Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Jmac why do they need to keep people away from the owl? I thought COVID 19 would be enough to keep people a safe distance apart. Are they afraid someone would scare the owl away, or just worried about youtube videos of people fighting over their chance to take a selfie with the owl?

subtitles My wife uses them. I don't. I turn the volume up. Also, Flavio...bummer on the back.

cats I got my wife pregnant to get rid of ours. It had an attitude like me, liked to be left alone, and knew it wasn't allowed on the couch. It was nicknamed "shitty kitty" and was my sister in laws. As soon as she had a traveling nurse contract 30 minutes away she was given the cat "because it's your cat not mine and we were supposed to watch it while you were away. You aren't away or traveling anymore when you signed a 1 year contractor "

running this week it isn't happening. Two days of snow/rain mix on top of a TON of work, and a 6 hour training session. I'm ready to eat as though it was post marathon. I want to eventually start doing my TRX again. The problem is my motivation to do it is actually less than a 1 on a scale from 0 to 100.

Mick weather in tahoe isn't TOO hot during summer. I think they hit the 80s. Where I'm at it gets to 100 pretty often in summer. It's miserable. I hate the heat.

steve sorry about the mom. Mine is a "closet" smoker and has been in the closet for about three decades. Everyone knows she smokes. I'm waiting for her to get some kind of smoking related illness and blame her diet. Similar to my mother in law blaming her high aluminum levels on Trulys and she switched to White Claws (still in an aluminum can) because of it.

resting heart rate I use to track it, and then I stopped caring. It's under 60 when I'm not in shape and closer to 50 when I'm in great shape. I can usually tell when I'm in shape.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Our cats know I wake at 5am so help me wake up so I feed them 

I did some work for the vets this week so recouped some of the money I spent on our sick cat recently.

The heat has been getting to them recently

Yes I know we need new carpet 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

zebano

Piwi It's funny you should mention sleep. I feel run down and I have a sinus infection but I think i got to this point because my sleep habits of regularly getting 7.5 hours (arguably not enough) slipped. Take care of yourself! Also 123 HR 👀. Impressive.

Flavio  It's hard for me to say anything about how non-natives enjoy music but I've always been more about the melody than the lyrics myself. I also had a 5 year phase where I was big into anime it it was downright looked down upon to watch the dubbed versions so everyone watched the originals with subtitles (hah! I see Keen agrees). Some of the music in those was really catchy too, occasionally with really strange smatterings of english in a song that was otherwise all Japanese. and no, life doesn't exist below absolute zero Wink  I think we had this discussion last year but I'm seeing people liking KMFDM and Rammestein so I have to ask is anyone into Nightwish?

JTReeves I've no cats but my pup does love to bump into me. I think she just enjoys physical contact but it's really annoying when you walk. I've had to tell her "stop", "stay" before going down the stairs.

Piwi How do you keep the cats off of the bean bag chair?

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Darkwave - is life back to boring normal in your neighbourhood?

Massive long run by the way.

Belated answer - the....concerning people....seem to have left the hotel around the corner from my house, so that's nice.

OTOH, here's some current videos from my favorite 3 mile loop where I like to tempo and do MP workouts....

(BF just texted me to make sure I had no plans to go running there this afternoon)

Lydia DePillis on Twitter: "Anybody know who these guys are, mustering on hains point right now? Military formation, upside down US flags, circular shields? https://t.co/1YX8fV9o1X" / Twitter

I have to give them grudging credit - it has to be miserable to be down there right now - it's below freezing and very windy.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Lydia DePillis on Twitter: "Anybody know who these guys are, mustering on hains point right now? Military formation, upside down US flags, circular shields? https://t.co/1YX8fV9o1X" / Twitter

I have to give them grudging credit - it has to be miserable to be down there right now - it's below freezing and very windy.

Looks like a peaceful protest compliant with social distancing and mask requirements to me. I'd be less concerned about those guys than the peaceful protests just three months ago where it seemed like everyone in the group had a camera out.

I might skip the long run, and running all together this week. Just kinda fried from the week, the snow has turned to the melted/icee/slurpee/slush mess that makes my feet get wet, making them cold, and making running very much not a thing I want to do at such an early hour. Plus I might need to get a few more things done around the house before a new child arrives.

EDIT: for those who follow the cycling world, and heard about a group doing a covid 19 ride it's being investigate more.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Piwi: Great pic, those are happy looking cats!

Rune: "Chirping" is a good word to describe the noise a cat can make. One of ours is very vocal but not with meows; he makes a lot of those chirping noises in succession. The happier he is, the more he chirps.

zebano: Our youngest dog (2 yrs) is like that; he always rushes ahead and cuts across down stairs. He's also the one who senses when I am awake in the morning and walks over (he sleeps on the bed with us) puts his head 1cm from my face and licks me till I surrender and get up. This is the guilty party:

Image may contain: dog

2:52:16 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

)  I think we had this discussion last year but I'm seeing people liking KMFDM and Rammestein so I have to ask is anyone into Nightwish?

Hadn't heard of Nightwish - looks like they are metal.  I'm personally not much of a metal head (my sig other is). I'm more of an industrial/aggrotech/powernoise/EBM person, supplemented heavily with house, techno, and synthpop.  So KMFDM, Tactical Sekt, Nitzer Ebb, Front 242, etc.   I'm basically into rhythms.

JTReeves - we also have chirps.  And squees. And all sorts of other vocalizations.  One of ours literally sounds like a feline Fran Drescher.

We don't have much in the way of standard meows, though.  Our cats are all defective.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

zebano

Nate Jenkins goes on a rant about building your aerobic house! 

He's a very fun listen, though I'm not sure there's anything truly new there. He think people need to slow down on their easy runs and he thinks alternations are great but he's got some personality so if you need a podcast, give it a listen.

JTReeves - That's a cute pupper, hopefully he's a good running buddy.

Darkwave - Yes, I refer to them as them symphonic metal, a category a few other bands have occasionally filled and I first discovered with Metallica's S&M album. In many ways, I think they're the band I thought Evanescence was until someone did it better.

RP  I agree (it looks a little weird with the shields) a peaceful protest gets a thumbs up. I'm not sure I'd go running by them if I knew they were around. I'm of the opinion that if you're fried, you should focus on stress and quality of life and putting running on hold until things improve (unless you're fried because you have a goal race in 3 weeks in which case, buckle down and finish up your big workouts so you can taper).

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

JT nice looking dog 🐕.  Looks like I've started a pet photo theme 

Zebano the cats don't stay off the beanbags. Sometimes when its hot though they just crash wherever.

Nice dog!!!

Piwi,my cat does the same, 5 am everyday gets me out of bed . It's my new alarm 😂

Things are still nor great for me. I'm managing to run just about more than 30 miles, but it takes me ages to recover from anything above 7 miles or faster than 5 min mile. Partially I am putting this down to lack or training and weight gain, but I'm always tired and different than I used to be (feels like I became lazy sleepy after may last year... I don't recognize my body. It's strange.) And with covid it's almost impossible to get routine check ups...

But I'm healthy after all, cannot complain

I'll keep up this low/medium mileage relaxed pace for a while and hopefully I'll manage to get test and discover that I need iron or something stupid like that Wink

Hope you all enjoy the weekend!

Marco

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

Marco i hope you can find out whats causing your low energy. Good job on keeping up the base mileage in the meantime.

