Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

watsonc123

Zebano - I have narrow feet.  I went US 11.5, hindsight should have gone US 11, I do runners knot on these for tightness.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

watson - Sounds good.  I suspect that will be the preferred option at the shop I'm going to visit.  Unfortunately, it looks like I won't get it sorted in time unless they have them in stock.  According to the website they're sold out of all racing shoes but maybe they'll have a pair just for trying on.

Flavio - Yep - I think my training last year, while not leading to the results I expected, may set me up to break through.  Now I'm changing up my training with more volume and different terrain and I may have struggled to do it so quickly without that base.

Zebano - Not my photo.  It must have been taken within weeks of the earthquake when it really wasn't too safe up there and it pre-dates drones (used by the public anyway) so the only other option is helicopter I think, but it seems quite close.  There is a gondola which runs close to that particular section but I would have expected that not to be running in the weeks after when there were still huge aftershocks (and who would take a gondola ride then?)...but you never know.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Steve I wonder what they do with returned shoes. They obviously can't sell them as new.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I wore them once for 5 mins gently walking around the house...would be a good market of people willing to buy them for a discount I would think.

2024 Races:

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I wore them once for 5 mins gently walking around the house...would be a good market of people willing to buy them for a discount I would think.

Walking gently around the house in a pair of Vaporflys is probably not a good idea 😁 ...they are designed for running fast! My original VFs are actually half a size smaller than my other running shoes.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Walking gently around the house in a pair of Vaporflys is probably not a good idea 😁 ...they are designed for running fast! My original VFs are actually half a size smaller than my other running shoes.

The first time I walked in them I thought a) WTF are these and b) these are the most unstable shoes I've ever been in. It felt like my ankle would snap in half if I ever tried running in them. That feeling of the foot hanging off the shoe was very weird. So i guess this is all to say I don't know how you can judge this shoe without running at least a KM at tempo pace in them. They cannot be judged by how they feel walking, because they feel dumb.

Flavio - unbelievable result. One of the things that sucks about just casually running here and there is I haven't been as focused on what you guys are doing here more than just casually. I knew you were training well, but didn't realize it was this good. Congrats!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Piwi, Steve, and Marky Mark Y'all doing okay with the flood/monsoon/rain weather coming your way? Hope you make it to race day Mark.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

Flavio Congratulations on the PR. WAAAAAY faster than anything I could do.

shoes I trained in my Zoom Flys leading up to CIM. I bought two pairs and did my marathon paced runs on Thursday with them. I wanted to feel confident in them and at the end of the day I hd the money to spend and it felt like the only thing I HADN'T tried. I was glad I did it many times because they felt so different. I think they're done for me around 150 miles just because I drag my foot at 5k and marathon pace. Same spot wears out on my Zoom Fly flyknits as literally every single shoe I've worn since I started running. Outside left heel. Unsure why.

I'd try the Carbon X just because they're different. I have money for a pair of the most expensive Nike Carbon fiber shoes should I want a pair. I was planning on buying them for an attempt at a 2:54 but at this point I think I've lost a lot of that passion.

I won a pair of Hoka Mach 4s on a demo day. I was happy with a headwrap/hoorag/balaclava and a shirt. I guess I'll have to give them a shot with some upcoming 5k-marathon training. I need to train and get the speed back since I feel like a calculated 3:10 marathon isn't good enough.

James Hope you heal up a lot. Pain becoming less is a good sign. I recall my ankle hurting a LOT around this time last year and I could run through the pain at miles 4, but around mile 8 it became too much and I just wanted to walk.

Steve Looks like where I'd drive my jeep.

Piwi I'll never forget seeing people at the Chicago Marathon wearing the Vaporfly 4% shoes like they were sketchers. Obviously NOT runners. I equated it to wearing Michael Jordan basketball shoes to school. Style points I guess. Walking around in $300 shoes gets some people cool points I guess.

My week...I took it off doing other projects and it just kept going longer and longer and longer. The weather was too nice for running.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

I am SO far behind! 5 pages here, and even a couple in the marathon forum. Whew! The new job hasn't given me much time for virtual-socialization during the day.
                    The race calendar should be up-to-date, but let me know if I've missed something.
                    Just a few comments before doing more of a deep-dive into what all I've missed.

James - I think I did a bit more than 2 miles to warm up. Most was easy, but I did do maybe 500m at race effort and a couple strides towards the end of it. For whatever reason I've typically been pretty good at getting right to race pace early on.
                    Groin doing better?

Flavio - WOW! I take it back, I'm in nowhere near the shape you are right now. Incredible result just looking at the time. I'll be reading that RR (TTR?) when I circle back.

Me: Guaranteed PR this Saturday, so long as I don't DNF, given that I've never raced an 8 miler before. My legs are kinda feeling like garbage right now (I may try a light workout Thursday), but pace for effort/HR has been pretty good the last few days.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Thanks RP but you have the wrong country. Thats Australia 

Piwi, Steve, and Marky Mark Y'all doing okay with the flood/monsoon/rain weather coming your way? Hope you make it to race day Mark.

I really want to try a different carbon shoe to the vaporfly but they still seem to be head and shoulders faster.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac - Did you feel like running would rip the shoe?  Was it that level of tight?  I'm leaning towards Endorphins now.

piwi - You can't expect someone from Canada to know the difference between New Zealand and Australia 

2024 Races:

JMac - Did you feel like running would rip the shoe?  Was it that level of tight?  I'm leaning towards Endorphins now.

piwi - You can't expect someone from Canada to know the difference between New Zealand and Australia 

LOL someone from Canada Smile

When RP mentioned it I thought for a second well the East Coast Low is drenching NSW but is set to move down to Victoria and Tasmania. But he can't be meaning Tasmania, can he? Anyways good to know that you other "Australians" are fine.

I always get this mixed up: so NZ is on km, kg, cm? Do you drive left or right? How about dates: day first or month first?

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I should have also said I appreciate the concern from RP.  It looks devastating in parts of NSW.

Mick - Everything in New Zealand is metric.  km, cm, kg etc.  There's the occasional exception though, come to think of it.  Generally when discussing a person's height it is feet and inches.

2024 Races:

watsonc123

NZ is generally day first, then month, for short form.

3/4/2021 is 3 April 2021

Longer can be 3 April, 3rd of April, April 3 or April the 3rd.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Running Problem

Problem Child

Thanks RP but you have the wrong country. Thats Australia 

I really want to try a different carbon shoe to the vaporfly but they still seem to be head and shoulders faster.

I just saw the weather was hitting Australia and New Zealand on the map displayed on tv.

VDOT 53.37