Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I was wondering the same thing TBH.  The former would probably get the thread closed down quicker.

Steve - all we need now is a debate about easy pace (which I would add we haven't had in quite a while...).  And on the other topic, if you think that's a conservative goal, all the better.

My easy pace has crept up with my increased fitness but going into a marathon block, I suspect I will get in trouble with some posters here if I keep that up.

Most calculators (yes yes I know...) tell me 3:20 is conservative with a 1:29 half but anything can happen on the day.  Most of it I can control but if we get another ridiculous 28C (82F) morning in April, then I'm either going to DNS or make the goal even more conservative.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Me and Darkwave are just here to provide useless commentary while on the shelf. Keen is racing in 2 days. Good luck Keen!

I feel like we should just go full MST3K while we're doing this.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

zebano

I've just realized that I've hit my BQ time.

With a 5 minute buffer.

Alright, so who's racing next?

ME!!! 5k Turkey Trot  (8AM, Nov 25th) with a real chance to PR if the weather isn't too harsh. If it is, I'll settle for anything sub-20 but honestly if I don't PR it will be disappointing.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

RP - this isn't the COVID thread, but I'd still like to correct what you said without yelling at you like people tended to do. This was something I originally didn't understand as much either (i.e. why do I care if other people are vaccinated as long as I am?)

You are absolutely correct that vaccinated people can catch COVID and spread it. I think evidence points to them spreading it a lower rate GIVEN they have the virus, but let's put that aside and assume they spread it exactly the same rate GIVEN they have the virus. Even given that, vaccinated people spread COVID less than unvaccinated.

Here's a simple way to think about it. Imagine as a vaccinated person, you will be infected 25% of the time you are "exposed" to COVID, be it from a person with the vaccine or without the vaccine. You've decided to go to a stadium to watch your favorite game of cricket. One of them is 100% vaccinated. The other is 0% vaccinated. Which stadium do you think increases your exposure to COVID, and therefore the number of times/people you will be exposed to?

Clearly it's the stadium that is 0% vaccinated, as the number of people with COVID in that stadium will be higher than the stadium that is 100% vaccinated (vaccine efficacy around 75%-95% causes that to happen).

That is generally why some people only want to be around other people who are vaccinated. If the vaccine was 100% effective, then you would be correct that it doesn't matter at all. But they're not, so the goal is to "reduce" your exposure to the virus to reduce your chances of being infected.

All of that being said - I am NOT commenting on whether it should be mandated or not. Just trying to correct the fact that it is not correct that vaccinated and unvaccinated spread COVID at the same rate. They only (may) spread it at the same rate GIVEN they are infected. That given probability (conditional) is vitally important in understanding this whole thing.

I know this isn't the covid 19 thread (wasn't that locked/deleted?) and I thought I tailored my response accordingly.

I would stay home and watch cricket on television because it's much safer, plus cost effective and I have way too much going on to spend hours watching sports. Some people just want to be left alone. Just tell me the logic behind "We don't want to overwhelm the hospitals. If you're not vaccinated and your employer accepts government assisted insurance you'll be fired." as a cure to a pandemic at any other time in history. I'll wait.

I had to check my age for the Boston marathon times you posted. I literally had a panic moment thinking the BAA changed them and Sub 3 was just a BQ. Apparently in my old age I forget I'm as old as I am. Oddly, 2023 would be the first year I get the "old man bonus" so I totally expect the 2024 times to change.

Mikkey wait until the fourth round of boosters are required to still be actively vaccinated. The percentage of vaccinated will fall off because people won't have time to worry about being vaccinated again. Maybe the vaccine companies will hve "at home vaccination" kits.

Dwave marathons in the half marathon thread. Vaccines aren't French.  Congrats on the upgrade experience in Chicago. Do you get your last name printed on the bib, or is that only VIP? I'd have to say it would be a pretty big honor to have a bib with the last name on it, but I think "Kittenpower" might be a little too long to fit. Maybe shorten it to "K Power" for race day.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

I think Keen's marathon is up next?

December 5.

https://runsra.org/california-international-marathon/

Live tracking should be available on race day. In 2019 they had updates every 5k. Previous years it was 10k, half marathon, mile 20, and the finish line.

EDIT: OOPS...5k. Who races a 5k a week or two before a marathon? SHEESH!

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Marky_Mark_17

ME!!! 5k Turkey Trot  (8AM, Nov 25th) with a real chance to PR if the weather isn't too harsh. If it is, I'll settle for anything sub-20 but honestly if I don't PR it will be disappointing.

No kidding, I totally missed that, sorry.  Good luck!!  What is the forecast looking like for you?

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Whoops sorry to start a debate.

Jmac with all the % talk you should look at an actuary qualification 

Mark its a shitty job so no stress. It keeps her busy and off my back 😒 

Steve I will always view you as the young guy even though you are in 45 age group now 😀

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

All of that being said - I am NOT commenting on whether it should be mandated or not. Just trying to correct the fact that it is not correct that vaccinated and unvaccinated spread COVID at the same rate. They only (may) spread it at the same rate GIVEN they are infected. That given probability (conditional) is vitally important in understanding this whole thing.

I think with England lifting all restrictions in July was the perfect move as so many of us have got natural immunity now and had the virus. Some European countries (eg, Germany) have had mask mandates and vaccine passports and they’re going back into lockdown. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - I worked at the Warehouse 20-odd years ago when I was at uni.  Met a lot of great people there and as part-time jobs go it was good fun.  I was in the music department for a while and that was at the height of the CD boom so it was pretty much the best place in the store to work.  The midnight shifts in the lead-up to Xmas were particularly fun as the store was basically dead after 10pm so we would just crank up some good music and have a game of cricket in the store.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mark at least you broke out of the $22 per hour job  My daughter works part time in the entertainment department.

My wife gives blood sweat tears while her workmates leave all the crap they dont want to do to her so its their loss.

Mikey its good to have your view seeing as you are further ahead of us with the end of lockdown. Covid has finally hit our city. Will be interesting to see how it progresses.

So how many of these boosters are we going to have to get to keep vaccine passports valid ?

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Mark at least you broke out of the $22 per hour job  My daughter works part time in the entertainment department.

My wife gives blood sweat tears while her workmates leave all the crap they dont want to do to her so its their loss.

Dude! When I started there it was on youth wages at $6.76 per hour!  One of the best things about turning 18 was the pay rise haha.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

Marky Mark My sister in law (23) is getting into vinyl. I laugh thinking about MY kids wanting a CD or even an iPod because "retro" and such.

wait....you were making $22/hr?!?!?!?!

VDOT 53.37 

Marky_Mark_17

Marky Mark My sister in law (23) is getting into vinyl. I laugh thinking about MY kids wanting a CD or even an iPod because "retro" and such.

wait....you were making $22/hr?!?!?!?!

Hell no.  It went from like $6.76/hr to $7.80-something.  That was back around 2000 or so.  These days the minimum wage is mostly $20/hr.  Bear in mind there's generally not much tipping here in NZ unless you're feeling particularly generous in a restaurant.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Steve I will always view you as the young guy even though you are in 45 age group now 😀

This is my curse. I joined these forums 5 years ago when I was 29. I am now 34 turning 35 in a couple of weeks (or a master by NZ standards!), and nobody has joined that is younger than me. I AM TIRED OF BEING THE "YOUNG" GUY, WHERE ARE THE YOUNGER FOLKS TO JOIN THESE THREADS SO I CAN TURN INTO AN OLD GUY THAT YELLS AT THE YOUNG PEOPLE TO GET OFF MY LAWN?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

zebano

This is my curse. I joined these forums 5 years ago when I was 29. I am now 34 turning 35 in a couple of weeks (or a master by NZ standards!), and nobody has joined that is younger than me. I AM TIRED OF BEING THE "YOUNG" GUY, WHERE ARE THE YOUNGER FOLKS TO JOIN THESE THREADS SO I CAN TURN INTO AN OLD GUY THAT YELLS AT THE YOUNG PEOPLE TO GET OFF MY LAWN?

lol, just wait until you turn 40. Then you can tell "back in my day" stories no matter who you're talking to  Seriously though, skip those marathons and enjoy your mile/3k/5k races for a couple more years! Maybe even race an 800 and a steeple while you won't be hurt just thinking about the hurdling.

Weather for Turkey day 8AM is a disasters 25F .... with 15mph winds and gusts > 20mph. For a "realfeel" of 10F.  Damn the 🌬.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)