Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

zebano

Mick - that sounds like a very risky buy right now. Oh well. If it's fun and you're not hurting for the money, then enjoy it.

Piwi  Good luck with the race! Sub 39 should be easy for you =0

Rune - You're right that running fast in my neighborhood is sketchy (strava comment) but if I want to run over lunch, sometimes you just hope for the best. On some days, I have more time and I can drive to parks that get plowed well but that's not always feasible. Any of lunges, hamstring curls, squats/pistols/split squats when not done for awhile tend to make me really sore. Just stay on top of the strength work and it's not so bad (now someone needs to give me this advice lol).

The winter weather is starting to hit again. I"' looking at 3 hours of freezing rain followed by snow for 20 hours and plummeting temperatures (eventually negative Fahrenheits) which is fun... I made sure to enjoy my long run in this morning while it was about 34F and raining lightly while tramping over 1-2 feet of snowpack, but surprisingly good footing for the first 9 miles. The last three left my hips and little stabilizers sore so tomorrow will be a very very gentle recovery day.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

runethechamp

Z - Totally understand about going out for your run, just wish the cars were nicer.  I have a lot of respect for you getting out there in the conditions you describe, especially that long run today.  Talking about cold, the temperature dropped into the high 30s overnight here . High is supposed to be 59 though so I think I'll survive. Just kidding, but I did see that a spot back in Norway was close to reaching the magic temperature of -40, where it's the same in both F and C.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Hi guys back from my 10k time trial. Not easy Zebano  but got it done.

Weather was near perfect about 14c or 57f. A little wind but ok.

I used the Parkrun here in Christchurch for the first 5kms. We are down visiting my daughter who is moving into a flat and goes to University here.

I didn't get talking to anyone before the start but I may have looked a little scary with a gash in my forehead after walking into a car door yesterday 😳

Anyway off we went. I held back aiming for 3.50/km.about 20 people in front of me through the first 2 kms but I slowly got to about 10th. There is alot of tree cover on this course and it messes with my GPS. I would see it jump to 4.05/km and it was quite demoralizing but then back on pace in the open areas.

At the end of the parkrun I peeled away to run the last5kms solo. I actually seemed to do a little better from here. I was suffering but no one says 10k pace is easy right 😔

The last km I was able to dig in and throw down a 3.41

Final time 38.44 which is my fastest for about 5 years I think.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

zebano

Good run Piwi! It's strange that the second half was easier even without people to race.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

runethechamp

Whoa, I'd say that's a pretty strong showing Piwi! You make it sound like a very casual sub-39 10k . I actually don't think I've ever raced (or TT'ed) a 10k so maybe this is my year to do that once I get myself conditioned a bit.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi awesome job on that 10k. Such a nice spot to run down there too. I think I find 10k suffering the most bearable (vs 5k or half marathon) but it’s sure not easy.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Thanks guys its a good benchmark and probably alot better fitness than I'm usually in at this early stage of the year.

Rune 10k pace is pretty tough but its over reasonably soon 

Zebano I had your voice in my head saying " should be easy for you Piwi " and I'm like no its still bloody hard.

Mark temperature here is awesome like under 15c for my run. Their Parkrun is really well attended over 300.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Will jump back into the thread properly soon. Just want to congratulate piwi on an amazing run. Weather has been perfect for running since Thursday, which I should acknowledge since I complain about heat all the time. Pretty hot at Mt Cook though...

5km: 18:34 11/23 â”‚ 10km: 39:10 8/23 â”‚ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 â”‚ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Thanks Steve. Sorry we didn't catch up but I will be back again more than once this year.

JamesD

JamesD

Great run, Piwi!

Sorry to hear about you misadventure.  When I read that, at first I wondered whether "walking into a car door" was a euphemism for something, but then I decided it was more likely that you really did walk into a car door.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

JamesD

JamesD

More very gradual progress this week.  I extended a couple of treadmill runs by a mile, and my quads felt much better during today’s run in the park than they had the times I had gone to the park in the last few weeks, so that was good.  The earlier quad soreness may have been in part because my shoes (Reebok Forever Floatride Energy) had around 500 miles on them; I retired that pair & started a new pair of the same model last week.  As is often the case when I buy shoes I like that were discontinued a couple of years ago, the color combination is not the most attractive.  This pair has a 1970s vibe with a two-tone royal blue & bright red upper and a bright white midsole.  Would’ve been in style when I was running in high school, so maybe it’ll inspire me.

Sun - off

Mon - about 12 miles treadmill (1:39 at faster than 9-minute effort), L Achilles sore

Tues - 11 TM, L Achilles mildly sore

Weds - 11 TM, L knee & R glute mildly sore

Thurs - off

Fri - 12 TM

Sat - 9.4 miles steady in park @ 8:46, quads not sore like recent times in park, glutes sore

Total - about 55.4 miles worth of time/effort - 6th straight week over 50

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - hope the head is OK too.  Those head wounds bleed like crazy.

James - hope those new shoes are decent despite the colourway.  I tend to try and pick up the shoes I like cheaply when the newer model comes out, so often the colours on those can be a mixed bag (although generally they're only a year or so old, not two).

Rune - I hear you on the watch battery being so good that you almost forget it needs charging.  I managed an entire week including 6 runs before I had to charge mine and I still probably could've gotten another day or two.

Me - as planned, I had a slightly easier week this week with 2 workouts instead of 3.  Saturday's track session was great - for the first time in a long time I had no alcohol on a Friday night, plus I had a half a banana before the run too as per some nutrition advice I got earlier in the week.  Not sure which of those it was that did the trick but I had enough in the tank to smash out 2 x 10 min at HMP followed by 3 x 1000m.

Weekly for period: From: 01/02/2021 To 07/02/2021

Date Name Distance
                          in km
                          Duration Avg Pace
                          per km
                          Elevation Gain
                          in m
                          02/02/2021 That run where the welcome streak of cool mornings in Feb continued 13.19 00:58:06 04:24 22
                          03/02/2021 That run with the first long tempo in a while 16.21 01:04:30 03:59 23
                          04/02/2021 That run where it was quite nice to be having an easier week 12.71 00:56:50 04:28 92
                          05/02/2021 That run where the new Foo Fighters album was really boring 5.04 00:23:49 04:44 7
                          06/02/2021 That run where half a banana before the session really kicked my ass into gear 14.59 00:54:20 03:43 105
                          07/02/2021 That run where a lot of bugs stuck to me 24.08 01:45:40 04:23 241

Total distance: 85.82km

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JamesD

JamesD

(reposting b/c when I tried before I got gibberish)

Mick-  We have a small dog, mostly Maltese and part poodle.  He's great for our apartment, because he doesn't shed & rarely barks.  He's not interested in other animals or most people, but he's very happy around us - don't know if that's the breed or just his personality.  Not a runner, though.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Piwi - great job!  I guess that's half a race and half a time trial?

James - the picture is broken.  As for the shoes - surely you can find some mud to run through?

Marky)_Mark - that must have been a hell of a banana.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Marky_Mark_17

Also, forum question... anyone had experience with the NB Fresh Foam Beacon?

I've used the Kinvara for pretty much everything except recovery runs with good results for the last little while - i.e. workouts, tempos, long runs, the whole lot.  Anyways, from what I read about the Kinvara 12, it looks like maybe it's more suited for shorter, harder workouts so I might be looking for an all-rounder to take its place in the line-up.  The Beacon seems to tick the boxes, plus a few Australian retailers stock it at decent prices.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"