Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

Snow storm in NY - finally you get some of that too Smile

All: I love those animal pics & stories. It seems that the people here either have cats or bigger dogs or a combo of both. I know Piwi also has chickens. I have neither but if I could, I would go for a small dog, maybe a midsized poodle (like a labradoodle) Smile That would be just about my jogging pace!

Steve: sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope your mom has adjusted to the situation and crazy how people still smash car shields for small wins really...hope the insurance covers it all.

Flavio: how can you be an Italian and not own at least two mini Fiats? Italy is the country with the highest number of cars. And the highest car accident frequency (talking with your hands and driving isnt that easy after all; even after many years of practice). How about a Vespa (I have a small GTS125, those are cool and cheap to repair).

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

zebano

Mark, we've had 3 snowfalls of at least 10 inches this year. Feel free to visit at any point and do all the shovelings you'd like! and no Piper isn't impressed.

Piwi - that's a very healthy habit. I always thought I'd be the hippy that didn't have a car but when you live in a sprawling city with 4 kids it's not really a (good) option.

RP - Others have said it, but breaking 3 without breaking 20 is phenomenal, you must be an aerobic monster. In pre-covid times, we actually had an "oreo party" in pre-covid times where we quartered as many varieties of oreo as possible, then did blind taste tests with anyone who cared to stop by. It turns out basic Oreos are iconic because they're the best and everything else is just a gimmick. That said, every Christmas my wife will dip a batch of oreos in white chocolate and those are excellent.

Keen - I hope you get marvelous weather for that half, you're in great shape.

Mick - I actually wish my dog was smaller, just because she doesn't like to run at anything slower than 7:30/mile pace for about 3 miles and even with a belt leash to distribute the force, she really pulls quite hard... which is just unsafe in winter running conditions. Ok, I just wish she was better trained, not smaller.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

https://youtu.be/-yITK_Z1SIs

Businesses closed....well except the liquor stores because those guys probably get help shoveling snow. I LOVE the shot 10 seconds in of all the cars. Not because they flip up their wipers, but because it might be the one time of the year driving a lifted truck isn't just for looks. The black Jeep probably has a 31-32 " (probably a 246/75/16) tire which puts that snow pile about 18" tall. No...they're not making it out of there any time soon. The Prius behind it drives on a 195/65/15 (about 24" tall). The Jeep I'm working on....37-40" tires is the plan. The large size metric equivalent would be about a 343/83/17. Small would be 356/71/17. 

zeb Maybe I am am aerobic monster. Maybe I just enjoy the pain and suffering coming from the training and ending of my marathons. Maybe it's because I put all my focus towards the marathon and ran it at sea level while living at 4,500 ft.

Meanwhile....in California...Three hours to go 7 miles: Tahoe gets crushed by ski traffic (sfgate.com)

The Governor asked people NOT to travel more than 120 miles from their home. The crowds are traveling more than 120 miles to get here. So much for COVID 19 being this deadly thing we all need to be worried about because for the past 8 months it sure does appear to be a lot safer to go outside.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

runethechamp

I think I forgot how to post pictures here, but there are a lot of animal pictures on my Strava feed so there's that.

RP - Ugh, the Tahoe thing has bugged me since COVID started. To stop spreading the disease, just stop traveling, but people go all over the place, to get away from people, except they don't. I'm even opposed to driving my car somewhere to go for a run or bike ride so I just start from my house all the time. The only thing I drive for is my swimming, since I don't have waterfront property. Haven't been farther away from my house than about 20 miles since last March.

Steve - Hope everything takes a turn for the better soon for you. Best wishes for your mom and worst wishes for those who broke into your car.

Flavio - Hope you get your back figured out. Back pain sucks.

Regarding races, since I'm in horrible shape it's almost good that there aren't any, although at some point it would be fun to see how fast (or slow) I could go with people around me.

Thanks to Flavio's back pain I don't have the lowest mileage  on the thread anymore! After Saturday's run I noticed some soreness around my knees, and I attribute it to not being used to all this running, but depending on how today's planned run feels I might cut back mileage a bit for a week and then get back to normal again (not too much to go on with 19 total miles though). Even though I'm not running fast at least I felt I had some sort of flow in my running for the last couple of runs.

Weekly for period: From: 01/25/2021 To 01/31/2021

Date Name Distance
          in mi
          Duration Avg Pace
          per mi
          Elevation Gain
          in ft
          01/25/2021 Afternoon Run 5.33 00:50:53 09:33 230
          01/27/2021 Strength and Flexibility 0.00 00:49:04 00:00 0
          01/28/2021 Afternoon Run 7.59 01:11:12 09:23 177
          01/30/2021 Down to the waterline 6.56 01:03:44 09:43 259
          01/31/2021 Afternoon Swim 0.65 00:26:37 40:57 0

Total distance: 19.48mi

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

I have logged onto the Flavio App just to check if it still works. It does hurray Smile

Weekly for period: From: 25/01/2021 To 31/01/2021

Date Name Distance
            in km
            Duration Avg Pace
            per km
            Elevation Gain
            in m
            26/01/2021 Flavio Tuesday (6x800) 9.33 00:49:44 05:20 77
            27/01/2021 Morning Run 9.06 00:56:48 06:16 145
            29/01/2021 Tempo Run 10.64 00:57:01 05:22 86
            31/01/2021 Morning Run 15.33 01:36:11 06:16 56

Total distance: 44.36km

RP: I like the guy in NY who said he had nothing better to do - when asked why he had opened his liquor store. 

zebano

RP - Ugh, the Tahoe thing has bugged me since COVID started. To stop spreading the disease, just stop traveling, but people go all over the place, to get away from people, except they don't. I'm even opposed to driving my car somewhere to go for a run or bike ride so I just start from my house all the time. The only thing I drive for is my swimming, since I don't have waterfront property. Haven't been farther away from my house than about 20 miles since last March.

