Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

This is my curse. I joined these forums 5 years ago when I was 29. I am now 34 turning 35 in a couple of weeks (or a master by NZ standards!), and nobody has joined that is younger than me. I AM TIRED OF BEING THE "YOUNG" GUY, WHERE ARE THE YOUNGER FOLKS TO JOIN THESE THREADS SO I CAN TURN INTO AN OLD GUY THAT YELLS AT THE YOUNG PEOPLE TO GET OFF MY LAWN?

I don't think you need to be all that old to do this...as you've proven in the past 

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I don't think you need to be all that old to do this...as you've proven in the past 

Don't confuse a young man's passion with an old man's grumpiness

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

watsonc123

Hell no.  It went from like $6.76/hr to $7.80-something.  That was back around 2000 or so.  These days the minimum wage is mostly $20/hr.  Bear in mind there's generally not much tipping here in NZ unless you're feeling particularly generous in a restaurant.

Tipping is almost unheard of in NZ.  I think it used to be rare, and with us being mostly card based payment, tipping will now be even rarer.

I remember low paying student jobs.  Rather glad I don't have to do them anymore.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikey its good to have your view seeing as you are further ahead of us with the end of lockdown. Covid has finally hit our city. Will be interesting to see how it progresses.

So how many of these boosters are we going to have to get to keep vaccine passports valid ?

Some countries/States have got it right so far (imho)...but the AUS and NZ government attitude towards unvaccinated folk is very sinister.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Zebano - That's a real bummer about the forecast for race. Mine is similar for the wind, but should be a good 12* or so warmer.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Keen and Zebano - The Turkey Trot events you guys have over there are great although given the time of year the risk of dodgy weather is kinda high!  Hope the outlook improves.  And good luck regardless.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Cmon Jmac you don't have a lawn 

$2.25 in 1983 working at the supermarket for me

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Running Problem

Problem Child

This is my curse. I joined these forums 5 years ago when I was 29. I am now 34 turning 35 in a couple of weeks (or a master by NZ standards!), and nobody has joined that is younger than me. I AM TIRED OF BEING THE "YOUNG" GUY, WHERE ARE THE YOUNGER FOLKS TO JOIN THESE THREADS SO I CAN TURN INTO AN OLD GUY THAT YELLS AT THE YOUNG PEOPLE TO GET OFF MY LAWN?

Do you even have a lawn to yell at people to get off? You can't be old until you're at the hardware store in March stocking up on sprinkler parts "before everyone else gets here in May and I can't find anything." Also, damn you really ARE young (Class of 2002 myself )

Marky Mark oh man. If you go to a restaurant in America and DON'T tip people will scold you with "if you can't afford to tip you shouldn't eat out."  I think I watched a video about Sweden or Denmark where they consider it rude. This year the Turkey Trot near me is, I think, a 5k and actually great weather for a race. It's been snow/ice in previous years or high 20s after an hour start. My biggest gripe is always the casual "family fun turkey trot" attitude to some of them. Not everyone is standing around in multiple layers to stay warm for our 3k walk.

First job wage: I think it was $12/hr at Target. Lawn and Garden section. Management didn't care about it so I sat around unsupervised at 16 for about 4 hours a night for 20 hours a week. Mackkahs was in the same parking lot and I developed a crush on a girl working there. Not because I ate there frequently, I just developed it the first time I saw her and the guys in front of me trying to hit on her were trying to guess how to pronounce her name for a date. I got REALLY close.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JamesD

JamesD

I think I made $2.90/hour (before deductions) busing tables in a Bonanza steak restaurant in 1979.  Probably made less as a daycamp counselor in 1978, which may have been the hardest job I ever had - I was in charge of a dozen five-year-olds, and when I would grab one who was misbehaving, the others would scatter.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

zebano

I think I made $2.90/hour (before deductions) busing tables in a Bonanza steak restaurant in 1979.  Probably made less as a daycamp counselor in 1978, which may have been the hardest job I ever had - I was in charge of a dozen five-year-olds, and when I would grab one who was misbehaving, the others would scatter.

