Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Flavio - Scary how much toll the marathon has taken and is a familiar story to what Mark went through.  I guess the people on this thread with more marathons in the legs get back to normal much quicker, so I can expect a long recovery after my first in April, albeit with (I think) a conservative goal rather than your all or nothing approach.

Watson - Agree with piwi that would be a great effort after some of the bad luck you've had.  Keen my target is 1:29.24.  I don't know whether I will have A, B and C goals.  As long as the weather forecast stays as is, PR is a realistic goal I think.  If I miss but still go sub 1:30 I'll still be reasonably happy but I'm not sure there's much point having a B goal only 30 seconds slower than my main goal.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

watsonc123

Piwi - sorry, your week was awesome.

Steve - I think that means your B goal is 1:29:59

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Piwi - I name you king of inventive cross-training for this week.

Marky_Mark - so what other artists have a catalogue that deep?  I have to admit that I am lazy and just find a DJ set or a live concert rather than building my own playlist.

Steve - I hope all of you ills clear quickly - that's certainly a lot to deal with.

Watson - looking good for the half!

Flavio - I'm sorry you're still dealing with the aftermath of the marathon.  Re: Steve's comment - I have quite a few marathons in my legs and carry higher mileage than some on this thread.  And yet I don't recover particularly fast from them.  In my case, it's generally less about injuries from the marathon, and more about generalized fatigue that takes a while to pass.

My week:

45 miles running, 4 hours pool-running, a bit of arc-trainer work, and 1000 yards swimming.

M: 80 minutes pool-running and streaming yoga.
        T: 3 miles (11:28), an arc-trainer workout of 2x5 sets of 90 seconds very hard/30 seconds easy, and then 2 miles (9:41). Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
        W: 30 minutes pool-running and 7 miles easy (9:27), and then upper body weights/core.
        Th: 30 minutes pool-running and 9 miles with 8 hill repeats. Followed with leg strengthwork.
        F: 80 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core
        Sa: 20 minutes pool-running and then 14.5 miles progressive, split as first 5 miles averaging 9:36 pace, next 5 miles averaging 8:48 pace, and next 4.5 miles averaging 7:32 pace, and then leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
        Su: 9.5 miles very easy (9:42) plus drills and 4 strides, followed by streaming yoga.

I ended up swapping to the arc-trainer on Tuesday since I felt so unsteady outside.   I may do that again this week - I can go much harder on the arc-trainer than I can while running, and it's nice to get a satisfying hard workout in once in a while.

I experimented some the rest of the week. a) doing a session of pool-running before running outside results in a better run.  b) doing really deep sustained stretches for the calves, hamstrings, and quads, plus the yoga pose "hanging forward fold" (which stretches out the lower back) also seems to help a lot.   It is a royal pain to try to pool-run before running outside, so on Sunday I tried just doing the stretches pre-run.  I think that may be how I go until I figure out what's going on here.

The earliest the neurologist can see me remains my original appointment on November 9.  Which is annoying, but I'm trying to take comfort in that apparently they don't think I'm an urgent situation that needs to get in sooner or have other testing done.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Piwi - sorry, your week was awesome.

Too much Chris it doesn't sound sincere 😕 

Darkwave good week I hope you feel better soon.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

DW - you will remember I had a sense of instability for a few days back in August.

I never quite figure it out, and it returns at times, though much milder now.

My current theory is that it's related to something wrong in the back or neck.

You mentioned that stretching your back alleviates it a bit, does it make sense to go visit a PT for a session to maybe unblock your back, or check muscle tension in those muscles running at the side of your neck (from the trapeze to your ear)?

I guess it might be worth a shot while you wait for your majesty the doctor to dedicate a bit of time to your issue.

Jmac - you are having an incredible training block so far with that great 10k and now the half PR. Your marathon of 2h36 indicated a possible faster half.

I'm impressed, you've nailed down the training aspects, never going too far.

Piwi/Steve - I guess recovery is a very individual thing.

I've seen the guys on the sub 3 board are back on track like 1 or 2 weeks later, they just have a lot more longer base with weeks in the 70 to 80 mile range.

Whereas people like me and Mark have a lower base then try to raise the mileage simultaneously to adding hard marathon workouts, I think that's a key reason to getting burned out.

That and personal characteristics as well.

The fact is some of these people are freaks of strength/natural ability.

If you can earn a moose mug you're at least a one percenter.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi - I forgot to mention, I'm doing 3x12 reps with 30kg on the deadlift.

I'm sure as I increase weight the reps will go down as well.

My PR is 3x3 reps with 92kg, back in the glorious year of 2019 when I was training for the 1500 and hitting the weights more seriously

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

zebano

Oh my goodness this thread blew up. Anyways I have some suggestions on my strava that ya'll might be owed a Lady Gaga costume which is hilariously poorly timed as Halloween was yesterday. Anyways. I think you all saw but I wussed out on time trialing an 8k and paced a friend toward a sub-20 5k (she missed it but I ran 19:59.6 by GPS which is a damn good pacing job if I do say so myself). I just .. really really don't like time trials and frankly I'd spent about 3 days just dreading it which should have told me something. I'm different than many of you on here in that I think I actually like training more than I like racing though I can say that wasn't always the case. I'm going to hit these next two weeks hard, taper, race a Turkey Trot 5k and then probably shut it down for the year as I'm just not getting my usual enjoyment out of running.