Rune, You don't know how jealous I am of your open water swims. That looks like fun. I'm still willing to drive to runs, especially since our state park trails are almost deserted except for me and a few other crazies (there's always people out on the ice fishing). My swimming OTOH is worrying, I go to the gym, mask up, check in, hurry to the pool, strip to my jammer, swim and get out as fast as possible. It's probably a really stupid risk for me to take.

RP  you should come visit, we get 3-4 events like that a year. Trucks make a lot of sense for about a week per year. Unfortunately a lot of truck drivers forget that clearance and 4 wheel drive don't equal stopping power so we get a ridiculous number of accidents during the first one, usually in late December. That said, I can work remotely so I just own a little Honda Fit and wait for the plows to come through.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

runethechamp

Rune, You don't know how jealous I am of your open water swims. That looks like fun. I'm still willing to drive to runs, especially since our state park trails are almost deserted except for me and a few other crazies (there's always people out on the ice fishing). My swimming OTOH is worrying, I go to the gym, mask up, check in, hurry to the pool, strip to my jammer, swim and get out as fast as possible. It's probably a really stupid risk for me to take.

The open water swims are nice now when the pools are closed, but I can't do much more than 25-30 minutes with the water temperatures we have right now (pretty consistently at 52F now except for when we had our mini January heatwave). I didn't think much of it until I read that the typical swimming wetsuits are just meant for use down to 55F. Below that they recommend thermal wetsuits, whatever that means. The low temperature as well as the open water aspect of it means I don't feel very comfortable doing much more than easy to slightly moderate effort swimming. Hard intervals or sets that I could do in a pool just don't feel comfortable to do with the cold water and open water (although I just realized that if I kept my swimming between a couple of the floating docks I might be able to do it). And I think I've mentioned it before, it's a pretty cool feeling to just be out there. About risks, I'm not sure if a pool full of chlorinated water is that good of an environment for a virus, so I think you're fine. But whenever I get to go to a pool again it will probably be a similar procedure to what you're describing.

I should start report my runs in the metric system as well. Sounds like I run both faster and longer!

Getting back into it

Marky_Mark_17

Heh, I must be working hard as I'm struggling a bit to keep up.  But great to see Rune and Mick back posting regularly.  And yeah Rune 15 km sounds way cooler than 9 miles haha.

Anyway the battery on the Fenix 6 is so much better than the 5S.  5 days since I charged it, 4 runs totalling over 70km and it's only just gone below 50% today.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

runethechamp

Mark, I’ve found that the battery on my Fenix 6 is so good it was almost a problem. I was used to having to charge every 3 days or so, now suddenly it was a couple of weeks and I would forget it needed charging altogether.

Getting back into it

zebano

Yup 5 / KM is a lot faster than 8/mile! Wink

runethechamp

Here Z, did you see this one: https://www.thegazette.com/2013/09/05/cedar-rapids-takes-step-to-ease-longstanding-ban-on-swimming-in-the-cedar-river

It's 8 years ago so maybe they opened up the river for swimming by now? But then again winters are different there than in California 

Getting back into it

zebano

Here Z, did you see this one: https://www.thegazette.com/2013/09/05/cedar-rapids-takes-step-to-ease-longstanding-ban-on-swimming-in-the-cedar-river

It's 8 years ago so maybe they opened up the river for swimming by now? But then again winters are different there than in California 

No I didn't but I don't think it ever came to fruition. There are 2 open water swim opportunities nearby. one is 20 minutes and the Rangers are vigilant about you staying within the designated swim area (totally not 1st hand experience), unfortunately during the summer that area is usually packed. The other is 45 minutes away but you can apply for a permit if you bring a kayaker along. I can go north in the summer an hour and find a third but that is really stretching the bounds of how far I want to travel to swim open water.... wonderfully there is a 57 mile bike trail from here to there so I'll have to take a half day of work at some point and arrange for the wife to pick me up =)

I can't believe just bought Gamestop. I went to school, know how to read and write and all but still this is purely emotional. So great. That will all just blow up in smoke but its fun Smile

runethechamp

Mick - I thought it was too late for Gamestop? Or maybe not, who knows? It's kind of fun to see how many small players can beat the big players at their own game though.

I did some light leg strength exercises yesterday (calf raises, lunges, swiss ball hamstring curls). All with no added weight, but two of the sets of the calf raises were single leg. I think it was the lunges that did me in and now my legs are completely beat. I clearly need to keep up on the strength training going forward.

Getting back into it

Mark I have the 235 and its not the best on battery life. That sounds like a great watch that you have now.

I'm in Christchurch. Not running today but will tomorrow and Saturday down here.

Plan is to run the Parkrun Saturday at 10k pace and continue on for another 5k by myself and see if I can go sub 39 mins. Temperature is really good here slightly cool.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "