Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

watsonc123

Flavio - nice 5km.  There's no way I can run my best on a time trial.

Some nice weeks in here.

Mikkey - I think the JT comment was a copy and paste error?

My week is below:

Weekly for period: From: 28/12/2020 To 03/01/2021

Date Name Distance
    in km
    Duration Avg Pace
    per km
    Elevation Gain
    in m
    29/12/2020 Afternoon Run 9.00 00:49:11 05:28 19
    30/12/2020 Afternoon Run 2.01 00:11:55 05:56 4
    31/12/2020 Afternoon Run 10.01 01:00:45 06:04 28
    01/01/2021 Afternoon Run 2.35 00:12:56 05:30 7
    02/01/2021 Afternoon Run - Intended Steady, End Up as Easy Back 10.00 00:48:14 04:49 20

Total distance: 33.37km

Sunday was the first non-easy run since October.  I could only hold steady pace for 5km, it was also a little warm.

Plus four strength/rehab/prehad sessions.  Three fully shoulder based, the other a mix of shoulder and lower body.

Elbow is almost right now.

Shoulder is muchbetter.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Flavio I know Mikkey ran a 5k in the cheater Flys and reckons they were worth quite a few seconds.

Mikkey cmon get your copy and paste sorted out 

I'm not seeing you on strava much. Are you not logging on there?

Watson nice to see you back with some kms.

RP you need to be more confident of your ability. A sub 3 marathon is no joke 

Darkwave we are still waiting for the Lady Gaga photos 📷

Jmac where you at ? Nice to see a Strava entry from you.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Zeb - Yeah, this peaking business is super important and it seems most of us are in the dark with regards to it.

It’s a very difficult fine line, we can see it in important competitions when some athletes sometimes underperformed because they misjudged their peak (and they’re working with pro coaches).

Piwi - Marco’s diet is going to http://www.thisismikeys.com/ every day 

Mikkey - thanks for the intro, it’s always good to hear your inputs.

Mark - Yeah, I need to get the body used to this recent higher mileage, the gains will come when I can get comfortable at this 50 miles per week range.

RP - May the soon to be newborn be healthy and have a long life.

Darkwave - I see, have you considered trying out the flats again for one race? I can imagine it must be very hard to sprint on top of a fluffy set of springs. Of course I don't know the Nike shoes, but I find it impossible to sprint on the Altra paradigm for instance.

Sorry to be pestering you  I'm on the outside of the shoe revolution and I want to believe the flats are still good for the shorter races 

Watson - It’s great to hear you’re on the other side, almost.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

zebano

Flavio I absolutely agree, I just don't know how to avoid peaking other than avoiding 3k work.

Piwi

😠 - you're an excellent NBA troll

Watson Welcome back, congrats on the first non-easy run

RP I've done the oreo diet before but I try not to. Venom > Rockstar and the lemon flavored venom is the best.Congrats on the new addition to the family. I hope everything goes smoothly but it never does.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

flavi thanks.

zeb I'll have to look fro this Venom drink. Produced by Dr. Pepper? I like it already. Sponsors the Detroit Red Wings, Boston Bruins and Pittsburgh Penguins? Might have to reevaluate my "like."

Piwi I know a sub 3 is POSSIBLE. I just have to get back there. My run yesterday probably contributed to a mysterious 40 minute nap on the couch, and waking up sore. Almost as if running is physically demanding, and I'm getting OOOOOLLLLLLD. I also forget your weather is the opposite of ours. I don't know what it's like to celebrate Christmas in hot weather.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

zebano

RP Who is your team then? I grew up with the North Stars for a little bit but they left town early in my life so other than a couple brief years where I watched the Wild to see Marion Gaborik I've ignored the NHL. I  am a coffee freak, but for some reason I've started using Energy Drinks as a pre-race caffeine hit / psych up although I forgot it at my 5k TT last week. They're also nice in that when I do stupid early runs  (or drives to parks to run with the club) an energy drink sets in the stomach easier than coffee does. Bang - Rainbow Unicorn was my goto (bonus - 0 calories) until the local grocery started selling Venom for $0.99 and I have to say the Venom just tastes better than Bang does.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Flavio there's definitely a lack of green in those food photos 

RP i haven't run sub 3 since 2014 and like you I find that quite intimidating pace now for that distance.

We moved here in 1975 from England and the hot Xmas thing was hard to get used to at first.

Also all the best on your next child. I'm at the other end with my youngest now 15. Alot more freedom as he doesn't want the embarrassing father hanging with him 

My oldest son 23 still runs and surfs with me so thats really cool.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Watson - Congrats on the first workout back! May it be the first of many.

RP - I've said it before and I'll likely say it again, but a sub-3 like yours (and others) does seem SO FAST from my point of view.

5k: 17:58 11/22 â”‚ 10k: 37:55 9/21 â”‚ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 â”‚ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

Zebano San Jose Sharks. I grew up in the area and at one point was able to get into the locker room. I actually saw a gentleman wearing a Sharks hoodie on my run today and it was OOOOOOOLLLLD school...like early 90s just based on the logo and lettering....and the shade of "teal" it is. I switched to caffeine pills before my marathons and for shorter distances I'll just have a cup of coffee. The logic was less "non-essential" fluids on race day. My fried grew up a North Stars fan and his father said "next year we can go to a game." they moved to Dallas the next year.