A mere 37.5 miles

6x800 on Tuesday

5k in 19:59 on Saturday

Mark - I think the asterisk is way way more than sufficient for a PR.

My easy pace ... is getting too fast. I've run some sub 8 miles (sub 5 KMs for you metric people) and that works for a couple of miles but the HR inevitably shoots out of zone 2 if I keep it up. Unfortunately that's also the pace the pup loves to run and frankly I like running with her so I'll probably do a bit more of that but just try to stay more controlled the day before a workout.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Mark - Your easy pace is my "dead zone"!
                  Nice week, and interesting take on playlists. Out of curiosity, what headphones do you use?

Steve - Worse than dressage??? Them's fighin' words!
                  Good week despite not feeling well - you seem to be having a rough go of it lately. I would echo Mark's concerns about a concussion given your lingering symptoms.

Piwi - Bravo on both your week and bringing us back to running-related measures!

Watson - Here's hoping your half goes ahead - I'm looking forward to seeing that race result.

Flavio - Falling apart in your old age? Does your physio have a plan to help address all this? Enjoy that "no commitment" running.

DWave - Good week, and I'm glad to hear that you've found some pre-run work that helps things.

Zebano - I'm with you on really like the training portion of things. It's those blasted races that keep getting in the way of it!

I managed to get another big week out of the way. I'll have a slight reduction in miles this week, one more big one, and then it's all downhill to CIM from there!
                  My LR looked incredibly intimidating on the training plan, but honestly wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. That, along with my HR for the M effort portions being 7 bpm less than that of my marathon PR (max HR was just about in line with the average of my PR marathon) makes me think I could have/should have pushed harder.

ETA: Finally broke 400 miles for one month after missing it by less than 3 miles in September!

Weekly for period: From: 10/25/2021 To 10/31/2021

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                  in ft
                  10/25 6x 3,3,3 13.10 21.08 01:38:44 07:32 04:41 535
                  10/25 Stacking miles like cord wood 6.25 10.06 00:54:15 08:41 05:24 203
                  10/26 Slow train to recovery-ville 11.06 17.79 01:38:37 08:55 05:33 472
                  10/26 Caboose on the recovery train 4.10 6.60 00:37:15 09:05 05:39 180
                  10/27 2 rabbits 14.11 22.70 01:57:03 08:18 05:09 646
                  10/28 I'm just blown away by this weather 11.05 17.79 01:41:15 09:10 05:41 623
                  10/29 Texas and Kansas still working overtime, I see 11.16 17.95 01:35:27 08:33 05:19 404
                  10/29 There is something you must cut - Richmond 5.05 8.13 00:41:10 08:09 05:04 0
                  10/30 "The Big One". 15M w/ 2.5E on either side 20.11 32.36 02:27:00 07:19 04:33 702
                  10/31 2 runners 5.05 8.13 00:46:09 09:08 05:41 233

Total distance: 101.05mi

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

watson - Yeah I guess so.  I guess I'm hesitant because I don't want to give myself an out.  5 day forecast now has the dreaded Northeasterlies but hopefully they stay light in the morning as they usually do.  The max temp for the day is now down to 17C.  Excellent.

darkwave - Thanks, I'm starting to feel much better and it was never too bad.  Sorry to hear about your issues and the time it is taking, that's much more to deal with than what I've had.

zebano - Flavio is the final judge on this but that time may avoid the Gaga prize, but then the DNF could change that.

CK - If it was concussion it must have been mild.  A few good sleeps seem to have sorted it, stomach is back to normal and now it's just a very mild sore throat.  The Covid is behaving at the moment which means the race is still on although it has been detected in the wastewater in unexpected places.  I really think it's out there around town but symptoms are so mild that people aren't being tested.  Looks like you nailed the big one in another massive week.  Sub 3 is looking good.

Flavio - There are definitely some recovery freaks around here.

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Darkwave - sorry to hear about the ongoing challenges.  I hear you on the live playlists / mixes.  Until recently I just downloaded a bunch of DJ mixes and used that.  However given lockdowns I am currently blessed with a little more free time than normal.  The long run playlist works best when there's artists that maybe don't have any standout albums but do have 5-6 albums or more to pick from.  A lot of the artists that got started in the 1990's/2000's and have kept going are pretty fertile ground, so I'm thinking the likes of Alice in Chains, Crystal Method, Faith No More, Alter Bridge, Armored Saint are all going to be potential options.  I'm a sucker for a good b-side as well so I'll always try and slot some of those in.

