Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mark and Mikkey are about the same weight, I say we solve their crisis in the Octagon 🥊😂

So, In terms of physicality I'd have to favor Mark with the background in field hockey and being slightly heavier (you know how those measurements in NZ are though) as opposed to Mikkey's background in golfing.

But then again, Mikkey grew up in the mean streaks of the UK and is likely to have more experience in combat as opposed to Mark who grew up in New Zealand, let's be realistic, the worst he's seen is probably a pillow fight 🤡

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mark and Mikkey are about the same weight, I say we solve their crisis in the Octagon 🥊😂

So, In terms of physicality I'd have to favor Mark with the background in field hockey and being slightly heavier (you know how those measurements in NZ are though) as opposed to Mikkey's background in golfing.

But then again, Mikkey grew up in the mean streaks of the UK and is likely to have more experience in combat as opposed to Mark who grew up in New Zealand, let's be realistic, the worst he's seen is probably a pillow fight 🤡

I’d just whack him on the head with my King Cobra driver. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Watson had crayfish on toast for breakfast growing up in Kaikoura 

Mark yeah there are loads of humpback whales up that coast. We were near Newcastle but I've seen them off the Goldcoast too.

Flavio funny 😄

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Wow I see the women's half marathon world record was crushed now 1.02.50. She went through the 10k in 29.30 faster than the 10k world record 😮

Congrats Jmac on his new PB too

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Flavio- I have one of those pull-up bars that inserts into a doorway with no bolts or screws.  This is pretty much what I have.  Takes about 3 seconds to insert or remove.  The only downsides are a) it's left some black marks on the doorframe and b) the pull-up handles are a bit too wide for my shoulders, making the exercise a bit harder.  I sense the second will not be an issue for you.  (insert rant about how fitness equipment is generally biased towards men/larger people).

James - good luck with the foot!

Marky_MArk - hope the weather improves!

Piwi - yay for positive father-son activity.  I do not think your week was pathetic.

Watson - I will defend pool-running to the bitter end. Just so you know.  Nice week for you.

Steve - that is crazy.  I'm glad there were no long lasting repercussions (well, except for the swollen jaw).

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Marky_Mark_17

Wow I see the women's half marathon world record was crushed now 1.02.50. She went through the 10k in 29.30 faster than the 10k world record 😮

Yep congrats to JMac on a really solid race.  Obviously some dark spots through the middle but dug it in for the PB.

That women's HM record effort by Gidey was insane... although when she beats the 10k record on the way through and knocks more than a minute off the record the obvious questions are going to be asked.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

darkwave

Mother of Cats

(being lazy and cutting/pasting my comments because I'm in a sour mood and tired).

My week:

52 miles running, 2:40 hours pool-running, and 1000 yards swimming.

M: 80 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core.
                T: 11 miles, with an attempted track workout that ended up being just some 200s and 400s at 6:45 pace. Followed with leg strengthwork.
                W: In the evening, 2 miles very easy (10:02 pace)  [stuck in a training session for most of the day.]
                Th: 80 minutes pool-running and streaming yoga in the morning; 4 miles very easy (10:10) in the afternoon.
                F: 10.5 miles with 8 hill repeats. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
                Sa: 10.5 very easy (9:46) plus drills, 4 hill sprints, upper body weights/core
                Su: 14.5 miles progressive, split as first 5.5 miles averaging 10:04 pace, next 4.5 miles averaging 8:44 pace, and next 4.5 miles averaging 7:45 pace, and then leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.

So not great.  Things are continuing to decline and I'm feeling more wobbly and my legs are feeling weaker. I am extremely frustrated.  I start getting into shape and then the chair gets pulled out from under me again.

I saw both my primary care doctor and my rheumatologist this week - both agreed that neurology was the proper road to go down here.  A first round of bloodwork (CBC/CMP, iron panel, and folate/B12) came back totally fine.  I'm waiting on the results of a second round to check other b-vitamins (B1, B6, and B7).  I'm also going to see if I can check in with the neurologist before my EMG in early November, since things have gotten worse since my last appointment.