Oh my. Then again, that's server wages where tips are expected. Daycamp gets you special kudos however. If you can handle that, then you can clearly handle this rowdy thread next year Wink

I started stuffing software boxes for $10/hour in '96 at a company called Network Instruments. It was a steal but they simply didn't have enough reliable hours for me so eventually I ended up making $7.50 at Boston Market where I simply wasn't allowed to work in the kitchen because that was the Mexican's job who were clearly paid under the table less than minimum wage.  Six of those guys shared a small house and mailed 70% of what they made home every month.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Best of luck Keen and Zeb! May the Game of Thrones Gods be with you in this winter that has arrived.

Steve - forget calculators. Whatever pace you can run the hard workouts consistently without breaking down is the pace you need to run on race day.

Jmac - Those youngsters are all on TikTok those wankers.

me - Damn you guys are rich, 12 dollars an hour to sit around as a youth.

Ok, so my first job was as a part time office boy at the local rural workers union, for the spectacular salary equivalent of:

5 DOLLARS PER MONTH. Not per hour, day or week. Per month.

I was at the ripe age of 12 and my daily obligations involved walking to the post office to fetch the daily mail and warm water for mate.

I got that job because me and my brother (10yo) were always arguing and one day he threw some knifes at me.

So I got the job at the rural workers union as an office boy while he got the job as a helper at a car mechanic owned by a boyfriend of my Aunt.

Neither job lasted long, a couple months in I was fired because, well, I was not really needed. And my brother, well, he was fired to protect himself cause he was sucking a gasoline pipe to pull gasoline out and ended up taking a gulp of it.

To be honest I was happy with my pay cause I was living with my parents and liked being somewhere else to stave boredom.

2 years later at 14 I got my second job as an unregistered helper in a clothing factory for roughly $50 per month (so roughly 80% of the then minimum wage). Much bigger salary but this time I had moved out of my parents so had to pay for rent, food etc.

Good times.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

You guys got paid to work growing up?

Both sets of grandparents (and my parents to an extent) had farming/ranching operations and I got to "help" checking cattle, building fence, etc. just because it was helpful.

Nothing quite like your grandfather dropping you off one morning in a field with some gloves, post hole diggers, and other fencing supplies (plus a sandwich and thermos of tea for lunch) and saying "I need this barb wire fence finished as soon as you can. I'm going to work on the other place, I'll be back before dark to get you".

At least Grandma always had an apple pie waiting for supper when I finished. I do miss her apple pies.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen always one-upping everyone. First, he showed that a real positive split in a marathon is not +20 minutes, but +3 hours. Then he shows us that 2.90 an hour is living in the lap of luxury vs. what he worked for. Finally he runs 80 mile weeks as down weeks.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Keen always one-upping everyone. First, he showed that a real positive split in a marathon is not +20 minutes, but +3 hours. Then he shows us that 2.90 an hour is living in the lap of luxury vs. what he worked for. Finally he runs 80 mile weeks as down weeks.

I have been schooled.  In many ways.

As for me, I galloped polo ponies as a teenager, and also groomed at polo matches some.

Galloping polo ponies was exactly what you think - hop on one, do a bit of walking/trotting to warm up, and then let em rip around and around the field.  Kinda fun, except that I'd sometimes have steering issues.  I was a hunter-jumper rider, meaning that I steered using both hands, and pulling in the direction I wanted to go (oversimplification, but works here).  Polo-ponies were steered with one hand using neck-reining (meaning you pressed the rein into the neck on the opposite side of the direction you wanted to go).

In riding, you generally steer with your eyes, bodyweight, and legs first, and hands second (at least once you get past being a beginner), so I'd be fine normally, since that was the same on hunter-jumper horses and polo-ponies.    But if I needed to make a sharp turn while galloping I'd need to use my hands also - in that event, I would keep getting mixed up - if I wanted to do a sharp left with the polo pony, I'd pull on the left rein when the correct aid for the pony would have been to press on the neck with the right rein.  So the pony would ease gently to the right instead of turning hard to the left.

Hilarity often ensued.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Love the stories guys. Flavio how has your brother turned out ? A magician who throws knives or an oil importer perhaps 🤔

It's a shame some of you never progressed and moved into a career working on computer software 🔥 

My 16 yr old just got accepted as a kiwifruit casual worker. He is over the moon as it's his first job. I'm not sure how long he will last but it will teach him some good life lessons.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "