Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DW - I think everything you described fits under the dangerous category, including crime. I tried running one workout in 165 KP this summer and had to stop after a few reps as I really felt my heart straining, something I only feel when it's that hot out. Or staying on the TP for a long run because you literally cannot stay hydrated enough during the run to complete the run, something else that hits me throughout the summers. I also skipped one run when the remnants of a hurricane were in NYC. The pouring rain didn't bother me, nor the huge wind. But there was no way I was stepping foot in Central Park and taking a chance that a tree fell on me.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I do want to add the following:  there is no moral high ground in running in unpleasant weather.  Just as there's no moral high ground in running at all. 

(I think there's a tendency for all runners, including myself, to sub-consciously map our worth as a person to our choices in running.)

Just realize that if there's a chance that you will race in certain weather conditions, you will benefit from running in those conditions in training, and you lose out on valuable training if you don't take advantage when the opportunity presents itself.  Every tempo in windy conditions gives you a chance to practice adjusting your effort for a head/tail/side wind, for example.  Running in cold rain lets you figure out what clothing choices work best for that weather.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I do want to add the following:  there is no moral high ground in running in unpleasant weather.  Just as there's no moral high ground in running at all. 

There is definitely moral high ground though running on a treadmill and not watching TV. Makes you strong as ox.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

There is definitely moral high ground though running on a treadmill and not watching TV. Makes you strong as ox.

I listen to music on mine.  I am weak as tissue paper.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Markey Mark FSY! Actually any of the Detroit Red Wings. #SanJoseSharks Also it's not Steve Yzerman. It's Steve. YYYYYYYYYYYIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIZZZZZZZZEERRRRRRRRRRRMAAAAAANNNNNNNNN, at least when I say it.

JMac You might enjoy an outershell. I bought a hooded one from REI. WONDERFUL. Thin, waterproof, velcro wrists, vents from elbow to rib on each side with sippers, and zippered hand pockets. In general, I'm probably SLIGHTLY more inclined to run in cold than hot. I'm just not built for hot weather. Still, I agree, there is a balancing act. It's like when I asked "why run in a tank top with arm warmers?" Layers buddy. Lay. errs.

Darkwave Gusts are the worst. I can mentally get out and deal with a 20 mph constant wind, but when the 30+ mph gust comes through and physically moves me in a direction. OOOOFFFFF! Actually, I think commanderkeen recently said he used the "what are you going to do on race day when it's like this?" rule/standard to get off the treadmill. I don't know how you, even with a nice super expensive treadmill, run on a treadmill.

stevechch does your area get snow that melts by lunch/end of business day, then freeze into ice overnight? It happens here frequently. Other times it will snow, melt and freeze to ice chunks, then snow a LITTLE BIT on top so it LOOKS like lots of powder but it's really an inch of powder on top of 3" of ice.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

stevechch does your area get snow that melts by lunch/end of business day, then freeze into ice overnight? It happens here frequently. Other times it will snow, melt and freeze to ice chunks, then snow a LITTLE BIT on top so it LOOKS like lots of powder but it's really an inch of powder on top of 3" of ice.

It's pretty rare but when it does happen, it's pretty treacherous.  A few years ago at night I put my foot into the middle of a shallow puddle I assumed was water but it was frozen and I thought I was about to slip backwards and smack my head but luckily I stopped sliding in time.

More interesting chats over on sub 3 about net downhill courses...I think I want all PBs to be on flat courses for a few reasons.

1.  For me, I lose more on up hills than I gain on the down hill.

2.  Down hills smash my legs to pieces.

3.  It's just not worth the hassle on this forum

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Marathon April 21, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

watsonc123

Keen - congrats on the PR.

Running in rain is something I deal with a bit.  Although it's generally a bit warmer than what Steve stated, it's more like 40F to 60F in those conditions.  The rain can be extreme.

Sorry I've been AWOL, just been very busy.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

watsonc123

Mark - nice 3000m (I might have already mentioned that).

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

zebano

Does rule 1 actually apply to a tune up race? I mean if you've got new race shoes a short tune up race is really the ideal place to try them out. I think I wore my endorphin pros for the first time at a 5k.

30mph wind gusts are my bane but I'd still rather run in this nonsense (including the 37, windy and sleeting I had last week) than hot and humid summer temps where I just cannot regulate my temperature. I found a vest at goodwill a few years back that was amazing in the wind, it just cut that nonsense out and kept my core warm, however I lost some weight since and haven't found one that properly replicates that level of wind blocking without causing me to overheat. I've considered shelling out for Gore tex name brand stuff since but just can't bring myself to pull the trigger when layering up is good enough to get me out the door.

DW - That sucks that crime is such a deterrent. I know it's different as a guy and living in a small midwest city but I've always considered that pre-dawn morning time to be the safest around town just because no one else is around. I can see that being different in a real city. You might be losing toughness by listening to music on your treadmill but you're getting it all back (and then some) with that damn pool running. I have no idea how you do that.

Speaking of stupid conditions, my club had people run in the "Polar Vortex" of -30F and 20mph winds we had in 2019 ago just to keep our streak alive. That was my breaking point and I went to the gym and got on a treadmill so I'm happy to cede that particular high ground to some of the truly crazy folk.

Steve - Number 3 .. sigh. The bad math was amusing but I have no desire to get into those conflicts. Is CIM officially a cheater course now?

RP - do you get black ice with the refreezing ? That is the worst as my screw shoes never handle it well. Thankfully it's a semi-rare occurrence around here though not unknown.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

*snip*

DW - That sucks that crime is such a deterrent. I know it's different as a guy and living in a small midwest city but I've always considered that pre-dawn morning time to be the safest around town just because no one else is around. I can see that being different in a real city.

*snip*

I have the same viewpoint. Pre-dawn around here (anytime, really) it's very uncommon for me to see any vehicles (and especially pedestrians) at all. Even OKC proper is rather safe overall, but there are certainly places to avoid for certain. The Strava heatmap for the OKC metro looks the way it does for a reason - and there's even a segment along a sketchy part of our river trail titled something to the effect of "meth rapey trail".

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I have the same viewpoint. Pre-dawn around here (anytime, really) it's very uncommon for me to see any vehicles (and especially pedestrians) at all. Even OKC proper is rather safe overall, but there are certainly places to avoid for certain. The Strava heatmap for the OKC metro looks the way it does for a reason - and there's even a segment along a sketchy part of our river trail titled something to the effect of "meth rapey trail".

In the city, it depends what pre-dawn means. If you're out at 4:30 in the summer, it can actually be a pretty dangerous time as you still have people up from the night before who have been drinking and now are making terrible decisions. If it's 6:30 in the winter, that's much different and is generally a very safe time to go run.

It's funny that to me, fewer people = more dangerous. I'd be terrified if I was running alone and a single vehicle came up near me and started slowing down. Or I saw someone approaching me who was walking on the road at a very odd hour.

Also running as a woman is obviously much worse. Almost all of the stories that come out of "runner attacked" in NYC are women.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I was running on a semi-rural road a few years ago, and a car pulled up beside me at my pace, tinted window which then starts coming down. I was almost expecting to see a gun come out but instead the driver wanted to tell me it was hard to see me (I had a head torch and a flashing foot spur). Since he’d scared me half to death, he didn’t get a good response.

2024 Races:

I remember the early 5am walk in downtown Auckland to get to the ferry which takes runners to the start of the Auckland marathon.

You had all these runners and lots of drunks up from the night before. Two opposite ends of the fitness spectrum 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

I was running on a semi-rural road a few years ago, and a car pulled up beside me at my pace, tinted window which then starts coming down. I was almost expecting to see a gun come out but instead the driver wanted to tell me it was hard to see me (I had a head torch and a flashing foot spur). Since he’d scared me half to death, he didn’t get a good response.

The last time someone pulled up beside me while on a run it was 0F and snowing. A farmer was out breaking ice so his cattle could get something to drink and as he drove past he slowed down and yelled "Ok, you get an attaboy for today!".

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

The last time someone pulled up beside me while on a run it was 0F and snowing. A farmer was out breaking ice so his cattle could get something to drink and as he drove past he slowed down and yelled "Ok, you get an attaboy for today!".

Ha, nice. I think if it was daylight it wouldn’t have been anywhere near as scary but on a quiet road in pitch black darkness it put the fear of God in me

2024 Races: