Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi - Sandbagging is fun!

Keen - I have a top notch tip about that wind. Just get fat and heavy 😎

Best of luck on that 5k and during taper, hopefully not too much madness on your end.

Steve - Yeah it was mostly a tempo effort. I was worried about DNFing due to the niggles. In the end they were mostly non issues apart from a weird case of blister under toes from my new socks. Broke rule #1 🤦‍♂️

To be honest I think I'm going to run a fun race at least once a year, it's way too much fun.

Thread ruler - I vote Darkwave, it's time we have a gothic metalhead lawyer dictator.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Steve thats a really good price. Reading on here what people pay for a hotel in Boston is scary 😨

My wife isn't getting vaccinated so probably no travel for her. Losing her job in the Warehouse copy centre too as they have mandated all staff to be vaccinated.

Mark you could go for sub 60 next year in that race 🏁 

I'm way too inconsistent right now to run the thread.

Covid is finally here in Tauranga. I'm kinda looking forward to the day where we stop counting cases and let it do its thing. Does that sound bad ?

Keen base building or base diminishing is probably more appropriate for me 

Flavio a pacing job is also really fun. Anything where you can soak up the atmosphere without the paincave effort.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Do we have any volunteers for next year's thread dictator? I need names so I can properly mount a defense of the crown.

Steve - Definitely sound like a good price on that hotel. CIM is/was bad enough, and I don't want to think about Boston if I ever run that one...

Flavio - I'll echo Piwi's bit about pacing. It's a ton of fun, but at the same time can be a bit nerve wracking at times.

Piwi - I see nothing bad with that thought.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

piwi - That is shocking.  With the percentage now high, I strongly disagree with people being forced out of jobs for refusing a medical procedure.  My work has put out a survey to ask how we want to handle it, which is great, but in a country of frightened sheep desperate to be told what to do, I'm sure we'll end up with a mandate.  I agree that the sooner we let this rip the better.  All the vulnerable people have had plenty of time to be vaccinated.  I don't even live in Auckland and I'm very over it.  So many races and gigs cancelled, including one this weekend and another in 3 weeks.  I think Kings of Leon in March is in doubt too.

Keen - Yeah I am thinking about targeting a destination marathon in 2023 but I know it's going to cost a fortune.  I'm leaning towards something like Chicago or Berlin.  Chicago was crazy enough when I was there on a non-marathon weekend.

New dictator...I think it is probably better being a very regular poster and/or someone who targets the shorter stuff more (or does their marathon posting here).  That doesn't leave all that many options....Flavio fits the bill but could cost us a fortune in costume requirements and take up a lot of time with compulsory strength training.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Keen - Yeah I am thinking about targeting a destination marathon in 2023 but I know it's going to cost a fortune.  I'm leaning towards something like Chicago or Berlin.  Chicago was crazy enough when I was there on a non-marathon weekend.

Just jumping in to note that I just pulled the trigger on Chicago 2022....

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Woo hoo! See you there!

Dave

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Woo hoo! See you there!

Big grin.

Of course, gotta get healthy first.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Nice, my running coach is going for 2022 as well so I'll be able to gather a lot of knowledge.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Big grin.

Of course, gotta get healthy first.

You've got time!

It'll be my first time running it. Chicago's my hometown but I haven't been back since 2014. So I'll be able to see some old friends, plus a ton of people from my local running group are going. And it'll be my 10th anniversary of marathoning. I'm pretty excited.

Dave

watsonc123

I would want places where I shop to have vaccinated staff.  It reduces the chance of me catching (I am vaccinated), plus others Incl. my 10 year old who is too young to be vaccinated.

My current employer is now mandating in the office, which I finish there 24 December.  My new employer (starting Jan) mandates it in the job contract.

I really struggle to understand why so many people don't get vaccinated.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Noooo. You should have chosen NYC.

Steve - run a qualifying time and do Boston 2023. You can then take the train down to NYC for an extended stay. I think there will be a good number of us targeting that Boston so it'll be fun to meet a bunch of folks.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Noooo. You should have chosen NYC.

I was checking out the Chicago website and noted that I qualified for the ADP (American Development Program) corral based on my 2019 performances.  I've always wanted to run Chicago in the ADP corral, and this might be my last shot at that since I'm not getting any younger  So I went for Chicago.

DavePNW I ran it about 5 years ago.  Great race - I highly recommend.  Everything is really well organized, I love the course, and the logistics are about as easy as they get for a race of that size.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I would want places where I shop to have vaccinated staff.  It reduces the chance of me catching (I am vaccinated), plus others Incl. my 10 year old who is too young to be vaccinated.

My current employer is now mandating in the office, which I finish there 24 December.  My new employer (starting Jan) mandates it in the job contract.

I really struggle to understand why so many people don't get vaccinated.

NO. It doesn't. Vaccinated and unvaccinated can both spread viruses. I REALLY wish people would actually stop thinking vaccination = immunity from spreading.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/effectiveness/why-measure-effectiveness/breakthrough-cases.html#:~:text=Most%20people%20who%20get%20COVID,vaccine%20breakthrough%20infection.%E2%80%9D

I really struggle to understand why vaccination is mandatory. Just let people who don't want to be vaccinated risk death, and keep considering yourself superior for being vaccinated. I'm looking forward to the fourth booster being required to still have valid vaccination status.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - sorry to hear about your wife's job.  Our firm will be moving to a mandate where you have to be vaccinated to work in the office.  But we can work remotely fine so it doesn't affect anyone's employment; if people aren't vaccinated they'll just be permanently working from home.

The reality is that everything is going to gradually open up and in 18-24 months time probably most of us will have caught it.  If you're vaccinated, it will probably be pretty mild or you may not even have symptoms at all.  Given the high levels of vaccination in NZ it's actually quite likely that we'll have a worse hospitalisation / death toll from the next flu season than Covid.  I think some of the mandatory stuff has gone too far.  When we had it contained at the border, it was a bit of a no-brainer to make vaccination mandatory for border workers, as well as healthcare workers.  Beyond that, I'm not convinced.

Anyway, I daresay we should probably stop with the Covid chat, no one wants this thread to get closed down!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

zebano

NO. It doesn't. Vaccinated and unvaccinated can both spread viruses. I REALLY wish people would actually stop thinking vaccination = immunity from spreading.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/effectiveness/why-measure-effectiveness/breakthrough-cases.html#:~:text=Most%20people%20who%20get%20COVID,vaccine%20breakthrough%20infection.%E2%80%9D

and we're at it again....  RP  you need to read Watson's statement a little more critically it uses the word "reduce" not eliminate. Reduce implies an acknowledgement that the risk is > 0% (most people would use a word like eliminate if they thought the risk was 0)

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)