Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

Zebano I'm glad I beat you to that obvious joke although deep down I know Jmac is extremely intelligent 😉

Jmac training at altitude now like a pro 👌

Mikkey why aren't you logging on strava anymore ?

RP nice hill run today. Its about the same distance and elevation as my local Papamoa hills run 🏃‍♂️

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

I'm just going to leave this here for giggles:

Actual result. Distance recorded is from Stryd.

New prediction based upon data from the TT:

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Jmac you are heading to vail you said that, man I am envious. safe travels.

RP: can you please go for a track session to the Auburn High School where Western States ends? Please post some pictures and the belt buckle.

Zeb: What is Thorsdays? Just checked the urban dictionary that says on thorsdays a man drinks beer, doesn't wear a shirt and does man stuff.

Mikkey: I second piwis question - are you injured?

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

zebano

Huh??? Keen I'm flabbergasted by that prediction. I'm going to call it 17:58.

I found a pacer and a flat course to time trial 2 miles tomorrow. I've asked him to go out at 6/mile and just let me hold on as long as I possibly can (blowing up is half the point of this). I know I can go more than a mile but I haven't run those paces at all lately and I'm starting to get nervous as if it's a real race.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

zebano

Mick - Thorsday is my local trail club. Someone squinted (or got drunk) and said a local trail around lake Macbride looks like Mjolnir (Thor's hammer) and we've been running that 20km loop every Thursday at 5AM (The day of the week dedicated to Thor) for about 6 years now. Also as a trail club, there's a lot of drinking that goes on , and we do have one crazy that won't wear a shirt until it's 20F (he's a Wim Hof fanatic) but most of us are a bit more sane than that! I think UrbanDictionary nailed that.

JMac - have fun in Colorado! Hopefully you get some last minute skiing in before the slopes close.

Keen  I just saw the results, that prediction was much closer than I anticipated but kudos to you for exceeding it.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - It's awesome that April is doing so well in the car. Is she sleeping a lot of it, or is she awake? Is there a difference between how she does during the day and at night? Geez, these are some seriously lame dad questions...

The time trial was fun, but I definitely left a good amount of time out there simply because I'm quite out-of-touch with 5k race effort. Still, it was good to get in a hard effort, it's a good place to build from, and I can use this as another learning experience. Oh, and the Saucony Endorphin Pros are AWESOME.

Upcoming Races:

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Keen - I’ll keep at it and hope I don’t peak too early.

Awesome result on the time trial. You pretty much nailed it! You’re probably closer to PR shape given the lack of rest and that fast last km.

Jmac - enjoy the mountains!

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

zebano

Keen Did you like the Endorphin pros more than spikes? How did they feel on the curves?

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Flavio - I was only a second or two off my road PR, and knowing what I know now about how I should have paced it I wouldn't be too far off of my PR time from my last "big" track TT. I really think I have a shot at going sub-18 before the end of the year.

Zebano - I've never worn spikes, so I can't make a comparison. Corners were smooth and natural, zero feel of instability. I really liked them when I took my first steps in them, but as I was practically sprinting in the last 100m actively had the thought that the shoes felt really good - I've never really had a thought about how good a pair of shoes is during a situation like that.

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

I'm especially ashsamed given my love of classic rock! I'm currently driving cross country (just arrived in Indiana) and spent the last 11 hours listening to Sirius/XMs top 1000 classic rock songs of all time. Just terrible.

On the plus side, April did very well the entire drive. I'll keep enjoying this while she's not mobile.

I'll be in Colorado for a month. I'm incredibly out of shape, but still looking forward to a few runs a week out there at 10K elevation. Just hope the roads are decent enough to run.

On the JD point: I've said this before about R pace. 200s are easy. 400s are not. RP - if you can do 10x400 right now and you find it relatively easy, your VDOT for R pace needs to increase (while potentially holding back other VDOTS, as Zebano has pointed out they may be different at different speeds).

His workouts usually peak at 12x400 and I am usuallly pretty fried at the end of it, while his 20x200 workout is one of the easiest out of all workouts he prescribes.

You're traveling? Big change in the last 10 months.

Thanks for the advice about the runs. I'll give 400s a shot I guess. I assume you're talking about doing them at the same R pace I used for the 200s. Unsure where I'll put other paces, since I don't actually have a race, and probably can't even BEGIN to think of training for a sub 3 attempt.

Doesn't it suck when life gets in the way of things? I thought I'd get my 50 miles in for the week but I've made other life choices and spent my time doing that. I should REALLY get serious about TRXing. Monday sounds like a better day for that.

Keen You almost broke 19 for the 5k? DAMN SON!

Mick I coudln't get on the track. Of all the places in California...Placer County is unlocked and has been for quite some time. Apparently it's one of the rarest things on the West Coast. A place where COVID 19 allows kids to go to school in person. It was really amusing to seek the groups (yes plural) of kids walking the track. I'd say about 10 of them shoulder to shoulder, and the groups were spaced out. The school put down a new fake grass football field. In 2019 when SeattleMax finished Western States I had the pleasure of running one turn, and one straight (about half actually) of the track.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Keen very nice 5000m sub 19 right ?

You me and Flavio can work together to go sub 18 this year.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Nice job CK!  We need to find you a fast 5K race.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Thanks, all!

Piwi - Yeah, sub-19. The three of us should absolutely do that!

DWave - There really aren't many 5ks scheduled for my area for the foreseeable future. There are quite a few more in the Tulsa area, which is a bit surprising to me - I would have expected the opposite to be true. I'd love to run one or more of them, but a ~3.5 hour round-trip for a race that should take less than 19 minutes is a little much for me without anything else to do while I'm there.

Upcoming Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Great job Keen!

Unfortunately I’ve picked up a cold. Learned my lesson from last November, and took a day off yesterday, and very short and easy today. Hopefully that sorts it out but I’m gonna play it pretty carefully with a race hopefully coming up next weekend.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Zeb - thats the coolest story I have heard in a while. 5AM sounds brutal but you guys get out there quite often. Respect, or whatever Thor would say! Cant believe that the strava crown is owned by a guy who's run it in 66 minutes....

RP: you got a picture with Sally MacRae!!!!! Incredible and cool stuff about the Auburn schools. Glad to hear that, hope it stays that way. Watching all those Western States videos I thought you have like 5 4-5 pacers but you ran with SeattleMax for a long time. Amazing. Envy you both, must have been awesome.

Keen: great stuff great time - congrats!

Mark: get well! At first I thought you meant the cold temperatures on strava. But its a head cold. All the best!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!