Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

RP congratulations you just made the longest post in sub 1.30 forum history 

Mick yes 10k takes alot of strength to hold pace right through. Similar training to half marathon. I remember been in awe of runners who could hold 4 min km pace or faster for races when I started.

Keen that temperature sounds perfect at 9c. I'm not sure about the shoes but I would hope you could wear the super shoes. There are some good video reviews on those sauconys. What time are you targeting?

I feel I'm about 1.25 form right now based on my tempo which I think I could hold for 15kms but then I think I would start slowing. Need a few more weeks and longruns.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi - No, never had that during a run. Nice week and good consistency above 80km per week.

I think you are at 1h24 or faster Half shape right now.

You should probably race soon before you’re over the peak.

Mark - I remember I thought it was weird that you could run through colds. I guess age is catching up to you.

Zeb can still do it, but I reckon he's one of the youngest here?

Jmac - How's that dad strength going? Still stronger than the kiddo? I hope you guys are having a grand time at the mountains with all that open space. Manhattan can be quite crowded.

Steve - no blood pressure but if it were that it wouldn’t surprise me considering 99% of my family has high blood pressure issues including my younger siblings.

Mine has thankfully always been around 120x80.

That long run approaching 2 hours is very tiring indeed, especially with a faster segment built in.

Mick - once again great job at the 5k time trial. It’s super hard to dig deep in a time trial situation.

Like you said it’s unlikely that you will continue to reap the same level of reward from the plan.

You probably can do another 6 week 5k block and still reap some good gains, maybe even sub 21.

But after that you’re probably better of training for a different distance.

Since you’ve got constraints on how much mileage you can run at the moment, I’d highly recommend training for the 1500.

Your mileage level is perfectly fine for 1500m training and you will gain a ton of speed.

I imagine your Strava followers must be puzzled by who’s this new coach “Flavio”.

James - thanks, dark chocolate aka best chocolate is certainly a nice idea before a run.

Darkwave - Now that you mentioned it, it could certainly be those 5G rays that cause covid as well LOL

Did you notice any calf issues for running with an incline on the TM?

Keen - It lasted the whole run, just a lightheadedness, weird stuff.

No slacking, you will PR on that Half. Just follow uncle Flavio's recipe: Go out hard and hang on for dear life!!! 

me - It seems that dizziness from Sunday's long run was a one and done thankfully. My root cause analysis points to eating too much fried stuff on Saturday's lunch. My body has been telling for a couple of years now that fried stuff is no good but I keep eating it from time to time, always suffering the same consequences, that feeling that you ate an Elephant and your digestive system is pulling all the resources.

It's probably time to do a checkup.

Nice workout today, pulling the brakes at times because I was going too fast. 12 days to go, gotta arrive healthy to my "race".

My wife was supposed to "race" this Sunday, but picked up a weird achilles issue and is on the injury bench at the moment.

She never had achilles issues, it always used to be hamstring.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Piwi - The temp would certainly be fine by itself, but the increase over what I've been training in is the worrisome part. It's something that everyone will be dealing with the same, though. The forecasted rain could actually help it feel better to my way of thinking - the only real downside would be possibility of lesser traction.

I don't have a specific goal time in mind, I'm just going to see what I can do. Anything sub 86 minutes would be great.
        This race is actually the USATF Oklahoma HM Championship. Between that and it just being one of the first "real" HMs in a long time the field could well be stacked.

Flavio - Good to hear that the lightheadedness didn't last past the run. DD1 had some stomach issues after one of her games this weekend that was almost certainly due to the fried stuff (chicken & fries) she ate for lunch before the game (game at almost 8pm). That's something we'll be cutting out for her in the future before games, she doesn't want to go through that again.
        I gave up deep fried stuff myself a while back for multiple reasons, and have felt much better avoiding them myself.

Starting a new job tomorrow morning!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Flavio I notice I often feel nauseous after deep fried fish and chips.

I hadn't considered peaking etc. I guess because I haven't had a plan or goal race to aim for. My aim was just to stay consistent with mileage above 80kms. The half is may 16th so now I can work around that. I'm feeling a little fatigued and haven't quite shaken the cold fully.

I meant to say in my above post that I could hold that tempo pace for 15kms not 10kms  and then slow.

Keen congratulations on the new job. Funny how we acclimatize to certain temperatures. Right now its becoming a little chilly here as I have to wear a shirt instead of a singlet in the morning 

1.26 or faster is a nice target. Wishing you a fast race.

Our local half has been canceled due to uncertainty over snap lockdowns. I wasn't targeting this one anyway.

I won't enter the other one till a couple weeks before.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Keen you get to race?

https://www.facebook.com/pg/GoldCountryRunandSport/posts/?ref=page_internal

5k and half marathon canceled. "The summary is that the 2021 Gold Country Half Marathon is canceled, but the 5K Event will be held, likely in June or July!"

wait...YOU WORK? Dude you run like 100 miles a week. I thought you were a coach or semi-pro or some kind of YouTube blogger.

Maybe I need to travel across the country to do more than a time trail. Sunday is another attempt to break 20. For some reason I feel like doing it again as part of an organized group run for the virtural 5k Leprechaun Chase. They apparently ordered shot glasses. A buddy offered to try and pace/provide race atmosphere if he is guaranteed a shot glass. I laugh because they guy never raced before and never saw the point of it.

I had a female ask me if she should go for a 3:30 marathon, or just a 3:50 to PR. She ran 8:00/mi with us on Sunday and is aiming to break 21 on Sunday. I told her to base it on her 5k, and if she gets even CLOSE to 21:00 she better not do anything less than BQ in her second ever marathon. I also warned her "I'm the wrong person to ask that to because I'll tell you to go checkers or wreckers."

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

flavio - I find that if I run on Wednesday night and do a workout, then do my recovery run first thing in the morning on Thursday (as I tend to do as I now work from home on Thursday and Friday), I sometimes get light headed or nauseated.  It's worse when it's been hot so it seems likely to be nutrition/hydration related for me.  It hasn't forced me to stop but I've come close when the world spins more than usual.

I finally ordered some VaporFlies this week - now I'm anxiously waiting for their arrival in a couple of weeks.  I recall JMac saying they're worth 5 seconds per mile/3 seconds per km so I can't wait to try them out.  I'll use them for one workout then for the Christchurch Half and see how I go.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Damn Steve nice on the new shoes. That 3 sec/km sounds right. What sort of money did that set you back ?

I'm waiting till New Balance fuelcell rebels are back on special for under $140. No carbon plate but some decent pop in them.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

350 big ones but there is a 60 day return policy so I figure if I use them a couple of times it is low risk.  And I'm happy to pay that to save 2+ minutes in a marathon or 1 minute in a half.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Steve- welcome to the club.  I reckon 3 secs/km is probably not far wrong.  They feel a bit weird to run in if you're just jogging but as soon as you crank the speed up a bit you really notice the bounce and energy return.  They really shine when your legs are getting a bit tired late in a half as that bounce just makes it that much easier to maintain pace even when you're fatiguing.  I'd definitely go for a workout in them to get a feel for them, then CHC half seems like a great opportunity to try them out.  I ran a big workout yesterday in an old pair of VF's and it reminded me how good they are.

To be honest given you generally run in heavier ASICS trainers I wouldn't be surprised at all if you got more than 3 secs/km out of them.

Keen  - congrats on the new job!!  Hope it goes well.  I find the VF's go just as well in wet conditions so I don't see how the Saucony's would be different.  I don't find traction is really a problem in the VF's, it would only be an issue on corners anyway and the VF's are weird on corners regardless.  All the best for Saturday.

Flavio - bummer about your wife.  Achilles niggles can be really frustrating.

Piwi - bummer about the Tauranga Half.  It's hard for the standalone races I guess.  The bigger guys like Running Events have got themselves organised now with backup dates in case of lockdowns.

RP - good week, everyone is beating me on mileage at the moment haha.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

RP - good week, everyone is beating me on mileage at the moment haha.

You must have forgotten about me.

Steve - great decision, you will love them. As Mark said, you notice them at the end of the race. I also found going uphill was much easier with them. If you told a non-runner you're paying that much for 3 seconds a KM they'd laugh at you. But it's totally worth it!

Piwi - I think at this point you've bought like 5 pair of shoes because you don't want to pay for the VFs when you could have bought two pairs of VFs for the same price  

Keen - good luck on a new job. Been at mine for almost 11 years now, can't even imagine what it's like to start brand new.

Flavio - loving all the outdoors. The trail I run on surrounds a lake with a beautiful view of all the surrounding mountains. I think the only way to live in Manhattan is to get out frequently (no, that's not an oxymoron). We have been fortunate in our careers and are able to do so. I would have gone insane more than 5 years ago if we were always stuck there. The only time you can get peace and quiet in Manhattan is if you go for a run in Central Park in a rainstorm because nobody else is in there, plus I've always found running in the rain to be very peaceful.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

You must have forgotten about me.

Funny thing, I did actually think about you when I was out running this morning and hoping you were over the recent hospitalisation - and that perhaps a comeback might be on the cards!  Hope the family is all doing well.  It's crazy how fast kids grow up.  Ours turns four next week and honestly I have no idea where the last four years have gone.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

I think about Jmac briefly  especially when I run past the Jmac builders sign down the road.

Jmac I could use that logic on my wife. $350 still seems crazy for a pair of shoes. If all I bought was Next % would they cover all my training runs ?

Marky_Mark_17

I think about Jmac briefly  especially when I run past the Jmac builders sign down the road.

Jmac I could use that logic on my wife. $350 still seems crazy for a pair of shoes. If all I bought was Next % would they cover all my training runs ?

There is a McKean Road in Whenuapai that I run past sometimes.  Almost but not quite!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

Marky_Mark i might beat you in mileage but you definitely win on speed. Even got the golden ticket to Charlie’s Chocolate Factory. Are speeding tickets yellow in the land of....what was it? Trees made of endangered species?

I think about JMac every time I see my arm warmers.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

RP: that story about your older little one made me laugh. Sorry. I know they call it terrible twos, threes, fours for a reason. They are angels when they are asleep SmileThe thing is, and many parents will likely agree (Piwi et al?) - time passes so quickly and all of a sudden you got to get yourself a dog because they are just grown up. Will watch that Nomadland movie for sure - if its not on Netflix I will find a way to get it somewhere.

Flavio: I have a huge following on strava, and you will be the new Renato Canova in no time, if I continue to call you Coach Flavio Smile Especially if they see that a loser like me can jogg a little less slow after only 6 to 8 weeks of following your brilliant 30 word training plan. A genius (just like the one Renzi referenced, at 43 seconds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGR-3VfV_1g). I know you are pushing now your favorite distance on me - and I can totally see that I could benefit. 1500 meters is just such an odd number - why not 4x400 or just a mile? Not that I want to move from the beloved metric system, but I guess its really up to me to massacre your training plan. I hope that I dont injure myself in this second training cycle and will then reach out for your suggestions on the 1500m workouts (early May).

Do they still have those golden tickets in the Wonka Chocolate? Wow, totally forgot about that!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!