Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Quick drive-by. I'll try getting a proper RR up soon, along with more shout-outs.

Flavio - Bother that lockdown business!

Mick - I do use a Stryd, and have for probably 5 years or so at this point. I love the thing, really. For easy runs I use my 1st power zone as a "do not exceed", even if running harder feels easier. For workouts I translate race-distance intensity to a power number and use that rather than pace. This (along with doing workouts by time rather than distance) helps with doing workouts on roads and rolling hills and keeping the intensity where it should be, rather than trying to adjust by pace.
    It's a good deal less expensive here in the states, and I only know of them ever putting it on sale (and even then only ~10% off) one time per year: Black Friday.

RP - Great job on the race-like 5k distance run. Still sounds like a great concept.

Zebano - Thanks! Aside from perhaps having to get up somewhere between 30-45 minutes earlier than I have been I don't think the new gig will interfere with running at all. And well done on the Goggins-inspired craziness.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve: great week! Quick question: does your watch not allow you to use the lap functionality in order to create one entry only, including warm-up?

Yep, I do but I generally I do some light stretching after the warm up for a few mins.  Plus I don't think I want that included in my overall workout!  Ridiculous I know.

Mark - Buller is one that sounds great.  I think it has some decent climbing?  The scenery is amazing, based on the photos I've seen.  Out of interest, what are your international bucket races?

zebano - Great read and amazing effort.  I heard Lex Fridman talking about that challenge on a podcast a while back.  I briefly considered it....then changed my mind quickly!

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Okie Half Race Report

My (initial) goal race for the spring was the Okie Half, a second-year race that also served as the USATF state HM championship. A combination of this designation, a very flat course (nary an elevation blip to be seen), and it being one of the very few "real" races since the previous spring lead to a pretty solid turn-out in terms of participant numbers (140+) and speed (winner in 1:10:51).

Having not run much volume (relatively speaking) and few workouts from the middle of September to the start of January, my main training focus was to build back volume, reintroduce workouts, and make it to the race healthy so I could put in an honest effort. For the first couple months of workouts I rotated through a 3x (13x :30 on, :15 off) workout ("on" portions being 3k-5k effort) and 1k repeats at just at 8k-10k effort with 1 minute recovery, changing out the faster workout for tempo workouts (1 hour race effort) during the last month or so for more specificity.

Despite DD2 having the sniffles the week prior to the race, I managed to make it to race day without getting sick!

Race day was warmer and more humid than the weather had been in weeks preceding (~60F/15.5C temp and dew point), with rain off on from the few days and night before the race. Winds were ~10mph/16kmh from the SE. I figured that with the roughly triangle-shaped, multi-loop nature of the course that the wind wouldn't play much part overall, but this turned out to be incorrect.

The race course was on and around a converted civilian airport. From the starting arch the race took a quick right hand turn down a (former) runway, made a left onto a paved rail trail with trees on both sides that first ran SW, made a very gentle counterclockwise (anti-clockwise to non-Americans) turn to ENE, then back North before coming back around to the start area to complete the first 5k (finish line was literally inside an old aircraft hangar). The HM course then added in a multiple out/back section (~1.25mi/2km total) of a different runway (running NW/SE) before heading out on the initial 5k loop plus an extra ~300m out-and-back. Two laps of this secondary loop finished the course.

I went in to the race wanting to hold at least the running power Stryd suggested for the race (300W), thinking that anything around 1:26 would be a good result and a solid place to build from. After a warm-up and scout of the first mile or so of the course I changed into my race shoes (Saucony Endorphin Pro) and put myself somewhere in the second/third line of runners.

After the gun everyone strung out rather rapidly, with two groups of 3-4 people ahead of me and the rest by themselves and myself in 18th place. I settled into the effort I wanted quite quickly (it seems oddly more easy to hold a specific effort in the Endorphin Pros than any other shoes I've ever worn), and over the first two miles moved myself into 8th place.
        The rail trail the majority of the race was on was perfectly flat and had tree cover on both sides. I at first thought this would take most of the wind's influence away, but for the mile after the gentle CCW curve in the course we were quartering into the wind and the trees served more as a funnel for the wind than anything else. After that mile the course turned and wound its way back to the finish hangar. The last .1 mile of this was on dirt/gravel with some puddles left over from the previous night's rain, but footing was still decent.

Mile 1: 6:32, 302W
        Mile 2: 6:37, 306W
        Mile 3: 6:34, 306W

The two water stops on the course were after mile 2 and in the hangar immediately after the finish mats. I skipped the first stop, and the second was set off to the side a bit to where a cup couldn't be grabbed off the table at a run (no volunteers holding cups out), so no water for me until halfway through the second loop.
        After running through the hangar we made a left-hand turn for the first leg of the big additional out-and-back section on a runway, which turned us directly into the wind for the first 1/4 of this distance. A turn-around loop that was just big enough to be comfortable (rather than a hairpin around a cone) put us downwind for the next half of this out-and-back, and another turn-around loop brought us back into the wind before heading back out for the rail trail loop.
        Just before the first of these turn-around loops I was passed by a single person, and during this section I got a good look at most of the racers ahead of me, though the leaders were sufficiently ahead of me that I didn't see much of them at all. I was also able to verify that I had about a 10-15 second gap on the person who was (now) next behind me. The one person ahead of me who stood out was a man about my height (6'1"-ish) but probably 50lbs heavier than me. Not super-lean, but he obviously spends a good amount of time in the gym. "Surely there's no way he can keep this pace and I'll catch him before the end" I tell myself.

The second loop of the course was largely uneventful. The person who passed me very slowly continued to pull away, I maintained about the same space ahead of the few people closest behind me, and I started to pass the walkers/slower runners in the 5k (which started 15-20 minutes after the half) by my mile 6. I did manage to grab a cup of water off the table this time, though.

Mile 4: 6:32, 315W
        Mile 5: 6:42, 305W
        Mile 6: 6:35, 303W
        Mile 7 & 8: 13:18 304W

I took a gel at mile 6.5-ish, mostly as a way to tell my brain "you're not going to run out of fuel" rather than out of a physiological need for the sugar. Mile marker 7 was just after the hairpin turn-around on a small out-and-back stuck in the last portion of the course. The sign for this was on the left-hand side of the trail (traffic being on the righthand side), and also faced the "wrong" way - meaning the printed side wasn't facing runners when we actually hit the mile 7 mark. I absolutely saw the sign the first time I went past it, but missed seeing it after the turnaround.

After passing through the hangar for the second time it was back to the against/with/against the wind out-and-back section where I was again passed at almost the same point I had been on the previous loop. I also get a look at weight room guy on each of the turnaround loops and he's every step ahead of me that he was the lap before (perhaps 40 seconds). "How the deuce is he running this far this fast with all that muscle up top?" I ask myself.

Back into the tree-tunnel of a rail trail I'm starting to feel the effort more and more in my legs while starting to pass the back of the HM pack without seeming to make any progress on the two HMers directly ahead of me in the race. After hitting the 10 mile mark I tried pushing a bit harder, telling myself that I wasn't hurting quite enough yet and that "it's only a 5k" to finish. Thinking of my missing the mile 7 mile marker the first time around (now the mile 12 marker), I hit my lap button when I passed the sign *before* the turnaround - effectively hitting it a good deal early. Oops. Nothing like messing up the same lap in a race twice, each time a different way.

Thanks to the hairpin turnaround just prior to mile 12 I was able to see that the last person to pass me had passed Muscle Man, and I had gained just a bit on him as well (perhaps 30 seconds behind). Shortly after that turn around we hit the somewhat meandering final mile, and a volunteer who directed us onto the turn for this excitedly told me "you've got a man just up ahead, maybe 10 seconds! Go get him!"

