Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

Watson from where you were with injury this year I would say that's a great time.

Steve awesome. Savour those sub 1.30s as they are special. You ran a fantastic race.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Watson - agree with Piwi, that's a good time on that course given you've hardly had an ideal run of training this year, well done.  I see Brian Garmonsway put up a solid 1:12 in the half despite fading a bit at the end.

Steve - excellent job and congrats.  I commented on Strava about how consistent your pacing was, really impressive.  The wind would've been a net negative but good job finding someone to work with at least for a bit, that would've helped.  I think you may also have set a record for getting your RR up the quickest too!  Andy Good is a beast, pretty sure he's still younger than 40 and he's been a core member of UC's very good relay team for a number of years.  Anyways enjoy the bourbons!

James - congrats on the World Series.  I did always find that name amusing!

Me - biggest week of the year and felt good enough at the end of it to give it a bit of a nudge on today's long run.  Next week will be a bit lighter due to the 3000m "race" on Saturday, fingers crossed for good weather.

Weekly for period: From: 01/11/2021 To 07/11/2021

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
      in m
      01/11 That run where apparently it’s November 6.22 10.01 00:45:55 07:23 04:35 76
      02/11 That run where I had company for hill repeats 9.36 15.06 01:03:54 06:50 04:15 155
      03/11 That run where everyone said hello 9.33 15.01 01:03:04 06:46 04:12 110
      04/11 That run with the first Jonathan Drake sighting in quite some time 11.31 18.21 01:10:16 06:13 03:52 51
      04/11 That run with the first Greenhithe loop in ages 4.04 6.50 00:29:08 07:13 04:29 121
      06/11 That run where the magpies are taking over from the ducks 8.14 13.10 00:48:19 05:56 03:41 137
      07/11 That run where we took it back to the early 2000’s 16.36 26.33 01:52:29 06:53 04:16 289

Total distance: 104.22km

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

Mark - really nice week.  Brian was 7-8 minutes ahead of second place.

Steve - you did well.  One of the challenges with so many race cancellations is that it becomes less likely to get conditions that are ideal.

I am fairly happy with the race.  I was 9s quicker than last year, and my pacing was much better this year.

Conditions were not as good as forecast.  A little humid, a little on the warm side and more wind.  The last 7km with the false flat, had a slight headwind (nowhere near as bad as last year).

I also only had 3.5 hours sleep the night before, as I had an IT cutover which could only start midnight.

1:27:30 was very much an 'A' time.  Was hoping to run 'C' pace the first 8km and then speed up.  I just wasn't able to.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

JamesD

JamesD

Watson - Congratulations, sounds like you did very well under the circumstances.

Steve - Congratulations as well.  I'm sure you're delighted with the time and the effective pacing, as well as with just getting a race in.  (Are you the last person on the board to race this year?)  If you wind up close to a PR or other milestone, it always helps to be able to say honestly that you really couldn't have done much better.  In response to your second post, I have two shelves of baseball history books and had never heard of the New York World/World Series angle.  From what I can tell from some quick online checking, some people say there's a connection between the paper and the name but most historians disagree.  Even the ones who say there's a connection say it was related to a previous incarnation of series in the late 1800s and not the current one that started in 1903, though I guess if the name was associated with the earlier ones, it could have been adopted for the later ones as well without there being a formal connection with the paper.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Steve - popping by to say great job. As I mentioned on Strava, this is one of your better efforts recently (although you've been stuck with a lot of TTs). One thing I really liked about your RR was orange shirt guy. I liked that you had a negative feeling towards him, but then you two worked together. Its a good lesson for a lot of us running in packs: make sure you do your share of the work. Sometimes when you're the one in the back, its hard to say "okay, its my time to do some work." It sounds like you guys worked together and finding some completely random person to do that with is one of the greatest things about live races out there. Makes you feel good about humanity!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Thanks JMac.

I hate to ruin any of this, but I think I forgot to mention in the report that by the time we got to the headwind stretch the second time he’d fallen behind so we never got to work together. It was such a sparse race that it was impossible to find someone to work with on that stretch without altering the pace.

