the next marathon cycle - unless I want to put myself through a time trial which is slightly tempting if it's my only option, given my current fitness.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

RP - great RR and well done again.  I guess orange for you is the equivalent of blue for me haha.  DWave would agree on the Chipotle, though.  Also, big-ups for you giving all the other runners some support.  When I run out and back courses, I always find I struggle to summon the energy to do this.  Possibly because it's often been at like the 16-17k mark of a HM in hot summer temps.

Keen - I'm with Steve.  Sounds like just generally crap conditions.  On days like that it's often just about survival.  Marathons aside, I don't think I've ever gone to the well harder than in hot, summer HM's.

Zebano - honestly I find I lose a bit of sharpness if I haven't raced for a while.  Kind of need to run a race, to run a race.  But right now I'll take what I can get.  We're no chance of any meaningful races here until December at the earliest.  I've got a couple of Plan B options but even those are dependent on me being able to travel out of Auckland which is not currently an option.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

marky mark the ‘orange is faster’ comes from the days on Runners World forums. There was a gentleman who was a big Tennessee Volunteers fan. They’re colors are ‘orange’ so he said orange made you faster. I, not being one to be superstitious, gave it a try at CIM one year and it worked well enough to say ‘I’m not superstitious. I’m just going to do what I know worked in the past.’ Chipotle is DIRECTLY darkwave related. I didn’t know how important it is/was until she happened to let out some of the secret to her success.

also, if you need a place to stay after the first weekend of December I’ll help hide you from the authorities and contribute to your life in the run/lamb. Oh yeah….someone just told me ‘bonk’ in kiwi, or maybe Australian, doesn’t mean what American marathon runners think it means.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Marky_Mark_17

also, if you need a place to stay after the first weekend of December I’ll help hide you from the authorities and contribute to your life in the run/lamb. Oh yeah….someone just told me ‘bonk’ in kiwi, or maybe Australian, doesn’t mean what American marathon runners think it means.

It means that.  It means another thing also.  Lots of potential for amusement when you talk about bonking after 35km.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JamesD

JamesD

RP - Congratulations on the result.  Enjoyed the RR.  You and I should switch races sometime - all the races here remove the overall top 3 (and masters winners if they have them) of each gender from the age group awards.  It seems to be pretty easy with the timing software.  I felt awkward one year at our 900-person local half when someone in my age group (who was from out of town, so nobody knew his age except for those of us who looked at the results) was 3rd overall and I "won" our age group.  It felt like it would be humblebragging to tell people who congratulated me that I didn't really win it, but it also felt strange to accept congratulations for something I didn't really do.  And the few times I've been 3rd male at very small races, I assume the winner of our age group has felt strange too.  Seems like it might almost be fairer to just not award a first place in the 40-49 division if a fast 44-year-old is 3rd overall and gets a higher award or bigger prize.  That would have its own downsides, of course, like leftover awards.

It's interesting seeing everyone's habits & superstitions.  I foam roll exactly the same way before & after every run - 15 times on the quads, 15 on the hamstrings, 5 on both calves, 5 each on each calf crossed over the other, etc.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Hey everyone hope you all are doing well.

nice weeks by all

Steve sorry they have canceled yet another race I know it has to be tough, cheers when you have that bourbon.

James Great race report and Great job in the race that an awesome time!

Zebano nice job despite your disappointment like Mark said write it off to a bad day and keep moving

RP nice race and race report congrats on the 2nd overall!

Keen nice race well done congrats on 3rd overall.

Not much running for me the last couple of weeks just getting in a few miles here and there when I can between getting the house ready to sell and work so nothing to report on from last week.

Good new for me we got our house on the market last week on Thursday about 2pm.  We knew there would be a big rush and anticipated multiple offers so we made it known it the MLS for everyone to provide best offers and gave a deadline of 5pm Monday to submit them.  After a long end of week, and weekend (we had about 40 showings) we ended up with 6 offers and decided on one Monday, so we are under contract and are expected to close Nov 3rd. yeah!! 1 step closer! its been a long year just have to get may condo finished in the next few weeks!