"10 seconds? Don't lie to me!" I thought. Still, I pushed about as hard as I felt like I could this last mile, weaving around more people as I lapped them. I did manage to close perhaps half of the gap between myself and Muscle Man and gap the people immediately behind me a bit more, and finished in 10th OA in 1:26:40.

Mile 9: 6:41, 309W
        Mile 10: 6:45, 301W
        Mile 11: 6:32, 308W
        Mile 12 & 13: 13:13, 306W
        Last bit: :39 (6:07/mi, 3:48/km), 322W
        Average wattage: 306W

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the result of the race. It was my first real race in a year, and my wattage was higher than what was predicted that I could do (2% more, but I'll take it!), even though I was a bit slower than anticipated (Stryd predicted 1:26:28 - let's blame the weather and wind for those 12 seconds). I fully intended on talking to Muscle Man after the race, but he simply disappeared immediately afterwards. There was a BBQ food truck on site with a free meal included for all HMers, so I certainly availed myself of that (brisket!) before heading out.

Up next: A recovery week before probably just one or two little workouts before an 8 miler, 15k, and 5k in the next several weeks. Followed by likely working towards breaking 18 in the 5k and perhaps jumping into an odd 50k (completely unrelated to training, I know!) before hopefully starting a build-up to a fall marathon (fingers crossed for CIM).

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

darkwave

Mother of Cats

CK - great report and excellent job.  Regarding the ease of finding a specificl pace in the pros - do you think it could be the rocker sole forcing you to be very rhythmic?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Nice one Keen. You didn't mention anything about the course been long. Did you notice others strava were long?

The gel at halfway is always a good tactic to fool the brain .

Edit i checked 4 others in your race Keen who had it at 21.2kms so maybe your GPS reading long

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Flavio: I have a friend who uses the chest strap on his go-pro for skiing. And he said it was practically the same as the helmet. But I guess he wasn't straight forward, because in skiing you also move your arms a lot. I have been to Bologna once, we had a very nice meal by the old Basilica (don't ask me which one). There by the square I remember having a meal at a restaurant. We asked for Spaghetti Bolognese haha not knowing that this is then just Spaghetti with some broth. It was really not good. I will never go back Smile

Zebano: congrats great effort - Goggins is a bit nuts though. Did all of the people on the picture participate in this challenge? I gotta have a Jersey Mike's next time I am in the US.

RP: I think Strava should consider buying runningahead from Eric to connect both platforms. I would point out all the cheaters on there. Cool stuff, you are almost there regarding the vaccination! I am probably 3 months away from that, unfortunately. Is the Boston marathon happening this year? Like that comment with the heavier wallet! Hope Rune comes back stronger!

Keen: did your power pod measure the distance long? I am seriously considering this, maybe for my birthday! Bummer you didn't catch the muscle guy, neither on the last mile nor at the food stand. He probably went right back to the gym after the race. Impressed of how you were able to count the 17 others ahead of you. I am not that good at math when it comes to running. You passed another 10 runners during the race & you have got a pretty busy race schedule.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Zeb - Hope the recovery goes well Smile

Yeah those workouts were copy/pasted from the Hansons plan pretty much.

Next time I’ll likely add a bit more variety but keep many of them.

RP - using that app would require me to carry my phone with me. I have a gigantic phone (Huawei mate 20x), not so comfy to carry around.

The GoPro does have however 2 displays where I can see what it’s filming Big grin

I have no idea about the yellow before green, to be honest I never noticed that.

Keen - thanks for the race report! How is recovery going?

Mick - That is hilarious in many ways. There are so many tourist traps and restaurants with bad food.

I’ve learned that if they offer spaghetti bolognese they’re absolutely a tourist trap.

The locals from Emilia Romagna would spit on their plate if they see that.

Apparently Ragù Bolognese sauce (what is called Bolognese outside of Italy) is meant to be had with Tagliatelle, not spaghetti.

I can confirm it tastes much better. Also Ragù is a meat sauce that takes time for preparation.