James - I think I might be (I don’t count the ChCh half which I ran at marathon pace as training for Wellington which obviously didn’t happen).

watson - Working until midnight is terrible before a race. I didn’t sleep well either but working is a whole new level.

Mark - Andy Good is in the 40-49 category now. So fast. Also forgot to say great week! 3 figures

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - popping by to say great job. As I mentioned on Strava, this is one of your better efforts recently (although you've been stuck with a lot of TTs). One thing I really liked about your RR was orange shirt guy. I liked that you had a negative feeling towards him, but then you two worked together. Its a good lesson for a lot of us running in packs: make sure you do your share of the work. Sometimes when you're the one in the back, its hard to say "okay, its my time to do some work." It sounds like you guys worked together and finding some completely random person to do that with is one of the greatest things about live races out there. Makes you feel good about humanity!

This is absolutely true.  I remember NZ Road Champs in 2018, I was in a pack of 3 and did exactly the same thing sharing the work with Adam Gallagher (who I barely knew at the time other than that he was also representing Auckland that day).  The third guy (think he was from Waikato) didn't take any of the workload, just about every time I see Adam we still have a laugh about that.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

Wairarapa Country Marathon (Half) RR

1:30:09
                  9th out of 49

https://www.strava.com/activities/6221946904

Early October each year, there is the Wairarapa Country Marathon which has a 5km, 10km, half and full.

However, this year, the Wellington event in June got postponed due to Covid-19 restrictions, to early October. And therefore, Wairarapa rescheduled for four weeks later.

November is not ideal for longer races due to the potential for it being hot as it's late spring. The other risk is a very strong northerly which makes the last 7km very

Wellington 2021 ended up not happening (this would have been Steve's marathon). As Wairarapa is a small event, it can happen under the current Covid-19 restrictions.

They cancelled the 5km this year due to managing Covid restrictions.

I've ran Wairarapa full in 2017 (slightly different course) and the half in 2020 (exact same course). The full is two laps of the half, except for a few small differences.

In 2020 I felt on track for 1:28, but then hit the final 7km false flat with a signficant head wind. I ran 1:30:18 according to my watch (not sure of official time).

I had a pretty good 8 weeks build up. After having a few injury issues the weeks before.

My 'A' aim was 1:27:30 which required everything to go right.

Due to injuries and lock-downs, from 2019 to 2021 (incl. this race) I've only raced four half's so I'm a little out of practice and haven't cracked sub 1:30.

The main challenge I had was that I ended up having to work to 2am the night before (from home) for a customers IT change which can only happen after midnight. The roll back time was 3am, so it went pretty well.

But that left me with 3.5 hours sleep the night before which wasn't ideal.

The wife is also running, so we got up 6am and leave about 6:50am.

It's about a 70 minute drive. The drive includes going over some ranges.

The forecast for Masterton (the town in Wairarapa) was very good, at around 14 Celcius with very light winds. It turned out to a be a little warmer and windier. Although for this time of year, I couldn't hope for much more.

It was very wet over the ranges on the drive there, but once I got to the flat of Wairarapa it was OK.

We got there about 40 minutes before. By the time I collected my bib and got changed, there was just enough time for warm up drills plus a warm up jog to the start line.

The full starts 1:45 before the half, so whilst we waited there were a few full runners that went past.

There was the standard brief, and then we start.

My 'A' plain was 4:14 pace for the first 8km, then 4:03 pace for the next 6km (this section is net downhill), and 4:08 pace for the remainder.

The first 6km pacing was exactly what I aimed for. Last years race I got a little excited early on, and was determined not to do this. I also had a club mate, Phil a little ahead of me that I expected to be doing 1:25 to 1:28 so I was careful to let him go.

I realized during this stage that the weather was not quite as good as I hoped for, a little warmer and windier. It was fairly humid. During this time there was 3-5 minutes of rain which was quite helpful.

As mentioned earlier, the conditions were 'B' conditions, so I'm not really complaining. I was just hoping that I could be really lucky and get 'A' conditions late spring!

At the 8km I realize I'm about 10s behind plan. The 8km was a little slower due to the first of the two small hills.

At this point, I realize that the 'A' time was not going to happen.

