Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

JMac - Did you feel like running would rip the shoe?  Was it that level of tight?  I'm leaning towards Endorphins now.

piwi - You can't expect someone from Canada to know the difference between New Zealand and Australia 

Don’t you group me in with those French speaking syrup suckers. 

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

NZ is generally day first, then month, for short form.

3/4/2021 is 3 April 2021

Longer can be 3 April, 3rd of April, April 3 or April the 3rd.

My company is international, and I send a lot of emails back and forth with people in other countries.

I've learned to ALWAYS go with the longer version of dates, so as to avoid confusion on April 3 v. March 4.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

zebano

yyyy/mm/dd -- no confusion and when used as the start of a file name (i.e. photos) it will sort them by date, even when the files are sorted by name!

Yes, international emails need to be explicit.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

NZ is generally day first, then month, for short form.

3/4/2021 is 3 April 2021

Longer can be 3 April, 3rd of April, April 3 or April the 3rd.

But when you say this out loud don't you say "April Third, Twenty Twenty-One", rather than "The 3rd of April..."?

Madness!!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

zebano

But when you say this out loud don't you say "April Third, Twenty Twenty-One", rather than "The 3rd of April..."?

Madness!!

I prefer to use Ides, nones and kalendspeople's! Of <insert month> just to confuse people!

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

You Americans are crazy. Next you will be pronouncing Adidas and Subaru wrong 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Fingers crossed it looks like everything is go for this Sunday's 10km race at Run the Point, unless something catastrophic happens in the next few days (which is not impossible).

Weather looks like it might be a bit on the warm side, but I'm just excited to be racing given it'll be third time lucky for this particular event.

With Southern Lakes HM only 5 weeks away now, I'm feeling a little underdone on the race mileage (having not raced since Dec) so may have to chuck a parkrun 5km in there some time over the next month as well.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark - Fingers crossed a certain person doesn't feel like some attention.  Knowing you, you'll slot into race mindset pretty quickly.  And your training has been great lately.

With the ChCh half in 2 weeks, I almost feel like I'm in sub 1:30 form based on last night's workout and how I've pulled up today.  The coach is keen to make it marathon pace, which is 1:40.  I think I could do 1:35 and not need any recovery so I might try and talk him round.  Or perhaps I shouldn't be so impatient and just stick to the plan.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Running Problem

Problem Child

You Americans are crazy. Next you will be pronouncing Adidas and Subaru wrong 

Sue-BAHHHHH-ruuuuuu or Rue-bah-rue (insert cartoon Great Dane laugh here). Either way it’s a weird way to say Volkswagen. #TheWorldIsFlat 
                    AH-Dee-DAS like Das Boot not UHHH-DEEEE-daaaaaahhhhs right? 

dates it’s pretty hard to mistake something so simple as ‘Monday, the Twentieth day of April, in the year of our Queen, Barbara Walters, Twenty Twenty, we shall meet, at dawn, to engage ourselves in glorious parading.’

I typically have to deal with time zones so ‘your time or my time’ matters. Having ‘a call at 3’ might change the phone number you call during non-work from home life. I’ll answer and be awake just don’t act shocked when you’re not the only one who thinks 3pm is a foolish time for a conference call.

steve that workout looked awesome!

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Marky_Mark_17

Two days to the race, keeping fingers crossed!

Steve... I dunno, you might wanna keep a bit of flex in the plan.  If you're feeling great come race day, you may well wanna have a serious crack at that half PB.  If not, you can always cruise it a bit more.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

With the ChCh half in 2 weeks, I almost feel like I'm in sub 1:30 form based on last night's workout and how I've pulled up today.  The coach is keen to make it marathon pace, which is 1:40.  I think I could do 1:35 and not need any recovery so I might try and talk him round.  Or perhaps I shouldn't be so impatient and just stick to the plan.

So you paid money to enter a half...and aren’t going to race it?  All my tempo training runs are free of charge and start at my front door.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

So you paid money to enter a half...and aren’t going to race it?  All my tempo training runs are free of charge and start at my front door.

I entered it last year as a goal race.  It got cancelled and my entry rolled over to this year.  I had planned to upgrade it to the full but had a niggle in January and moved my plan for a full to late June so I'm still left with the half entry.  I could race it but I need 2 weeks recovery then a slow build back up to avoid injury post-race (as I've learned the hard way many times).  So if I race it I interrupt training for my main goal which is only 11 weeks after the half.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

I'm in the same boat here.  I'm still on the start list for the full marathon for CHC for exactly the same reason... entries from last year got rolled forward and weren't refundable.  I won't be running it because my goal half is 3 weeks later and there's no real point spending money on flights and accommodation just to make use of an entry (even if I was to downgrade to the half), would rather focus on the goal race.  If I lived in CHC I'd probably do exactly what Steve is doing - just go out and run it as a tempo run.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I entered it last year as a goal race.  It got cancelled and my entry rolled over to this year.  I had planned to upgrade it to the full but had a niggle in January and moved my plan for a full to late June so I'm still left with the half entry.  I could race it but I need 2 weeks recovery then a slow build back up to avoid injury post-race (as I've learned the hard way many times).  So if I race it I interrupt training for my main goal which is only 11 weeks after the half.

Race the half, ditch your coach....and your friends from RA will guide you to a marathon PR in 11 weeks time. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Corey - Hey it’s great to hear from you. How’s training going on lately?

Flavio doing well, but still struggling a little getting mentally back into training, unlike your display of mental fortitude, again what an awesome performance in a TT.  I've managed to work my way back up do about 28 miles per week on 4 days/week no real WO just slow going

No concrete races planned yet, but looking to run a 1 mile race in Aug. and hopefully I'll be back to racing some HM in 2022.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)