In our previous visits to Italy we also had bad food experience many times in Rome, Milan, Venice and Florence.

It's bizarre to think there are so many good places to eat and somehow we tourists all flock to the worst places.

By the way I was furious the other day cause we ordered takeaway food and I ordered a Lasagna, and they delivered supermarket lasagna (those that come in a box).

Ok, this is the good stuff  Tagliatelle ragù. Note it's home made pasta, the sauce if full of meat and fat (scroll down for the bad stuff)

Tagliatelle al ragù

This is an offense to every Italian person in the world:

Bad food

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

zebano

Zebano: congrats great effort - Goggins is a bit nuts though. Did all of the people on the picture participate in this challenge? I gotta have a Jersey Mike's next time I am in the US.

Just a bit??? Regarding the picture, no, no one else in that was stupid enough to do the challenge. and no one else who did the challenge was stupid enough to show up for the 20k.  <-- Eric really needs a shrug emoji... oh except the guy who fell asleep Friday night and dropped out of the challenge... he thrashed himself by running a triple loop (60k) Sunday morning as punishment.

Keen - Great report and an amazingly steady effort. I think keeping a good rhythm is a great shoe endorsement. In many ways I wonder if being able to outperform a power metric is a superior way of looking at things than time. Or maybe that discounts competition too much. Regardless heck of an effort. Where did you come up with the Ronnestad workout? and why do you do it so often?

What does DD2 stand for? I'm coming up with daughter #2 but I have no idea what the first D is?

Steve I follow a similar pattern where I'll do my warmup, pause my watch to do some drills and dynamic stretches, then I start it and do my workout, using the lap button to separate the intervals. I like to record recovery, even if it's standing around but not stretching/drills...

Who is Lex Friedman? A quick googling says he's a scientist who works on robotics!! That's cool but why's he talking about 4x4x48??

Mick  Your free to point out all the cheaters on strava regardless, but how much free time do you really have??

Flavio - That top dish looks delicious. It's amazing what simply spreading the sauce around  and applying a filter can do to make food photogenic 

slightly off topic

Oh so I got an email yesterday about a USAT (Triathlon) Nationals -- both the Olympic and Sprint Distances. Apparently I qualified which I was a bit shocked so I clicked around the site a bit and everything seemed legit. I was a bit sticker shocked by the $140 cost to register but was considering it .... because it's "Nationals" which means there'll be amazing competition and it's in Milwaukee which is a 5.5 hour drive. Eventually I thought to check the membership number included in the email and it brought up my race results .... They were my sons!!

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

DWave - I do think the rocker sole does play a part since I don't feel that effect at all with my Altras, but I think the plate is involved as well. While I do feel a bit of that same ease of settling into a pace with the Endorphin Speeds it's far more noticeable in the Pros, and aside from a couple differences in upper construction the biggest difference is the nylon plate vs carbon plate in the sole.

Piwi - I had fiddled with how my watch converted distance from Stryd a bit in the days before the race, and I don't think I should have. The distance being off didn't have any effect on pacing, since that was based on perceived effort and power (power calculations being completely separate from distance/pace in Stryd). Most people I talked to afterwards had a distance much closer to the actual race distance.

MJ - As I mentioned above, I think the reading wrong was just due to me fiddling with a setting (that I changed back mid race, actually). I kept messing up the splits after making this change, though, so I couldn't validate the result in real-time like I planned.
                    Also, I counted everyone ahead of me within the first km or so. Multiple times, actually, to make sure I didn't mess up since I have trouble with math during races as well.

Flavio - Recovery is going oddly well. In the 10 days or so before the race my resting HR and HR for pace/effort were a good deal higher than usual (I had no other symptoms, so I don't think I was sick). Since the race my resting HR and HR for pace/effort are way back down to where I would expect them to be, and I've even been motoring along much faster than I would have expected at easy effort after the race. My legs are feeling great, so I might even do a workout Thursday rather than taking this whole week easy.