Bangs.....ugh. Those hit "the scene" (gas stations) and just went all in on advertising and being out there for all to see. Those just taste like candy to me. I don't hate them....it's just not what I want to drink. A buddy drinks those and Costco here sells a 24 or 28 pack of them. Venom is 99 cents at walmart. NOW I know why I haven't seen them anywhere (I avoid walmart at all possible costs).

piwi great. we can hobble down the streets of Boston together regretting  going out at a 6:45 pace and slowing to around an 8:15/mi pace.

keen if you'd quit having problems you'd realize it's not THAT fast. I mean....when you spend like 4 hours walking in a marathon I can understand how stuff is fast. Good luck on the Texas race this year. Better get that speed game going strong. Everyone has had 2020 to train for race day.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

keen if you'd quit having problems you'd realize it's not THAT fast. I mean....when you spend like 4 hours walking in a marathon I can understand how stuff is fast. Good luck on the Texas race this year. Better get that speed game going strong. Everyone has had 2020 to train for race day.

I have two definite ideas I'm going to implement to avoid the issues that plagued my previous two marathons (Dallas 2019 and Cowtown 2020):

1. Stay away from my family the week before the race. A stomach bug worked its way through the entire family prior to Dallas, and it didn't hit me until during said marathon 
                      2. Don't travel south (or specifically to Texas) for marathons. Starting temps of 55-60F (12.7-15.5C) dew points at (Dallas) or near (Cowtown) the same temperatures for a marathon in winter is simply unacceptable. 

My next marathon needs to be in Alaska!

5k: 17:58 11/22 â”‚ 10k: 37:55 9/21 â”‚ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 â”‚ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

My next marathon needs to be in Alaska!

I actually considered going up there this last year for a race. I forget which one but it was pretty much the ONLY race I found on the Western 1/3 of America.

http://anchoragerunfest.org/

The course map looks scary until you look at the elevation change. 17% of finishers got their BQ. It would probably be windy the day you showed up.

Humpy's is a bar downtown that I think some TV show went to. Order the Oosik Amber. I'll explain the slogan after.

You could also look into the Death Valley marathon in January. I think they have 5k - full marathon distances.

VDOT 53.37 

Marky_Mark_17

Keen - sounds wise!  I agree if you're going to travel, it's worth going somewhere with optimal marathon conditions, I seem to recall one year you travelled to one of those races in Texas and got hit with temps considerably worse than that.

Watson - good to see you back at it.

RP - wifey and I can barely manage one, the idea of a second is terrifying.  Good luck!  Also I'm with Piwi and Keen.  A sub-3 marathon is very tough.  I know plenty of good runners that took multiple attempts to get there (including a sub-1:15 half guy) and some that never did.  Be proud of it!

DW/Flavio - I've raced 5k's in the Next %'s, both on the road and track.  I liked them.  They are designed for longer races but I found them effective over shorter ones.

RP/Zebano - I'm a Red Wings fan.  Hasn't been a fun few years since Lidstrom, Datsyuk and Zetterberg all retired and Ken Holland's woeful roster management sunk us.  Yzerman seems to have a plan but it won't be a quick fix and to be honest these shortened seasons are quite helpful for limiting the amount of misery I have to endure.  Seems a far cry from 2008 when I remember watching us win the Stanley Cup when I really should have been studying for CFA.  But we won and I passed haha.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

@Mark I dont care for hockey; I am more of a baseball person (A's) but do share the painful 3 year CFA experience (and glory) with you. Congrats thats much bigger than any of your incredible achievements on the road!!! At least for Finance nerds.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Running Problem

Problem Child

Mick I don't call myself a baseball fan however I DO claim to be an Athletics fan instead of a Giants fan. Way too many of those. I might could watch a few basketball games however living on the Best Coast measn it's warriors/lakers all day every day. Maybe I'll spend all spring watching baseball with my MLB app.

markymark ugh....wings. Back in 2008 was when they just DOMINATED. They killed us every single game in San Jose. An old neighbor was a wings fan and him and I became friends for a short while during the Wings/Sharks playoffs. I think the following year the Sharks became the THIRD team to have a 3 game lead in the playoffs then lost four. I was at Game 5 (I think) when the Blues and Sharks played. 4 hour drive home after a loss. Just made a long day longer. Sadly, I was more proud of the BQ-5:50 than I was the sub 3. Not buy much....the goal was just more about boston and less about sub 3. I sometimes think people are shocked when they find out I've broken 3 hours, yet want the whole group to slow down from their 8:00/mi pace.

I think I found what I want to aim for leading up to February. Consistency. Same loop and possibly close to the same 8:15/mi pace. It should always be a morning run. Before work can ruin my day (happend a LOT in 2020, and 19....and 18....) and while it's cold out so I don't let all this winter gear go to waste. I have the gear to make the weather less of a factor. I need the "no excuses" approach to come back.

VDOT 53.37 

Marky_Mark_17

@Mark I dont care for hockey; I am more of a baseball person (A's) but do share the painful 3 year CFA experience (and glory) with you. Congrats thats much bigger than any of your incredible achievements on the road!!! At least for Finance nerds.

Congrats to you too!! CFA is definitely very tough.  That Level 2 exam was probably the hardest exam I've sat in my entire life.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"