Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

In all fairness, it was 100% LUCK I hit 49.9 (.85 according to Strava) for running miles. I had a rough idea where I was at, and if I knew I would have just finished the 2 minutes of running. I'll probably bonk at my next (local) race (2022?). Big grin

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

In all fairness, it was 100% LUCK I hit 49.9 (.85 according to Strava) for running miles. I had a rough idea where I was at, and if I knew I would have just finished the 2 minutes of running. I'll probably bonk at my next (local) race (2022?). Big grin

A few years ago, my last long run of a marathon training cycle ended up being 19.99 miles on the Garmin.  My friends encouraged me to go jog another 10 seconds, but I declined.

The marathon did not go well.

Learn from my fail.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

zebano

ugg. I've found something new to complain about. Watch / Strava elevation...

I did a workout today where I did 1.1mile loops from my house. The problem is that despite starting and ending at exactly the same spot, only the first rep has a net-0 elevation gain. The others all claim they were net downhill (by 16 and 6 feet respectively despite the overall distances being identical). I know it shouldn't bother me... but it does.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

A few years ago, my last long run of a marathon training cycle ended up being 19.99 miles on the Garmin.  My friends encouraged me to go jog another 10 seconds, but I declined.

Learn from my fail.

This made me lol because I have said may times "yeah I'm sure I'm going to fail at my next race because I didn't run the whole 50 miles on the schedule." I'll just run CIM because it's such an easy race.....oh wait, wrong thread.

The local 12 person relay was just canceled. It's for June and our Governor is going to announce how great we've done and let us have 50% capacity at restaurants tomorrow evening. Just in time for people to make last minute Valentimes Day reservations and go out to celebrate Abraham Lincoln and George Warshingtin's birfdays this weekend. I think camping is still restricted or closed but can't tell due to me being accustomed to everything I want to do being undoable in these COVID 19 (trying?) times.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Marky_Mark_17

Learn from my fail.

I had a good discussion on this topic with the massage guy I see sometimes who is also a very good runner.  He pointed out that running 100km in a week vs. 99km doesn't magically make you a better runner.  I said 'yes but OCD'.  He said 'fair enough'.  You could swap 'superstition' for 'OCD' in that - the principle is the same.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Piwi run up that hill where your son does boxing instead of along the beach!!!

Mick we have these Tsunami evacuation signs everywhere pointing to the nearest hill and the distance which is about 2kms. They make me laugh. They should read " kiss your ass 😘 goodbye there's a tsunami coming "

I'm still going to physio for my upper back. Its alot better.

She thinks I should let my shoulders rotate a bit more when running and that I'm too stiff through that rotation.

I've been trying it but worry if my shoulders rotate more that my lower legs will do the same.

I have a big stretchy band to do bow and arrow type pull backs to encourage the rotation through my torso.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JamesD

JamesD

My standard loop in the park is about 1.55 miles, and a shorter loop (that doesn't cross a sometimes-busy street) is about 1.025 miles.  Depending on how many of each I do in a run, I'll run an extra 40 or 80 or 120 steps if necessary to reach the next tenth of a mile.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Funny now the Kiwis always think of Kiwi as the bird and everybody else thinks of the fruit.

RP - thanks, hard water it is.

Zeb - that chase tag game is nuts!! We used to play that as kids but without so many obstacles and it was a group. One person was suppose to chase the others until they tagged someone.

Then that someone now was in charge of chasing the others. And the game would go on and on until everyone was too tired to play.

Rune,Mick - If a tsunami comes, I fully expect the entirety of Piwi’s family to pull up their long boards and just surf the wave.

Mark - I highly recommend you don’t follow Steve on Strava. He will post a title “70 minutes easy” but run 71 minutes. Then the title will be 20k easy but he will run 21.5km.

I’m starting to think he does it on purpose... 

Piwi - are you sure she was talking about your shoulders?

Anyway, you can’t tell the body what to do. It will do whatever it wants. Best we can do is nudge it in a certain direction by changing the imbalances.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Flavio I agree with you about letting the body do it naturally.

She wants to see more flexibility in my torso turn which should help my hip and pelvic turn rather than been so rigid up top. Unfortunately my longboard turned on me last night and whacked me in the arm leaving a nice hematoma.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Man you keep getting into fights with objects 

Did she specify where you lack flexibility? Is it rotating the upper body side to side or is it rolling your shoulders up and down?

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

runethechamp

From what I read there are a lot of reasons to keep running until you read that round number. Not doing it seems to lead to all kinds of bad luck!

Regarding Tsunamis, we went to a client site here in the Bay Area after the Tohoku earthquake and saw a runup of 2-3 feet within a 20 minute period, and then the water went out again. No wave but very strong currents in a relatively protected area. It was pretty crazy to think about that it all happened due to an earthquake at the opposite end of the Pacific Ocean.

Sounds like Mick needs a talking to about his Strava titles 

Did a range of blood tests today, and got some results. Blood values are down to pre-infusion levels and I wonder if it is all because of me stopping my oral iron supplement for about a month (or is it because of the running itself, I've head it can actually affect the numbers some)? Still waiting to see what my iron and B12 levels are like. Was just thinking that I was enjoying afternoon naps a lot more lately . In any case I've been getting in better shape from my 5-6 weeks of running so if we get this figured out I should hopefully see a good jump in fitness.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Rune: what is it that you dont like about the titles  I like them a lot! Hope you get the iron issue sorted out and as you said that will give you a boost(dont overdo it though).

Piwi: wow get well. Why did you fight with your board?

Flavio: is you family back in Brazil ok? Some crazy news regarding Covid and mutations.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

zebano

Rune  That's some bad luck, get back on those supplements!

Piwi What did you do to piss off the longboard? What did she recommend you do to increase torso flexibility?

RP  I'm confused .. is the .9 lucky or what does luck have to do with how much you run? Also why in the world is camping cancelled? Outdoor activities should be encouraged! Especially if they don't have the mass start factor of something like a race.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Zeb nothing to do with the run. 49.9 miles. It isn't 50. My unofficial weekly goal is about 50 miles a week. I'm not going to hit it this week.

I wonder if they're going to turn this into some kind of alternative fuel in Australia. Seems to go along with how they make fruits and build virtual offices down there in 2021.

EDIT:

So If I'm going to start doing some speed work (virtural)5k March 12-14) to start gearing up for an October marathon what might people suggest I aim for with paces? recent PR was a 19:44 5k time trial. The virtural race should be pretty flat. I just don't really know where to start with about 4 months of time before I start training for Boston or CIM (December 5, 2021). Ideally I'd be able to run another Sub 3. I'm asking here because this thread is more active and a lot of you have races scheduled, or possible, where as my state isn't having them so motivation to train for a race is less than none. I'll also need to start my TRX cross training after next week again.

VDOT 53.37 

zebano

EDIT:

So If I'm going to start doing some speed work (virtural)5k March 12-14) to start gearing up for an October marathon what might people suggest I aim for with paces? recent PR was a 19:44 5k time trial. The virtural race should be pretty flat. I just don't really know where to start with about 4 months of time before I start training for Boston or CIM (December 5, 2021). Ideally I'd be able to run another Sub 3. I'm asking here because this thread is more active and a lot of you have races scheduled, or possible, where as my state isn't having them so motivation to train for a race is less than none. I'll also need to start my TRX cross training after next week again.

Congrats on the sub 20 !

How recent was the Time Trial and did you see Flavio's generic 5k training plan a few pages back? If you're really focused on the 5k I've always liked Pete Magill's plan but it's hard to go wrong with JD or Pfitz.