Somewhere around 10-11km I overtake a half racer. Excluding the marathon and 10km racers, this was the only person I overtook in the race. Excluding the first 50 metres of the race, no one overtook me.

The next person ahead of me is Phil who is slowly drifting away.

The 8km to 14km period averages 4:12km pace, original plan was 4:03km. I'm not in a position to quicken up. Although this period includes the second hill, which always feels harder than it looks on the map, it's net downhill.

I take my gel around the 12km to 13km mark, and take water at the next aid station, of which I drink a little and pour the rest on me.

The last 7km is a false flat with a total rise of 20m. Although not much, it is significant. Last year there was a really strong headwind. This year the forecast had it being crosswind although in reality is more like 45 degrees between head and cross wind.

Sub 1:30 is what I'm hoping for now.

Phil has drifted a bit further ahead.

The next km's are 4:14, 4:19, 4:22, 4:17 and 4:22.

There were a few cars going the opposite direction that went past rather quick and didn't give me much room, which was annoying. I made sure to give thumbs up to the courteous drivers.

My math thinks that 4:20 gets me just under 1:30. Of course this assumes alignment of my watch and the course. Given how few races there are it's pretty easy to run the tangents.

Also my watch normally reads shorter than other watches so it tends to be fairly good to estimate races.

The majority of the race is through country roads, but at around 19.5km it goes back into suburbia.

The 20km is 4:26, so I think sub 1:30 is gone now. I'll need a strong last 1.1km.

I've closed the gap on Phil, so although I'm fading, he's fading faster.

With about 800m to go I turn off the road and go under the bridge onto trail which goes to the finish line.

I'm not sure exactly how long to go, the trail by the river is a little windy so you don't see the finish line until quite late.  I'm hoping I can sneak sub 1:30, but it's unlikely.

I run past a few 10km runners at this point (their course is quite different).

It's just run as hard as I can and hope the finish is really soon.

I go over in 1:30:08 (my watch) which if 1:30:09 official. Phil had finished about 49s before me, I talk to him and find out he did have a big fade.

I also see another club member Brian and find out he easily won by about 8 minutes, with 1:12:something.

I have a few of the electrolyte drinks and then head back to the car. The athletics club that holds the event has a 200m running track (5 lanes only), a few people are running their cool down on it. So I do one lap, and whilst running it I realize it's bigger than I thought and is actually a full 400m track.

I then get changed and hurry back to the finish area, as my wife was also running, hoping for sub 2. At this point I'm hoping she hasn't done sub 1:55 as I'll have missed it. She finishes 3 minutes later in 1:58.

We then talk to a marathon finisher we know, and then we head back to the car for the drive home.

Although the time was a little slower, I'm fairly pleased as:
                  - This year has not been great. The 8 week lead up I'd definitely gotten quicker.
                  - The small races are harder than good size races (in NZ this  is 1000 for a half) as it's pretty much always running by yourself.
                  - I paced well. I'm much better off starting at 'C' goal pace, and then if I go well speeding up, and if not just trying to hold.
                  - With injuries, Covid restrictions, and terrible weather causing my ultra to be halved, this was the first 'A' race of the year. So it was really good it happened.
                  - The forum support. This course is actually net uphill 5m so if someone wants to normalize it to 1:29:59 then be my guest!

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

watsonc123

watson - Working until midnight is terrible before a race. I didn’t sleep well either but working is a whole new level.

It was to 2am.  The change window was to 3am, so it could have been worse.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

watson - I enjoyed your race report.  And yep, 2am makes it even worse.  I probably would have politely refused/rescheduled.  Great result for your wife.

If you get a clear run without crazy injuries, and a race on a nice course in autumn or winter, I have no doubt you'll get that A goal of 1:27.30.

2024 Races:

watsonc123

Thanks.

I thought about refusing the change.  But the project has not had many wins recently so it was important to do it.

How did you find the Endorphin Pro in your race.

I raced in them and found them really good.

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

DW - LOL, I wouldn’t know, no gaga for me yet except for that photoshop from Piwi. I guess it counts as Gaga costume though if I can't run sub 40 😎

Mikkey - Well considering superman could finish the race with 2 giant leaps, 38 minutes is super slow.