My week

Weekly for period: From: 25/01/2021 To 31/01/2021

Date Name Distance
                        in km
                        Duration Avg Pace
                        per km
                        Elevation Gain
                        in m
                        25/01/2021 Morning Run with 6x800m 14.05 01:05:42 04:41 9
                        26/01/2021 Morning Run 12.02 01:04:31 05:22 13
                        27/01/2021 Morning Run 12.03 00:52:57 04:24 8
                        28/01/2021 Morning Run 12.01 01:04:27 05:22 6
                        29/01/2021 Lunch Run with Grayson 11.20 00:54:37 04:53 4
                        30/01/2021 Morning Run with Jacques 12.41 01:01:08 04:56 7
                        31/01/2021 Morning Run with Phil and Jacques 21.13 01:45:23 04:59 11

Total distance: 94.84km

JamesD

JamesD

Got outside twice again this week but enjoyed the treadmill to avoid the cold on the other days.  Quad was sore on the outdoor runs, but a little less than last week.  Sunday’s run was encouraging, as I held a steady (not fast, but harder than easy/recovery) effort the whole way for the first time since October and didn’t fade.  Legs were tired Monday but ok Tuesday.  Today I borrowed my son’s Apple Watch to see how my heart rate was doing on the treadmill and was pleased that it was between 110 and 130 bpm the whole way, even when I was going at a steady pace.  The watch also said I went 11.5 miles, but that seemed high, as it felt slower/easier than an 8:35 average pace.  My aerobic conditioning seems pretty good (maybe I should start swimming again on off days), but I need to get outside more and strengthen my legs so that the multiple sore spots improve before I can think about any faster running.  Racing is still well over the horizon.

Was not happy with this morning’s mail.  Our son got another recruiting letter from a university, while I got one from an old folks home.  To aggravate the insult, it wasn’t addressed to Mr. & Mrs. or Resident, but specifically to me, with huge lettering (so us elderly recipients can read it without our glasses) saying “WE NEED YOU”.  

Sun - 9.6 miles steady in park @ 8:28, R quad sore

Mon - 6.2 slow in park, legs tired, R quad sore

Tues - about 11 miles treadmill (1:39 faster than 9:00 effort), R quad a little sore

Weds - off

Thurs - 11 TM, L knee & R glute sore  

Fri - 11 TM, legs not as sore

Sat - 11 TM, legs not bad

Total - about 59.6 miles worth of time/effort - 5th straight week over 50

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Marky_Mark_17

Darkwave - I'm mostly a rock and metal guy but I like some electronic stuff.  I've been listening to a lot of breakbeat mixes on my runs lately, the steady (but not fast) beat is perfect for a cruisy long run and when they're well DJed it keeps it really varied and interesting.  I like some drum and bass but it would probably make me run too fast on those longer runs tbh.

Piwi - man you are logging some consistently solid weeks.  You will be in great shape for autumn races if you can keep it up.

JT - that is one cute doggo!! Couldn't be mad at that for waking you up for long.

Marco - sucks on those low energy levels.  It really takes the fun out of it tbh.  I hope it picks up for you soon.

James - that's some aggressive and rude marketing!  Not what I would describe as ethical.  Solid week.

Me - good week of running, weird week of weather.  Really humid in the first half of the week, but great running conditions over the weekend with cooler temps and clear skies.  I'll probably take it a bit easier next week just to let the last few weeks sink in, but it feels like some good progress happening.  Loving the Fenix 6 Pro too, the bigger screen is great and it has lots of other cool stuff I'll probably use like 3 times and then forget about like pulse oximetry.

Date Name Distance
                            in km
                            Duration Avg Pace
                            per km
                            Elevation Gain
                            in m
                            26/01/2021 That run where It’s Tricky dominated shuffle 15.05 01:06:33 04:25 80
                            27/01/2021 That run with the yoga paddleboarder and the nervous rollerskater 16.01 01:03:36 03:58 23
                            28/01/2021 That run where I climbed the ladder through the humidity into the pain cave three times 16.07 01:04:48 04:02 29
                            30/01/2021 That run where the new Fenix 6 turned out to be way more accurate on the track 13.16 00:50:16 03:49 110
                            31/01/2021 That run where Kauri Rd was a hedgehog graveyard 30.01 02:14:04 04:28 303

Total distance: 90.31km

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

James - I’d have no idea LOL. Samba and nearly everything pertaining to Rio and others states North of there have always been foreign to me.

