Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

Marky_Mark_17

My hobby jogger statement is basically stating we are just amateurs.

On that basis, there are probably only four current NZ distance runners who aren't hobby joggers - the Robertsons, Nick Willis and Camille Buscomb.  Even Malcolm Hicks, who made the world champs and the Olympics, has a full-time job.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Zeb - It’s hard to explain, it felt colder when the wind blew. Also, I’ve lost some weight so maybe I’ve lost a bit of cold-protective fat 😁

Piwi - thanks, yeah, dunno if there will ever be a period like that, it seems marathons are never a good cycle. 

But, never say never. 

Watson - Dunno, I guess I’m no longer a reptile. Or that the marathon is just too long and that wind was really really cold.

Mark - Thanks, it’s good to know there’s somebody else out there who feels the same about the marathon.

It just feels not worthy of my limited time. I spent the last 2 months before the race stuck in a rut and now I have 1 to 2 months of recovery.

Could it have been better if I watched my nutrition better? yeah. Does it mean that if I watch my nutrition better in the future all will be well? Nope. Something else will most certainly break or fall apart.

Could I perhaps benefit from a much shorter cycle? Very likely, maybe I would do better with an 8 week cycle from sign up to race day.

Do I want to try that out now? Fuck no 😂

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Nice Job Flavio! a great effort, looking forward to reading your race report.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

zebano

Flavio, I'm with Mark. The marathon is not the end-all be all of races and you should only train for one if you really have a burning desire to. The time required to train properly is huge and while it makes you strong I personally enjoy the faster stuff more. That said, I'm currently considering an IronMan 70.3 which is also a huge timesink but would happen in Puerto Rico so would be an awesome vacation for the Mrs. and I.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Marky_Mark_17

Flavio - the relative effort/reward of the marathon was the key factor for me.  4-5 months training, 2 months down afterwards.  Much greater potential for injury issues than training for shorter distances.  That's at least a 6 month commitment, potentially to have the whole thing wrecked by bad weather on race day, or a Covid cancellation/postponement, or any number of other things.  At least 2 of those 6 months, I'll be hating running and/or frustrated.  For me, it's just not worth it.  It's nice to still have the energy to play with my daughter on the weekend because I haven't been out doing 35km long runs with quality efforts.  I want to be out enjoying a heap of different races when things start to open up here again!

But that's just my point of view and JMac and others are much bigger marathon fans than me.  Once you're out of the post-marathon funk, take the time to think about what you love about running.  That's probably where you'll find your answer.

Steve - not trying to put you off marathons.  I do think every runner needs to do at least one.  And maybe you'll love it!

Zebano - race / holiday combo's are great!  70.3 is pretty popular over here, I know a bunch of triathletes who love them.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve - not trying to put you off marathons.  I do think every runner needs to do at least one.  And maybe you'll love it!

I actually really enjoyed marathon training and can only remember one 32+km run that didn't go well and even on that one I felt fine before cramp came out of nowhere.  My legs get more beaten up on some of the half training - this Progressive Workout beat me up more than the 36km with 3x7km @ marathon pace (I think - memory could be playing up).

Having said that, I never got to actually do the marathon which would have changed things, especially with the horrific weather in Wellington that day.  I think the fact that my goal is quite conservative for my first also helps me enjoy the training a bit more.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

But that's just my point of view and JMac and others are much bigger marathon fans than me.  Once you're out of the post-marathon funk, take the time to think about what you love about running.  That's probably where you'll find your answer.

Bat signal sent out, here to answer.

I am a big fan of it personally because it seems to suit me. If you asked me 5 years ago what my best distane was, it was clearly the Half. I outperformed there vs. other distances. But it turned out I outperform even more at the marathon. I cannot run those equivalent times of my marathon PR, even with dedicated 5K training blocks. Part of that though, I think, is that we are all definitely past our 5K prime, almost certainly past 10K, and probably past Half too. The marathon is the one distance where you can run it very well into your late 30s (and obviously older if you get started later).

ETA: one other point related to above after reading Steve's post again: I actually really enjoy marathon quality days. Probably not the 21-22 mile long runs as much, but I love a 16-18 mile quality day with some LT work mixed in. I've never gotten that sense of accomplishment from half marathon workouts like I do there, and most of those would qualify as overkill for a half marathon.

