Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Bother. DD3 is sick with a (wet/productive) cough. No other symptoms than generally feeling a bit crummy. She does, however, seem to enjoy getting extra attention.

The rest of the family and I are all feeling fine (thus far), but it's a challenge to not read in to my slightly elevated HR-for-pace the past few days as a sign that I'm about to get crushed by super-bronchitis or something in the couple weeks before CIM!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

CK - That sucks, hopefully nothing comes of it.  When you first started referring to "DD" I tried to work out what it meant and settled on "direct descendant"...I think I was having one of my non-Occam's Razor days.  I really hope these issues for our CIM reps all resolve very soon.

Mark - Hopefully they space things out nicely and things don't end up crammed in like it ended up in October/November...although all but one of those ended up cancelled anyway.

I had an appointment with my coach last night and while I was keen to not have my usual steep recovery after a race since I've pulled up much better, he's put the foot down and it will be a very light 2 weeks.  Partly because it's still my injury risk time, I've had a very long training block and I'm about to head into another large training block so he wants me to freshen up mentally and physically.  And yes, he's right so I'll run on my usual days but very slowly and only 30-40 minutes.  The plan is to be itching to go again after a couple of weeks.

We also talked about my plan for next year.  I've still got a Wellington entry (originally for the full which I downgraded to the half for the new date) which is going to be 8-10 weeks after the Christchurch marathon (Wellington date TBC).  He said if I want to have a real crack at a PB in the half, I'm better off forgetting Wellington and looking at something a bit later in the year and again he's right.  So I don't think I'll go to Wellington next year and likely will target the South Island half on August 7.

As much as it sucks for Queenstown to be cancelled, I think I am better off not doing another race next week even if it was going to be at easy-ish pace.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

CK - That sucks, hopefully nothing comes of it.  When you first started referring to "DD" I tried to work out what it meant and settled on "direct descendant"...I think I was having one of my non-Occam's Razor days.  I really hope these issues for our CIM reps all resolve very soon.

Mark - Hopefully they space things out nicely and things don't end up crammed in like it ended up in October/November...although all but one of those ended up cancelled anyway.

I had an appointment with my coach last night and while I was keen to not have my usual steep recovery after a race since I've pulled up much better, he's put the foot down and it will be a very light 2 weeks.  Partly because it's still my injury risk time, I've had a very long training block and I'm about to head into another large training block so he wants me to freshen up mentally and physically.  And yes, he's right so I'll run on my usual days but very slowly and only 30-40 minutes.  The plan is to be itching to go again after a couple of weeks.

We also talked about my plan for next year.  I've still got a Wellington entry (originally for the full which I downgraded to the half for the new date) which is going to be 8-10 weeks after the Christchurch marathon (Wellington date TBC).  He said if I want to have a real crack at a PB in the half, I'm better off forgetting Wellington and looking at something a bit later in the year and again he's right.  So I don't think I'll go to Wellington next year and likely will target the South Island half on August 7.

As much as it sucks for Queenstown to be cancelled, I think I am better off not doing another race next week even if it was going to be at easy-ish pace.

Typically I mean "dear daughter" (specifically my 3rd/youngest one), but if she gets me sick and ruins nearly a year of training in the process she may well be demoted to "direct descendent #3".

Sounds like your coach has a good view from 30,000' (9144m) from which to plan some long-term training and racing. This reminds me that I need to talk to mine regarding what happens after CIM and to run a stupid idea past him...

Upcoming Races:

zebano

Dry needling - I've never tried it, but have given it some serious thought. I mostly haven't tried it yet as I just haven't had the opportunity.

Keep on keeping on. I cannot tell you how jealous I am of your health. Better to be crushed by bronchitis now than a week before the important race but you know it's probably just fatigue from the 23 miler.

Mark  good luck with the 3k, a full rack season sounds like a lot of fun. Try not to break any ribs on those flying elbows.

Steve that's why we have coaches isn't it. We'd probably just race all the races.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Marky_Mark_17

Keen - would it be weird for you to walk around your house in a full biohazard protective suit?  At this point I think you have to consider that as an option.

Steve - I think your coach is pretty sensible on both the recovery front and the half next year.  The body seems to recover a lot faster after race efforts in the new super shoes but it's still not worth risking anything when you've got so much decent work in the bag.  As for the half next year... well twice I've raced halves a couple of months after marathons and neither of them have gone very well (one gave me an ITB injury) so I think picking something later in the year is a good idea.  You could consider Dunedin again - I think I remember you saying the South Island course was partly on gravel?  With any luck by that point we should be able to have a bit more confidence in events going ahead!