I'm just frustrated.  I officially pulled out of the elite field for Indy Half so my spot could go to someone else because I can't be sure I'll be able to run it, and it's highly unlikely I will be able to run it fast.

I'm not worried about this being a long term thing - I think it's got to be something akin to the folate deficiency (the increasing weakness and lack of speed feels very similar).  I just need to figure out what it is.  I keep hoping that the B-vitamin panel will show something, as issues with one of those could explain these symptoms.

As for the obvious question of why I'm continuing to run, and to try to include some faster running a few times a week?  Everybody seems to agree this is neurologic.  I have a big history of neurologic issues in my family, and one thing I know is that it is essential to stay active and to do as much as you can when working through a neurologic issue - basically to keep using those neural connections as much as you can.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

That women's HM record effort by Gidey was insane... although when she beats the 10k record on the way through and knocks more than a minute off the record the obvious questions are going to be asked.

Obvious questions are....obvious....

I thought the LetsRun Op Ed handled the subject pretty well.  One thing that does weigh somewhat against doping is that she was clearly world class even as a kid.

Marky_Mark_17

I’d just whack him on the head with my King Cobra driver. 

Ding ding, instant disqualification.  You lose.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

Obvious questions are....obvious....

I thought the LetsRun Op Ed handled the subject pretty well.  One thing that does weigh somewhat against doping is that she was clearly world class even as a kid.

Don't get me wrong, I'd really love to be believe it was a legit performance, and a stunning one at that.  It's just... hard.

Anyway sorry to hear you're going through a rough patch.  It sounds extremely frustrating.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

zebano

Gidey is unbelievable. Wow.

Flavio That's be the worst PPV match ever btu I'd be one of the3 paying to see it

Steve  Yowza that sucks. I cannot imaging not being able to enjoy the waters. One of my great memories is just watching the waves on Lake Superior en transit to Isle Royale in some 13 foot swells.

I missed the JMac bit on Strava. Waiting for a RR>

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

watsonc123

Excellent run by Jmac.

The womans Road records are falling so often at the moment.  It is a little like in Blackadder when there's a new arch bishop of Canterbury.

Darkwave - good luck on your health issues.  I would give advice, but I have no helpful advice to give.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

DW - I guess the issue with that product is that it has that protruding bar is likely where your arms would go.

Yeah, I cannot use one of those, I’ll bring the door frame down Big grin

Sorry to hear about the neurological issues, that sounds really scary and hopefully you can figure this one out with the doctors.

Pity there aren’t real life Dr Gregory Houses.

Jmac - Kudos for an excellent half race and a big PR.

Mark - Thing is, she’s as suspicious as Bolt, Kipchoge and Paula. Actually less suspicious than Paula.

She was junior champ twice and is the current WR holder in the 5 and 10k.

She’s less suspicious than Almaz Ayana, Van Niekerk (or that Italian dude who won the 100m dash) who capture gold at the olympics and vanish from the face of the earth.

She’s been there at the top of the races for the past 3 or 4 years and she’s clearly a cardio machine with no kick to call her own, it’s not a big stretch that she would do better at the half marathon.

But yeah, records were stale for a few years and then suddenly they start falling like dominoes in all distances.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac Nice job on the new PR!

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

zebano

DW I thought you had a handle on which medication is causing that. That's really frustrating that it's back.

I had another solid week. Coach kept the workouts shorter and I nailed them while getting in some good volume.

Monday 7.5 miles easy, not smooth
                                Tuesday 8.3 miles 4xKM on .25 jog 3:50, 58, 53, 53 did this on the roads which is always harder for me
                                Wednesday 4.6 miles easy. On grass
                                Thursday 12.4 miles very easy. one should always charge their headlamp before running at 4:30 AM. 
                                Friday 9.1 miles 2x2T on 800jog. [6:48, 45], [6:47, 41]. Felt smooth and in control 
                                Saturday 4.7 miles easy
                                Sunday 15.1miles

windy, raining and 45F. Pretty fun once I got myself out the door. 

61.7 miles

This week is a recovery week with an 8k time trial. New race distance means automatic PR!

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)