Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Posted my recap in the 2020 thread, but because I'm superstitious, I won't post my intro in this thread before it's actually 2021.  If I did, 2021 might never happen, you see.  It'd be like wearing the shirt you get at the race expo with your bib before you've finished the race.  So you can all thank me on January 1.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

zebano

Zeb if you want to drink less beer maybe check out this company.  Without knowing what kind of beer you like (In a previous life I ran marathons and brewed beer along with traded beer across state and country lines) I can tell you the stout, Pale Ale, and IPA are good enough to pass most people's perceptions of what a non-alcoholic beer would taste like. The IPA I poured even looked like a regular beer with foamy white lasting head and golden yellow color. Pretty sure they're using Cascade but not like Sierra Nevada Torpedo levels. It might cut that "post run" beer edge a lot. Down side is they can be out of stock, and they're about the same price as a normal 6 pack. MY wife enjoys the wines.

Very interesting. I'm mostly a sour and IP guy though in the winter a good Coffee or Chocolate Stout can be really nice. I'm curious what the calorie content of those is. FWIW it's not a post run beer hankering I get, it's more of a end of the day desire for a beer that turns into 3 or 4 way too often.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Very interesting. I'm mostly a sour and IP guy though in the winter a good Coffee or Chocolate Stout can be really nice. I'm curious what the calorie content of those is. FWIW it's not a post run beer hankering I get, it's more of a end of the day desire for a beer that turns into 3 or 4 way too often.

The IPA was a good one for getting you the beer flavor without the buzz. They make a Berliner Weisse which I assume is pretty easy because you just need to add lactic acid until the pH is about 3.2. Everything making a sour beer "sour" is available for purchase and really helps breweries dial in how long to let a batch sit to get their flavors. I'm sure Russian River used them a LOT to get their beers just right. Hottenroth was my first berliner and it blew my mind. Especially for only being a 3.2% beer. I thought only Coors Light could taste so good and be so refreshing as a light beer.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Zebano same for me I get the beer taste about 5pm. I can usually stop after 2 especially once dinner is ready.

I tried some 200s today. I very rarely have run them, maybe once ever. Wasn't quite sure but I did 8 x 200 with 1 minute breaks. Is this about right?

They averaged about 36 secs. It was nice to get the legs moving quicker than 5k pace. I notice my cadence was over 200 for them.

That's my last run of 2020 as its new years eve here today.

Will probably run early tomorrow to check out people sleeping in the gutters beside broken glass and to remember that I may have done that once 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

zebano

That's some pretty good leg speed for an old man! JD says you the recovery should be 1-2x the interval time so you nailed it.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Cheers Zebano and sobering when its slower than Kipchoges marathon pace 

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - JTReeves from the marathon thread was running 200's at around 34-35s this morning so I'd say that's not too shabby an effort!  I would normally run 200s with a 200m jog recovery so 1 minute recovery is probably bang on.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Happy New Year everyone

I didn't party like its 1999 but was in bed by 10pm and up running at 6am with a 20km run down to check out the morning after. Was fairly peaceful with a few people sleeping in cars etc.

One car full of young people went past and sarcastically clapped at me .

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Just a half hour easy run today, a bit of taper to see if I can recover in time for the time trial.

A bit of throat soreness here as usual, of all the things I never expected the air in Bologna to be this polluted. I might have to pull up my prescription of Napoletan pizza for Saturday to try to right the ship.

Half an hour tomorrow, then Saturday off. Taper madness is just sort of here without a real race in sight.

See you guys next year!!

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Running Problem

Problem Child

Piwi I thought it was 2020 and I couldn't believe it when someone on Strava posted they ran like 18 miles a day for a year. I get it now. You fooled me. Hopefully the future is more of the same when measured in Fredumb units.

Ended the year with a shortened run. VPN at work was down for the first 3.5 hours of the day so I took advantage when the boss said "well do what you'd do if the office had an outage" which is "not a DAMN thing productive." I need to start 2021 with some consistent weeks of training and let 2020 go away. Started taking the dog for walks which seems to help get me out of the house and maybe motivated enough to do a 45 minute run.

VDOT 53.37 

Marky_Mark_17

Happy New Year everyone

I didn't party like its 1999 but was in bed by 10pm and up running at 6am with a 20km run down to check out the morning after. Was fairly peaceful with a few people sleeping in cars etc.

One car full of young people went past and sarcastically clapped at me .

Heh I was asleep by 9pm. I really wanted to go out for my usual pre-sunrise New Years run but coach had said to have a day off with a couple of big workouts planned for the weekend so I slept in until the ridiculous hour of 6:30am.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mark I noticed no entry for you on Strava today. Should be nice and fresh for the weekend.

Scott yes we are in the future . I teased you with a longrun comment as you did a 2 miler today.

Flavio looking forward to your time trial. I'm considering a 10k one to try for a sub 39.

zebano

RP does the dog not run with you? I've been running with my pooch a few times a week and she loves it but thinks I'm terribly slow.

PiwiKiwi  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRYtn0j5ccA&list=LLPixStBYFD8TkWWA6Q7KCZA&index=77

Kiwis -  I can't believe it's 5PM here and you guys are already awake, running in the new year.

Happy New Year All.

Flavio It's just taper madness, go crush that TT.

I converted my Saucony Triumpo Iso-s to screw shoes today and I should have done that a week ago. I felt so much more steady out there!

Zebano ha yes I've seen the Kipchoge pace treadmill challenge before.

When you run at that pace you quickly become aware of how restricted your stride is and thats what separates everyone's max potential when it partnered with aerobic ability.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Zeb the dog DID years ago when I did closer to a 9:00/mi pace. I took him (Yorkie) up to 5 miles a few times a week and ran a few 5ks with him. Now I just take him for walks so he doesn’t get so thick in the middle and I feel bad being home with him and doing nothing while I watch people walk THEIR dogs.

VDOT 53.37