Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

zebano

36'44"?? Wowza that's some speed you had. No wonder you're still cranking out 18:low 5ks. I love the picture of you leading out the kids. I saw the Lake Biwa record pop up on my facebook feed, but the article only talked about the winner. That's amazing how many guys crushed that race. What a marathon culture.

Keen shoveling is absolutely crosstraining, especially when it's wet and heavy! I'll own that, and admit that I often skipped my bodyweight work this winter when I had to shovel on that day.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Marky_Mark_17

Mark I continue to be impressed by how some of you handle being sick. I just run through that crap and it takes longer because of it. 

Honestly I used to do that and mostly get away with it.  Finally learned my lesson during last November in the post-marathon-broken-and-sick-for-almost-a-month episode.

HR is a great guide.  I ran a short easy one on Saturday and my HR was still probably 5-7bpm above where it should have been.  Took Sunday off altogether, Monday's easy run it was back around normal.  In theory it's OK to do easy running if you have a cold as long as the symptoms are above the neck, in practice I suspect if it's anything more than around 5 miles it probably just slows down your recovery.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JamesD

JamesD

JMac - I think you said a couple of months ago that you had a hernia.  Haven't heard you mention it recently, so does that mean it was my imagination, or have you gotten over it?  In October & November, separate doctors told me I had one but that it shouldn't affect my running.  (I think I actually have two, one on each side, but the right side one is more visible.)  I've had pain in that area of my right side on my last four runs, twice strong enough to make me stop. Do they go away with rest, or are there any exercises that help?

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JMac - I think you said a couple of months ago that you had a hernia.  Haven't heard you mention it recently, so does that mean it was my imagination, or have you gotten over it?  In October & November, separate doctors told me I had one but that it shouldn't affect my running.  (I think I actually have two, one on each side, but the right side one is more visible.)  I've had pain in that area of my right side on my last four runs, twice strong enough to make me stop. Do they go away with rest, or are there any exercises that help?

I have a sports hernia, not a real hernia. Very different things. If you have a regular hernia, you should talk to JT over in the sub 3 forum as he had a real hernia. If you have a sports hernia, let me know.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JamesD

JamesD

I have a sports hernia, not a real hernia. Very different things. If you have a regular hernia, you should talk to JT over in the sub 3 forum as he had a real hernia. If you have a sports hernia, let me know.

It's possible I have both.  The doctors diagnosed a regular one in October/November, but this pain is lower than the bulge and began after two days of a new warmup routine that involved twisting leg swings, which sounds like it might be a sports hernia. I've stopped the twisting leg swings, of course.

In each of my last four runs I've been fine for quite a while and then noticed symptoms fairly rapidly.  Onset was at about 8-9 miles Thursday after my first new twisting warmup, 6 miles Friday after my second new warmup, and 10 miles Saturday after no new warmup.  That was headed in the right direction, so I hoped that abandoning the warmup was taking care of it, but after yesterday's off day, today I felt symptoms after only 4 miles.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Running Problem

Problem Child

What is the difference? I thought they were all the same. It only affect you while running?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Marky_Mark_17

What is the difference? I thought they were all the same. It only affect you while running?

It's a justification for wearing activewear in public.  Otherwise no difference.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

What's a sports hernia? Hope you guys get over it!!!

DW: good luck I hope its the Pfizer one but great that they are already down to vaccinating fit people. You can say what you want about the Trump administration & Boris Johnson. And I dont know if it is fair to attribute this to Trumps folks and Joe B. is trying to claim this one but I remember that they did all these deals with the pharmaceutical comps early in the process last year without knowing who would win the race, paying big bucks for early shipments. And now you are way ahead of everyone. I can't wait but in a way also am happy that I am not part of the early large scale human experiment. I think they make you waive all rights before the jab. Anyways good luck!!!

Flavio: you are my hero. I always thought I should do that with the GoPro but would want to put that around the head. But a chest strap is probably the solution! Was that waterfall video filmed with a chest strap? Looked like head level.

Keen: I know I should have overtaken Mark and gone out for a 2k quick run around the block but saw your comment too late....that would have been good fun.

Piwi I loved the picture where you are gasping for air while the woman is giving an interview. Can you please post this one again and the one with the kids?

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Running Problem

Problem Child

Marky Mark "Due to covid 19" going to work and the gym are considered essential travel. I'm not shocked people aren't self isolating. Honestly I expected it as soon as the vaccines started being in the news (read: people doing whatever they can to be vaccinated) and distributed. Where I'm at the cases are magically dropping and a running friend mentioned something about a spike "uh....that event was 3 weeks ago. How are we having a spike due to it now?"

Hope the cold went away. Your speed is still awesome and I LOVE the titles. I'm jealous you can actually forecast races. Locally....I doubt the ultra maraton in May will be allowed. Ultra Marathoning...the sport of socially distanced endurance folks...can't happen locally due to COVID 19.

Keen you should NEVER let darkwave tell you about her commitment to races. You forget she has backup races to her back up races. 90 minutes is not even a question. Go race the 5k. It might do well for your training and motivation.

Darkwave I saw you did a speed workout after the 5k. Did you change paces based on your current 5k or just go off of feel? I was almost amazed you were outside and had to do a double take. I assumed the treadmill was fixed just in time for the weather to be conducive to outside running.

Mikkey I honestly don't think cal will be back. I actually believe he stopped posting to Strava because there are no races so no point to chat about races. California is a really shitty place to be for COVID 19 sometimes. Although, I saw a few 5k and half marathon events.

Stevechch I HATE running hills. I almost never pay attention to the elevation in Garmin, and only care about it when I'm actually targeting hills. Mostly for ultra marathons since there aren't any flat ultra marathons near me.

Piwi Isn't Japan where a mass of people cut the course and were banned from ever racing it again? Maybe some of those 2:10 guys took a wrong turn.

Me

Skipped long runs this week, and mostly all running. Just other things going on. Long runs canceled when my oldest was awake, and mom wasn't. He isn't old enough for me to leave him with some Cheerios and a movie until his mother wakes up. Plus we had family fphotos. Too bad because it was a really nice day. Sunday....I think I just blew it off as a wasted week. March 14 5k attempt. Maybe I'll be stupid and try to break 20 again...off hopes and dreams.

Did someone say Alaska race?

Perfect timing for a CIM tune up.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

RP the Lake Biwa marathon is an elite event. I think you have to be sub 2.30 just to go in it.

Mick the photo with all the kids is on the previous page. Here is the other one 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Running Problem

Problem Child

RP: you got a picture with Sally MacRae!!!!! Incredible and cool stuff about the Auburn schools. Glad to hear that, hope it stays that way. Watching all those Western States videos I thought you have like 5 4-5 pacers but you ran with SeattleMax for a long time. Amazing. Envy you both, must have been awesome.

I forgot about this..

Yeah I fangirled out HARD when I "met" Sally. I'd followed her on Social Media and she's really positive all the time. Gifted too. When I saw her walking towards me I had this " should I say hi, or should I leave her along because she is probably pacing a potential winner." I just casually said "sally?" as if I didn't know it was actually her, asked for a photo, then told her I follow her only and really like her stuff." She just strikes me as the "I'm really happy you enjoy it, and I'd still do it if I didn't have followers because I like doing it" type of person.

As for the number of pacers, I think it's limited to one on the trail at a time, and bigger crews would rotate in pacers. With Max it was an attempt for a sub-24 that went into "Just Finish" and it was the biggest emotional roller coaster of my life. I was thinking about it when I did my run on Thursday. Trail looked NOTHING like I remembered it, yet still seemed just as difficult when I'd run 3 miles or 30 miles.  Something about meeting online running friends keeps good memories in mind. Maybe it's because I've never had a bad event when my imaginary, or less than imaginary, online friends and I meet up.

off to try a faster 10x400m R workout. Ideally it will feel easy with a recovery equal to about 2.5 times the running portion. Thanks to Jmac  and zeb for the advice to work harder and do a 10x400m to see where I'm at.

Oh yeah...I held the 8ish pound (assumption) (3.62kg) baby today. My left bicep is sore. Time to get SERIOUS about working out.

edit

markymark wait...we need judtification beyond "im a runner and this is my professional sttire for when ts time to clock in and do some work."?

VDOT 53.37 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Yeah I fangirled out HARD when I "met" Sally.

Wouldn't you have been a fanboy or am I making an assumption...

piwi - I'd rather be on my haunches and have finished in front than calmly giving an interview!  That's assuming I'm remembering right that you beat her?

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Running Problem

Problem Child

Wouldn't you have been a fanboy or am I making an assumption...

piwi - I'd rather be on my haunches and have finished in front than calmly giving an interview!  That's assuming I'm remembering right that you beat her?

I most definitely identify as, and am a, male. My internal emotional excitement was more along the lines of this.

VDOT 53.37 

Marky_Mark_17

Hope the cold went away. Your speed is still awesome and I LOVE the titles. I'm jealous you can actually forecast races.  

Thank you, master.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

Thank you, master.

Practice. If we're ever face to face you're more than welcome to react accordingly.

VDOT 53.37