Zebano - Thanks! The Ronnestad workout is actually a slight modification of a cycling workout - I extended the rest between sets a bit to account for having to support my own bodyweight while running, instead of the bike supporting me and aiding recovery. It's difficult but oddly fun, which is why I do it so frequently. The super-short recoveries help with spending plenty of time at VO2Max. The first set is quite doable, the worst part is usually the last 3-4 intervals of the second set, but if you get through that there's a good mental boost that aids in getting the whole thing done.
                    Dear Daughter #2 - you were most of the way there. Of course when she misbehaves that first "D" could conceivably change to mean something else...

Tri nationals - Oof! That could sting just a bit! Good for your son, though.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Zeb/Steve - that's interesting. I do foam rolling and drills before the run. And stretching always after the run if any. I haven't done much stretching lately though. For Workouts I set them up on Garmin and sync to the watch. I always keep warm up and cool down set to "Lap press" though so I can do longer or shorter depending on the day.

The one thing I can't get right is that I always press STOP when the watch reaches :00, but I'm slow and end up pressing it after half a second so Garmin registers it as :01  instead of a perfectly round (and usually even) minute like 50:00.

Keen - sandbagger detected 

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

CK - Great race and thanks for the RR.  I agree with RP that you are due to put it all together in the full soon.

zebano - Thanks also for write up, in theory it sounds easy but having to get up then power down so many times in such a short window would be very hard going.  Lex Friedman is friends with David Goggins I think, and also does Brazilian jiu jitsu so his podcast is more varied than just robotics and science.

Flavio - Ha, no wnder my 70 minute runs that vary from 70-75 drive you so crazy!

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Keen - nice RR and well done.  Complimentary post-race BBQ sounds excellent too!!  Those multi-lap courses can be challenging for something as long as a half but it looks like you paced it well especially considering the wind in places.  Aside from the wind it sounds like a really fun location for running!

In other news, there are some rumours going around that Whenuapai HM might've been cancelled.  I half expected this anyway given it's now head to head against another (bigger) event only 5km away but it means that my Quite Ridiculous Plan to run back to back 10km's will probably have to be canned.  Oh well.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

zebano

Zeb/Steve - that's interesting. I do foam rolling and drills before the run. And stretching always after the run if any. I haven't done much stretching lately though. For Workouts I set them up on Garmin and sync to the watch. I always keep warm up and cool down set to "Lap press" though so I can do longer or shorter depending on the day.

The one thing I can't get right is that I always press STOP when the watch reaches :00, but I'm slow and end up pressing it after half a second so Garmin registers it as :01  instead of a perfectly round (and usually even) minute like 50:00.

Have you considered just cropping your run after the fact? or does your OCD not work like that?

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Flavio im loving the pasta porn 😋

It seems traditional food gets changed alot. I wonder what Mexicans think of Taco Bell and Indian Curries were a British invention.

Keen 4.05 km pace for a half is really good. You must have been quite exposed to the wind on an airport. 140 runners still seems very small.

I include my warmup in workouts with the lap button. If I was stopping to stretch i would stop and pause my watch.

I prefer to finish on an even distance number even if it means running back and forth past my house a couple times. 

Struggling with low energy runs this week. Monday slow 7kms and Tuesday cut short to 7kms as well. Taking today off. I'm due for a cutback week after 10 weeks of 50 miles or more.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

watsonc123

Keen - nice race.

RP - nice race.

Zebano - I don't whether to congratulate or call in the men with white coats for what you did

I have been very busy, with work, a tech User Group, cricket coaching and exam preparation.  I passed the exam today, and cricket finishes this weekend.  So I will have time to post here.

Shoulder slowly getting better.  Hardly ran recently.  Old leg injuries/niggles have improved, so hopefully time off has helped.

Got a 18km with 1000m elevation race in a month.  I have a 43km with 2000m elevation race in July.  So I really need to start running!

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25