Piwi - took my daughter to the beach here yesterday - water was surprisingly warm.  Back when I used to go wakeboarding with the family me used to wear wetsuits even in summer so maybe you are tougher than me haha.

Watson - agree with Piwi and Steve, 1:27 would be an excellent result given the disruption you've had this year.  As long as the wind stays away, it's a reasonable course though with some long flat stretches to hit a good rhythm.

Steve - I think you're on the right track with your goals there.  If I go in with a time goal (often I've gone in with the goal being 'just run') I'll tend to just go for one goal (and adjust it if needed based on weather etc.).  The Running Rogue guys suggested that having A, B and C goals can make things a little unclear and can put you in the mental trap of 'settling' for the B goal, which made a lot of sense to me.

Zebano - it sucks that you're not enjoying it as much at the moment... a break will probably help with that so your plan makes a lot of sense.

Flavio - I think you summed up the different marathon recoveries well.  The runners that are consistent mileage beasts likely have an easier time recovering than the likes of you and I.

Keen - I've got the Jabra Elite Active 75t.  They're excellent.  Genuinely waterproof and sweatproof (believe me, I've proved this claim to be wrong on a number of other headphones!), great sound quality, good battery life, apparently good for calls too if that's your thing.  I actually got them for "free" with some credit card rewards points.  The only minor issue I have is that the right earbud fits better than the left but I think my left ear must just be in between the various sizes of tip that they come with so that's my bad luck (and TBH I've only ever noticed it at the tail end of a long run on a wet day).  Anyway congrats on the 400 mile achievement, that's massive, and well done on that long run too, you should take a lot of confidence from that.

Races - the Owairaka guys are running a group 3000m TT next Saturday night that I'm going to have a crack at.  Last time I ran a 3000m as a year ago and frankly it was pretty disappointing as I was not in great shape after the marathon and really struggled towards the end.  Anyway should hopefully be a reasonable group to work with including some of my Takapuna clubmates, and being a TT there's no issue wearing VF's for track events haha.  Keen - goal is 9:15.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JamesD

JamesD

Steve - Good luck!  Glad to see the temperature forecast is looking better, but I’m sure you’ll be happy to get to race regardless.

Me - Last week was very frustrating, especially since the weather was in the 50s/10-15 and perfect for the long or tempo runs that I can’t do at the moment.  I had to cut Wednesday’s run short because of intense soreness, almost pain, in my upper left hamstring.  After my off (swimming) day, I was able to do two easy treadmill runs at the end of the week taking brief walk breaks after every 6 minutes of running, which is the sort of thing my PT had me doing when I was coming back from upper hamstring trouble late last year.  (For what it’s worth, last year’s trouble was more in the upper right hamstring.)  

The treadmill Gallowalking is certainly better than nothing, but I don’t expect to be able to get back to fast running in time for the November 5K or the half that I was looking at.  Now I’ve caught a sore throat/flu-type illness that DW had last week so will have a few more days off to get out of shape.  I expect I’ll just start base work again, hopefully getting in occasional strides and short tempos if the hamstrings will allow it, and think about races early next year.  I'll also shoot for keeping my 2021 mpw average over 40.  Good thing I had the good 5K a few weeks ago.

Sun - off

Mon - 6.2 miles in park @ 8:25

Tues - 6.2 very slow on treadmill (72 minutes)

Weds - 2.6 miles, stopped w/upper hamstring pain, first lap @ 8:22

Thurs - ~32 minutes swimming

Fri - 6.3 miles very slow on treadmill (73 minutes) + 0:40 walk after every 6:00

Sat - 7.3 miles very slow on treadmill (84 minutes) + 0:40 walk after every 6:00

Total - 28.6 miles, 32 minutes swimming

Rapidly declining YTD average - 42.3 mpw

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

watsonc123

James and Darkwave - sorry about your issues.

Keen - yikes that was a big month.  Your long run looks like you could go sub 3.  Do a good taper.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Zeb - sorry, you were too late to press the button so you’ve got to dress up. Also, we’re all curious to see Oreo Gaga

Keen - Yeah she did a deep massage on the back and a lot of passive stretching, which seemed to help a lot.

I’ll be going back there once a week now, cause there’s always something about to break down.

15 miles at MP sounds absurdly insane but it makes sense for you since you’re training to increase speed as you have infinite endurance.

Steve - you will likely beat your PR by 1 or 2 minutes, probably more. #nopressure

Mark - I’m excited to see how fast you can run the 3k. It’s a super fun race and you’re likely to run around 9:15.

James - yeah, it sounds like a week or 2 off of running would help you out right now, unless you need to keep running to keep sane.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve - you will likely beat your PR by 1 or 2 minutes, probably more. #nopressure

Haha.  I'm feeling really fit and confident but I was feeling the same way last year when I blew up.  I think it's all about executing the first 10km right, not too conservative but absolutely no faster than 1:30 pace.

2024 Races:

cinnamon girl

Marky Mark: have you checked out Chevelle's new album released this year? Highly recommend!