Steve - Super congratulations on going sub 1:30. So annoying coming so close to the PR but you got your sub 90 after a super long training block.

Mark - I think it’s just me pacing my brother in 2019 in the superman costume and you running with that fairy skirt once. 

Piwi - Got it, I’ll make sure to wear super tight lycra pants!

James - Ugh, sorry to hear about the cold but I guess it got you the break you needed.

Watson - Ugh, so close!

me - I had a very nice run on Tuesday, I felt really great and packed in quite a bit of elevation, also first pain free run after the marathon.

But then caught a cold and had to skip Thursday and Saturday. It's weird, I just get a super swollen throat making it hard to swallow and a headache.

Then got out there again today planning to run 10km but cut it short as I'm not 100% recovered from the cold yet.

On the bright side I've got the strength training sessions in and those are helping.

Weekly for period: From: 01/11/2021 To 07/11/2021

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                          in m
                          02/11 Morning Run 4.54 7.31 00:37:28 08:15 05:08 142
                          07/11 Morning Run 3.01 4.85 00:23:40 07:52 04:53 26

Total distance: 12.16km

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Flavio - Thanks, yeah it's about time.  I've been posting on the sub 1:30 thread for 3.5 years so I'm really happy to finally achieve it.

Watson - I didn't really notice them for most of the race, which I guess is a good sign.  On the last lap going downwind when I lifted my effort to bank time knowing there was a long headwind stretch coming up, I felt them helping me for the first time.  I think JMac has said similar before about racing shoes, that you really feel the benefit when it gets tough towards the end.

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Watson - yikes, that early morning at work would not have helped, especially then having to drive over the Rimutaka's to get to the race as well. I agree with Steve, if you get some good consistent training over summer you could target something in autumn.  Good RR, it's nice to have some RR's to read on here!

Steve - that was exactly my experience the first time I raced in the Next%'s.  I really noticed them with a few km to go when my legs were tired but I was still able to work and hang on to the same pace.

Flavio - urgh, bummer on the cold.

Me - the forecast looks pretty garbage for Saturday (warm, windy and quite possibly wet).  Oh well that's still five days away so a lot could change.  Either way it's only 7.5 laps!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

darkwave

Mother of Cats

James - you are having a hard time. I hope things improve.
                                Steve - great job and great race report.
                                Watson - I'm sorry about 9 lousy seconds! I think having to do the IT cutover definitely made a difference.
                                Marky_Mark - I hope the wind and the rain fade from that forecast; I would think the heat might be not that bad for a 3K race.

Flavio - I hope you feel better soon!

60 miles running, 3 hours pool-running, a bit of arc-trainer work, and 1500 yards swimming.

M: 80 minutes pool-running, upper body weights/core, and 3.5 miles (10:18) plus drills/strides.
                                T: 4.5 miles (9:54), an arc-trainer workout of 3x4 sets of 90 seconds very hard/30 seconds easy (took an extra 60 seconds recovery between sets), and then 3 miles (9:45). Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
                                W: 10 miles very easy (10:02), drills/strides, and streaming yoga.
                                Th: 1:40 minutes pool-running and 2 miles very easy (10:05), plus drills/strides and then upper body weights/core. Followed with leg strengthwork.
                                F: 11 miles, including 8 Iwo Jima hill repeats; followed with with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
                                Sa: 8 miles on treadmill (9:59), streaming yoga, and 3.5 miles (10:06) plus drills/strides.
                                Su: 14.5 miles progressive, split as the first 5 miles averaging 9:55, next 5 miles averaging 8:48, and the next 4.5 miles averaging 7:42. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.

Still in a holding pattern until I figure out what is going on (I get some Neurologic testing done this Tuesday). One positive is that I seem to be working out of my wobbliness a bit quicker now than I did.

As I've mentioned before, I'm only really "training" right now because a) this appears to be neurologic, and rest can make neurologic stuff worse and b) I want to be able to report regularly on how I feel. My hope is that some time soon I'll get some sort of answer, and then I'll be able to map out my future racing plans.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.