Zebano - cheers.  Quite a few of my club mates doing it so with any luck we can get a protective phalanx going haha.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

zebano, Keen yep, it's amazing how all it takes is someone external to make you realise what you really should be doing.  CK - that downgrade is hilarious.

Mark - Yeah I'm thinking South Island or Dunedin.  The first 2km of each of the 3 laps is on gravel and some of it isn't very fine so it's a bit tricky.  Having said that, I did 1:32 in 2018 on very disrupted training so it's still a fast course.  Some of the paths are a bit narrow which isn't good with walkers on the last lap.  Dunedin isn't quite as flat although not far off.  I do like the idea of a short drive rather than a flight.

2024 Races:

watsonc123

I ran my first sub 1:30, three weeks after my first full.  I had recovered fine.

Although I am fairly unusual in that my recovery from a race 30 minutes or longer, is roughly one week.  So my recovery from a 10km is quite similar to a marathon.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Watson - It's possible I could run a good half-marathon 3 weeks after a full but definitely not my best and I think the same for 2 months.  There's no real reason to rush things just because I have an entry carried over, and the weather is a bit more reliable at Lake Hood or even Dunedin than Wellington.  That's a great effort to back up your marathon with your first sub 1:30...suggests maybe you were in 1:25-26 shape.

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Watson - that's really impressive.  I felt fine after my first but must've pushed it too fast too soon as that was when I ended up with ITB problems.

Steve - great result in the cricket overnight!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark - I caught the last 10 overs.  I'm not enough of a T20 fan to be up at 3am.  Neesham swung the momentum, the predictor had us at 7% chance to win and within one over it was up to 56%.  I don't like the talk of avenging 2019 - nothing with avenge that injustice.

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Mark - I caught the last 10 overs.  I'm not enough of a T20 fan to be up at 3am.  Neesham swung the momentum, the predictor had us at 7% chance to win and within one over it was up to 56%.  I don't like the talk of avenging 2019 - nothing with avenge that injustice.

Yeah I'm with you there.  T20 always struck me as the ADHD version of ODIs anyways.  But the consistency from this NZ team across format is fantastic to see.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

I watched the whole game.

I was not expecting the win during the first 16 overs of the chase.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Running Problem

Problem Child

Bother. DD3 is sick with a (wet/productive) cough. No other symptoms than generally feeling a bit crummy. She does, however, seem to enjoy getting extra attention.

The rest of the family and I are all feeling fine (thus far), but it's a challenge to not read in to my slightly elevated HR-for-pace the past few days as a sign that I'm about to get crushed by super-bronchitis or something in the couple weeks before CIM!

How does this compare to when you ran Dallas (or was it Houston) or the other (Oklahoma?) marathon where you had a real chance at going sub 3 and the illness took over? Didn’t you start feeling sick 2 weeks before race day? CIM is a month out so go get around her a lot and tempt fate. I thought the kids were sick much closer to race day than 3+ weeks out in the past.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Zebano - Thanks. The health thing is something I've put a massive emphasis on for the past few years, but really stepped it up (primarily via diet) about a year ago and I'm quite thankful for it all.

Mark - Don't tempt me! The girls may think I'm a bit weird for doing it, but then again they already think I'm a bit off so what's the harm?

RP - Before Dallas (Ft. Worth was the other Texas marathon) I had zero indication that I was sick at all - I really thought DD2 and I had dodged the stomach bug that went through the family. I *should* have known what it was when my stomach turned around mile 20, but I attributed my overall decline in that race to going out too fast in weather that was much warmer and more humid than I had seen in 4 months.
                              There have been other races I've skipped because I got sick just a few days before, and other races that sucked because I got really sick 7-10 days out and hadn't fully gotten back to "normal" even though the illness had completely passed.

My workout this morning didn't feel bad at all, but was a good deal slower than I would have thought.

I'm assuming the Kiwis are talking about crickets. Or croquet. Or wicketing crickets with flat bats. Or something. Go team!

Upcoming Races:

Marky_Mark_17

I'm assuming the Kiwis are talking about crickets. Or croquet. Or wicketing crickets with flat bats. Or something. Go team!

It's that game that has 3 versions and we are the best in the world at the version that takes 5 days to finish which only like 6 or 7 countries are any good at.

I tested out the Hoka Rincon 2 this morning.  The Saucony Kinvara has been my staple shoe for like 4 years now but the 12's are just way too firm for everyday use (like, racing flat firm), and the only time I've felt comfortable in them has been track workouts.  Picked up a pair of the Rincon 2's cheaply (since the 3 is out) and was actually pleasantly surprised.  I wasn't wild about the upper (which has been significantly improved in the 3) but overall a pretty decent lightweight ride which was exactly what I was looking for.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"