Darkwave - to be honest if I saw that I’d think they were making a movie or something.

Zeb - I did enjoy Nightwish a few years ago when Tarja was around, never heard bout them anymore.

I tend to listen to all kinds of things, but I usually stick to songs (not artists nor genres).

This could be my playlist on any day. I can already hear the cringes and groans from everybody in disgust. Especially

MARCO83

with the mention of Jimmy Fontana.

Nicky Jam - El Perdón

Rammstein  - Ich Will

Zaz - Si jamais j’oublie

Hannes Wader - Sag mir wo die Blumen sind

Dry - Ma Melodie

Eisbrecher - Vergissmeinnicht

Macy Gray - I try

Josh Turner - Long black train

Purple disco machine - Hypnotized

Gangsta paradise - Coolio

Bad boys blue - I wanna hear your heartbeat

J-AX & Fedez - Vorrei ma non posto

Jimmy fontana - Il mondo

Roberto Carlos - O portão

Legiao Urbana - Que país é esse

Soda Stereo - Musica ligera

Alyans - Na Zare

Mr President - Coco Jambo

After all that rambling, here's my poor week. Injured my lower back on Monday (sacroillyac again), had to stay all day in bed.

Then by the end of Tuesday I had injured my upper back around the scapula due to staying all day in bed the previous day.

Then I managed a couple of short runs and got some cold like symptoms.

Finally managed a semi-decent run today.

I need to learn to scale back my training. The runs seem to be well adjusted but I need to learn to scale the runs back if the strength training increases in volume.

Date Name Distance
                              in km
                              Duration Avg Pace
                              per km
                              Elevation Gain
                              in m
                              27/01/2021 Slowly coming back. Systems seem ok but don't wanna push it 3.98 00:20:02 05:02 23
                              28/01/2021 Morning Run 7.93 00:40:00 05:03 29
                              29/01/2021 Morning Run 4.55 00:23:00 05:03 29
                              31/01/2021 Morning Run 12.19 00:59:41 04:54 46

Total distance: 28.65km

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Piwi - close to 100K again!  And I loved the picture of the cats sacked out on the floor.

Marco - I am sorry that you continue to struggle - I hope you can get answers or it eases.

James - funny story about the letter!

Marky_Mark - I have no idea how people run to DnB - it's such uneven music.  I like my 4/4 beat.  It's good to see good progress!

Flavio - I'm really sorry about your back issues - seems like you are stuck in a bad cycle.  I hope you can break it soon.  As for your music - I recognize two of those tracks.

+++

My week:

PRs 5:25/18:51/38:56/1:02:28/1:24:08/2:57:42
                                Goal races: ??? Athens (Ohio) Marathon on April 18.
                                Goal times: 18:30 for 5K, 1:23Tight lippedx for half, sub-2:55 for full

28 miles, 500 yards swimming, and 3:30 hours of pool-running

M: 50 minutes pool-running and streaming yoga.
                                T: 10 miles easy on treadmill (9:00) and upperbody weights/core.
                                W: 12 miles including a road workout of 3x2 miles in 13:17 (6:35/6:42); 13:16 (6:42/6:34); 13:12 (6:40/6:32) with 5 minutes jog between each. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
                                Th: 50 minutes pool-running and streaming yoga.
                                F: 50 minutes pool-running and streaming yoga.
                                Sa: 1 hour pool-running and upper body weights/core.
                                Su: 6 miles very easy on treadmill (9:08) and streaming yoga.

About halfway through the week, I decided to take a break and stop my marathon training cycle. My goal marathon - Myrtle Beach - was postponed to May 1. And over the last 2 weeks I just haven't been responding to my training the way I would like. Sometimes you feel your body absorbing and responding to the training; at other times you feel like Teflon - the work just slides off of you. I've been feeling like the latter, so it was time to reboot.

So I took a few days of pool-running and junk food eating to reset. Now I'm easing back into running, and shifting to some hills and tempo work, which I'll do for a bit before shifting to a short cycle for Athens.