I also think marathon training makes you a better half runner. Mark you are more of an exception to the rule, but most people run their best half times during marathon buildups because you are putting in so many miles. Not many people run 100K+ per week for 3 straight months just to run a half marathon. I dont think I can break 75 minutes in a half by running a "dedicated" half marathon cycle, but I do think I can get there in a marathon cycle.

I just continue to rag on you about the marathon not because I think it's the best race for everyone, but that you will at some point realize lifetime PRs in the shorter distances are no longer possible as we all must as we age, but the marathon still has potential for a PR. Maybe you won't care about that, but my money is on you running another one because you're going to go for that "high" one more time of getting a PR in a distance.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Flavio nice Race Report valiant effort way to go & Congrats on the PB!

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Corey - thank you, how's it going, how's the new house?

Keen - I've just hired a nutritionist and she told me I was not eating enough to sustain my training.

That got me wondering: what exactly do you eat in a day to fuel your weeks?

You can only get so far with steaks, cheese and eggs.

Do you have any super caloric dense cheat foods to top up the calories in a day?

You're about my size so your base caloric comsumption should be over 2500 already.

Then you spend nearly 1000 calories daily on running.

What kind of dark magic do you do LOL

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Keen - I've just hired a nutritionist and she told me I was not eating enough to sustain my training.

That got me wondering: what exactly do you eat in a day to fuel your weeks?

You can only get so far with steaks, cheese and eggs.

Do you have any super caloric dense cheat foods to top up the calories in a day?

You're about my size so your base caloric comsumption should be over 2500 already.

Then you spend nearly 1000 calories daily on running.

What kind of dark magic do you do LOL

2,500 cal/day is really close to the right number for me, before accounting for exercise. Nice guess. I've actually been thinking that I really need to start logging my food for a while to see exactly what I'm getting at. Steak, cheese, and eggs go a long way!

Breakfast is usually either 4 eggs cooked in bacon grease or plain, whole milk Skyr or greek yogurt. With some protein powder and/or extra cream stirred in for good measure. Occasionally bacon or sausage if I'm cooking for the whole family. The yogurt + protein powder/cream is really my super calorically-dense option. I like this after runs because of the inherent growth-promoting qualities of dairy. Fortunately I don't have issues digesting it.

Lunch is usually pretty big. Maybe ~1lb/.45kg of steak/hamburger from the family farm, with roasted veggies. I'll frequently eat some fish/seafood for lunch as well. I love clams and sardines in particular.

Supper is typically whatever DW makes (less the pasta and potatoes she and the girls are fond of) - typically chicken, pork, or beef of some sort and more green veggies.

I'll sprinkle in some seasonal fruit as well whenever I feel like it.

Essentially I'm aiming for (at minimum) 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight (2.2gram/kg), with the bulk of the calories coming from fats. Carbs are (gasp!) pretty minimal unless I'm doing a workout in the morning, in which case I'll usually get ~65gr of that pre-run. Maybe a gel or two during said run depending on length and goal of the workout.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Did someone say bacon grease 😋 Everything is better with bacon right ?

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

My diet running 70+ MPW is a lot of carbs. Keen and I are polar opposites. I can eat 3/4 a box of pasta, and then still be hungry enough to eat a pint of ice cream after dinner. When the oven is hot...

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

My diet running 70+ MPW is a lot of carbs. Keen and I are polar opposites. I can eat 3/4 a box of pasta, and then still be hungry enough to eat a pint of ice cream after dinner. When the oven is hot...

And that's EXACTLY one of the reasons I eat the way I do. Years ago I'd do a big run and eat "good post long run breakfast" and eat a couple cups of oatmeal made with milk and topped with nuts. 800+ calories of "good carbs" and fiber in a bowl. Not much protein, and a good deal of the fats being what I avoid now. 2 hours later I'd be ravenously hungry again, and that cycle would just continue throughout the day.

Prioritizing protein now I recover better overall and also don't have anywhere near the soreness I used to after hard or long runs. I truly credit this as being a big reason I can put up the mileage I am without so much as a niggle. Not to mention that I'm much more satiated and don't suffer through the day hungry all the time. Not to mention the micronutrient increases that come along with more protein + fats.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

JMac11

RIP Milkman

For sure. Well now I want some protein. I had a salad for lunch, which when you're running this much, is basically just air. Time to get Shake Shack for dinner 

Marky_Mark_17

Did someone say bacon grease 😋 Everything is better with bacon right ?

I do a great mac n cheese which also involves bacon grease.  Perfect for Sunday dinner after a long run that morning!  This is literally one of two things I can cook (toasted sandwiches being the other).

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"