Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

zebano

Steve - ugg sorry about your Mom. but yes "cooling" we're going from 20F now to -3 tomorrow... bleh.

Flavio - Care to share the pdf? I'm curious how their half plan differs from the marathon book.

I should add that after posting about how I do lots of training at easy efforts I've felt quite worn down and slacked on my running & crosstraining this week. I'm going to try and get back on track as my legs felt great today I just think I'm not getting enough sleep.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I leave and JT starts posting in here? What's going on! He must have confused this for the sub 3 thread.

Zebano - negative 3 degrees. I guess that's fine with no wind. But if you get the wind even to 10 mph, I'd pass on running in that. I think my lower limit on wind chill is negative 10.

Steve - sorry about your mom.

We had a snowy owl in Central Park for the first time in over a hundred years. I ran by the crowd and only got a slight peak because they (rightfully so) kept everyone at a very far distance away from it. I did have 3 different hawks fly right past my head though during the run today. So Keen - if I was titling my run today, it would have been "3 red-tailed hawks, 1 snowy owl." Good luck topping that 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Jmac meh we've got thousands of those snowy owls 🦉 

Keen ever since I mentioned the podcast on the importance of sleep, I've only been getting 5 hours per night. I think its just too hot and I don't get to sleep till midnight and wake automatically at 5am. I feel ok though.

Physio today for my neck/upper back. Just massage and manipulation which really freed it up.

Speaking of heartrate I averaged 123bpm on my 12km run this morning albeit at 5.20/km.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

watsonc123

Steve - sorry about your mum. Is the 6 weeks is because of the healing time?  Can she not do most things one armed?  Or is it just because she is now more vulnerable?

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

It's possible it will be slightly less than that but that's how long she'll have the cast on.  To be honest, I think she was unsafe at home before that so to go home without the use of one arm would likely lead to another incident.

5km: 18:34 11/23 â”‚ 10km: 39:10 8/23 â”‚ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 â”‚ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mick - your problem is that you understand their lyrics 

To the outsiders: Rammstein has lyrics that are either outright hilarious or disgusting depending on who you ask .

This gets me thinking that enjoying music is a largely different experience for native English speakers vs rest of the world.

With the dominance in the mainstream of English songs, a native English speaker gets at most some funny accent.

Anybody else just listens to la la la la la la hum hum hum and moves their feet to the tune without ever realizing what the singer is on about.

To be fair, even though native English speakers will be able to recognize the words in the song, it's unlikely anybody will ever get the meaning.

This probably extends to movies. Native English speakers probably never ever see subtitles in their life, whereas for anybody else it's second nature. Going one step further, when an actor speaks in a "poor person" accent, the native speaker will have that extra layer of information and detail, whereas the non native will be completely unaware. Going 2 steps further, it's common in most countries to have movies dubbed, so instead of Al Pacino you're actually listening to some dude who got paid 100 bucks for the dubbing.

Now that was a strong tangent, wasn't it?

Zeb - You might still be able to find it here -> https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1754/7753/files/Advanced_Half_Marathon_-_3.15.pdf?12975293061006073263

It took me a minute to realize you were talking about negative Fahrenheit, at which point I started wondering if life is possible at such low temperature.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

darkwave

Mother of Cats

This gets me thinking that enjoying music is a largely different experience for native English speakers vs rest of the world.

With the dominance in the mainstream of English songs, a native English speaker gets at most some funny accent.

Anybody else just listens to la la la la la la hum hum hum and moves their feet to the tune without ever realizing what the singer is on about.

To be fair, even though native English speakers will be able to recognize the words in the song, it's unlikely anybody will ever get the meaning.

This probably extends to movies. Native English speakers probably never ever see subtitles in their life, whereas for anybody else it's second nature.

FWIW, a lot of my favorite bands have some songs in other than English (i.e. KMFDM, Wolfsheim, Beborn Beton) so I get a bit of what you are talking about.  I always think "y'know, I should translate these lyrics sometime to make sure I'm not singing something really offensive"

I also listen to a lot of music with heavily processed vocals, so it may be English, but I have no idea what they are singing....

Steve - best wishes for your mother.  It is so hard watching our parents age.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I'm a native speaker and I think at least half the songs I like I literally have no idea what the lyrics are actually saying, even if I sing along! There have been songs I've loved for years and randomly I'll actually pay attention to what the lyrics mean and I'll think wow, that is not what I thought.

Some of us just like a good beat...

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - A snowy owl?? That's awesome and I'm quite jealous! Those do make it to Oklahoma at times, but I've never seen one. Usually "just" Great Horned Owls (one buzzed me during a workout last week, just a couple feet above my head), but I was excited to also see a barn owl during a LR recently, too.

Piwi - That little sleep would get to me these days. Glad you're feeling ok with it, and hopefully that gets back to normal for you.

Flavio - I'm not much of a tv watcher, but 98.7% of what I watch is subbed (dubs suck!). Musically, I'm a big fan of lyrics that are understandable and mean something - not the typical pop songs, etc. Neo-traditionalist country music for the win!

5k: 17:58 11/22 â”‚ 10k: 37:55 9/21 â”‚ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 â”‚ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

JamesD

JamesD

I'm a big fan of tracking resting HR the old-fashioned way: before getting out of bed in the morning, count the beats for 1 minute (I measure it at my wrist while watching the bedside clock).

Ever since a certain samba parade in Brazil*, I've had ringing in my ears, and when it's even moderately quiet, I can hear my heartbeat. I check it upon waking a couple of days a week, and there's a pretty clear pattern of it being 5-8 bpm higher the morning after a workout or a long run than after a rest day, and 2-5 bpm higher after a regular run. It's also a good gauge of sickness - any time I'm 12 bpm above the baseline during the day without having done a hard run recently, I know I should be in bed.

* Flavio will say my parade doesn't count, because it was only in Brasilia and not the real one in Rio.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I've always wondered how my watch was arriving at that value!

I'm a big fan of tracking resting HR the old-fashioned way: before getting out of bed in the morning, count the beats for 1 minute (I measure it at my wrist while watching the bedside clock).  

Written like someone who doesn't have three cats wreaking destruction throughout the bedroom because their feeding schedule is being delayed by 60 seconds.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Marky_Mark_17

Written like someone who doesn't have three cats wreaking destruction throughout the bedroom because their feeding schedule is being delayed by 60 seconds.

We only have one.  His strategy is to cry incessantly until I get out of bed to feed him, then to try and silently trip me up and kill me in the dark while I am on the way to get his food.

There are many things I do not understand about cats.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Ha! We are lucky I guess; our 4 cats are well-behaved in that regard, though there is always dry food available for them which certainly helps. The 2 dogs are the ones anxiously awaiting me getting up to feed them.

2:52:16 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

One of ours sits on my bladder until I get up; the other two prowl the room chewing on any magazines or books they can find in an attempt to convince me that they are malnourished and starving.

runethechamp

There is a gap between my nightstand and the wall because our bedroom is small and I can't push the nightstand all the way in. That gap is just big enough for one of our cats to fit in, but she can't figure out how to get out. So many mornings she will start chirping, jump down, and complain until I scruff her and lift her out. Then she walks out of the room and seems perfectly content. It's like it is some sort of fetish or something.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it