Bad news is I was on the way home from work last night and was in a car accident... sideswiped and run off the road. I'm ok nothing serious just a bit sore across my back so looks like I will not be running anytime soon gonna have to take some more time off.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

zebano

Corey, I'm really glad the crash wasn't more serious, that's scary. Good luck with the house sale though it sounds like most of the work is done.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Marky_Mark_17

Corey - wow all action for you and not all of it in a good way.  Glad to hear the crash wasn't too serious and hope you are feeling better again soon.  Good stuff on the house sale though.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

Cfarr - I hope you recover quickly.  Is your condo completed?  Or is there still minor work to do?  In New Zealand, the pandemic has resulted in a massive average house price rise of around 50% over 18 months.  Has there been much of an increase in South Carolina?

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Running Problem

Problem Child

It means that.  It means another thing also.  Lots of potential for amusement when you talk about bonking after 35km.

Cfarr Congratulations on the house. Bummer on the car. Is the vehicle okay? I assume so if you're saying you're sore and taking just a few days off.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Corey - Congratulations on selling the house and getting a good price from the sound of it.  I'm glad you're okay after the crash, sounds like a scary experience.

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - Athletics NZ has just published updated guidelines at Level 2.  This is all based on the official Sport NZ and Ministry guidance.  Anyway, there are no gathering limits at Level 2 now for sporting events at an indoor or outdoor venue, subject to ensuring appropriate distancing requirements (this applies to spectators but does not apply to participants in the event itself).

I got quite excited about this until I dug a bit further.  Just to make it REALLY confusing, as per the official Covid 19 website re events and entertainment:

"If an event is outdoors but not at an event facility — for example a concert at a park, a parade, or an organised sporting event like a marathon, this is limited to 100 people. "

I guess the out take from this is track events are fine but road events are capacity limited at Level 2.  This... doesn't make a lot of sense to me given how quickly the field spreads out at a road race but what do you expect.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Yeah I just heard they are having a crowd at the Wellington vs Canterbury rugby match and thought maybe the Wellington Marathon had jumped the gun.  But those guidelines seem to clearly ban marathons which is pretty ridiculous to me given they are outdoors, especially in places with no cases.

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Yeah I just heard they are having a crowd at the Wellington vs Canterbury rugby match and thought maybe the Wellington Marathon had jumped the gun.  But those guidelines seem to clearly ban marathons which is pretty ridiculous to me given they are outdoors, especially in places with no cases.

And especially in the case of Wellington Marathon which starts and finishes at an event facility (and you can require everyone to sign in there).

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Thanks everyone for the well wishes! I'm feeling well enough to head to work today. Back is still sore but the muscle relaxer and pain meds are working.

Watson Condo is not quite completed still need to install the toilet, shower door and the oven hood.  The toilet and shower door are in the condo just need to be put in, the oven hood is still not arrived yet, I imagine we can live without that if we need to.  The toilet and shower door are a necessity .  Other than that just some minor stuff we went through with the contractor to fix.  Not sure on the percentage increase but definitely a rise in house prices in the last year and a half, its a sellers market for sure.

RP car is going to be ok after some body shop and repair work.  I was able to drive it home but have parked it in the driveway waiting on wrecker to come pick it up today and take to be repaired.  Front bumper, drivers side fender, and door all took a hit.  and was shaking a bit while driving home.  I have a rental car now so at least I have a way to get around.

Mark Steve the rules there seem to be very hard to follow and keep up with....

In other news my son has had a few interviews now, and has one more today.  He is still trying to get to Hawaii.  I think he has landed a job, a company he had interviewed with on Wednesday called him back last night and told him they would be sending him an offer. The company is based out of Hawaii but the project they need him on is in Guam.  If he accepts the offer he will be closer to all of you in New Zealand than to me, and even closer to Tokyo Japan.

• 2500km to Tokyo, Japan
                                • 6,800km to New Zealand
                                • 12,850km to SC

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)